Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

-Blackadder- posted:

The fact that people can be so divorced from reality as to not recognize that they're white supremacists, when they're very obviously white supremacists, is a way that systemic racism perpetuates itself, and is something that should be proactively dug into and addressed on a policy level.

One of the ways that this is done is that literally everything about society is white supremacist, so white people often don't see anything wrong with white supremacy even as they participate in and perpetuate it, and benefit from it.

It's just how things should be(tm) and does a fish notice water?

Noticing it is not beneficial, you're using it for everything.

VVVV I mean, it took 2 months to even get arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I honestly thought they'd get off, because America.

They would've. Their own hubris was the only thing that got them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents is just like how there's some voters that "try to balance" the gov. teams by voting for whatever gets balance, the jurors voted for a "balanced" verdict. Rittenhouse's win needed to be balance by a Charlottesville lost and this one.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guys. The Nazis killed mostly white people, but we keep calling them white supremacists?

Can anyone explain please because Im confused.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ We could also talk about the U.S. military as a genocidal & racist institution. There's no end to such institutions in this country. :)

PhazonLink posted:

My two cents is just like how there's some voters that "try to balance" the gov. teams by voting for whatever gets balance, the jurors voted for a "balanced" verdict. Rittenhouse's win needed to be balance by a Charlottesville lost and this one.

Or, possibly, each panel was following jury instructions based on applicable law.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 24, 2021

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
One of the DAs involved in the Arbery case is being rightfully indicted by a grand jury on charges of violation of oath of public officer and obstruction of a police officer.

Hope she gets some solid jail time.

"If convicted, the violation of oath of a public officer is a felony charge that carries a sentence of one to five years. The obstruction and hindering a law enforcement officer charge is a misdemeanor that carries up to 12 months."

https://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia/2021/09/08/ex-brunswick-da-misconduct-in-ahmaud-arbery-death-investigation-booked-into-jail/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CommieGIR posted:

If it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, hangs out with other ducks, I don't think we need to have a conversation about why it might be a duck.

A convenient position to hold when you also choose not to challenge the beliefs of anyone in your life you have labelled a duck.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Terebus posted:

One of the DAs involved in the Arbery case is being rightfully indicted by a grand jury on charges of violation of oath of public officer and obstruction of a police officer.

Hope she gets some solid jail time.

"If convicted, the violation of oath of a public officer is a felony charge that carries a sentence of one to five years. The obstruction and hindering a law enforcement officer charge is a misdemeanor that carries up to 12 months."

https://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia/2021/09/08/ex-brunswick-da-misconduct-in-ahmaud-arbery-death-investigation-booked-into-jail/

I would like to see a DA ambitious to go after them as accessory to murder

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nine-gear crow posted:

Both of them do. I don’t know who was the more racist of the two, the guy who kept having meltdowns and asking for a mistrial every day because Al Sharpton was sitting in the gallery with the family, or the long dirty toenails lady.

Also these guys are going up on federal hate crimes charges now after this, so their fun juuuuust beginning.

It's the defense attorneys' job to provide a robust defense for their client(s). How they did it is despicable but they can be censured or disbarred by their state bar association if their conduct was found to be unprofessional. I'm not sure what the standards are for being censured, but generally speaking, I don't think they did anything professionally wrong so much as just wildly distasteful. Attorneys do that poo poo all the time, the major difference here is that it was a high profile, highly publicized trial.

Hell, in terms of breaching professional ethics, these two probably aren't even the worst ones involved in the case - that award probably belongs to the DA who failed to file charges and is now facing a felony indictment herself over her handling of the case. Her not getting charged would have been a far worse miscarriage of justice than 2 lovely defense attorneys saying despicable poo poo.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

If it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, hangs out with other ducks, I don't think we need to have a conversation about why it might be a duck.

No need to have a discussion when a trite thought-terminating cliche on the business end of a probestick wins you the argument.

It’s not like these narratives have been wrong or misplaced in the past (ie Pulse).

Just a fantastic job.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Can somebody link me to the "severing or reforming republicans in your life" thread so I can laugh at people that can't see a difference between "outspoken fascists/white supremacists" and "more than a third of people in America*".

