Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Xotl posted:

My brother in law has asked for some help. He's got a couple of kids--say 8 and early teens--and he wants a boardgame to play with the family to get them off screens. He has absolutely no boardgame experience, so after steering him away from Risk I got some criteria and are hoping you could help me get him some solid suggestions, because I know absolutely nothing on the current game scene past surface-level stuff like Catan and Dominion.

- Wants to be done in 2 hours or so
- Something tactile like minis preferred, not just cards. Grabs the kids' attention, hooks their mind to the game concept better.
- Relative simplicity is key. They're not a big gamer family, and the players aren't that old, so a simple surface that conceals long-term depth is good, but Eclipse is out.
- Wants a theme as a hook, instead of "move the most squiggles to gain the greatest number of points." Catan might be too thin here--leaning more Fury of Dracula-deal than abstracted Eurothing--but if the game is really good this is probably the weakest, most ignorable criteria.

Dad likes wizards and such but would probably go with anything. Even understanding that Talisman is an unpopular choice I was tempted to recommend it with a fast-levelling rule to get the play-time requirement in (yeah yeah, I know you don't like it) since it matches everything else, but there's got to be better-designed games that have come along since the 80s that scratch this very particular set of itches, no matter how fond I am of the old girl. I might wind up getting them the good modern game you recommend and Talisman and let them decide for themselves what sort of gamers they are.

Out of the games in the OP, the Mage Knight game seems intriguing. Would that work? If not, I'll take any suggestions and do the research. Thanks.

Echoing someone earlier that if tactile is important to you, Zombicide seems like a good rec. Excellent theme, lots of minis, and relatively straightforward mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FMguru posted:

King Of Dragon Pass is only a computer/mobile game (a very good one, that had a legendary LP here on Something Awful).

Dragon Pass was a boardgame published in the 1980s by Avalon Hill (and was a reprinting of the 1970s boardgame White Bear & Red Moon). It's been OOP for decades, although Chaosium is working on an updated version (release date TBA).

Both are set in the (extremely cool) fantasy world of Glorantha.

I've been getting into Glorantha these days and loving it, yeah. Hope they get that reprint going! (And that I don't miss it like all the Pax Pamir reprints)

I'd get the God War boardgame if it wasn't Sandy Petersen.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lawlicaust posted:

If they are just getting into games, I would avoid anything like Mage Knight or Fury of Dracula. I would recommend games that are much easier to learn even if they might grow out of them after a few months due to simplicity

I would start with a mix of the following:
-Azul
-Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
-Ticket to Ride
-Isle of Cats
-Sushi Go
-Stuffed Fables
-Wingspan
-Pandemic
-Parks
-Viticulture
-Sagrada
-Santorini
-Splendor
-Vindication
-Small World
-Forbidden Desert/Island/Sky
-Queendomino

Most of the above games are not my favorites or ones I would regularly choose to play but almost every game on the list is appropriate for new gamers especially ones that are 8. I have all of the above and those worked the best teaching my daughter to play.

I've played the bolded ones with my daughter when she was eight, except for Splendor, but I know she'd enjoy it. Isle of Cats we've only played the family mode of, but it's still fun. Forbidden Desert is definitely our favorite of the three. And all of those are games the adults have enjoyed also.

Lawlicaust posted:

Definitely hard mode Azul.

After playing a lot of Azul, my family prefers Calico. It’s not as approachable for new players but way more of an optimization and risk puzzle. It generally plays faster too. Calico comes out for all our family games but I would probably pull out Azul instead if playing with less experienced gamers.

Which sucks because you'd like it to be the opposite. We were disappointed when Calico was so much more difficult, we wanted it to be Azul but with cats... which luckily, Isle of Cats family mode kind of fits that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I've played the bolded ones with my daughter when she was eight, except for Splendor, but I know she'd enjoy it. Isle of Cats we've only played the family mode of, but it's still fun. Forbidden Desert is definitely our favorite of the three. And all of those are games the adults have enjoyed also.

Which sucks because you'd like it to be the opposite. We were disappointed when Calico was so much more difficult, we wanted it to be Azul but with cats... which luckily, Isle of Cats family mode kind of fits that.

Can I recommend Cascadia it's in the middle ground I think. Not as punishing as Calico but harder than Azul I think. Also it has bears.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xotl posted:

- Wants a theme as a hook, instead of "move the most squiggles to gain the greatest number of points." Catan might be too thin here--leaning more Fury of Dracula-deal than abstracted Eurothing--but if the game is really good this is probably the weakest, most ignorable criteria.

If you want Fury of Dracula lite, look at Whitehall Mystery.

It's a pure hidden movement game, and one of my favourite games. Jack the Ripper theme might not be great for the kids tho!

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Camel Up and Barenpark are pretty accessible and fun

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Aramoro posted:

Can I recommend Cascadia it's in the middle ground I think. Not as punishing as Calico but harder than Azul I think. Also it has bears.

