Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
We’re at the point that people are driving around with dash cams, purposely putting themselves into dangerous situations for the sake of being able to post a video that purportedly shows them being right and someone else being wrong. Yeah, the guy who makes an unannounced turn from a lane over is in the wrong, but you’re a dumbass for planting yourself in his blind spot and ignoring all of the warning signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

vehicular stand your ground

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Person in the pickup probably forgot he had a trailer.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

charliemonster42 posted:

I, too, fail to understand the American obsession with diving into the shoulder while half-braking for an emergency.

I think that a lot of people just don't have any idea how hard a car can actually brake. They half hit the brakes, lurch forward in their seat, and think that's about it. I'd be interested to know how many people have actually put their foot all the way to the firewall at highway speeds and ridden that all the way to an emergency stop.

I partially blame the lackluster driver's ed here in the US, and I think another part of it is somehow related to the switch to ABS. People who learned (poorly) to threshold brake but never had to do it taught their kids to drive an ABS car but didn't understand how much of a difference it makes, then they taught their kids, etc. Should you be careful not to lock up your tires in a car with ABS? Yes, absolutely, but chances are good that you probably won't die in a modern car if you lock the tires for a moment.

Plus, I bet ABS engaging scares the poo poo out of people and they let off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

This is definitely a part of it. Most people think something is broken when they hear/feel the ABS pump get going. But like you said, this is a huge driver's ed issue.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah I remember our drivers ed teacher telling us to push it as hard as we can until we felt the pedal shaking and keep it down. That was so much fun.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

Should you be careful not to lock up your tires in a car with ABS? Yes, absolutely, but chances are good that you probably won't die in a modern car if you lock the tires for a moment.
Did you mean “without”?

Do they still make modern cars without ABS outside of specialty cars? Even the Viper has had it for years. I guess stuff like Morgan or Caterham may well not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Short of your ABS failing or using your park brake, can you lock up your wheels on a modern car?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I guess what I meant was more that you should try to be cognizant of how hard you're braking and how much control you have over the car, even with ABS. Slamming your foot to the floor and hoping for the best is still better than a half-hearted attempt at stopping while swerving.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I "instructed" for Tire Rack's Street Survival teen driving program once and I thought the most valuable exercise was the "steer while braking hard" one. We started them off with straight-line braking to get a feel for ABS and then had them accelerate towards a cone, brake hard, and then steer left or right while continuing to brake. They weren't told/shown which way until they were already hard on the brakes. It's truly one of those things that a new driver isn't going to understand until they experience it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

Short of your ABS failing or using your park brake, can you lock up your wheels on a modern car?
No, but I was trying to slow-walk the point home :v:

you ate my cat posted:

I guess what I meant was more that you should try to be cognizant of how hard you're braking and how much control you have over the car, even with ABS. Slamming your foot to the floor and hoping for the best is still better than a half-hearted attempt at stopping while swerving.
I agree that you should try to be aware of how to control your car, but I gotta be honest, I have no idea what you're saying beyond this.

Unless it's "the person in the BMW was an idiot", in which case I also agree.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Unless it's "the person in the BMW was an idiot", in which case I also agree.

Pretty much just this, and that I think most people in the US don't get taught how hard they can brake. I tried to hedge a little toward "always be in control of your car" because I figured that this is the internet and someone would be along to tell me that ABS isn't magic if I didn't. If you're trying to get more out of it then I think you're reading too far into it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
My ABS actually worked too well one time. I had a guy in front of me jam on his brakes so I had to as well and I ended up coming to a stop a good 10 feet behind him.

Which caused the dude behind me, who was either not paying enough attention or not hitting his brakes hard enough, to slam into my rear end.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

Pretty much just this, and that I think most people in the US don't get taught how hard they can brake. I tried to hedge a little toward "always be in control of your car" because I figured that this is the internet and someone would be along to tell me that ABS isn't magic if I didn't. If you're trying to get more out of it then I think you're reading too far into it.
Your word choices are making your point ambiguous.

Large Testicles posted:

My ABS actually worked too well one time. I had a guy in front of me jam on his brakes so I had to as well and I ended up coming to a stop a good 10 feet behind him.