*a country we all agree has a culture and history that perpetuates ignorance of the cause and effect of these attitudes

Seriously though I got the impression this wasn't the place for that issue and I can see why, it seems heated and difficult to come to a concensus on

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
1/3 of Americans being Fascists sounds about right. The Republican brand is very much about abolishing Democracy and White Supremacy these days.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fame Douglas posted:

1/3 of Americans being Fascists sounds about right. The Republican brand is very much about abolishing Democracy and White Supremacy these days.

The thing that's so interesting about this fact is that it is an uncontrollable beast. Even the top members of the Republican party trying to emphasize getting a vaccine now or being yelled and screamed at. While they can use them when they wish and influence them as much as they can, they are unable to control what happens.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fame Douglas posted:

I really wonder how the right is going to react when Trump is put under criminal indictment which is likely to happen later this winter along with many of his other associates. McConnel and many others would love to see him kicked out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The thing that's so interesting about this fact is that it is an uncontrollable beast. Even the top members of the Republican party trying to emphasize getting a vaccine now or being yelled and screamed at. While they can use them when they wish and influence them as much as they can, they are unable to control what happens.

I said this before, but Zuck, Jack, and Murdoch (and several other old media billionaires) COULD settle for a slightly lower rate of billions and foster a healthier US/world. But they dont for reasons.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I really wonder how the right is going to react when Trump is put under criminal indictment which is likely to happen later this winter along with many of his other associates. McConnel and many others would love to see him kicked out.

How is that likely at all? No jury in the US would ever convict Trump, he's not going to get indicted by anyone.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

And those top members will be slowly replaced by the Gaetz/Cawthorn/MTG/Boebert crowd.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I really wonder how the right is going to react when Trump is put under criminal indictment which is likely to happen later this winter along with many of his other associates.
Err… what?

PhazonLink posted:

I said this before, but Zuck, Jack, and Murdoch (and several other old media billionaires) COULD settle for a slightly lower rate of billions and foster a healthier US/world. But they dont for reasons.
The reason they don't is stated in the previous sentence: fewer billions? Not a chance.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I wish I had your optimism

The entire GOP, from top to bottom, will continue to cover for Trump and protect him from any legal consequences, because any other course of action would involve admitting that it was wrong to have put him into office to begin with

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Abner Assington posted:

And those top members will be slowly replaced by the Gaetz/Cawthorn/MTG/Boebert crowd.

Err… what?

The reason they don't is stated in the previous sentence: fewer billions? Not a chance.

Well that's what's crazy because they made a literal deal with the devil by getting in bed with the white supremacist. We are actually seeing the end times of southern strategy land on the Republican party. It took a hundred loving years but in an interesting way, the people that the top members represent have now taken over their positions. And brought along all their shittiness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fame Douglas posted:

No jury in the US would ever convict Trump, he's not going to get indicted by anyone.

I disagree about the first part, but we're probably never going to find out because of the second part

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It took a hundred loving years but in an interesting way

It took about 50 years, the Southern Strategy began in the late 60s to take advantage of the rift the civil rights movement caused in the Democrats

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Lmao trump is never getting indicted.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CommieGIR posted:

.....I don't think this is the convincing feel good argument you think it is. And maybe it wasn't meant to feel good, but it highlights that we still allow this sort of vitriol to be seen as "acceptable"

He wasn't using it as a feel good story at all. The exact opposite. How some people are terrible people but they define their hate in weirdly disassociative ways. He was deriding his family member.

"I don't understand why you'd call me racist!?! I fixed the ******s car!"

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Not that it vindicated our systems, but I'm so glad those three fucks were found guilty. Our coungry is ready to tear itself apart and America's race war does not serve any of our causes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fame Douglas posted:

How is that likely at all? No jury in the US would ever convict Trump, he's not going to get indicted by anyone.

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao trump is never getting indicted.

NY State and Georgia both have active on-going investigations. His kids were literally caught using burner phones to coordinate the January 6th coup and they'll likely be called to testify sooner than later.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

NY State and Georgia both have active on-going investigations. His kids were literally caught using burner phones to coordinate the January 6th coup and they'll likely be called to testify sooner than later.

And they will still not indict trump because no president or party wants to set the precedent that a president can be indicted because they, too, will want to avoid that happening to them. They will not let trump face consequences because they don't want to set that standard.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

They will not let trump face consequences because they don't want to set that standard.

