Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harold Fjord posted:

As I understand it, Hickman planned a short-term status quo change, not unlike Dark Reign, and they loved it so much they are slow rolling the rest of his story. Is that right? I might have missed some news. Getting more bits a good sign.

He had multiple stages (3 I think, but I could be wrong) and Krakoa was only the first one and they are staying then longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’m loving the idea of Krakoa and a lot of the stuff that’s come from it so they can take their time as far as I’m concerned. I dread the inevitable return to Westchester.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they might as well stay as since they will never commit to the school gimmick the X-men have been listless for like 30 years at this point

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What happened to Wolverine running the school?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I've got my chronology right, it led directly into freedom fighter Cyclops, which led into the original 5 X-Men becoming time displaced, which was right before Marvel tried to quietly shove all of the mutants into a locker hoping people would forget about them

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I always wonder if someone trying to have a normal conversation with Destiny is just the absolute worst experience.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

What happened to Wolverine running the school?

Oh, that feels like a lifetime ago. I think it went away thanks to X-Men Blue and Gold.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that feels like a lifetime ago. I think it went away thanks to X-Men Blue and Gold.

oh yeah that reminds me, the young x-men are still running around, right? Have they given young Cyclops his own potential future children yet?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

oh yeah that reminds me, the young x-men are still running around, right? Have they given young Cyclops his own potential future children yet?

they were sent back to the past by cable, who was killed by cable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cable then got better

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

Cable then got better

yes, cable sent cable a cable and told him to table his mutant stable if he was able

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

they were sent back to the past by cable, who was killed by cable

drat. I always thought the young x-men storyline was super stupid and bad, but if they're gonna do it then at least we should get a comic where Cable, Nate, and Ruby have to team up to fight the future children of young Cyclops, but then they all have to work together when they find out that the whole thing was a setup by young Cyclop's equivalent of Stryfe.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am unsure if Hulk #1 is really good or really bad. I think I liked it, but also know I will tire of the premise if they don't keep it fresh.

Bruce Banner is very unsympathetic, which is interesting, but also he just loves abusing children. Who can say if Donny Cates is good or bad.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am unsure if Hulk #1 is really good or really bad. I think I liked it, but also know I will tire of the premise if they don't keep it fresh.

Bruce Banner is very unsympathetic, which is interesting, but also he just loves abusing children. Who can say if Donny Cates is good or bad.

I really liked the Immortal Hulk run but this just felt really bad to me. I'll probably read the next two or three issues just to see if the initial premise just didn't stick the landing for me, but man it's a tough sell taking over after Immortal Hulk was so good.

Not Hulk related but I am really enjoying The Death of Doctor Strange. I can't quite put my finger on why I find it so good/entertaining, but it's a joy to read.

I do kinda feel like I'm the only one having fun reading Amazing Spider-Man right now, but mostly because I like Ben enough that it hasn't worn out its welcome (yet).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the premise might work if it wasn't coming directly after immortal hulk. it ignores everything that happened in a much better book and somehow managed to cram in a reminder that knull exists.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was always gonna be this way. The entire length of the character's existence has been marked by radical status quo shifts, not just from author to author but sometimes by the same creative team multiple times. Pretty much no one ends up going the same way as their predecessor - it's not like Spider-Man where you have consistent concrete settings, themes, supporting casts, etc, probably because Lee and Kirby frequently threw all that poo poo out and did new stuff with the Hulk whenever they felt like it from pretty much day...well not 1 but let's say 2 or 3.

The only constant with the Hulk is change, appropriately enough.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I can strongly recommend going back and reading the old Tales to Astonish issues with Hulk because they're an absolute riot. In one issue he can fly all of a sudden for absolutely no reason! In another he turns into Hulk but with Bruce Banner's head! They really were just flinging everything at the wall and it's got a great manic energy about it.

Like how can you not love this absolute nonsense:

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 25, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

somehow managed to cram in a reminder that knull exists.
:negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol at how bad hulk is

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cates Hulk was fine - possibly even good - but it does have the unfortunate fate of following up Immortal Hulk.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

At least the art is good? :gbsmith:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

He can fly now?!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Rochallor posted:

He can fly now?!

“Hulk take R Kelly song to heart!”

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In media res is a choice for starting out your story, but it's one that often leads to total disconnect from the plot and apathy. I have no idea what is going on in Hulk, and I've been given no reason to care. Still about what I expected from whatever followed Immortal.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I did not enjoy the new Hulk issue, for all the reasons everyone else has already said. Will not be following this new run. The thing is, literally everyone already knew that it wasn't going to be the same, but it still disappointed me. The same advice still rings true: follow the writer, not the character.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gologle posted:

I did not enjoy the new Hulk issue, for all the reasons everyone else has already said. Will not be following this new run. The thing is, literally everyone already knew that it wasn't going to be the same, but it still disappointed me. The same advice still rings true: follow the writer, not the character.