Having played one (1) game of Casc, I like it but I do wish the auction for tiles was more interesting. For those who haven't played it, you take your pick of one of four paired tile and token. Then another tile and token gets added and the next person takes their pick. Repeat until you run out of tiles.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 24, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Having played one (1) game of Casc, I like it but I do wish the auction for tiles was more interesting. For those who haven't played it, you take your pick of one of four paired tile and token. Then another tile and token gets added and the next person takes their pick. Repeat until you run out of tiles.

Yeah I think it's a pretty straightforward game but, for me, there are more interesting choices in it than regular Azul and not as frustrating as Calico can be.

Drafting the tiles seems fine to me. I could see how some auction mechanism might be interesting but not sure how that would fit really.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wrath of the Lich King just got pushed back to Q1 2022 in Australia.

Big oof

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
A workmate who's only played Catan was asking me about shorter games, I was going to recommend Seven Wonders since they wanted to play with more people and have less waiting for turns - but is the new edition okay?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

A workmate who's only played Catan was asking me about shorter games, I was going to recommend Seven Wonders since they wanted to play with more people and have less waiting for turns - but is the new edition okay?
For fast, simple, and good it's hard to beat Kingdomino.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Thanks all for the recommendations: I really appreciate it. Lots to dig into!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Xotl posted:

Horrified is really fun and fits your description. Also, the Funkoverse games are better than you’d think and give them cool little figures they can move around the board.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

JoeRules posted:

MoM2e is app-driven, so it sounds like it fails the premise of getting the kids away from screens. Were it not for that same reason, I'd think Forgotten Waters could make for a great family game.

I was going to recommend Forgotten Waters despite the app. It’s really little more than an audiobook, so maybe it will serve as a good transition? Really hilarious game that I bet the tween will get a big kick out of. Some of the humor might be PG-13 so dunno if that’s okay for your younger. Could always read the text yourself and self-censor.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Xotl posted:

My brother in law has asked for some help. He's got a couple of kids--say 8 and early teens--and he wants a boardgame to play with the family to get them off screens. He has absolutely no boardgame experience, so after steering him away from Risk I got some criteria and are hoping you could help me get him some solid suggestions, because I know absolutely nothing on the current game scene past surface-level stuff like Catan and Dominion.

- Wants to be done in 2 hours or so
- Something tactile like minis preferred, not just cards. Grabs the kids' attention, hooks their mind to the game concept better.
- Relative simplicity is key. They're not a big gamer family, and the players aren't that old, so a simple surface that conceals long-term depth is good, but Eclipse is out.

Dad likes wizards and such but would probably go with anything. Even understanding that Talisman is an unpopular choice I was tempted to recommend it with a fast-levelling rule to get the play-time requirement in (yeah yeah, I know you don't like it) since it matches everything else, but there's got to be better-designed games that have come along since the 80s that scratch this very particular set of itches, no matter how fond I am of the old girl. I might wind up getting them the good modern game you recommend and Talisman and let them decide for themselves what sort of gamers they are.

Out of the games in the OP, the Mage Knight game seems intriguing. Would that work? If not, I'll take any suggestions and do the research. Thanks.

The games I’ve the most success with that age group:

Carcassonne (easy to learn, and fairly durable which is a plus at this age, kids are so hard on cards)
Potion Explosion (8 and under we play without potion effects, older kids we play the full game)
Cockroach Poker
Hogwarts Battle
Castle Panic
Horrified is a great choice and scales really well, just add more monsters
Unlock games
Machi Koro
Pandemic
Wits and Wagers

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Depending on what they end up liking about board games, Go is great for groups of kids (or adults) to learn together. It's easy to start with 9x9 and 13x13 games and there's a natural progression of move/countermove development that works really well when a group learns together over time. Plus the handicap system makes it a breeze to accommodate different skill levels!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Infinitum posted:

Wrath of the Lich King just got pushed back to Q1 2022 in Australia.

Big oof
If they keep pushing it like that it might release after WoW and Blizzard die.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SelenicMartian posted:

If they keep pushing it like that it might release after WoW and Blizzard die.

*hawkeye gif* Don't give me hope.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'd settle for Kotick

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Infinitum posted:

I'd settle for Kotick

He's gone they are just trying to find him a path out that makes him think it was his idea.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Get them Can't Stop and prepare them for a lifetime addiction to Craps

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Las Vegas is just something everyone likes and is always a hit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

It’s the best party / super lightweight game I’ve ever played.

Automatically goes in the bag if not traveling with/to board game people.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah even my 82 year old dad loved it. Always recommended!

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of go bags, what does everyone have in their travel gaming kits? Tis the season to refine them.

Mine is an old case for projector slides with:
Arboretum
Falling (inside the arboretum box)
Wits and Wagers
Maskmen
Shipwreck Arcana
Oriflamme (using the chips from wits and wagers)
Monopoly Deal

I'm probably going to swap out Monopoly Deal because it hasn't been as popular as I thought it would be with my family. They usually want to play Wits and Wagers. I've turned a lot of people on to Jaipur, so that will probably take the slot.