Which caused the dude behind me, who was either not paying enough attention or not hitting his brakes hard enough, to slam into my rear end.
Odds are good he'd also have hit you if you were 1mm away from the guy in front of you, which would have then involved THAT vehicle, so ... ABS did good, driver behind you did bad.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 25, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1463940444744785929?s=20

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Reminds me of that story where an Evo was confiscated in the UK and cops who were driving it ended up crashing into a house.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-officers-seize-high-powered-sports-898068

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel like the headline doesn't accurately convey the severity of the incident. I scrolled down to the images and it was a lot worse than I was expecting!

quote:

Police officers seize high-powered sports car - then crash it into garden wall

loving ding dong coppers.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is a British local paper and thus everything is stuff upper lip understated.

Mr Tall
May 6, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

I think that a lot of people just don't have any idea how hard a car can actually brake. They half hit the brakes, lurch forward in their seat, and think that's about it. I'd be interested to know how many people have actually put their foot all the way to the firewall at highway speeds and ridden that all the way to an emergency stop.

I partially blame the lackluster driver's ed here in the US, and I think another part of it is somehow related to the switch to ABS. People who learned (poorly) to threshold brake but never had to do it taught their kids to drive an ABS car but didn't understand how much of a difference it makes, then they taught their kids, etc. Should you be careful not to lock up your tires in a car with ABS? Yes, absolutely, but chances are good that you probably won't die in a modern car if you lock the tires for a moment.

This is definitely a thing. When you feel the ABS kick in it feels like something has gone wrong. I only really learned how hard you can brake and how much grip is there once I did a few track days.

Would that be wise for kids getting their licence though? Maybe teach how to do hard stops properly? When I got my licence, it was pathetic. Stomp on the brakes from about 15mph - cool, we're not dead, you passed.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I like the idea behind this bumper sticker but I don't think it would actually prevent tailgaters.

The only bumpersticker I ever saw that made me back off was a cluster of USMC + Vietnam Vet stickers and a license surround that said "Get off my rear end!"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
So people with poor eyesight should be following more closely?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

dissss posted:

So people with poor eyesight should be following more closely?

They should be wearing corrective lenses if they have myopia.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel like the headline doesn't accurately convey the severity of the incident. I scrolled down to the images and it was a lot worse than I was expecting!

loving ding dong coppers.

The Fast and Curious

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Easychair Bootson posted:

I "instructed" for Tire Rack's Street Survival teen driving program once and I thought the most valuable exercise was the "steer while braking hard" one. We started them off with straight-line braking to get a feel for ABS and then had them accelerate towards a cone, brake hard, and then steer left or right while continuing to brake. They weren't told/shown which way until they were already hard on the brakes. It's truly one of those things that a new driver isn't going to understand until they experience it.

Same, but I think the straight line braking with the ABS engaging was almost as important on its own. I have instructed at those schools for several years and pretty much every student I have had takes 2 or 3 tries to actually get the ABS to come on and hold it to a stop. Unless they have previous training getting the ABS to engage, everyone is afraid of hitting the brakes too hard. It doesn't seem to matter how you tell them to hit the brakes: "stomp on it with all your strength" just doesn't register until they do it and they don't even get close to ABS engagement.

I know someone that had an accident where the told me they had time to pull the handbrake before hitting the other car. When asked if the ABS came on, they said no, they were keeping the wheels from locking up :psyduck: If they had actually used the ABS and steered around the other car there would have been no accident. Of course target fixation was probably an issue here as well.

Accident avoidance/skid control should be a mandatory part of driver training IMO.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A lot of people also have the seat adjusted such that combined with not sitting upright, they probably can't push the pedal fully, without overextending their leg and foot. I've also seen people brace against the steering wheel, which is just no no NO.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

I did an exercise at Bondurant like this once, except they had a light setup and three lanes. You were supposed to maintain speed up to a point when the light would come on for an "obstruction" and you'd have to either dive right or left without braking, or brake and stay center.

As a bonus it was actually soaking wet the day we did this. The stated goal of the exercise was to show that even compared to a full ABS panic stop, swerving into a clear lane would get you into a safer space in less distance than stopping in the obstructed lane.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mid-Ohio School uses that same drill.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I hope they had to shoulder check the lane they were diving into before doing so. Training people to dive into a lane which they aren't sure is clear seems like a bad idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I hit a tree. How can I pretend that that is someone else’s fault?”

quote:

Looking for some legal advice (we live in Scotland) for my sister (H).
We live in north east Scotland and were hit pretty hard by storm Arwen. Lots of road closures due to fallen trees and other debris and this is relevant for later.

