Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kivan or Coran, who’s the best killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

It’s likely because I grew up playing it in the late 80s and into the 90s, but I always enjoyed 2nd Edition. I still do. I can see how goofy and unintuitive it must be from the outside, but I started playing when I was 9 years old and it made sense to me, because it’s all I knew.

So I’ve always enjoyed the rule systems in the Baldur’s Gate games. My first exposure to 3rd edition was when Neverwinter Nights came out.

Same, 2nd ed is really my comfort zone. And on tabletop, it was the "don't think" game of choice in my circles, when you didn't feel like thinking too much in terms of story/rules and just felt like fooling around, and rolling a d20 against an AC to kill monsters. There were a ton of better games out there, 2nd Ed AD&D was just the granddaddy with its familiar classes and its ton of premade settings/campaigns, with plenty of easily available ones monthly from rpg magazines.

I was never enthusiastic about 3rd Ed, but NWN got me to warm up to it over time, since you basically only have to worry about a single character, and it allows for silly builds, so it's not a bad fit. Pathfinder however is exhausting. I almost dread gaining a level in Kingmaker since it means going through the whole process for every character in the party.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
HD models for NWN have been released.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's some issues with the HD pack atm where some armor pieces are using the wrong material/color channels, or just outright using the wrong model. It's also pretty much unusable with existing custom content armor or character heads, due to the differences in how the pieces are intended to fit together.

Some people might bounce off hard from the aesthetics too. IMO it makes everyone look a bit too ripped.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

FishMcCool posted:

Same, 2nd ed is really my comfort zone. And on tabletop, it was the "don't think" game of choice in my circles, when you didn't feel like thinking too much in terms of story/rules and just felt like fooling around, and rolling a d20 against an AC to kill monsters. There were a ton of better games out there, 2nd Ed AD&D was just the granddaddy with its familiar classes and its ton of premade settings/campaigns, with plenty of easily available ones monthly from rpg magazines.

I still think of 2nd Edition as the one true set of rules on which everything else is an interesting and curious variant.

Original D&D had elf, dwarf, halfling etc. as their own classes (and arbitrary level caps that made non-humans bad), no good/evil alignment axis, AC based on 9 instead of 10. That was weird! It also had some CRPG games that ruled and, for some reason, two amazing arcade beat em ups in Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara.

1st Edition streamlined a lot of that weirdness and has all the Gold Box games to its credit.

2nd Edition is the one I grew up with and has nearly all the Infinity Engine games to solidify its status as the default rule set.

3rd Edition and 3.5 made some sensible fixes to the jankier parts of 2nd but then went way off into the wilderness; the big offender being a system intended to give you more choices in character building but which instead created a minefield. I guess if you like theorycrafting more than playing, or if you’re only playing short term and don’t need to think too hard about your character, these are the rules for you.

4th Edition was far too weird and I did not like it at all, being someone who never focused on miniatures. I also didn’t like the vastly reduced set of things that spellcasters could do. Wizards and clerics having a functionally infinite set of bananas abilities is so ingrained in me I can’t imagine it being otherwise. I think this is also the only edition without a CRPG, making it a historical curiosity and remembered only by the people who played it tabletop.

I’m only just starting to learn 5th Edition but it seems fine, I guess?

One of the big reasons I keep going back to the Infinity Engine games after all these years is the comfort food of those 2nd Edition rules. It’s also why I love Icewind Dale, really the only game that lets you sandbox the mechanics without resorting to semi-hacks like playing “multiplayer” Baldur’s Gate with all the characters of your own creation.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Draile posted:

I still think of 2nd Edition as the one true set of rules on which everything else is an interesting and curious variant.

Original D&D had elf, dwarf, halfling etc. as their own classes (and arbitrary level caps that made non-humans bad), no good/evil alignment axis, AC based on 9 instead of 10. That was weird! It also had some CRPG games that ruled and, for some reason, two amazing arcade beat em ups in Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara.

1st Edition streamlined a lot of that weirdness and has all the Gold Box games to its credit.

