Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How about that? What are good games to play while trying to have a good long sustained conversation, either in-person or with a phone?

I have a standing Rocket League hour~ every Friday night after the kids go to sleep. We chat & try to steal the ball from eachother at every opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

There's so many games on sale! Right now I'm thinking of getting Lego City Undercover, A Short Hike, and the Castlevania GBA collection. A coworker just got a Switch, so I'm going to give her a store card, too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Omnikin posted:

I have a standing Rocket League hour~ every Friday night after the kids go to sleep. We chat & try to steal the ball from eachother at every opportunity

Sorry, I should clarify, not games I play with the person I'm talking to.

I live abroad so I usually have hour plus convos with my parents Stateside, they're not playing with me.

Now is Rocket League ok to just boot up with strangers because if so, fair.

Waffle! posted:

There's so many games on sale! Right now I'm thinking of getting Lego City Undercover, A Short Hike, and the Castlevania GBA collection. A coworker just got a Switch, so I'm going to give her a store card, too.

A Short Hike is a perfect game, at whatever price is offered.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Xenoblade 2 is on sale for the literal one time of year it goes on sale: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/xenoblade-chronicles-2

buy it now or wait until November 2022!

(I'm debating whether to go ahead and get Torna which is also on sale, or just assume that if I have time to get to Torna between now and November 2022 I will be okay paying the extra $10 for it at full price)

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thinking about either Persona 5 Strikers or Immortal Fenyx Rising. But I'm also thinking about how I have dragon quest xi and three houses in the old backlog and I shouldn't pile it deeper.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

American McGay posted:

Feels more like they're leaving the door open as opposed to confirming plans. I have a hard time thinking of what would even work for paid DLC. There's already a decent selection of courses. They could do like, all the courses from past Mario Golf games but would people really pay $20 for another 12 courses? Maybe a completely new mode, something like a full minigolf game. That might be cool.
I would pay $20 for 12 more courses, but I don't expect anything like that. Mini golf would be cool, but I don't know how that would fit into he whole speed golf theme.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Talking in the phone games

I like golf games for this.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

xedo posted:

Thinking about either Persona 5 Strikers or Immortal Fenyx Rising. But I'm also thinking about how I have dragon quest xi and three houses in the old backlog and I shouldn't pile it deeper.

If it helps any, it may be a factor that P5:S and Immortal both have gameplay that's fairly different from the JRPG/TRPG of your current slate.

At least for me, I know I like to have an action or adventure game to play along with my visual novels or turn-based games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beastie posted:

I like golf games for this.

And I don't really like golf games... I like Tennis games myself. I was thinking of getting What the Golf...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How about that? What are good games to play while trying to have a good long sustained conversation, either in-person or with a phone?

void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium is one. It's a turn-based mystery dungeon that stops when you stop without having to pause. You can only take a number of steps (it varies) before you run out of energy and have to return home. And you're just trying to get as deep and as far into these labyrinths as possible, as you gradually upgrade your character

*actually, this post seems in reference to multiplayer. I found this game to not be distracting when I'm on the phone, or waiting on hold. It's not like a fighting game where it requires all your focus

Spellman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 24, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition port on switch playable? Its 75% off.

Or would I be better off with the Castlevania GBA collection

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Has the Hat in Time port been improved any? I remember people were complaining about long load times, I dunno if there were any actual bugs or not.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rutibex posted:

Is the Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition port on switch playable? Its 75% off.

Or would I be better off with the Castlevania GBA collection

I dunno if it's unplayable but from what I've heard the PoE port is real bad. Like barely functions and crashes a lot bad, and the publisher has said there will be no more patches to address this.

PoE is very good and is a hearty recommendation from me, but I'd steer clear of the Switch version.

Castlevania GBA collection is good.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sorry, I should clarify, not games I play with the person I'm talking to.

I live abroad so I usually have hour plus convos with my parents Stateside, they're not playing with me.

iirc you're already very familiar with picross. but may i suggest: more picross.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Bought Hades and SMT V (not on sale). Debating if I want to tap into another full priced gam,e and get Great Ace Attorney, but I’m more than confident Capcom will have it for $20 within six months.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Put Famicom Detective Club on sale Nintendo, you cowards!

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Anyone have a boxing game they like for Switch? My wife liked Wii Boxing so we got Fitness Boxing for the Switch, but that one's too much like a workout class, and not enough like actually pretending you are punching someone.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I've never played, but it sounds like what you want is Arms

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They announce any upcoming Black Friday type sales?

