Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Did you hear a zipper rattle somewhere? Why the gently caress are you talking to me?

I'm sorry, I thought this was America a forum. I'll leave you and your son be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Woozy posted:

Okay. Do you have some reason to think the weapon crossed state lines? Tell me where you're going with this, counselor.

Wait, you’ve been defending the gun itself this entire time, not the terrorist?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

Wait, you’ve been defending the gun itself this entire time, not the terrorist?

I'm beginning to think you don't want to answer my question.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Woozy posted:

Okay. Do you have some reason to think the weapon crossed state lines? Tell me where you're going with this, counselor.

Here's your legal advice: shut the gently caress up

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Here's your legal advice: shut the gently caress up

I have no money to retain you as my attorney, so I will have to pay in, ironically, hot dogs.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BonerGhost posted:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/51/3/c

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/948/60

But wasn't Rittenhouse committing at least a misdemeanor by having the gun? Like what possible argument could there be that the friend didn't commit the class I or H felony?

Quickly perusing that statute, I'd guess this section was the fatal flaw

quote:

(c) This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593.

When there are exceptions baked into statutes like that, the burden is upon the prosecution to disprove the exception. That 941.28 looks like it had to do with length of the gun, and I'm phone posting so you can read it yourself. My guess is they thought they got the elements of the crime, but then they forgot about the exception.

Did anyone know if the prosecution lost this in motion for directed verdict? Or was it pretrial? If it was directed verdict, then the prosecution literally forgot about the exception and did not put on any evidence to meet their burden in disproving it. In that circumstance, Rittenhouse is entitled to a "directed verdict" which means the judge dismisses that count at the end of the prosecution's presentation of evidence because there is not enough evidence to even let the count go to the jury.

That's rare, but happens. I lost one of those motions on a property destruction count because nobody testified the widget was valued at over $750, even though everyone agreed he broke it. Oops.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I can't recall atm but I think the judge dismissed the gun charge because of the length exception before sending the jury off to deliberate. I don't think there was a directed verdict motion but honestly I lost the trail after the prosecution decided to do post arrest silence commentary.

Case was a shitshow. Anyways, bring on the legal questions so we can tell you to go talk to an attorney.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BigHead posted:

Quickly perusing that statute, I'd guess this section was the fatal flaw

When there are exceptions baked into statutes like that, the burden is upon the prosecution to disprove the exception. That 941.28 looks like it had to do with length of the gun, and I'm phone posting so you can read it yourself. My guess is they thought they got the elements of the crime, but then they forgot about the exception.

Did anyone know if the prosecution lost this in motion for directed verdict? Or was it pretrial? If it was directed verdict, then the prosecution literally forgot about the exception and did not put on any evidence to meet their burden in disproving it. In that circumstance, Rittenhouse is entitled to a "directed verdict" which means the judge dismisses that count at the end of the prosecution's presentation of evidence because there is not enough evidence to even let the count go to the jury.

That's rare, but happens. I lost one of those motions on a property destruction count because nobody testified the widget was valued at over $750, even though everyone agreed he broke it. Oops.

The got all the way to the final discussion on jury instructions (iirc literally minutes before the jury came in to hear closing) and the Judge basically asked the prosecution "can you actually allege that the defendant has breached the basic elements of the statute? No? Okay then that charge is gone."

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Travelling to an entirely different forum to argue about the Rittenhouse case and now they're claiming it's justified?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol yeah convicted murderers are definitely not shunned by society

The only one I personally know isn’t completely shunned but on the other hand they can’t practice law despite a Tulane degree.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Alchenar posted:

The got all the way to the final discussion on jury instructions (iirc literally minutes before the jury came in to hear closing) and the Judge basically asked the prosecution "can you actually allege that the defendant has breached the basic elements of the statute? No? Okay then that charge is gone."

Is this normal? Like the judge knows there's going to be a problem but doesn't say anything until the last minute (possibly obstinately to get that charge thrown out). I'm guessing the answer is 'It's not the judge's job to remind the prosecution to do their job'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Outrail posted:

Is this normal? Like the judge knows there's going to be a problem but doesn't say anything until the last minute (possibly obstinately to get that charge thrown out). I'm guessing the answer is 'It's not the judge's job to remind the prosecution to do their job'.

It's not unusual at all for charges to get thrown out but usually that happens midway through the trial where the defence points out 'hey you haven't actually provided any evidence that I committed the crime I was charged with'.

Pretty unusual to get right the way to the close of the defence case.

e: I think both the Rittenhouse and Arbury trials demonstrate just how much 'video cellphone culture' has changed how criminal justice works. Ten years ago that footage probably doesn't exist and Rittenhouse goes to prison while the Arbery murders walk free.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 24, 2021

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
**Arbery

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Watching this:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1463592418578731009

Why were there so many counts of felony murder? Wasn't it just one man who got killed?