2nd Edition is the one I grew up with and has nearly all the Infinity Engine games to solidify its status as the default rule set.

3rd Edition and 3.5 made some sensible fixes to the jankier parts of 2nd but then went way off into the wilderness; the big offender being a system intended to give you more choices in character building but which instead created a minefield. I guess if you like theorycrafting more than playing, or if you’re only playing short term and don’t need to think too hard about your character, these are the rules for you.

4th Edition was far too weird and I did not like it at all, being someone who never focused on miniatures. I also didn’t like the vastly reduced set of things that spellcasters could do. Wizards and clerics having a functionally infinite set of bananas abilities is so ingrained in me I can’t imagine it being otherwise. I think this is also the only edition without a CRPG, making it a historical curiosity and remembered only by the people who played it tabletop.

I’m only just starting to learn 5th Edition but it seems fine, I guess?

One of the big reasons I keep going back to the Infinity Engine games after all these years is the comfort food of those 2nd Edition rules. It’s also why I love Icewind Dale, really the only game that lets you sandbox the mechanics without resorting to semi-hacks like playing “multiplayer” Baldur’s Gate with all the characters of your own creation.

Technically speaking, Neverwinter (the MMO, not NWN) is 4e. But that's mostly in spirit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I still cannot fully internalize thac0

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is an acronym for "to hit armor class 0" and represents the d20 roll one would need to hit a target whose armor class is 0.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

it is way simpler than it seems, the explanations all suck

Your THAC0 is a number, when you roll this number on a d20+attack roll modifiers you hit an enemy with Armor Class 0

If you need to hit another armor class, do integer subtraction of that armour class from your THAC0, and you hit that Armour Class if your d20+attack roll modifiers is equal to or greater than the adjusted THAC0 number.

it looks more complicated because there's a chart showing how your THAC0 number gets better (lower) as you level up in each class and also because there's some precomputed tables of what you need to roll to hit a given AC with different THAC0 numbers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes I’ll try to figure out how much AC an opponent has. Turning on the “hit rolls” display in-game doesn’t help: it’ll say “14 + 2 = 16 (Miss)” and I’m just left wondering, where the hell did that +2 come from? And then maybe eventually I’ll finally see a roll “18 + 1 = 19 (Hit)”... Maybe that means the target has AC 1?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes I’ll try to figure out how much AC an opponent has. Turning on the “hit rolls” display in-game doesn’t help: it’ll say “14 + 2 = 16 (Miss)” and I’m just left wondering, where the hell did that +2 come from? And then maybe eventually I’ll finally see a roll “18 + 1 = 19 (Hit)”... Maybe that means the target has AC 1?

The bonuses are stuff the attacker has applying to them - ability score bonuses, magic items, spell effects are the usual 3. As far as I can think of, IE games don't usually expose the enemy AC by default and I've never worried about it. Spell protections/weapon immunities are the big ones, otherwise I just try to make my party as generally strong as I can.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Arivia posted:

the bonuses are stuff the attacker has applying to them - ability score bonuses, magic items, spell effects are the usual 3.

Also the bonus/malus for that weapon type against that armour type (or does that affect the AC instead? I forget which side of the equation it applies to)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does the +2 or whatever include my character’s base thac0, or is it just the sum of modifiers you mentioned?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
THAC0 is BAB but backwards because it came from wargaming algebra where you need to calculate where near missed went instead. It's a measure of your divergence causing inaccuracy instead of a measure of your accuracy causing unerring attacks. In other words high THAC0, high divergence, and you miss a lot.

d&d didn't really need wargaming algebra so BAB was a long time coming for such a no duh idea.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zedprime posted:

THAC0 is BAB but backwards because it came from wargaming algebra where you need to calculate where near missed went instead. It's a measure of your divergence causing inaccuracy instead of a measure of your accuracy causing unerring attacks. In other words high THAC0, high divergence, and you miss a lot.

d&d didn't really need wargaming algebra so BAB was a long time coming for such a no duh idea.