People are threatening to buy me Christmas gifts, and I'll probably want to play at least SMT:V by then.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

whats got a kick rear end sale, is coop and fukkin cool?
ALREADY HAVE BROFORCE AND TOWERFALL

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 25, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Black Friday eshop sale is already up, and most retailers have already at least announced the content of their sales, if not launched them already.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

That Scott Pilgrim beat'em'up is 50% off on the eshop, so $7.50. I haven't actually played it, but I think it was pretty popular?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Martman posted:

That Scott Pilgrim beat'em'up is 50% off on the eshop, so $7.50. I haven't actually played it, but I think it was pretty popular?

It's fine?
Like, it got so much attention because it was ripped from stores suddenly.

Overall the game isn't amazing but you'll get more than $10 of fun out of it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I beat metroid. I liked it a lot. It's just so much more fun than other platformers. Release prime you cowards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

It's fine?
Like, it got so much attention because it was ripped from stores suddenly.

Overall the game isn't amazing but you'll get more than $10 of fun out of it.

I agree with this. At that price tag it's definitely worth it but if it had never been delisted it would have faded into obscurity

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Castle Crashers, and Streets of Rage 4 would be my couch co-op choices.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Waffle! posted:

Castle Crashers, and Streets of Rage 4 would be my couch co-op choices.

Sadly done both
That dlc for rage is great

I rec The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Streets of Rage 4 have a lot of replayability?

Playing 2 on the Genesis again has reignited my interest.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Scott Pilgrim came out at a time where sprite based Beat ‘Em Ups were very rare, now that there are thousands of them on steam and Switch it doesn’t really stand out.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also the soundtrack RIPS

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Does Streets of Rage 4 have a lot of replayability?

Playing 2 on the Genesis again has reignited my interest.

Yes!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

woke kaczynski posted:

Has the Hat in Time port been improved any? I remember people were complaining about long load times, I dunno if there were any actual bugs or not.

The game wasn't updated, but Nintendo put out new firmware that overclocks it while loading. It's still longer than you expect, but it makes a big difference

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Scott Pilgrim game has a great artstyle and good music but the gameplay itself isn't very good, which got overlooked by people begging for it to come back for years after being delisted. I don't know how much Streets of Rage 4 is right now but your money would go a lot farther towards that, the best game in the genre since SoR2.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dead Cells is dirt cheap and getting a big update soon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I normally wouldn't post an unboxing video for a game that came out two weeks ago but this is great, this lady loves jrpgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHhIOqaklwE

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Slay the spire works for this. Also enter the gungeon, once you're familiar with it. And into the breach

Junkie Disease posted:

Enter the gungeon might be up your alley, not on sale though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone have these controllers?

https://twitter.com/SwitchUpG/status/1463172519201067018?t=j9p5LbpIkkAzt-MyhFi8Iw&s=19

Cause I just ordered them, with the coupon code here as low as $35 (but I got the transparent ones for $40).

Battery life looks a little low but this actually has gyro, can be used seperate from the system, and most importantly can wake the system from sleep, plus it looks cool

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Picked up DQXIS now that it's at its lowest ever price on the eshop. I figured since I'd already played the original on PS4 I'd play primarily in 2D mode, but that mode really is pretty barebones isn't it? None of the enemy battle sprites are animated at all, which was really the big draw of the 2D DQ games. Granted, I only played to the end of Cobblestone Tor, but I don't see that changing later on. I know I'm going to have to play Tickington in 2D, but otherwise I think I'm going to stick to 3D and give everyone the silliest-looking costumes I can.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://twitter.com/SwitchUpG/status/1463172519201067018?t=j9p5LbpIkkAzt-MyhFi8Iw&s=19

Cause I just ordered them, with the coupon code here as low as $35 (but I got the transparent ones for $40).

Battery life looks a little low but this actually has gyro, can be used seperate from the system, and most importantly can wake the system from sleep, plus it looks cool

Yeah these are just Binboks, they’re decent. I’ve been using them for like 2 months with no issues. I know a few other people itt are using them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They're OK, I use them. The rumble is pretty bad, and I initially had to do some futzing around with the firmware bc the + and - buttons weren't working right, but they have a nice feel in my hands and they work pretty well for me now. (and I like the glowing joysticks)