Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah going with Charge, does just seem more flexible that way especially with poo poo movement as a dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Time to pump deception then :toot:

HidaO-Win posted:

Ask your GM for Free Archetype or the cheeky beloved by Hobbits 2nd Free Archetype and then take Beastmaster. If the GM is a meanie its still relatively cheap feat wise.

Have your animal friend flank with you.

2nd Beastmaster Dedication
4th Mature Beastmaster Companion: Key as it increases your animal companions stats and gives it a free Stride or Strike if you didn’t Command an Animal
6th Your choice
8th Incredible Beastmaster Companion: Pick Nimble, it’ll end up with better AC than yours.
10th Your choice
12th Your choice
14th Side by Side: Get a flank if both you and your companion are adjacent to the same foe.

It’s the Strength of Thousands path so we’re already getting free extra classes, but I’m a gnoll rogue so maybe dipping a little bit for a bro wouldn’t be terrible :nyoron: I’m deffo playing it as they’re a scout and whatnot for their tribe so having a bit of animal bro flavor wouldn’t be awful

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Pathfinder Society last night. I think I’m starting to understand the game. Did just level for the first time so I need to figure that out.

Did have a situation where one player got poisoned, and the sheer amount of math necessary to keep him alive was mind boggling. Why doesn’t an antidote potion just cure poison?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Last night our 4PC party of level 6 characters had a 'boss fight' on turn 1 my 34 hp 25AC samurai got dealt almost 90 damage from 1 flurry of blows.

I just wanted to share this pain with you all.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pyronic posted:

Last night our 4PC party of level 6 characters had a 'boss fight' on turn 1 my 34 hp 25AC samurai got dealt almost 90 damage from 1 flurry of blows.

Why on earth did you only have 34 hp as a supposedly frontline character? A 10 con Halfling Wizard will have 42 HP by level 6.

An 8 HP race/10 HD class with 16 con should have nearly 90.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Chevy Slyme posted:

Why on earth did you only have 34 hp as a supposedly frontline character? A 10 con Halfling Wizard will have 42 HP by level 6.

An 8 HP race/10 HD class with 16 con should have nearly 90.

DM wants us to roll for hp per level and I rolled a 2, twice so far. I've got a +1 con mod.

(This is PF1e btw)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pyronic posted:

(This is PF1e btw)

A ha.

But also, god rolling for HP is dumb and bad.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Pyronic posted:

were you fighting like a Giant monk or something or like multiple crits drat

at least you got pasted beyond recognition rather than just dying by a little

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

sugar free jazz posted:

were you fighting like a Giant monk or something or like multiple crits drat

at least you got pasted beyond recognition rather than just dying by a little

He had a boxer-theme with a 'ring man' who provided him with buffs, so a brawler I believe.

and yeah the 3rd attack was a crit for i think like 52 damage.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

real good rolls from a cr8/cr9 with buffs could definitely do that, especially if they had time to prepare.

sometimes i miss PF1's absolute insane level of bullshit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
don't forget to retrain for max hp in pf1 no matter what kind of hp rolling you're doing

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Arivia posted:

don't forget to retrain for max hp in pf1 no matter what kind of hp rolling you're doing

Was going to remind that you can do this, yeah. It takes a fairly small amount of money and a more significant amount of time, though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I've moved in with two pathfinder players, and a third friend is DMing 2E, and now I'm DMing Strength of Thousands starting in January. So it's contagious. I really like the tightness of the numbers and high-level players being guaranteed a certain dignity on skill checks.

Does anyone have advice for DMing or playing Strength of Thousands? I'm using Foundry.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cheston posted:

I've moved in with two pathfinder players, and a third friend is DMing 2E, and now I'm DMing Strength of Thousands starting in January. So it's contagious. I really like the tightness of the numbers and high-level players being guaranteed a certain dignity on skill checks.

Does anyone have advice for DMing or playing Strength of Thousands? I'm using Foundry.

I've allowed players to use the free archetype rules but it has to be a magic using class. There is also not a lot of filler combat in the start of Book 1 so if players are expecting that then try to come up with some random encounters. There is a lot of roleplaying and conversations so be sure to know the cast of classmates and their back stories.

You can also import the Adventure Path PDFs right into Foundry if you've purchased them. This saves a ton of time.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The strength of thousands players guide explicitly recommends free archetype for a spellcasting class, I believe, to allow for party balance and not just full parties of wizards and druids.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Golux posted:

The strength of thousands players guide explicitly recommends free archetype for a spellcasting class, I believe, to allow for party balance and not just full parties of wizards and druids.

Yeah, but the Free Archetype can only be wizard or druid. And Fried Watermelon, I think, allowed them to be, like, part-time Maguses and poo poo.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Megazver posted:

Yeah, but the Free Archetype can only be wizard or druid. And Fried Watermelon, I think, allowed them to be, like, part-time Maguses and poo poo.

Magus would make sense. The reason is that in-universe the Magaambya is pretty much a school for wizards and a few druids, but I would imagine that Magi and (arcane or primal) Witches would probably be easy enough to work in.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Golux posted:

Magus would make sense. The reason is that in-universe the Magaambya is pretty much a school for wizards and a few druids, but I would imagine that Magi and (arcane or primal) Witches would probably be easy enough to work in.

I would figure by that token you might be able to get arcane or primal bloodline sorcerers in there too. They'd be essentially the art department or the theater department compared to the rest of the university.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's also "collegiate attendant" archetype. You take a point of training and you take that and you're in Wizard School

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 25, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Golux posted:

There were Magaambyian Bloodrager and Psychic and Arcanist archetypes back in 1e

There's a lot of wiggle room imo

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Thanks! I'm allowing any other class with a wizard/druid dedication, or wizard/druid with any other dedication, and one player has already opted for Druid with a Barbarian dedication.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

There's also "collegiate attendant" archetype. You take a point of training and you take that and you're in Wizard School

You actually get this feat automatically if you level your chosen school Branch up to the 3rd level through the downtime mechanic they have in the adventure path.