THAC0 was actually a step towards simplifying and making the game more accessible - AD&D 1e had all these pages of lookup tables for specific weapons versus armour. (Nevermind that something akin to THAC0 was already being used in Basic D&D.)

Jay Rust posted:

Does the +2 or whatever include my character’s base thac0, or is it just the sum of modifiers you mentioned?

Just the sum of modifiers.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Now allow me to introduce you to Rolemaster...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jay Rust posted:

You'll need to compare those rolls against the characters thac0. Your required to hit roll is your thac0 minus the target's AC. For simplicity's sake, let's assume your example has the character missing on 17 and hitting on 18; then we know your to hit roll would be 18. Then you can look up your character's thac0, and let's say it's 19. You have to subtract 1 from 19 to get 18, meaning that the target's AC would be 1 in that case. If your character's thac0 was 15, the target would have an AC of -3, et cetera.

In your example we don't know if the to hit roll would be 17, 18, or 19, meaning that we could only establish a range from 0 to 2 or -4 to -2 or whatever, but the principle is the same.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arivia posted:

THAC0 was actually a step towards simplifying and making the game more accessible - AD&D 1e had all these pages of lookup tables for specific weapons versus armour. (Nevermind that something akin to THAC0 was already being used in Basic D&D.)

Just the sum of modifiers.
AD&D was a mistake which is why no one corrects anyone who says "AD&D 2e, the second edition of D&D" and 3e was 3e.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You'll need to compare those rolls against the characters thac0. Your required to hit roll is your thac0 minus the target's AC. For simplicity's sake, let's assume your example has the character missing on 17 and hitting on 18; then we know your to hit roll would be 18. Then you can look up your character's thac0, and let's say it's 19. You have to subtract 1 from 19 to get 18, meaning that the target's AC would be 1 in that case. If your character's thac0 was 15, the target would have an AC of -3, et cetera.

In your example we don't know if the to hit roll would be 17, 18, or 19, meaning that we could only establish a range from 0 to 2 or -4 to -2 or whatever, but the principle is the same.

I hate it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's fair.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Pathfinder however is exhausting. I almost dread gaining a level in Kingmaker since it means going through the whole process for every character in the party.

Exhausting is the right word. And that you have to do it for the entire party is the icing on that tiring cake. It's no surprise that GOG's forums have more than one thread dedicated to PF:K builds and there are plenty of channels on YouTube with even more of them.

I cribbed this person's PF:K NPC builds because they were simple and thematic to the NPC while still being usable: https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/companion_builds/page1 But leveling up is still no fun because I'm just pressing the buttons this person suggests I do.

Most other build guides have you herding clumsy caterpillars through most of the game that magically turn into super-elite-optimized butterflies right as you hit the final dungeon.

It's not like I dislike planning a build or character, it's that PF has way too many choices and some of those are trap choices. Was playing FNV lately and I loved planning an Energy Weapons build that I mostly mapped out before starting using a build spreadsheet someone had made: https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/companion_builds/page1 - I like doing this. The difference is in both the number and quality of build choices. FNV is better on both counts.

Playing BG1 again has been refreshing. I spent some time deciding on what to use as CHARNAME and saw references to the Gnome Fighter/Illusionist that is one of many broken builds you can choose, but is also the build that requires the least micromanaging while also being online for the whole game - sold! No guides required.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I never found 2e that ridiculous to understand. At least, not for CRPG purposes. I quickly grasped even as a dumb child playing bg in 1998 or whatever that lower thac0 = better and lower armor class = better. You really don't need to know anything more than that for Baldur's Gate. Equip the weapon that makes your thac0 the lowest and equip the armor that makes your ac the lowest. If you know to go by those rules you don't even necessarily need to know why something is good or bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I agree that once you get over the quirk that lower number equals gooder, it’s not a problem at all, the computer handles the calculations and I’m happy with that. The game is consistent, even when it says “+2 bonus to AC” or “save versus Spell with a -2 penalty”, the words “bonus” and “penalty” in those contexts smooth things over. But sometimes I also like knowing the hows and whys, like most recently I wanted to find out what I would need to roll to hit the dwarf bounty hunter in Beregost and how much he needed to roll to hit me. And with 2e, figuring that stuff out takes some work, at least for me...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I agree that once you get over the quirk that lower number equals gooder, it’s not a problem at all, the computer handles the calculations and I’m happy with that. The game is consistent, even when it says “+2 bonus to AC” or “save versus Spell with a -2 penalty”, the words “bonus” and “penalty” in those contexts smooth things over. But sometimes I also like knowing the hows and whys, like most recently I wanted to find out what I would need to roll to hit the dwarf bounty hunter in Beregost and how much he needed to roll to hit me. And with 2e, figuring that stuff out takes some work, at least for me...

