Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'd say Rittenhouse went wrong when he decided to bring a gun to a protest to protect an auto zone

I mean... Rittenhouse got found not guilty, and is probably going to make a loving shitload of money as a right-wing grifter.

I guess the real question is do the lawyers in this thread think everything is peachy-keen with a system where you can haul an illegal gun to a protest after talking on film about how you want to murder a bunch of "shoplifters", then murder a few people and your only consequence is a lucrative new career? And I don't mean a breakdown of issues in this particular case, but the system as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lamo do you think lawyers thinkAmerican criminal law is good?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... Rittenhouse got found not guilty, and is probably going to make a loving shitload of money as a right-wing grifter.

I guess the real question is do the lawyers in this thread think everything is peachy-keen with a system where you can haul an illegal gun to a protest after talking on film about how you want to murder a bunch of "shoplifters", then murder a few people and your only consequence is a lucrative new career? And I don't mean a breakdown of issues in this particular case, but the system as a whole.

He killed people though. Most people think that killing others is bad. Some of us even think that it's bad in virtually every situation.

He changed or ended many lives irreparably that day. If he becomes a rich right wing grifter, the change is no less made. I feel comfortable saying he went wrong when he decided property was worth carrying a gun.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most people think killing others is good .

You have to be careful. Murder and killing aren’t the same

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

Most people think killing others is good .

Yeah, but they're not going to delve deep enough into their political beliefs to realize that fact.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

The dude is 18 years old. His future is far less certain than anyone stinking up the cheapseats and certainly anyone still posting on Something Awful. He might end up Fox News or whatever but I find it hard to be impressed by that take, considering you and others who run it to it have no intention of letting him do anything else.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It definitely feels like a lacuna that you can legally carry a firearm that was illegally straw-man purchased on your behalf.

But if we are calling out prior acts for legal responsibility then I'm surprised that more questions have not been asked of the hospital that discharged a patient from suicide watch, who then immediately travelled to the nearest riot and started threatening to murder people with guns and screaming at them to shoot him. I feel like perhaps there were some issues with the clinical decisions made there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Rittenhouse is just another beachhead in the culture war; everyone tacitly acknowledges that his actions fit the definition of self defense, so instead people get mad about all the "circumstances."

I'm 100% convinced that if you pallette-swapped the parties, exact same circumstances, the Right would be calling for his head and the left would be defending him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

Rittenhouse is just another beachhead in the culture war; everyone tacitly acknowledges that his actions fit the definition of self defense, so instead people get mad about all the "circumstances."

I'm 100% convinced that if you pallette-swapped the parties, exact same circumstances, the Right would be calling for his head and the left would be defending him.

You don’t even have to palette swap. Michael Reinoehl absolutely used self defense in a legally authorized way, and he was executed by federal officers on the president’s order.

I also don’t think Rittenhouse has a valid self defense argument. You shouldn’t get to pick a fight, lose, and then use a gun in self defense. Wisconsin even has portions of its self defense statute that agree with me.

In Florida, a valid claim of self defense under the stand your ground statute never reaches trial as it is disposed on a motion to dismiss. I don’t know if Wisconsin has something similar. For example, although a jury acquitted Zimmerman, he was not found to have used lawful self defense under Florida’s SYG statute. If he had, he would have been immune to both civil and criminal prosecution.

Rittenhouse was acquitted because he’s a white kid who had millions of dollars of legal assistance to help convince a jury he wasn’t doing exactly what he set out to do.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I also don’t think Rittenhouse has a valid self defense argument. You shouldn’t get to pick a fight, lose, and then use a gun in self defense. Wisconsin even has portions of its self defense statute that agree with me.

I'm unconvinced on what exactly happened but can we agree that if a prosecution claims a defendant brandished at someone, and then doesn't call that person to testify and doesn't present any evidence that the brandishing happened, no reasonable jury will believe that claim?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I do think people need to look less at comparing him to someone of a different race and instead comparing him to someone of a different political affiliation.

Let’s assume for argument sake that Rittenhouse did act 100% in lawful self defense. Michael Reinoehl did the same less than a week later (just hours after I was held at gunpoint at a protest, myself).

