Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

NoWake posted:

Yeah at 16 years old, I used a slur in casual convo discussing a safety switch on an outboard motor held open with device cobbled from some cardboard, some tape, and a penny. I repeated what I'd heard another dockhand say regarding the switch, but while talking to my boss. Who it could apply to.

His eyes went wide, and I stammered trying to bury what I'd just said with more words, but it was too late.

We never discussed it after, and I worked for him another two summers, but I for drat sure Xed it from my language bank from that day forward.

I grew up a sailor, worked in industrial parks, worked in construction, and now that i'm in white collar life I've had to uhh... un-learn a lot of words and expressions.
I can guess pretty much exactly what you said and it's taking me back and making me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

evil_bunnY posted:

It literally costs nothing to take someone aside and admit your mistake, and they'll think more of you for it.

So much this. I've been plenty guilty of using problematic words in the past, not from a place of malice but of ignorance. I'm always happy to be gently told that what I've said isn't acceptable. I try to do the same when I hear someone close to me use words I don't think are appropriate.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

When I hear someone using weird racist expressions, I'm usually willing to at least consider that they may just be repeating something they heard when they were younger without thinking about it.

Inventing or beginning to use a new racist expression in this day and age seems worse. (And its's not even a good fit for the acronym, so someone must have worked to force it to happen.)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Fascinating, I had no idea it was a slur (not that I can think of a time I've ever used it outside of talking about old movies).
https://now.org/blog/the-g-word-isnt-for-you-how-gypsy-erases-romani-women/

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

the spyder posted:

Fascinating, I had no idea it was a slur (not that I can think of a time I've ever used it outside of talking about old movies).
https://now.org/blog/the-g-word-isnt-for-you-how-gypsy-erases-romani-women/

I gather that in the US it is also used in a verb form? (Also mentioned in the comments in that article) to mean swindle/cheat which I had no idea about until I heard it used recently in some US media and it surprised and disappointed me.

In this particular lovely region of the UK the word “gyp” is commonly used as a noun to mean “pain” or “trouble” - and google seems to say that this has a completely different etymology to the US usage (and I hope it does, though I now worry)

Language is weird.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I gather that in the US it is also used in a verb form? (Also mentioned in the comments in that article) to mean swindle/cheat which I had no idea about until I heard it used recently in some US media and it surprised and disappointed me.

In this particular lovely region of the UK the word “gyp” is commonly used as a noun to mean “pain” or “trouble” - and google seems to say that this has a completely different etymology to the US usage (and I hope it does, though I now worry)

Language is weird.

Yeah, it does. As a kid I knew "gyp" meant "rip off or cheat" though I thought it was spelled "jip" and didn't realize it was derived from "gypsy." Though I knew of the Romani people I didn't encounter anyone of that group until much later in life. I learned of the shared etymology sometime in college and stopped using both words shortly afterwards.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

User Error posted:

I just ordered one and he sent me a personal email including 13 pictures of him weighing it, showing it off in the garden, and packing it on his work bench. A+ would buy weird bottle from weird excellent dude again.

Ah ha! This is the post that reminded me of Cliff last night and inspired me to order some Klein bottles. His replies and photos have been amazing! I ordered two bottles last night and just mentioned it in the Recent Purchases thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631953&pagenumber=973#post519507974

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Memento posted:

Friend of mine was telling me about doing inspections on contractors' vehicles going onto mine sites, they would often be hauling a trailer with whatever on it (tools, supplies, a backhoe etc). He said that probably two out of five had a shackle on their safety chain that wasn't rated. Often they would just be those tiny little d-shackles you get from fishing supply stores, but one time he got into an argument with a guy who was insisting his shackle was rated. Which it was. It was a screw-gate climbing carabiner rated to 250kg

I got into a significant argument with a manager in a previous job about rated shackles on trailers. They were convinced that the shackles fitted to the trailer had to match the Gross mass of said trailer.

I ended up throwing a 3.5T shackle onto his desk that he insisted needed to be fitted to a tip trailer and asking him whether i should oxy cut the holes in the towbar bigger or just wrap the chains around it. He just couldnt comprehend that shackles were lifting equipment and had a Working Load Limit and their breaking limit was actually about 10x higher than whats stamped on the drat thing!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, “gyp” is common but many (most?) don’t realize it comes from “gypsy”.

It doesn’t help that many Americans don’t know what Romani are and think “gypsy” are old timely mythical beings like leprechaun or yeti. Growing up my familiarity with the term was limited to my grandmother telling me to go to bed or “a gypsy would get me”, akin to the bogeyman.

So if you tell an American “hey, maybe don’t say that” you might have to explain a few additionals.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ulf posted:

Yeah, “gyp” is common but many (most?) don’t realize it comes from “gypsy”.

It doesn’t help that many Americans don’t know what Romani are and think “gypsy” are old timely mythical beings like leprechaun or yeti. Growing up my familiarity with the term was limited to my grandmother telling me to go to bed or “a gypsy would get me”, akin to the bogeyman.

So if you tell an American “hey, maybe don’t say that” you might have to explain a few additionals.

I went to school with some Stanleys. Yes, those Stanleys.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2230564/ takes place near where I grew up, and in the city my mom taught in.

I heard just about every slur against the Travelers and Romani growing up. I've struck then from my vocab. I do still say "Jerry Rig" which is anti-German. "Jury Rig" seems to be the PC version, except it doesn't work IMHO. Rigging a jury is actually really hard and requires skill.

NoWake posted:

Yeah at 16 years old, I used a slur in casual convo discussing a safety switch on an outboard motor held open with device cobbled from some cardboard, some tape, and a penny. I repeated what I'd heard another dockhand say regarding the switch, but while talking to my boss. Who it could apply to.

