Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I’ve noticed some playback issues disappear if I turn off Dolby vision on my X800M player.

I’m reallllly trying to hold out for the VinSyn sale but I dunno if I can do it. The temptation of $10 uhd’s is strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yoohoo posted:

I’ve noticed some playback issues disappear if I turn off Dolby vision on my X800M player.

I’m reallllly trying to hold out for the VinSyn sale but I dunno if I can do it. The temptation of $10 uhd’s is strong.

You only need one kidney

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Man, the second hand market for OOP releases is so much more nuts than I would have ever imagined.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Roth posted:

Man, the second hand market for OOP releases is so much more nuts than I would have ever imagined.
The region free player was cheaper than buying a few OOP in the US releases I wanted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

You only need one kidney

You don’t even have to worry about that if you just steal someone else’s! Work smarter, not harder! :eng101:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Roth posted:

It’s probably gotten worse recently due to everything w speculation etc.

Aside from grabbing 3D releases, one of my OOP purchases was Take Shelter a couple years back. $30 or so but drat, worth it.

Despite getting the LE for their ROBOCOP release, I really hope Arrow gets to do a UHD for it in the next couple years. I love that movie so much.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really regret not buying Take Shelter years ago when I saw it for $5 at Wal-Mart.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is there a list of OOPs anywheres

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is there a list of OOPs anywheres

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=257543

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=335633

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Thank you

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's very handy. Thanks Dorium

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Not sure if anybody mentioned this yet, didn't see it if so, but that new Mad Max 2 the road warrior 4K is getting recalled by Warner due to some major audio issues. So you might want to hold off on that if you're planning on getting it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Bizness posted:

Not sure if anybody mentioned this yet, didn't see it if so, but that new Mad Max 2 the road warrior 4K is getting recalled by Warner due to some major audio issues. So you might want to hold off on that if you're planning on getting it.

The issue seems to be that they claimed to have included the original audio track, but they actually didn't so the only track on the disc is like a remastered version that fans of the movie are saying makes stupid unnecessary changes to it.

It didn't make much difference to me, I'd only seen the movie a few times over the years so I didn't notice anything weird with the audio track. Seemed fine to me.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7615-how-to-get-your-citizen-kane-blu-ray-disc-1-replaced

Good on Criterion

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One day I'll get the dodgy disc in my Three Colors Trilogy replaced.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Assuming the dune uhd is a good release I'll probably pick it up, but that voice in the back is telling me to wait (three or four probably) years for the complete set.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Now let's see if they offer something like this as a replacement case for the Godzilla collection

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Assuming the dune uhd is a good release I'll probably pick it up, but that voice in the back is telling me to wait (three or four probably) years for the complete set.

The movie is too drat good looking, there's no way I'm gonna be able to wait that long to see the UHD so I won't even bother to try. I've held off on rewatching it just because I want to wait for that UHD.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm definitely going to pick up the BB steelbook on release. I'll want to watch it a few more times before part two and the extras look interesting.

I also saw somebody on the blu-ray.com forums also mention that at least the steelbook format may not be around for the next release

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The only problem w Steelbooks is that they produce them for some dumbass movies. Like what person wants the Hitman’s Bodyguard in UHD and a collector’s case for extra money. But I can’t see them stopping because it makes idiots like me Day 1 releases cause I want that sweet rear end art.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

The only problem w Steelbooks is that they produce them for some dumbass movies. Like what person wants the Hitman’s Bodyguard in UHD and a collector’s case for extra money. But I can’t see them stopping because it makes idiots like me Day 1 releases cause I want that sweet rear end art.

DID YOU KNOW: 100% of all steelbooks are cool and good. Makes you think. :thunk:

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Am I the only person that throws slipcases right into the trash with the cellophane? I only keep them if they have a gimmick like the American Psycho steelbook.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dragonshirt posted:

Am I the only person that throws slipcases right into the trash with the cellophane? I only keep them if they have a gimmick like the American Psycho steelbook.

I’m the same. If they do something neat like are translucent and the art lines up with the art on the regular cover, I’ll keep them, otherwise they go right in the trash. I’m a huge sucker for lenticular covers but even with those I’ll remove them from the slipcover and glue them onto the regular case.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

please let me know if you will be getting rid of slip covers. I may need it, i will pay shipping.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
If I could go back in time and stash all the slip covers i've tossed in the years... it was way too late in the game for me to discover that they were worth anything.

At least, fwiw, when i buy a disc at Best Buy or w/e these days and they come with slip covers, i hunt for the most busted up one since i'm just gonna toss it anyway.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dragonshirt posted:

Nope. An extra step standing between me and Crank: High Voltage? No thank you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like slipcovers because I don't have to worry about my shelves being packed too tight, when that happens without slipcovers the plastic on the cases starts to bubble and warp and it looks like poo poo. The slipcover protects the case and prevents that from happening.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Shaw Bros set delayed to 12/28

Bummer :(

aperfectcirclefan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 24, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The bigger question is, do you keep the piece of card stock on the back of a steelbook, the one with all the screenshots and stuff?

Okay that's not a big question because the answer is of course not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I sell them for big money to weird internet obsessives.

Not really but I probably could.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

The bigger question is, do you keep the piece of card stock on the back of a steelbook, the one with all the screenshots and stuff?

I do keep them for reference if the disc doesnt have a dolby vision/hdr tag on it. I forget which ones are which.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

The only people who save that are probably the ones who don't even watch the movies they just collect them and never take them out of the packaging.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m the guy meticulously peeling off the stickers from the cellophane and applying them to the inner sleeve or booklet for preservation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The “autobiographical sorting” scene from High Fidelity isn’t far off from my own experience with media.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

The “autobiographical sorting” scene from High Fidelity isn’t far off from my own experience with media.

I stopped doing that when I hit around 100, and switched to alphabetical

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

dorium posted:

I do keep them for reference if the disc doesnt have a dolby vision/hdr tag on it. I forget which ones are which.

I just use Blu-ray.com for that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dragonshirt posted:

You shouldn't throw those out because morons will pay money for them. Some of them they will pay a lot of money for.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I had no idea they were worth anything, I should off load mine

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I had no idea they were worth anything, I should off load mine

It depends on what they are but some completionists will even pay a few bucks for the ones from common releases that have identical to the case art on them. But limited edition covers from VS and other boutique labels are a loving goldmine. I think Shout Factory ones are decently sought after too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
The booklet that comes with the Uncut Gems 4k I'd really really clever and cool.