Kyle has fundraised millions (whether he gets all of that money is yet to be seen), has been coddled by half the nation, and will effectively be set for life because of what he did. He spent a small amount of time in jail, and has otherwise been a free man and minor celebrity.

Michael was executed in his driveway by a large number of federal agents less than two weeks after he killed someone in lawful self defense. He didn’t spend any time in jail, because the president ordered him killed and his personal hitmen carried out the order minutes later. Seriously, trump essentially tweeted “why is reinoehl dead yet?” and less than 20 minutes later, he was.

We are in a lot of trouble as a nation. Things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Michael Reinoehl

As with the (correct) self defense acquittal of the other guy who shot at the cops I mentioned up thread, this is a cop problem. It's not a self defense law problem.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Kyle has fundraised millions (whether he gets all of that money is yet to be seen), has been coddled by half the nation, and will effectively be set for life because of what he did. He spent a small amount of time in jail, and has otherwise been a free man and minor celebrity.

I don't understand how people convince themselves of this. Consider the world he lives in. He's not "set for life" by any normal person's understanding of what that means. His day-to-day is extraordinarily expensive and currently quite precarious--once the fifteen minutes are up there will be no one to bankroll it. He doesn't "get" to be a minor celebrity. Even if that were his sincere desire, he really doesn't have a say in the matter. The price of getting through the trial as a social pariah who lives in the crosshair of a hostile and frankly slanderous press is that he has to embrace the only allies he has, which are political groups led by some of the shadiest people on planet Earth. Unless you want to volunteer for his security detail or at least tell your comrades to stop sending death threats to the family, I'm not sure where you get off complaining about this. He isn't going to roll over and die just because you want him to.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Woozy posted:

I don't understand how people convince themselves of this. Consider the world he lives in. He's not "set for life" by any normal person's understanding of what that means. His day-to-day is extraordinarily expensive and currently quite precarious--once the fifteen minutes are up there will be no one to bankroll it. He doesn't "get" to be a minor celebrity. Even if that were his sincere desire, he really doesn't have a say in the matter. The price of getting through the trial as a social pariah who lives in the crosshair of a hostile and frankly slanderous press is that he has to embrace the only allies he has, which are political groups led by some of the shadiest people on planet Earth. Unless you want to volunteer for his security detail or at least tell your comrades to stop sending death threats to the family, I'm not sure where you get off complaining about this. He isn't going to roll over and die just because you want him to.

He's not going to send some of the millions bankrolled on his behalf to you if you suck him off hard enough, dude.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Woozy posted:

You alright, buddy?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don’t even have to palette swap. Michael Reinoehl absolutely used self defense in a legally authorized way, and he was executed by federal officers on the president’s order.

This is kind of my point: if you trim the hedges down to the shooting itself, you'd have to conclude that either they both acted in self defense, or neither of them did. (Though there's some extraneous information that makes the Reinoehl shooting less clear, he may have been following the deceased, rather than running from him)

The social argument is about how the system treated the two, and people want Rittenhouse to pay because of it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

And to make the distinction, people decide either he "picked a fight" by "being a chud" (videos, reason for being there, etc.) or by simply looking at the initial assault.

I think people just want it to be a crime that Rittenhouse was there, being a chud, with a gun.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Woozy posted:

If he wanted to he could hide away from society for a few years taking college classes or whatever and appear in another state under a different name and his life would likely be pretty normal.

He could probably raise an initial 'Help Kyle' GoFundMe and run off with the money to bankroll it. Im sure he's already doing that.

Instead he's walking towards the infamy including having a tucker Carlson 'documentary'. He's a chud. A child chud but he's embracing this path not resisting it.

blarzgh posted:

I think people just want it to be a crime that Rittenhouse was there, being a chud, with a gun.

Yes? Bringing a gun to a protest to actively go looking for trouble should absolutely be a crime. In saner countries it is a crime.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Yes? Bringing a gun to a protest to actively go looking for trouble should absolutely be a crime. In saner countries it is a crime.

Sure, I just think people are conflating wanting him to go to jail under what the law should be, rather than what the law is.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

blarzgh posted:

Sure, I just think people are conflating wanting him to go to jail under what the law should be, rather than what the law is.