Yes, the IE games don't make it very easy to calculate what an enemy's AC is. (In person you say "I hit AC 5" to the DM and they go "nope, that's a miss", since things are slower and more easily digestible a group of engaged players can figure out an enemy's AC after a round or so.)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Yeah, I do the same, using other people's builds for companions, and building my own main char dwarven ranger just because. With a single character, I can deal with spending a bit of time, and plain longbow ranger is pretty straightforward, but with the full party and their weird classes? No, absolutely not. And it doesn't help that a ton of those selectable perks are uninspiring situational +1 here, +2 there which just happen to all stack and be relevant/necessary 14 levels later. And I won't even get into the stacking non-stacking stuff and the 3/4/5 different ACs?

Honestly, I like *a lot* of what Kingmaker does, it's a pretty magnificent piece of work, but boy am I exhausted with the hyperfocus on every single +1 source.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Yes, the IE games don't make it very easy to calculate what an enemy's AC is. (In person you say "I hit AC 5" to the DM and they go "nope, that's a miss", since things are slower and more easily digestible a group of engaged players can figure out an enemy's AC after a round or so.)

I haven't played in a few years (I should rectify that) but don't they have a setting to turn on hit rolls in the feedback window? I thought you could see the hit rolls if you turned that on, but maybe I'm thinking of some other game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't played in a few years (I should rectify that) but don't they have a setting to turn on hit rolls in the feedback window? I thought you could see the hit rolls if you turned that on, but maybe I'm thinking of some other game.

Yes, which is part of what got this conversation started. But it's harder to keep up with doing that math in IE, especially because the result of your roll shown isn't mapped to an AC you would hit.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It is an acronym for "to hit armor class 0" and represents the d20 roll one would need to hit a target whose armor class is 0.

ah i see

how does one roll a -5

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

goblin week posted:

ah i see

how does one roll a -5

penalties.

but the practical upshot is that anything but a 1 hits.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

goblin week posted:

ah i see

how does one roll a -5

Say your THAC0 is 12, meaning that you need to roll 12 or more to hit an AC of 0. Then you need a 13 or more to hit an AC of -1, 14 for -2, 15 for -3, 16 for -4, and so 17 for -5.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Honestly, I like *a lot* of what Kingmaker does, it's a pretty magnificent piece of work, but boy am I exhausted with the hyperfocus on every single +1 source.

I do too, it has a very BG-like feel in many ways. It's the underlying PF systems that are problematic.

PF:K's character/leveling UI is very good IMO, does a great job of showing per-class progression options up front. The problem is that all the additional complexity comes from being able to dip into any other class at any give point.

Pillars 2 has a very good UI for its skills tree, showing it all up front along with dependencies bring clearly visible. I wish more games did that so players could more effectively plan and, more importantly, use all the game's systems.

Ginette Reno posted:

I never found 2e that ridiculous to understand. At least, not for CRPG purposes. I quickly grasped even as a dumb child playing bg in 1998 or whatever that lower thac0 = better and lower armor class = better. You really don't need to know anything more than that for Baldur's Gate. Equip the weapon that makes your thac0 the lowest and equip the armor that makes your ac the lowest. If you know to go by those rules you don't even necessarily need to know why something is good or bad.