Why were there so many different charges?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Why were there so many counts of felony murder? Wasn't it just one man who got killed?

Why were there so many different charges?

Because there were multiple felonies (several assaults, unlawful imprisonment) and any one of them can then lead to felony murder, but the jury could have gone guilty/innocent on any combination of those felonies. So for example William Bryan was found innocent of being a part of the first assault charge, so was also innocent of the first felony murder charge, but was guilty of the other three felonies and associated felony murder charges.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alchenar posted:

It's not unusual at all for charges to get thrown out but usually that happens midway through the trial where the defence points out 'hey you haven't actually provided any evidence that I committed the crime I was charged with'.

Pretty unusual to get right the way to the close of the defence case.

e: I think both the Rittenhouse and Arbury trials demonstrate just how much 'video cellphone culture' has changed how criminal justice works. Ten years ago that footage probably doesn't exist and Rittenhouse goes to prison while the Arbery murders walk free.

Without video, do you think Rittenhouse would even have been looked for, let alone charged? Without video evidence George Floyd would have been a mention in the police blotter as an accidental overdose like the initial report said. Instead, chauvin was finally brought to trial after four days when Minneapolis burned and people in power agreed that this might be a Bad Look and every step of the way people still expected him to get off with a slap on the wrist.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Got a fun, low stakes one for you guys.

I just received a 1k bill that is 120 days past due from an ophthalmologist I saw back in May, so it’s on its way to collections.

There are a couple problems with this bill. The first is that this is the only notice I’ve received of this debt. Their patient portal doesn’t have any of the 30/60/90 day notices. No electronic reminders either. No digital paper trail of an invoice being created prior to 11/17.

The second is that they didn’t bill my insurance company at all. They knew I had insurance because they collected my co-pay at each visit. The insurance company information is listed in their portal.

I was the auditor (not a lawyer) at a debt collection law firm at a previous job so I am very aware that once it hits a 3rd party collector my only real option is to settle.

However, what are the chances I can negotiate the practice into a settlement for the 3rd party settlement amount? Do I have a leg to stand on if I wanted to go to small claims court if necessary? Are monetary damages reasonable for the credit score hit that results from having an account sent to collections?

Edit: Chicago, IL as far as jurisdictions.

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 25, 2021

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Okay, a little break with a stupid hypothetical.

Say there is a stray cat that has been roaming a neighborhood for years. Many of the people in the neighborhood are friendly with the cat and feed it so it has many "homes". Nobody ever calls animal control because everybody likes the cat and it isn't causing any problems. One day, somebody from the neighborhood decides to take in that stray and unofficially adopt it as their own cat. Another neighbor gets upset at this and wants to adopt it as their own cat. I don't know why. Maybe the neighbors hate each other. If things got bitter and they went to court, how do you legally determine the rightful ownership of a stray animal?

is it dependent on the case law of Finders vs. Keepers?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

Say there is a stray cat that has been roaming a neighborhood for years. Many of the people in the neighborhood are friendly with the cat and feed it so it has many "homes". Nobody ever calls animal control because everybody likes the cat and it isn't causing any problems. One day, somebody from the neighborhood decides to take in that stray and unofficially adopt it as their own cat. Another neighbor gets upset at this and wants to adopt it as their own cat. I don't know why. Maybe the neighbors hate each other. If things got bitter and they went to court, how do you legally determine the rightful ownership of a stray animal?

Depends on whether they want to Split the Baby on it

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

secular woods sex posted:

Got a fun, low stakes one for you guys.

I just received a 1k bill that is 120 days past due from an ophthalmologist I saw back in May, so it’s on its way to collections.

There are a couple problems with this bill. The first is that this is the only notice I’ve received of this debt. Their patient portal doesn’t have any of the 30/60/90 day notices. No electronic reminders either. No digital paper trail of an invoice being created prior to 11/17.

The second is that they didn’t bill my insurance company at all. They knew I had insurance because they collected my co-pay at each visit. The insurance company information is listed in their portal.

I was the auditor (not a lawyer) at a debt collection law firm at a previous job so I am very aware that once it hits a 3rd party collector my only real option is to settle.

However, what are the chances I can negotiate the practice into a settlement for the 3rd party settlement amount? Do I have a leg to stand on if I wanted to go to small claims court if necessary? Are monetary damages reasonable for the credit score hit that results from having an account sent to collections?

Edit: Chicago, IL as far as jurisdictions.

You should pay the doctor.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You should pay the doctor.

After that, you should bill your insurance company. It's not like the claim has to come from the doctor.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Literally the first case we read in my Property class.