Yep, or they had no idea it was actually completely legal to do what he did.

Could his mother be charged with negligence or child endangerment or something? Handing a minor a gun and driving them to a violent protest to walk around unsupervised looking for people to shoot seems like child endangerment. Coz I had no idea this is a completely okay and legal thing to do and just assumed it wasn't.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 24, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Outrail posted:

Could his mother be charged with negligence or child endangerment or something? Handing a minor a gun and driving them to a violent protest to walk around unsupervised looking for people to shoot seems like child endangerment.

His mother didn't do either of those things.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Outrail posted:

If he wanted to he could hide away from society for a few years taking college classes or whatever and appear in another state under a different name and his life would likely be pretty normal.

He could probably raise an initial 'Help Kyle' GoFundMe and run off with the money to bankroll it. Im sure he's already doing that.

Instead he's walking towards the infamy including having a tucker Carlson 'documentary'. He's a chud. A child chud but he's embracing this path not resisting it.

The people in charge of his money and security want him on Tucker. That's the whole point of the fundraising, which I'm sure you realize. Others in his orbit advised against it but either way I find it very difficult to fault this play, considering your proposed alternative is to tell an 18-year-old who's livestreamed murder trial was the site of literal rending and gnashing from activists who credibly threatened both him and the jury to "just lay low for a while, maybe change your name" like witness protection is an acceptable outcome for someone who was acquitted.

Outrail posted:

Yep, or they had no idea it was actually completely legal to do what he did.

Could his mother be charged with negligence or child endangerment or something? Handing a minor a gun and driving them to a violent protest to walk around unsupervised looking for people to shoot seems like child endangerment. Coz I had no idea this is a completely okay and legal thing to do and just assumed it wasn't.

No she can't because she didn't do any either of these things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's notable that the verifiable instances of Rittenhouse's involvement with the far-right coincide entirely with the period where Lin Wood was representing him. And if he doesn't tap that well for money then he's spending life in prison so it's an indictment of the system that those are the kinds of choices that are forced on people (and which black Americans do not have the same recourse to), but I'm not going to blame an individual for reaching for any lifebelt they can.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
e:

Nm this is n't the thread for this

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 24, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Woozy posted:

Uh no, he absolutely had the option to plead guilty to the murder he committed and not be a social pariah. So no, you're a loving moron, legally speaking.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Alchenar posted:

I think it's notable that the verifiable instances of Rittenhouse's involvement with the far-right coincide entirely with the period where Lin Wood was representing him. And if he doesn't tap that well for money then he's spending life in prison so it's an indictment of the system that those are the kinds of choices that are forced on people (and which black Americans do not have the same recourse to), but I'm not going to blame an individual for reaching for any lifebelt they can.

3-5 out in 2 for good behavior is not "for life". He's a white kid, if he'd pleaded they'd have been very very unreasonably reasonable with his sentencing and parole.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm really confused how him having that gun in Wisconsin in the first place was legal. I saw a statute cited somewhere that said minors can't have guns unless under parental supervision for instruction. This is obviously not that, and his mother didn't give him the gun because he got it in Wisconsin from someone else, right?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Woozy posted:

“A white supremacist who crossed state lines with the intent of terrorizing people and maybe-accidentally killed two people won’t have unlimited money forever” is not the hot take you think it is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

I'm really confused how him having that gun in Wisconsin in the first place was legal. I saw a statute cited somewhere that said minors can't have guns unless under parental supervision for instruction. This is obviously not that, and his mother didn't give him the gun because he got it in Wisconsin from someone else, right?

They very deliberately jumped through hoops in the law. It's illegal for him to buy the firearm under 18 and/or to cross state lines with it but not to possess the firearm in WI. So he gave his over 18 friend the money to buy it with the deal that ownership would be transferred once he hit 18. He travels into WI and his friend gives him the gun.

