Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I looked up Fort Triumph on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/

X-COM and How I Met your Mother?

"Fantasy parody" description of the writing does not inspire confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oof, just bounced off BPM: Bullets per Minute really hard. I like fps games, I loved Necrodancer, should be a gimmie right? Wrong. I got it in the Humble Monthly thing, and am upset at myself for not following my own advice:

Always buy games on Steam directly, so you can refund them if needed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A good poster posted:

That Steam game is just a rom packaged with a Genesis emulator, so if it does play better on whatever free Genesis emulator you have you can just put the rom into your rom collection guilt-free.
When my M30 came I downloaded the free Sega games that were up on the Play Store, I wonder if you can grab the roms from those.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Xarbala posted:

No, the writing's not good. But there's not much of it. It's about the combat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazon has a steam key for mass effect legendary for $9.99.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Everyone I've heard talk about BPM said that it was a great game, but not one they could handle. All of them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kazzah posted:

Everyone I've heard talk about BPM said that it was a great game, but not one they could handle. All of them.

I love BPM - even beat it a couple times, on default difficulty - but the art style(?) certainly is A Choice the devs made

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mescal posted:

No, the writing's not good. But there's not much of it. It's about the combat.

Yeah, the non-combat parts of Fort Triumph (also some of the combat parts) are pretty much strings of groan-worthy puns and terrible "jokes," but one that I kinda liked was the mage's reason for becoming an adventurer: she needs money for next semester's tuition at mage school, and adventurers make pretty good money.

An example of the humor: the currency is beets, as in the vegetable. You grow beets at your base and they are used to improve the base and hire more adventurers. They're beetcoins.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 24, 2021

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was three games, the first of which was the only one to come out officially in English. There's translation patches for the other two Scenarios now (and a retranslation for S1 to make it more in line with changes to the others), and thankfully Saturn emulation is pretty good now.

What do people use for Saturn emulation these days? I always wanted to play Panzer Dragoon Saga and other exclusives that never made it off the Saturn.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

-Saving the game during ongoing housefire results whole house burning down
-Raging car fire can now kill Player
-Fixed issue with fast spoiling rate of food when Shopping Bag is in the Fridge
My Summer Car keeps going.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SelenicMartian posted:

My Summer Car keeps going.

One of these days I'll find out what the gently caress My Summer Car is about. So far I have "janky survival car mechanic simulator", but I keep adding things like "open world", "racing" and "eastern Europe drunkenness simulator" to it.

EDIT: I think at some point you go on a road trip with your uncle?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fat Samurai posted:

That's Jalopy.

I haven't actually played MSC, but to me it seems to be a relatively detailed car mechanic simulation with an open world that has full "game design by 12-year-olds" style a.k.a. "it would be cool/funny if you could do X, even if it doesn't have real gameplay value". In this case it seems to work pretty well, if you're into jank.

Also, a hefty load of nostalgia/in-jokes for millennial Finns.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fat Samurai posted:

One of these days I'll find out what the gently caress My Summer Car is about. So far I have "janky survival car mechanic simulator", but I keep adding things like "open world", "racing" and "eastern Europe drunkenness simulator" to it.

I keep confusing it with Jalopy myself. But Jalopy takes place in Eastern Europe, My Summer Car is set in Finland. Jalopy is also a bit more lo-fi, whereas My Summer Car looks like an asset dump that is gradually mutating into an actual game.

e;f,b

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pairofdimes posted:

What do people use for Saturn emulation these days? I always wanted to play Panzer Dragoon Saga and other exclusives that never made it off the Saturn.

Mednafen/Beetle Saturn in retroarch. You'll need a BIOS and might have to make some weird control binds on account of the six face buttons, but otherwise most everything works well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Only if story is the thing you want in a Tactics game, like some kinda freak :colbert:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Serephina posted:

Oof, just bounced off BPM: Bullets per Minute really hard. I like fps games, I loved Necrodancer, should be a gimmie right? Wrong. I got it in the Humble Monthly thing, and am upset at myself for not following my own advice:

Always buy games on Steam directly, so you can refund them if needed.

It took me a bit to get comfortable with the rhythm in BPM. I got there, and you can too (probably). I found the game pretty neat!

The main thing I found that increased my abilities in the game was to basically practice jumping around and reloading. Weapons like the shotgun that you have to pump too some getting used to.

The other thing is: don't play this like an fps; try and basically strafe in big circles around the room instead of running straight at things (yes, it is as ridiculous as it sounds and very effective).

Play on practice mode first! It really helped me learn the game better.