His eyes went wide, and I stammered trying to bury what I'd just said with more words, but it was too late.

We never discussed it after, and I worked for him another two summers, but I for drat sure Xed it from my language bank from that day forward.
Yeah... The OTHER version of my phrase above. I heard that a lot growing up, but it never entered my lexicon because my parents were very sensitive and aware of that sort of stuff. I've heard all sorts of great expressions on the water. My favorite was my old boss shouting "loving Bagel Barge" at a large pleasure boat that threw a huge wake while we were working in Boston harbor. (I'm Jewish by birth, which he knew). Cue his eyes going wide and stammering an apology. Whoops. I heard "Jew canoe" used the same way over the radio.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I once worked for an ambulance company with a significant number of Navajo employees. During the yearly safety stand down one of the medics gets up to talk about the importance of doing a thorough inspection of your equipment before you leave, as he had once found an inspection panel held on by only one fastener. To which he quipped "what drunk Indian did this?" To this day it is the most butthole clenching thing I've ever heard. Just wtf was he thinking saying some poo poo like that.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I went to school with some Stanleys. Yes, those Stanleys.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2230564/ takes place near where I grew up, and in the city my mom taught in.

I heard just about every slur against the Travelers and Romani growing up. I've struck then from my vocab. I do still say "Jerry Rig" which is anti-German. "Jury Rig" seems to be the PC version, except it doesn't work IMHO. Rigging a jury is actually really hard and requires skill.

Good news is "Jury rig" is not only the original term, but also it's nautical and either from the French word for day – as in temporary, only gonna last for a day – or the French word for "help". Not the courtroom body.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rigging

So in addition to being the polite phrase it's the correct one! :eng101:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Saving this for later. I may end up wiring the Opel more or less from scratch.

Same, but insert “RX-7” instead of Opel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I generally prefer "fabricobbled" or "tempermanent" as they both fit my general method of construction and aren't race based at all.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Working on the C10 that seems to be GMs view as well. I was wondering why the dash bezel didn’t fit and it turns out they need to be bent to fit the dash then run it down with screws.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I took this video of the door gaps on my 67, they're wild

https://youtu.be/eChgB9W_M2Q

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I generally prefer "fabricobbled" or "tempermanent" as they both fit my general method of construction and aren't race based at all.

I’ve used “fabricobbled” ever since I read it in your thread. It fits, and tickles my fancy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think I stole it from AvE years ago before he went mega chud. Not sure.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bennyfactor posted:

Good news is "Jury rig" is not only the original term, but also it's nautical and either from the French word for day – as in temporary, only gonna last for a day – or the French word for "help". Not the courtroom body.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rigging

So in addition to being the polite phrase it's the correct one! :eng101:

Cool. I'll try to switch my phrase then. I guess I'm one of the 10k today.

Thanks!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

I think I stole it from AvE years ago before he went mega chud. Not sure.

It does kinda bake my beans that he's invented some really useful turns of phrase. I mutter "cut towards your chum, not your thumb" to myself whenever I'm breaking down boxes.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

kastein posted:

I tend to blurt out "What crackhead designed/engineered/built/assembled/installed this?" usually while staring in disbelief at some sort of horrible nightmare. Not always something that's been done after the fact, either.

I guess the only people I can offend with that one are crackheads, and being a crack user is not a protected attribute under Australian law, so I think I'm safe for now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As someone who tried crack (once, a very, very long time ago), and knew a lot of actual crackheads back then, I am not offended in the least.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Having worked on a lot of mid 20th century GM stuff at this point I always exclaim when I see how something was designed and how it makes no sense until I remember they expected these things to be thrown away every few years and not have anyone try to rebuild the worn out bushings in the suspension.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

It does kinda bake my beans that he's invented some really useful turns of phrase. I mutter "cut towards your chum, not your thumb" to myself whenever I'm breaking down boxes.

I've always used "cut towards your buddy, not towards your body"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

BigPaddy posted:

Having worked on a lot of mid 20th century GM stuff at this point I always exclaim when I see how something was designed and how it makes no sense until I remember they expected these things to be thrown away every few years and not have anyone try to rebuild the worn out bushings in the suspension.

Im convinced that some Toyota mechanic was knobbing the lead engineers wife on the sly and he found out about it, and his slow revenge was to design some absolutely horrifying order of assembly parts as a revenge against all Toyota mechanics from that point onwards.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/0OJg83l.mp4

Sounds like it's got an exhaust leak

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

poo poo'll buff out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

Salvage title, needs body work. No tire kickers, no lowballs, I know what I got.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That has to be a biohazard car, right? Eww

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's just hail damage I don't know why they totaled it

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

That has to be a biohazard car, right? Eww

My father worked doing insurance evals on crash damaged cars. He quit it after they brought in an 80s Ford Capri 2.8i that had a fatality in the accident. He found a severed leg in the rear that the police had missed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

My father worked doing insurance evals on crash damaged cars. He quit it after they brought in an 80s Ford Capri 2.8i that had a fatality in the accident. He found a severed leg in the rear that the police had missed.

oh gently caress no.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"some drift damage"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

:stonk:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BigPaddy posted:

That ranks up there for "how the gently caress..." moments.

I mean, you'd think the topic of a missing leg would come up somewhere between the rescue crew to the morgue.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Powershift posted:

still costs 10k on used market rn.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
EDIT: eh joke didn't work

something something that's a lot of custom body work something cool alignment something

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m impressed it runs/drives at all.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

BigPaddy posted:

I worked as a flatbed driver for 6 months doing smash work when I needed a break from my very mentally intensive usual career.

The thing that sent me screaming back was picking up a single fatality vehicle involved in an accident that resulted in what can only be described as grated horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
It is very funny that jury rig is the proper term contextually.

Anyone who uses the, erm, alternate, is probably not a great person!