Other than the lower number is better thing in a number of places being unintuitive 2e is not that complicated. 2e's attributes are pretty simple and orthogonal too.

For e.g., I think it was 3e that introduced Finesse(?) that lets you use Dex as your damage stat - it's a cool idea, but you now have an entire multiplicative layer of complexity in builds that you need to plan way ahead for because Finesse isn't available at the start of the game.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Advanced D&D was so named bc Dave Arneson had fallen out with Gygax by then and this game was TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND DAVE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT AND WILL GET NO MONEY.

John Holmes (not that one), MD saw what a big soupy mess all of this was and asked to design a basic intro. Tom Moldvay revised that and then Frank Menzer revised that, and it became a completely different game. They released 5 box sets taking characters up to level 36 and then immortality. I think it was viewed as Baby D&D, but it has its own strengths (including clear instructions on how to actually play). only 3 alignments, nonhuman race = class, fewer stats, simpler mods, no skills.

meanwhile I still argue that while 2e is much better than 1e, it kinda sucks, but (but) it's what I know. I haven't DMed in... 25 years? more? but I could still run a 2e game off the dome. ::cthulhu:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

v1ld posted:

For e.g., I think it was 3e that introduced Finesse(?) that lets you use Dex as your damage stat - it's a cool idea, but you now have an entire multiplicative layer of complexity in builds that you need to plan way ahead for because Finesse isn't available at the start of the game.
Finesse is dex to hit and available from the very beginning, dex to damage is far harder to acquire has no consistent name and is usually not available at level 1. Finesse training, agile, and <fighting style name> grace are all different ways to get dex to damage.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goblin week posted:

ah i see

how does one roll a -5

Very easily.

So in this case your THAC0 is -5, and assuming your enemy has an AC of 0 any roll (except crit miss) will hit. So 2 or better.

Thar remains true up until your enemy reaching an AC of -8, at which point you'd need to roll at least a 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Finesse is dex to hit and available from the very beginning, dex to damage is far harder to acquire has no consistent name and is usually not available at level 1. Finesse training, agile, and <fighting style name> grace are all different ways to get dex to damage.

Those are usually in Pathfinder though. The only D&D 3e computer RPGs I can think of with Dex to damage are Neverwinter Nights, where it's a swashbuckler/duelist thing.

Pathfinder also has a hilarious system corner case where finesse means at low levels a young version of the same animal is more dangerous than the same animal as an adult. A similar gotcha exists in all versions of 3e/PF where a baby becomes weaker as soon as they decide to be a wizard.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

I'm having too much fun with BGEE on the PC. Almost talked myself into picking up the Switch version right after wrapping up a session with the game on the PC. Will pick it up if it goes on sale in the next month, I think.

Ask and you shall receive: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/baldurs-gate-and-baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-editions

$15 total for both games on Switch, digital. Sale goes through Dec 1st.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jay Rust posted:

Subtract the enemies AC from your THAC0 to get the number you must meet or exceed to hit. The lower the AC, the better the armor is. Negative AC increases your THAC0.

The other weird thing is things that say "+2 to THAC0" actually reduce your THAC0 while penalties increase it.

The super simplified version of all this is armor and THAC0 both get better as their values decrease. Bonuses reduce those amounts while penalties increase them.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
at some point before 3e, someone noticed that thac0 involved an unintuitive extra step and published an article in Dragon magazine with the current system of positive armor class and adding bonuses to rolls. the buddy I played with most often was much more math-savvy than I was and realized how much easier this made things, so we switched over right away.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Subtract the enemies AC from your THAC0 to get the number you must meet or exceed to hit. The lower the AC, the better the armor is. Negative AC increases your THAC0.

It’s a little easier to get your head around if you add the target’s AC to your to-hit roll. Then negative AC actually makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glimpse posted:

It’s a little easier to get your head around if you add the target’s AC to your to-hit roll. Then negative AC actually makes sense.

Yeah, there’s a very simple formula for a lot of classic D&D that works that way with the numbers being mostly the same http://www.oedgames.com/target20/