Oh, and calibrate a few times. The first couple times I calibrated, I must have done it wrong because I had piles of delay. Once I got the calibration right, everything was much easier.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sab669 posted:

Only if story is the thing you want in a Tactics game, like some kinda freak :colbert:
I'd imagine the story in FFT would be pretty good with a halfway competent localization. I should play WOTL someday.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kazzah posted:

I beat it with most of the characters but the last two or three all have gimmicks on some variation of “don’t ever take a single hit,” which is more than I’m willing to put up with

even Melted from Nuclear Throne gave you some leeway

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Commander Keene posted:

I'd imagine the story in FFT would be pretty good with a halfway competent localization. I should play WOTL someday.
They make it Shakespeare. :tipshat:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ciaphas posted:

I love BPM - even beat it a couple times, on default difficulty - but the art style(?) certainly is A Choice the devs made

Yeah I beat BPM on hard with all of the characters except for the final woman, and I never warmed up to the aesthetic. If I had a list of gripes, that would absolutely be my #1.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I should play Disco Elysium again

https://twitter.com/terrified_kid/status/1434944345812226049?t=cHJzLxb8s9CDq18TO0VI3g&s=19

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I beat BPM on hard with all of the characters except for the final woman, and I never warmed up to the aesthetic. If I had a list of gripes, that would absolutely be my #1.

same, pretty much. though in truth I think Helheim and Nidhogg's arena (and Nidhogg) look pretty ok - maybe even good??? - with the weird filtering

in any case while it's bad most of the time, i can at least ignore the strange graphics okay. The music kicking rear end helps, too :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAFiuEaCBU

(e) I couldn't pick a favorite track so y'all get two yt embeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NEeeju30Y

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 24, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pros to beating Hollow Knight: satisfied, great game, 10/10, might be my favorite metroidvania

cons: sad about the Hollow Knight

cons: silksong's eta is still ????

:negative:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I'm about 5 hours in with Subnautica - where do you guys decide to build buildings, like the Scanner Room and the Moonpool? Do you start from where your original ship is or go somewhere farther away?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Busy Bee posted:

So I'm about 5 hours in with Subnautica - where do you guys decide to build buildings, like the Scanner Room and the Moonpool? Do you start from where your original ship is or go somewhere farther away?

I built where I started at near-ish to the drop pod and was fine. You end up not needing the base all that much in the latter half of the game so while I've seen people making multiple bases throughout the game I never really found it necessary.

How's Killsquad for $13? Probably better co-op than solo I imagine?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

cons: silksong's eta is still ????

:negative:

Cancelled, you didn't hear?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

You start generally in the middle of the map, so anywhere in the safe shallows is a fine place to make a base which you can use for the whole game. of course, as I replayed the game in early access a couple times the temptation to find more exotic base locations was too great to make more than a temporary starter base in the shallows.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

I should go back and finish Hollow Knight, something about the White Palace completely killed my momentum.
Really excited for Silksong though, HK was such a pleasant surprise for the metroidvania gerne.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

:mods:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Hard to go wrong with the shallows as they are in a pretty central spot. If you want to get more fancy, find a scenic thermal vent somewhere and use it to power the base.

For extra fun, build a scanner room in the kelp forest and get some camera drones :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I have two base locations I really like. The first is over any of the entrances to the jellyshroom caves. They're all close to safe shallows, kelp forests, and grassy plateaus, so you have lots of different resources nearby. At least one of them is fairly close to a thermal vent too.

When I want a deep base for the endgame, I always build near the tree cove in the lost river, just because it's the safest area anywhere near the final zones.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serephina posted:

FFT:A was like a fever dream for me, a bunch of forgettable stuff happens and then suddenly the protagonist is yelling at his friends for not returning to IRL, because apparently they had full character development arcs happen offscreen sometime? Also Chocobos.
Doesn't FFTA also fail to establish that the new world isn't real? Like, Marche just assumes it but the player is never really presented with any clear evidence of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they aren't really events anymore, but next Steam sale starts in a half hour

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mednafen/Beetle Saturn in retroarch. You'll need a BIOS and might have to make some weird control binds on account of the six face buttons, but otherwise most everything works well.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The 7th Guest posted:

they aren't really events anymore, but next Steam sale starts in a half hour

The odd sensation of seeing the frontpage for it but none of sales being live yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
How long does it take for deal info sites to update their data?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

:hmmyes: Thank you algorithm.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Deathloop already being 50% off is surprising to me. Think that one's a wait a year until it's on game pass game for me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Persona 4 is $13.99

I’ve been meaning to play it for a while now.

Or 11.79 on fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/p...cj_aid=13212017

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 24, 2021