Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Congrats on your theft

I am a weirdo, I have no problem paying cash for a (physical) copy of something like Metroid, playing it on an emulator, and then selling it and deleting it when I'm done. I realize that from a legal point of view Nintendo might not care, but from a pragmatic point of view, to me this is more or less a wash, morally. Yea, I am not using their hardware, and I no longer own their hardware :shrug:

As for the rest of this, seems a little silly to be arguing about perf issues on something that's vaporware and has already been delayed once to Chip Shortage.

My gut take is that people who want the deck to mostly play AAA titles are gonna be not thrilled, and people like me that want a RetroArch box that also plays a substantial portion of my existing ~1000 title steam library will probably be mostly happy unless Valve completely screws the pooch.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You're going to hell for your game crimes, sorry.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The good news is that hell will only take 5-10 seconds longer to load from the SD card, though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

With how open valve has been so far with the deck I can't imagine them lying on these read speeds. Digital foundry or whoever will have a video up in a week testing games installed from SD cards in anticipation of the deck and those stats will be immediately compared to what valve published.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dramicus posted:

The good news is that hell will only take 5-10 seconds longer to load from the SD card, though.

Steam Deck: hell will only take 5-10 seconds longer to load from the SD card

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am a weirdo, I have no problem paying cash for a (physical) copy of something like Metroid, playing it on an emulator, and then selling it and deleting it when I'm done. I realize that from a legal point of view Nintendo might not care, but from a pragmatic point of view, to me this is more or less a wash, morally. Yea, I am not using their hardware, and I no longer own their hardware :shrug:

As for the rest of this, seems a little silly to be arguing about perf issues on something that's vaporware and has already been delayed once to Chip Shortage.

My gut take is that people who want the deck to mostly play AAA titles are gonna be not thrilled, and people like me that want a RetroArch box that also plays a substantial portion of my existing ~1000 title steam library will probably be mostly happy unless Valve completely screws the pooch.

You ain't a weirdo, emulators and roms own and so does stealing poo poo. No one cares that their hard drive with full console catalogs is completely illegal.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Initial load time and in-game load times, aka the best and only benchmarks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cabbages and Kings posted:

something that's vaporware

haven’t we seen video of the device in operation?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

We have and they’ve sent units out to devs.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

there is a twitter account that only posts games being played on the deck

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

there is a twitter account that only posts games being played on the deck

Do you have a link to that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sigher posted:

https://www.twitter.com/ondeck

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

sigher posted:

https://twitter.com/OnDeck?s=20

I still feel weird about that account though. Supposedly official, but also had a tweet soliciting devs with kits to contact them for videos. It was a strange one. I don't see it on the pinned one now though so maybe they removed it.

Edit: oh my, slay the spire has touch support apparently...

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1455628752428277761

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

I still feel weird about that account though. Supposedly official, but also had a tweet soliciting devs with kits to contact them for videos. It was a strange one. I don't see it on the pinned one now though so maybe they removed it.

It’s official. Note that it’s verified and followed back by Valve and Steam. Why even write “supposedly” here? And publicly asking devs to submit games was a quick and painless way to get permission to film games. That post is still up, just scrolled way down.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

JuffoWup posted:

Edit: oh my, slay the spire has touch support apparently...

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1455628752428277761

StS has been released on phones, switch, everything so yeah it has touch support

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are they likely to accept Steam credit to pay for this? I usually get some vouchers around Xmas, plus you can get discounted codes from some sites. I'm not sure if it would be different for hardware rather than software though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are they likely to accept Steam credit to pay for this? I usually get some vouchers around Xmas, plus you can get discounted codes from some sites. I'm not sure if it would be different for hardware rather than software though.

You can use Steam gift cards to pay for the Index and other hardware they’ve offered through Steam, it shouldn’t be any different here.

