Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

lol RIP

https://www.seattlepi.com/weather/article/3-atmospheric-river-events-to-hit-western-wa-16649332.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:captainpop:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Uh

quote:

Seattle is currently poised to receive up to an inch of rain through Friday morning while areas farther south like Tacoma and Olympia could see 1.5 inches of rain over the same period.

Did they mean feet? Because 1.5 inches of rain is not that much...

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Uh

Did they mean feet? Because 1.5 inches of rain is not that much...

Most of the rain is dumping in the mountains that then dumps the water into rivers. A lot of flooded places haven't had much chance to discharge all the water into the ocean from the last storms. Three in succession is going to overload a lot of water sheds.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Water also tends to run down and collect in areas and not cover everything evenly.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

The main issue right now is landslides because the ground has been saturated for weeks. Also the report says Whatcom County is getting more rain than Seattle and if there's one thing the Northern communities don't need is more landslides and flooding. The Nooksack River was jumping its banks more than the pumps in Sumas Prairie could keep up with just a week ago, if it keeps raining like this that pump isn't going to keep the water out for much longer.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
meanwhile BC is expecting something like a foot of rain in the next three days.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvH7Tv4a7Z0

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Once in a lifetime events twice a week

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Popoto posted:

meanwhile BC is expecting something like a foot of rain in the next three days.

5 inches through 4pm tomorrow.

10 inches Saturday evening.

10 inches Tuesday evening.

Estimated.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rime posted:

5 inches through 4pm tomorrow.

10 inches Saturday evening.

10 inches Tuesday evening.

Estimated.

god drat

the thing i love about ecological catastrophe is that the rich can't escape it. but also i hate that no one can escape it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
for some reason that "estimated" at the end reminded me of earlier this year when weather models were predicting these super high temperatures on the west coast and people were like "oh no don't worry that's just a weird edge case in the models or something nbd" and woops turns out it wasn't. good times, good times

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if the weather patterns are starting to more rapidly change and we've gotten heat domes, a polar vortex and atmospheric rivers when are we going to see a city get some inconceivable amount of snow

like 20 feet of snow

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i did rather enjoy digging tunnels in snowbanks when i was a kid, so it might not be so bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if the weather patterns are starting to more rapidly change and we've gotten heat domes, a polar vortex and atmospheric rivers when are we going to see a city get some inconceivable amount of snow

like 20 feet of snow

thats a slow year in like rochester ny

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

scratch that its like double the average. its a big year in like rochester ny

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i meant someplace that isn't used to it and all in one storm, not annually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh cool. can it be miami?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Wisest Moron posted:

That and/or forced procreation.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

wait there's a part of the trans-canada highway in newfoundland? how does that work? it's not connected to the rest of canada. there's no bridge or tunnel

that's stupid. everything is stupid

I hate to be the one to break it to you but Hawaii has an Interstate Highway

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why is the expected rainfall so much less over the water? that red area between the two browns where you can see 74.6

https://twitter.com/50ShadesofVan/status/1462841889766481928

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

why is the expected rainfall so much less over the water? that red area between the two browns where you can see 74.6

all this climate change is giving me a red area between two browns!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

actionjackson posted:

probably the rain shadow of the mountains. the PNW gets a ton of rain because mountains around the area push all the incoming ocean air upwards and it condenses into rain to fall in front of the mountains (where everyone lives)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Water flowing overground

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

munce posted:

"Extreme weather is hitting both coasts.
'1 in 100-year storm' could drop 350 mm of rain on southwestern Newfoundland | CBC News"

This is the new formatting for denial in western countries.

"1 in 500" will just be yearly from now on, forever and ever

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

like 20 feet of snow

This will be the killing blow for Vancouver. The first ever atmospheric glacier.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/DaveCBS4/status/1302732889763840000
I love this map

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FREEZE
FIRE
SNOW
lamar

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bowser posted:

This will be the killing blow for Vancouver. The first ever atmospheric glacier.