My sister was out in her car and was on her way home from being out with her girlfriend. They were driving a country road and H estimates she was going no faster than 30min due to weather conditions and the fact it was pitch black (no streetlights). There was a tree fallen on the road and my sister ended up crashing into the tree and has caused significant damage to her car. It has come to light that the road was closed by our local council but there were no warnings anywhere on her journey such as a traffic cone or sign to divert her or tell her to turn back. Within 10 minutes of the accident there was another at the other side of the tree where another vehicle did the same as H.

The council did post to their Facebook page and website that the road was closed but there was nothing actually out on the road. H had to return to the scene once a recovery vehicle arrived (there was over an hour wait and H was freezing cold so was picked up my our mum to go home and cosy up) and there was still nothing in place. When she spoke with a local police officer they were shocked / surprised that there was nothing in place to say the road was closed and mentioned doing something about that.

H is trying to prepare for insurance claims etc and wants to know if she can take this up with our local council as there was no warning about the road closure. Would she be able to claim any compensation from them since she is not at fault? Will the insurance company take this into account or fight on her behalf? Or will she have to accept blame?

She’s currently completing an apprenticeship so is very worried about how she will fix her car and settle her finance debt if the car is written off.

I have photos of the accident I can share if they would be of relevance and I can do my best to provide more info as I know I have mindlessly rambled here.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I hope they had to shoulder check the lane they were diving into before doing so. Training people to dive into a lane which they aren't sure is clear seems like a bad idea.

That and you run the risk of having people run off the road to avoid hitting animals, which is more dangerous than just t-boning that deer.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

“I hit a tree. How can I pretend that that is someone else’s fault?”
If the council actually has the responsibility to close the road, it sounds like they didn't do it right.

Otherwise, agreed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

She should keep her eyes open for sure but what kind of organization closes a road via facebook?

e: Assuming the op isn't full of poo poo of course

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

slidebite posted:

She should keep her eyes open for sure but what kind of organization closes a road via facebook?

the only consistent communication from my city about road closures is via Nextdoor.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

slidebite posted:

I get good road closure information from Neighborhood on my ring door bell thing. From people who are on there asking if every honda with a fart can exhaust backfiring is gun shots.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh for sure I get announcing a closure on social media, but you still need to put a barricade, sign or a pylon up on an actual closed road. The OP was saying there was nothing else.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Well the council didn't close the road as much as a tree blocked the whole road and the council warned that it was blocked on Facebook, it wasn't a planned closure.

There was already a warning against all but essential travel due to the weather. It's likely they didn't have the staff to set up signs everywhere roads were blocked, even if they would stay up in the wind or didn't consider it safe to send staff out onto roads with falling trees and people driving faster than was safe for the conditions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God dammit I'm a moron. I thought it was closed before, because of some sort of work, not because of the tree.

Carry on :saddowns:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Since the 11 foot 8 bridge got sadly neutered I now enjoy videos from the the Milwaukee Roundabout - Lots of great ones here,

https://www.youtube.com/c/milwaukeeroundabout

What gets me is that if you check the road on street view its really not a bad bend at all - I guess lots of people are just playing with the phone or expecting the road to be straight.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Posting road hazards on facebook is hilarious. It satisfies none of the legal requirements, but it does provide solid evidence that you knew about the hazard, appreciated the danger, and still didn't send out a truck to put up some cones or w/e. Obviously the details depend on your local laws, but this seems very silly to me.

(just to be clear, the driver is also silly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Since the 11 foot 8 bridge got sadly neutered I now enjoy videos from the the Milwaukee Roundabout - Lots of great ones here,

https://www.youtube.com/c/milwaukeeroundabout

What gets me is that if you check the road on street view its really not a bad bend at all - I guess lots of people are just playing with the phone or expecting the road to be straight.

I studied the road on street view a while back and it was changed to a roundabout 10 years ago at the same time the bridge was improved. Lots of people driving 50+ when it's posted for 30 or so. You can see a lot of skid marks on the approach.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 8, 2021