A Real Old Case posted:

Puffendorf, lib. 4. c. 6. s. 2. and 10. defines occupancy of beasts ferć naturć, to be the actual corporal possession of them, and Bynkershoek is cited as coinciding in this definition.

So also, encompassing and securing such animals with nets and toils, or otherwise intercepting them in such a manner as to deprive them of their natural liberty, and render escape impossible, may justly be deemed to give possession of them to those persons who, by their industry and labour, have used such means of apprehending them."

Pierson v. Post, 3 Cai. R. 175 (Queens County N.Y., 1805)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kalman posted:

Literally the first case we read in my Property class.

Pierson v. Post, 3 Cai. R. 175 (Queens County N.Y., 1805)

As a non lawyer, I interpret that is "possession is 10/10th of the law". Am I interpreting that correctly?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's only true for wild animals tho.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sullat posted:

It's only true for wild animals tho.

Wild *and* fugacious.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SkunkDuster posted:

For competing claims to private property, first in time is best in right (unless other grounds for preeminence of claim exists and are forwarded within the time limit).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Section 370 of the Western Australian Criminal Code covers the question of whether wild animals can be stolen, and is incidentally one of my favourite pieces of poetry.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Section 370 of the Western Australian Criminal Code covers the question of whether wild animals can be stolen, and is incidentally one of my favourite pieces of poetry.

But can wild hearts be broken?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Organza Quiz posted:

quote:

370. Things capable of being stolen

Every inanimate thing whatever which is the property of any person, and which is movable, is capable of being stolen.

Every inanimate thing which is the property of any person, and which is capable of being made movable, is capable of being stolen as soon as it becomes movable, although it is made movable in order to steal it.

Every tame animal, whether tame by nature or wild by nature and tamed, which is the property of any person, is capable of being stolen; but tame pigeons are not capable of being stolen except while they are in a pigeon-house or on their owner’s land.

Animals wild by nature, of a kind which is not ordinarily found in a condition of natural liberty in Western Australia, which are the property of any person, and which are usually kept in a state of confinement, are capable of being stolen, whether they are actually in confinement or have escaped from confinement.

Animals wild by nature, of a kind which is ordinarily found in a condition of natural liberty in Western Australia which are the property of any person, are capable of being stolen while they are in confinement and while they are being actually pursued after escaping from confinement, but not at any other time.

An animal wild by nature is deemed to be in a state of confinement so long as it is in a den, cage, sty, tank, or other small enclosure, or is otherwise so placed that it cannot escape and that its owner can take possession of it at pleasure.

Animals, which are the property of any person, are capable of being stolen while they are being reared by aquaculture in a place that is the property of, or under the control of, any person.

The term animal includes any living creature and any living aquatic organism other than mankind.

Wild animals in the enjoyment of their natural liberty are not capable of being stolen, but their dead bodies are capable of being stolen.

Everything produced by or forming part of the body of an animal capable of being stolen is capable of being stolen.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Now THAT'S what I call Statutes volume 39.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So if I'm a kangaroo rancher, and my roos escape and run free, anyone finding and capturing one of my hoppy lads hasn't stolen it, even if i branded the roo and attached an ear tag with my roo ranch registration?

e. also this statute covers sea life including aquatic plants, algae, bacteria, etc., but only land animals, and that's weird

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 28, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe you could argue if it was born in captivity it's not 'wild by nature' and therefore property even of it's no longer in confinement?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

So if I'm a kangaroo rancher, and my roos escape and run free, anyone finding and capturing one of my hoppy lads hasn't stolen it, even if i branded the roo and attached an ear tag with my roo ranch registration?

e. also this statute covers sea life including aquatic plants, algae, bacteria, etc., but only land animals, and that's weird

I mean, I think that you’d claim you were still pursuing their recapture?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You're going to end up pouch deep in 'Roo Law, be careful.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

The Texas Civil theft (conversion) statute reads, "exercises dominion and control over the property, to the exclusion of the owner"

And, "fails to return the property upon demand by the owner"

In other words, unless And until you show the roo thief that it's your roo, and you want it back, they haven't converted/stolen it yet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

im askin about stralyan law tho

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

im askin about stralyan law tho

Upon returning a roo or roos, the returnee is entitled to a tinny per roo or a slab if more than 30 roos, payable on delivery or receipt of roos, or by end of the following week. Alternatively, the returnee may offer a pissup at the nearest pub.

Any person losing a roo or roos more than once from the same property will be known as a fuckwit tool for a period of 5 years.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 28, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ah of course, that's why they have "roo bars", that's where the compensatory beers must be obtained

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I love the specific exception for tame pigeons outside of their owner's property because you can tell that one definitely exists as a result of something that happened and people fought over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

ah of course, that's why they have "roo bars", that's where the compensatory beers must be obtained

why are you posting this dogshit