At least I hope it’s not. There was a sale on video game gift cards at Target last month and I stocked up on enough to pay for my Deck once it ships.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My friend recently traded in $400~ worth of poo poo to Gamestop store credit and bought a bunch of $50 Steam Giftcards and put some of it towards his deposit for a Steam Deck, pretty sure you'll be able to pay the rest of it off that way.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Samopsa posted:

StS has been released on phones, switch, everything so yeah it has touch support

This is probably the touch screen emulating a mouse, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Samopsa posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean the PC version of the game has touch support; Baldur's Gate is on Switch now and AFAIK doesn't have any controller support on Steam. Hell, it's on phones too and I'm pretty sure the Steam version doesn't have touch support either.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

StS for PC has a toudcscreen mode which hides/alters the cursor and changes most of the mouse behavior to be about clicks and drags instead of depending on a hover state.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The switch version of slay the spire technically has touch support, but it sucks. I tried to use it while recovering from hand surgery and unable to use my thumbs, it was not playable

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ja2ke posted:

StS for PC has a toudcscreen mode which hides/alters the cursor and changes most of the mouse behavior to be about clicks and drags instead of depending on a hover state.

I wish Dicey Dungeons would do this. You have to touch away from the 'end turn' button after using it or else your next turn gets skipped. It interprets your next touch as a click+drag starting from the last touched position, and that button triggers when pressed rather than released.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1466540742193545216

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675180/view/3122680206583792325

quote:

Hi, here's a quick Steam Deck update for you all -

We’ve recently completed our DV (Design Validation) manufacturing build of Steam Deck, and we'll be using these units for additional testing and developer kits. DV is the final prototype build before production, and it includes improvements from the EV2 build. After this build, there will be additional minor changes in the final product.

One of the main differences between these units and the previous (EV2) prototypes is that we are now testing our packaging design. So before we start sending these out to developers, we wanted to give you a sneak peek of the final packaging that customers will see in February.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It should just say "On the shitter" in every language.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dans le shittér

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

anatomi posted:

It should just say "On the shitter" in every language.

funnily enough that's exactly what this says in russian

edit: well, "in the bathroom/toilet"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

funnily enough that's exactly what this says in russian

edit: well, "in the bathroom/toilet"
"On the toilet" is what it says in all the languages.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, "sur le trône" is "On the toilet" in french. They know their target demographic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

As for me, im flugzeug.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Who's the bougie gently caress that's taking their Steam Deck on a loving submarine?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

Who's the bougie gently caress that's taking their Steam Deck on a loving submarine?

Someone in the navy I imagine.

We have at least two goons who are active duty navy on submarines.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hell, I'd imagine it would be a fun device to take to the ISS as well. Though, I don't remember hearing of even a switch making a ride up there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think they need a really good reason to take anything with a lithium battery up there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sort of surprised that’s not the case for submarines as well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sigher posted:

Videogames are for coke mules, too

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp since the deck has been delayed I ordered an Aya Neo, gonna be selling my 1165 win3 whenever it gets here if anyone’s interested.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I'm worries by the fact they aren't demoing AAA games

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Steam Deck was never going to be a great way to play modern AAA games, it's just not powerful enough. You're going to need a desktop to play that kind of stuff at 4k 144fps or whatever. But it'll play probably a good 75-85% of the Steam library pretty decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

e.pilot posted:

Welp since the deck has been delayed I ordered an Aya Neo, gonna be selling my 1165 win3 whenever it gets here if anyone’s interested.

I'll be curious to hear how the aya neo and the other portables do when the OS is switched to steamos 3 from windows 10/11.

Commander Keene posted:

The Steam Deck was never going to be a great way to play modern AAA games, it's just not powerful enough. You're going to need a desktop to play that kind of stuff at 4k 144fps or whatever. But it'll play probably a good 75-85% of the Steam library pretty decently.

Luckily, the steam deck plays at 720p, which should allow it to even run cyberpunk at a good framerate thanks to that low resolution. Remember that many games run quite well at 1080p with a radeon 6000 series card. And you are asking a similar chip to run at an even lower resolution.