I'm playing up the idea that some of the branches are interested in pursuing new types of magic so I'm allowing pretty much any class or archetype if the player comes up with a compelling reason.

So far I can't really see a detriment from allowing more than the wizard/druid dedications

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I have a Lore question, is there anywhere that has more information on the Cosmic Caravan? The one wiki article I found goes through the constellations and the Abomination Vaults players guide mentions which deities are part of the Caravan, though it doesn't say which deity corresponds to which constellation. Is there any further information somewhere? My char in our AV game might find religion so I want to learn about the Caravan.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

I have a Lore question, is there anywhere that has more information on the Cosmic Caravan? The one wiki article I found goes through the constellations and the Abomination Vaults players guide mentions which deities are part of the Caravan, though it doesn't say which deity corresponds to which constellation. Is there any further information somewhere? My char in our AV game might find religion so I want to learn about the Caravan.

I believe all of the deities in the Caravan have write-ups in Gods & Magic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Occult Mysteries for 1e had a section on it, that’s what the wiki article is mainly referencing.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey! I'm playing a sorcerer in a Pathfinder 1E game. Just got to level 15. Can someone recommend a good sixth level and a good seventh level spell?

So far I have True Seeing, Disintegrate. Summon Monster VI, Create Undead for sixth and Finger of Death for seventh.

I have spell focus in necromancy, and have a very high Dex so I use a lot of rays. I think I get Greater Teleport automatically at this level from my bloodline.

Suggestions?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey! I'm playing a sorcerer in a Pathfinder 1E game. Just got to level 15. Can someone recommend a good sixth level and a good seventh level spell?

So far I have True Seeing, Disintegrate. Summon Monster VI, Create Undead for sixth and Finger of Death for seventh.

I have spell focus in necromancy, and have a very high Dex so I use a lot of rays. I think I get Greater Teleport automatically at this level from my bloodline.

Suggestions?

Just general good to broken spells-

Level 6 spells: Greater black tentacles if you feel like ruining the game, Chains of Light, Flesh to Stone,
Level 7 spells: Reverse Gravity, Forcecage, Plane Shift

edit on second thought, just get scrolls of Antimagic Field and Waves of Exhaustion

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

sugar free jazz posted:

Just general good to broken spells-

Level 6 spells: Greater black tentacles if you feel like ruining the game, Chains of Light, Flesh to Stone,
Level 7 spells: Reverse Gravity, Forcecage, Plane Shift

edit on second thought, just get scrolls of Antimagic Field and Waves of Exhaustion

And a Mnemonic Vestment

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

By level 15 I vaguely remember moving away from Mnemonic Vestments if you have someone in the party who can craft wondrous and some downtime to craft, although I'm forgetting exactly what the good options were.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah I'm trying to homebrew a Greater Mnemonic Vestment that works 3 or 5 times per day but I can't figure out how much to price it at.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The Golux posted:

Yeah I'm trying to homebrew a Greater Mnemonic Vestment that works 3 or 5 times per day but I can't figure out how much to price it at.

easily 100k or more in a campaign with crafting, that poo poo would be bonkers

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Playing Pathfinder 2e for the first time. Anyone have any tips on oracle? Just keep track of my curse progress, right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jarvisi posted:

Playing Pathfinder 2e for the first time. Anyone have any tips on oracle? Just keep track of my curse progress, right?

Same as any divine caster: If your mystery doesn't give you a decent offensive cantrip, think about using a feat from somewhere else (probably ancestry) to get one, if available.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Toshimo posted:

Same as any divine caster: If your mystery doesn't give you a decent offensive cantrip, think about using a feat from somewhere else (probably ancestry) to get one, if available.

I took lore. So is brain drain a useful cantrip?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jarvisi posted:

I took lore. So is brain drain a useful cantrip?

Brain Drain isn't a cantrip. It's a Focus Spell. So, you'll only be able to use it once (initially), and have to recover your Focus (typically 10 min activity out-of-combat) in order to use it again.

The divine offensive cantrips are:
• Daze - Low damage, ineffective against mindless enemies.
• Disrupt Undead - Only effective against undead
• Divine Lance - Only effective against creatures of opposite alignment
• Haunting Hymn - Low damage, very short range
• Chill Touch - Touch range only, weak against undead, ineffective against constructs

The other spell lists have a bunch of actual factual damaging offensive cantrips. It's not that you can't play a character with low offensive capability, it's just that if the GM running for you balances around having everyone having a strong offense, it does a lot of combats, you'll definitely feel lacking in contribution at times.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Do what you can to get Electric Arc, its broken

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Toshimo posted:

The other spell lists have a bunch of actual factual damaging offensive cantrips. It's not that you can't play a character with low offensive capability, it's just that if the GM running for you balances around having everyone having a strong offense, it does a lot of combats, you'll definitely feel lacking in contribution at times.

The GM has never played Pathfinder either so I'm not sure how this is gonna go. Also doing path of thousands

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

Do what you can to get Electric Arc, its broken

I'd describe it as the only offensive cantrip that doesn't feel godawful rather than broken

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Andrast posted:

I'd describe it as the only offensive cantrip that doesn't feel godawful rather than broken

Honestly yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I like Ray of Frost because you can use it at ranges that require melee enemies more than one action to reach you.