Codenames is getting long in the tooth, so I might replace it with Decrypto. Long term, I want to change out the whiteboards and markers from Wits and Wagers so they can also be used to play Telestrations and A Fake Artist Goes to New York.

I'm missing a legit "board game" in the box, but I haven't found something that will fit, I like and can teach quickly. I also don't have an agility game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Old Dun Cow posted:

I'm missing a legit "board game" in the box, but I haven't found something that will fit, I like and can teach quickly. I also don't have an agility game.

depending on your definition of legit, stuff from my collection providing outsized gameplay to containment size:

Intrigue (super mean)
Fleet
Mini Rails
Oh My Goods
Modern Art

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FulsomFrank posted:

Is it available anywhere in the US at the moment? I guess it would be easy to proxy if not, if the counts of the different dollar value cards are publicly available anywhere.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

armorer posted:

Is it available anywhere in the US at the moment? I guess it would be easy to proxy if not, if the counts of the different dollar value cards are publicly available anywhere.

just looked in the rulebook:

5 x 60, 70, 80, 90
6 x 10, 40, 50
8 x 20, 30

EDIT: also the expansion adds 5 x 100 as a module.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Old Dun Cow posted:

Speaking of go bags, what does everyone have in their travel gaming kits? Tis the season to refine them.

I have a long card case with the following in it:

Race for the Galaxy
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
The Resistance
Skull
Arboretum
The Crew
High Society
Lost Cities: Rivals
Hanabi
The Fox in the Forest
Battle Line
Battlecon
Air Land & Sea

Pretty great to keep in the car or travel with and covers a lot of bases.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

depending on your definition of legit, stuff from my collection providing outsized gameplay to containment size:

Intrigue (super mean)
Fleet
Mini Rails
Oh My Goods
Modern Art

Oh, Modern Art would be a great fit. I bet I could dump the blue chips from Wits and Wagers and use the Modern Art money.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Xotl posted:

Is Spirit Island too complicated for an 8yo? It's strongly thematic, and co-op.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s a bit tricky for me and I’m in my 30s

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I played recently with a friend and his 10 year old and the kid took to it really well, I was pretty impressed. The kid has been playing boardgames all his life though since his dad is a pretty avid boardgamer. 8 might be a bit young though, but I'm not sure really.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I played recently with a friend and his 10 year old and the kid took to it really well, I was pretty impressed. The kid has been playing boardgames all his life though since his dad is a pretty avid boardgamer. 8 might be a bit young though, but I'm not sure really.

My daughter is just now able to learn and play spirit island at 10. We tried at 8 but she just couldn’t get it. She’s been playing games since she was very young as well.

8-10 is a pretty tricky range to teach things complex. Kids develop differently but they are generally learning a lot of the logic reason and math skills they need at that age to play the more complex games. By 10-11 they generally have enough number sense and can think and control their impulses to pick up deep strategies. Before they get there they tend to make the easy decisions they understand each time.

I’d keep just about anything an 8 year old, even one used to games, plays to things with relatively straightforward rules and without a lot of longterm payoff strategy required. The logic required to play splendor or TTR or Azul is about where I’d draw the line on most kids in that range being able to play well. They can learn and play more complex games but they generally follow simple strategies every time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Old Dun Cow posted:

Love Letter, Sushi Go (not Party), Fake Artist, The Mind, Mint Works, Arboretum, Coup.

Arboretum is the biggest box in there and I'm thinking of cutting it for smaller stuff (despite it being the most game-y game of the set).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Old Dun Cow posted:

I bought a Kuggis Box for $5 from Ikea the other day for exactly this purpose!

Currently in the planning stages, but at the moment holds
- 6 Nimmt!
- Cockroach Poker
- Fugitive
- Hanabi
- No Thanks!
- Skip-bo
- Skull
- Uno Flip!

Looking into options for securing the decks, and it honestly might just be sandwich bags - Which would act as cushioning as well.
I'll get some straps to secure the lid and I'm good to go!

If I could find some small erasable markers and some small dry erase boards I might be able to sqqqqqquuuueeezzzee Just One inside as well.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Looking into options for securing the decks, and it honestly might just be sandwich bags - Which would act as cushioning as well.

If you use deck cases, I bet you can store the card-based games vertically. That would open up some extra space.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:chanpop:

Good thinking 99

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fate Accomplice posted:

just looked in the rulebook:

5 x 60, 70, 80, 90
6 x 10, 40, 50
8 x 20, 30

EDIT: also the expansion adds 5 x 100 as a module.

Thanks, so really just two decks of cards and a bunch of dice would be sufficient to proxy everything. Is there anything else to the expansion besides the 100k cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

armorer posted:

I used to see it sold on Amazon.ca all the time, often for quite low prices. I'm in Canuckistan so our online board game deals are very weak but even these were surprisingly robust. No clue about the US though, sorry.