The last polar vortex breach before the jet stream disintegrates entirely will be aimed squarely at Vancouver as a tropical atmospheric river screams up from Hawaii. What will come down is twenty feet of basketball sized hail and sleet. The shellshocked survivors will be written off as crisis actors and thrown in prison for perjury.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

:sickos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYaSxDqPZus

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

The Vinja Ninja posted:

This is the new formatting for denial in western countries.

"1 in 500" will just be yearly from now on, forever and ever

There are well over 100 different places in the usa, thousands actually. So really it makes sense that in total we get these like 10 times a year. Learn statistics noob.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Sep 7, 2022

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rime posted:

Thinkin' a local meetup in Vancouver in January, figure there should be additional tremendous content by then to LMAO over beers with.

Can I bring my kids? I think it would really add depth to the monthly anti-natalist debates to have one while my 5 year old is throwing sugar packets at my posting enemies.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
every subsequent year will be worse way cooler than this

Cloks has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Nov 25, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cloks posted:

every subsequent year will be worse than this

what are you talking about?

the first two years of the 2020s have eclipsed the 2010s in every way

the content is only going to be more amazing from here

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cloks posted:

every subsequent year will be worse than this

I consider the death of the human race to be a positive, so everything's looking great from my point of view!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Complications posted:

what are you talking about?

the first two years of the 2020s have eclipsed the 2010s in every way

the content is only going to be more amazing from here

thread soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl90ZByp4XY

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

A joint research team at the Division of Biotechnology, DGIST, confirmed that microplastics(MPs) ingested orally accumulate in the brain and act as neurotoxic substances.

Microglial phagocytosis of polystyrene microplastics results in immune alteration and apoptosis in vitro and in vivo

quote:

The team discovered that nano-plastics with the size of 2㎛ or less even passed through the 'blood-brain barrier' that prevents the brain uptake of hazardous substances. It was highly unusual to observe solids such as MPs, passed through the brain-blood-brain barrier.

quote:

Following differential treatment of PS-MPs in human microglial HMC-3 cells, we identified changes in cellular morphology, immune responses, and microglial apoptosis induced by phagocytosis of 0.2 and 2 μm PS-MPs. By analyzing the PS-MP-treated HMC-3 cell transcriptome, we showed that PS-MPs treatment altered the expression of clusters of immune response genes, immunoglobulins, and several related microRNAs. In addition, we confirmed alterations in microglial differentiation marker expression with the activation of NF-κB, pro-inflammatory cytokines and apoptotic markers in PS-MP-treated human microglial cells and in mouse brain. Our findings suggest a potential risk of small PS-MPs in microglial immune activation, which leads to microglial apoptosis in murine and human brains.

quote:

“The study shows that microplastics, especially microplastics with the size of 2 micrometers or less, start to be deposited in the brain even after short-term ingestion within seven days, resulting in apoptosis, and alterations in immune responses, and inflammatory responses," says study author Dr. Seong-Kyoon Choi."

I mean, OP from this morning is probably correct that Atmospheric Rivers won't be the cause of our demise in the west. Just as likely loving absurdly incorrect that the mountain of poo poo we've created isn't rapidly coming back to bite us in the rear end, tho. HTH, behold the Great Leveler.

We know Microplastics weakening the adhesive abilities of muscles.
We know they are impairing the cognitive ability of hermit crabs
We know they are causing aneurysms and reproductive changes in fish via disruption to the endocrine & hormone systems.
We know they can alter the shape of human lung cells.

Now we know they are going straight to the brain less than a week after ingestion and inducing immediate broad-spectrum neurotoxic effects.

We ingest an estimated 52,000 microplastic particles a year, depending on lifestyle.

Kick back, pop on that tune, and take a moment to consider the ramifications of this.

Rime has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Nov 25, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol i gotta admit even as a plastic doomer (even before it was cool, u can call me the plastic hipster), i gotta admit i didn't actually expect it to cross the bb. my doomer was more organ-accumulation and hormonal disruption leading to all kinds of gnarly goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gotta love the doom fractal. 2021 continues to deliver. :allears: