Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/cindywhoosh/status/1456895961469382659

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

So listening to this, the host bravely challenges the Assad curse.

The guest is actually arguing against doing anything in Ukraine.

Edit: Yeah listening to the whole thing, it's just some jingoistic fantasy. The host is all in rah rah USA poo poo.

I thought the guest sounded pretty reasonable over all. For a lib anyways

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

lol didn't Mark Ames say he has a soft spot for Noah Smith on one of the recent RWN eps that Zha guested on? Smith is such a creeper

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Whats the original post from, Gab?

I think it's fabricated

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Red and Black posted:

I thought the guest sounded pretty reasonable over all. For a lib anyways

They weren't wrong, just completely ghoulish. Their argument amounted to gotta fight for Taiwan because it's valuable and Ukraine isn't.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Children at play or insidious Communist plot to exploit child labor for energy production?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

They weren't wrong, just completely ghoulish. Their argument amounted to gotta fight for Taiwan because it's valuable and Ukraine isn't.

I got the impression he was talking about the perspective of the United States, rather than his own. But I don't see why the same argument he made for Ukraine can't be applied to Taiwan. Is America really going to commit troops to fighting a nuclear superpower in order to prevent them from "breaking the first island chain"? I don't think Taiwan is so much more valuable to the US government as he thinks it is

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Thats the big problem with war under MAD: if you invade some folks under the presumption that your invasion isn't big enough to trigger a major escalation you might be wrong. In the long term the only winning move is not to invade

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flavahbeast posted:

Thats the big problem with war under MAD: if you invade some folks under the presumption that your invasion isn't big enough to trigger a major escalation you might be wrong. In the long term the only winning move is not to invade

the second prize is for convincing yourself that any escalation would be containable by the threat of further escalation. the prize box contains radiation poisoning

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ok China totally wants the uyghurs to die

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh so limited nuclear is almost as bad as they expect things to possibly get?

Well good to know that the military is getting ready for it to happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1463431469259493376

Comrade rock single-handedly taking out an entire class of subs o7

Lmao they made a huge deal out of the Seawolf in 90s sub sims and then they only built three of them? Haha

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lmao they made a huge deal out of the Seawolf in 90s sub sims and then they only built three of them? Haha

lol it makes sense to me when i look at the cost of the f35 program

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Granted, the Virginia class is basically suppose to be a budget Seawolf.

That said, the tweet is ambiguous and unsourced.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

A lot of ridiculous things in this picture but the most ridiculous is blue action always being preceded by red action instead of just three or four blue actions in a row at the beginning.

e: I remember even the millenium challenge had the blue team rolling up to the persian gulf and issuing an ultimatum for weak reasons, nobody believes this poo poo anywhere.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Granted, the Virginia class is basically suppose to be a budget Seawolf.

That said, the tweet is ambiguous and unsourced.

Well this is from a week ago

https://news.usni.org/2021/11/17/co...n-investigation

quote:

Vice Adm. William Houston, commander of Naval Submarine Forces, said he and the head of submarine forces in the Pacific signed a message today calling for the stand down after Seawolf-class attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN-22) hit an unidentified seamount below the surface in the South China Sea.

A spokesperson for Naval Submarine Forces told USNI News the Navy will perform “navigational safety training” across its undersea forces due to the collision.

Earlier this month, U.S. 7th Fleet commander Vice Adm. Karl Thomas relieved Connecticut’s commanding officer, executive officer and chief of the boat “due to loss of confidence” following the collision.

The boat is currently in Guam for repairs and will eventually head to Bremerton, Wash., for more repairs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1463431469259493376

Comrade rock single-handedly taking out an entire class of subs o7

They shitcanned 3 people on board of the ssub for this but loling if they found genuine faults with the designed that triggered this and had to shitcan everything.

At the same time AIP diesel electric subs are becoming quieter and are by design more efficient than nuclear subs for coastal defense with nuclear only being useful if you want to travel faster for longer (something that isnt quite needed if defense is your only objective). We convinced Australia to buy our subs lol

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They shitcanned 3 people on board of the ssub for this but loling if they found genuine faults with the designed that triggered this and had to shitcan everything.

At the same time AIP diesel electric subs are becoming quieter and are by design more efficient than nuclear subs for coastal defense with nuclear only being useful if you want to travel faster for longer (something that isnt quite needed if defense is your only objective). We convinced Australia to buy our subs lol

it's highly likely another symptom of the navy stretching it's personal way, way to thin more than anything imo

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lady Militant posted:

it's highly likely another symptom of the navy stretching it's personal way, way to thin more than anything imo

Yeah, reading up on it the seawolf was shitcanned a long time ago. The virginia was supposed to be the "Low" to the seawolfs "High" the same way the F22 was supposed to be the high to the F35s low. Now the virginia is as expensive to produce as the seawolf.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cao Ni Ma posted:

they did lol remember the lady who was faking steel tests since the 80s

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, there is a stand down but I haven’t seen anything about decommissioning.

It is very possible they just smacked into a rock due to old/bad charts and the fact their active sonar was off (active sonar immediately gives away a position.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Nov 24, 2021

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I love how things escalate at the beginning based on nothing and then our adversaries are always the ones whose actions start the chain of events.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, reading up on it the seawolf was shitcanned a long time ago. The virginia was supposed to be the "Low" to the seawolfs "High" the same way the F22 was supposed to be the high to the F35s low. Now the virginia is as expensive to produce as the seawolf.

if you ever want a crack ping look into the story of the lead of the arsenal ship program which was intended to replace a lot of our current ships, he "killed himself" over charges of getting medals he didn't deserve....which later turned out to be totally bogus.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The current Chinese torpedo is a reverse engineered version of a US Mk. 48 torpedo that a Chinese fishing boat randomly found in its net while fishing in the SCS. Because apparently American submarines just randomly shoot off live torpedos in the middle of the ocean all the time like an underwater Yosemite Sam.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
look you run out of warehouse space ok.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's a real shame too. Climate Change would have ended civilization before any of us would even be around to deal with it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Where do you think the sea wolfs are going?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Where do you think the sea wolfs are going?

Oh no, I know where they are going. Its just that Australia has always sold their needs for subs to protect their territorial waters/shipping lanes (against their number 1 trading partner). The AIP d/a subs would have been cheaper and better for these needs, but we need them to go to China for OUR needs.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Related to weirdo Noah

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1463502278585839619

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the Islamic world wasn't doing poo poo like preserving almost every single great ancient greek treatise, innovating mathematics, medicine, astronomy, navigation, bringing far eastern knowledge as far as cordoba etc right nobeliefs.com

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the Islamic world wasn't doing poo poo like preserving almost every single great ancient greek treatise, innovating mathematics, medicine, astronomy, navigation, bringing far eastern knowledge as far as cordoba etc right nobeliefs.com

yeah it’s religious idealism, the chart

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

In all honesty, the “Dark ages” was a purely a regional issue affecting England/France/Northern Italy and the Low counties. Everywhere else (with a couple exceptions) was neither never apart of the Roman Empire, or under Byzantine/Islamic control (and became independent later). Even then “barbarian” cultures like the Vandals or Ostrogoths often attempted to build on Roman advances and attempted to stabilize the areas under their control.

It is about an inflated sense of self value…particularly of the cursed isle.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Nov 24, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The wealthiest part of the world was always somewhere in Asia until the Europeans started plundering the Americas. Nowadays white people assume they've always been the most advanced culture at any time in history.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Some Guy TT posted:

cant douche the juche

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

[Eurasia] It's the Finno-Korean Hyperwar!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PhilippAchtel posted:

Children at play or insidious Communist plot to exploit child labor for energy production?

Stop turning Biden and the Vatican on dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1463674355909599232?s=20

I also don't know much of anything about Belarus but I appreciate the catharsis