I dunno if Cates is cursed or just a bad writer (though Knull suggests the latter), but I can't stand his Thor, and I gave his Hulk a read and can't bring myself to even dislike it. It's just... nothing. I can't bring myself to care. I don't want every run to be Van Art Thor or Immortal Hulk, but I do want them to be something interesting. Cates (outside of King in Black) isn't even bad, just boring as hell.

Sometimes, following the writer means staying the hell away; Cates is now on my list (along with Dan Slott and Nick Spencer).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I liked his Guardians of the Galaxy and I think some of the early parts of his Venom (before he really went all in on Knull) were good too but yeah at this point Cates is kind of a warning bell to me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we all knew it was gonna suck, especially coming mere weeks after IH the comparison wasn't gonna be pretty. but yeah it definitely lived up to that assumption

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Cates is mediocre AND seems to regularly follow groundbreaking runs. That's a tough position

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm sick of "actually Bruce Banner is the monster!" stories

This is just the same poo poo he did with Donald Blake in his Thor run. All of a sudden the human part is massively overpowered and in charge and nobody can stop them

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm sick of "actually Bruce Banner is the monster!" stories

This is just the same poo poo he did with Donald Blake in his Thor run. All of a sudden the human part is massively overpowered and in charge and nobody can stop them

In fairness, Ewing and Pak also both dabbled with that notion. Maybe Waid and Loeb too, but I didn't read those?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm just very intrigued by how that pitch meeting must have went.

"okay donny, we're nearing the end of this run that has a lot of attention and acclaim. al has done some very big things with these characters and continuity, and we'd like to see where you'd take it from here."

"well, ummm, looks around the room how about notices a space shuttle model on the bookshelf..the hulk....becomes...a spaceship??"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness, Ewing and Pak also both dabbled with that notion. Maybe Waid and Loeb too, but I didn't read those?

Yeah, that's why I'm sick of it. It's been done before, and by much better writers. And it's the second time Cates has done this in like, less than a year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Jason Aaron too. "Maybe Banner is the bad guy" is well trodden ground.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the standard version of the hulk is very sympathetic and banner is often in conflict with him. so, 'banner is the real villain' is almost too obvious.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Cates has strengths as a writer but for whatever reason he does not showcase them in the very early parts of a run, where he should really be putting his best foot forward. I think he does very fine stuff when he's doing character work, but he keeps leading with exhausting Loeb/Aaron-style feats of pointless escalation and high concept gimmickry. I read the last issue of his Venom and once you scrape away the Knull of it all and the magic symbiote weapons and the space gods and Venom growing wings there was a pretty good story about a guy and his kid at the heart of it. It's like trying to read a nice lowkey novel while super annoying butt rock is blasting at max volume, except the novel and the butt rock are somehow by the same person.

This Hulk debut was not a good issue. I bet his fifth issue will be better, and his twentieth issue might even be very good, but I dunno, I probably won't be around to see it because life is short and I have other stuff to read. Maybe I'll check it out again later if enough people say it picks up, but as a first issue, which should be a strong and clear statement, it was a big dud.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cates first arc on Venom was great.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think Cates Venom run was pretty good, but after the Absolute Carnage story, it was like a switch flipped and I didn't care anymore. The stuff with Dylan was mostly solid, but boy that last arc was such a pointless mess. Knull was a neat, dare I say cool, concept right up until he appeared on screen for the first time. Get that clown rear end fucker out of here.

The only difference between King in Black and War of the Realms was the color pallette. At least Aaron writes his events as big goofy fun while the extremely Edgelord King in Black was too self serious while somehow feeling like there were less stakes than a Frost Giant invasion. Yeesh.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think they were both middling events buoyed by very strong tie-ins. The main distinction is that by the point each event happened, Aaron's Thor stuff still had a much stronger reputation while Cates' Venom already had a lot of detractors, with the increasing leaning on Knull stuff not helping. Also of course, Knull was both new and stupid looking, so didn't have the visual gravity of the whole clutch of War of the Realms antagonists.

But you're absolutely right that structurally they were pretty similar-- I think in general Cates takes a lot of pointers from the Jason Aaron playbook, in terms of how he approached continuity and spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have a Knull question. He is like an ancient being that made the Symbiotes, right? So why does he have a spider on his chest? The Venom Symbiote has a spider on it's chest because it was bonded to Spiderman. None of the other Symbiotes, as far as I am aware, have spiders. So why does Knull have a spider?