Friend is being prosecuted for the straw-man purchase and it's not entirely clear if he's legally bang to rights - they both treated it as Kyle's gun he had the right to take any time he wanted, but they also kept it at the friend's house so they were clearly trying to walk right up to the line of what the law allows. It might have been prosecutorial choice but it doesn't look like Kyle can have any charges from the straw-man purchase.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I suppose I'll console myself with the verdicts in the Ahmaud Arbery case. They're all going down for murder.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Alchenar posted:

They very deliberately jumped through hoops in the law. It's illegal for him to buy the firearm under 18 and/or to cross state lines with it but not to possess the firearm in WI. So he gave his over 18 friend the money to buy it with the deal that ownership would be transferred once he hit 18. He travels into WI and his friend gives him the gun.

Friend is being prosecuted for the straw-man purchase and it's not entirely clear if he's legally bang to rights - they both treated it as Kyle's gun he had the right to take any time he wanted, but they also kept it at the friend's house so they were clearly trying to walk right up to the line of what the law allows. It might have been prosecutorial choice but it doesn't look like Kyle can have any charges from the straw-man purchase.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/51/3/c

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/60

But wasn't Rittenhouse committing at least a misdemeanor by having the gun? Like what possible argument could there be that the friend didn't commit the class I or H felony?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/51/3/c

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/60

But wasn't Rittenhouse committing at least a misdemeanor by having the gun? Like what possible argument could there be that the friend didn't commit the class I or H felony?

Read the whole statute. Carefully.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

“A white supremacist who crossed state lines with the intent of terrorizing people and maybe-accidentally killed two people won’t have unlimited money forever” is not the hot take you think it is.

I'm curious why you think this detail is relevant, since it's not. Everyone who has some kind of take about this case talks about it in the same way. Are you suggesting there should be federal charges of some kind? Someone explain the "state line" blubbering to me. I realize beggars can't be choosers but ideally this person would be someone who ordinarily gives a poo poo about imaginary boundaries.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hi. You idiots.

Who gives a poo poo someone ask a stupid legal question.

"Uhh hey I'm a 40 year old goon and my parents are trying to evict me don't i have rights?"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Woozy posted:

Read the whole statute. Carefully.

Did you hear a zipper rattle somewhere? Why the gently caress are you talking to me?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So a ship on a time charter loaded 12 containers of sex arses, but on arrival at destination there were only 11 containers.

The carriage was under a CONGENBILL 94, signed “as agent for the master”, who is liable to the rightful bill of lading holders for the missing container?

Asking for a friend.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Woozy posted:

I'm curious why you think this detail is relevant, since it's not. Everyone who has some kind of take about this case talks about it in the same way. Are you suggesting there should be federal charges of some kind? Someone explain the "state line" blubbering to me. I realize beggars can't be choosers but ideally this person would be someone who ordinarily gives a poo poo about imaginary boundaries.

I suppose the numerous posts talking about how he danced around firearms charges in different states were illegible.

It’s telling that, for you, the white supremacy and killing are secondary to “but why would anyone dare to point out he didn’t even live near the T.J. Maxx that he felt he needed to defend with (technically) someone else’s high-powered rifle.”

FrozenVent posted:

Asking for a friend.

Does the answer depend on whether the sex arses have gold fringe?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

pseudanonymous posted:

Uh no, he absolutely had the option to plead guilty to the murder he committed and not be a social pariah. So no, you're a loving moron, legally speaking.

Lol yeah convicted murderers are definitely not shunned by society

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

FrozenVent posted:

So a ship on a time charter loaded 12 containers of sex arses, but on arrival at destination there were only 11 containers.

The carriage was under a CONGENBILL 94, signed “as agent for the master”, who is liable to the rightful bill of lading holders for the missing container?

Asking for a friend.

Rum sodomy and the lash

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

I suppose the numerous posts talking about how he danced around firearms charges in different states were illegible.

It’s telling that, for you, the white supremacy and killing are secondary to “but why would anyone dare to point out he didn’t even live near the T.J. Maxx that he felt he needed to defend with (technically) someone else’s high-powered rifle.”

Okay. Do you have some reason to think the weapon crossed state lines? Tell me where you're going with this, counselor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What can you, legally, do with a drunken sailor?

edit: and can it only be done e'rly in the morning?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 24, 2021