Is this just idle conjecture on your part or are you actually basing it on something?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If the kids are part of a criminal conspiracy, wouldn't they just be able to plead the 5th?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

snorch posted:

Is this just idle conjecture on your part or are you actually basing it on something?

people have been speaking ominously about consequences for Trump since he began his campaign so dont hold it against people for feeling skeptical

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

snorch posted:

See every previous President in regards to War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's surprising how little publicity the Arbery case has gotten from the left compared to Rittenhouse. It's a far more terrifying and egregious example of white supremacy in action.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The first one recusing herself was probably the right thing to do. The rest are garbage though.

If I lived anywhere near there, I'd show up with some bibles.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

KillHour posted:

The first one recusing herself was probably the right thing to do. The rest are garbage though.

Please only do this if you’ve got like 20 friends to go with you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Please only do this if you’ve got like 20 friends to go with you.

One of the many benefits of being a very large white male is the only thing I'd likely have to worry about is the disapproving pursed lips of all the neighborhood Karens. But alas I'm not driving 8 hours to do that, fun as it would be.

Edit: I should point out that the reason I bring up my privileged status is to say that the privilege that keeps me relatively safe doing something like that comes with a moral duty to do it if I can.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 25, 2021

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

KillHour posted:

The first one has been indicted for obstruction of justice:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ahmaud-arbery-prosecutor-jackie-johnson-charged-obstruction/

She may have recused herself in the end, but still garbage.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's surprising how little publicity the Arbery case has gotten from the left compared to Rittenhouse. It's a far more terrifying and egregious example of white supremacy in action.

Personally I consider them equally terrifying and egregious. Pick your poison. A black guy gets lynched in Georgia and it almost floats under the radar, with the authorities turning a blind eye to it and letting the murderers go unpunished until enough people raise a stink over it, along with their thankfully being video.

Then with Rittenhouse a white suprimacist kid marches into a peaceful protest with a rifle keen on starting some violent poo poo, violent poo poo occurs and he murders two people, then he gets acquitted because he had a lot of money come to his defense and that's how America's criminal justice system works. It's all pretty horrifying. Maybe if the guys who lynched Arbery had unlimited money funding their defense they would have got off too, but the case was a little more obscure and a bit more clear-cut, so they didn't get that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The first one has been indicted for obstruction of justice:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ahmaud-arbery-prosecutor-jackie-johnson-charged-obstruction/

She may have recused herself in the end, but still garbage.

Ah, the old "I'm about to get in trouble for how I did this time to recuse myself from it and hope nobody notices" move. Oldest one in the book.

Edit: Can we change the timeout notice to not red? Every time I post it looks like I got probated and I go into a mild panic until I remember.

...maybe that says more about my posting than it does about the notice.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 25, 2021

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

Personally I consider them equally terrifying and egregious. Pick your poison. A black guy gets lynched in Georgia and it almost floats under the radar, with the authorities turning a blind eye to it and letting the murderers go unpunished until enough people raise a stink over it, along with their thankfully being video.

Then with Rittenhouse a white suprimacist kid marches into a peaceful protest with a rifle keen on starting some violent poo poo, violent poo poo occurs and he murders two people, then he gets acquitted because he had a lot of money come to his defense and that's how America's criminal justice system works. It's all pretty horrifying. Maybe if the guys who lynched Arbery had unlimited money funding their defense they would have got off too, but the case was a little more obscure and a bit more clear-cut, so they didn't get that.

Getting chased and murdered while you're out for a jog, only to have your racist killers nearly get away with it because one is a retired cop, is so much more outrageous than vigilantes killing other vigilantes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Typical Pubbie posted:

Getting chased and murdered while you're out for a jog, only to have your racist killers nearly get away with it because one is a retired cop, is so much more outrageous than vigilantes killing other vigilantes.

Whoa now, I agree with your point that the case was scarier but nobody in the Rittenhouse thing is a "vigilante"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

Whoa now, I agree with your point that the case was scarier but nobody in the Rittenhouse thing is a "vigilante"

uhhhh Rittenhouse absolutely was by his own words tbough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

KillHour posted:

One of the many benefits of being a very large white male is the only thing I'd likely have to worry about is the disapproving pursed lips of all the neighborhood Karens. But alas I'm not driving 8 hours to do that, fun as it would be.

Edit: I should point out that the reason I bring up my privileged status is to say that the privilege that keeps me relatively safe doing something like that comes with a moral duty to do it if I can.

Easy to get Rittenhoused now, by some konceal karry karen