Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

The Bloop posted:

This is my takeaway as well

agreed. I tried to get my wife to watch the miniseries in advance of watching the movie (she fuckin loved the movie) and she was bored fifteen minutes in. It's about pacing, and Villeneuve made some clutch fuckin choices when it comes to pacing in this movie. The bit with Chani saying "who will oppress our planet next" and smash cutting to Paul's gorgeous little white twink face in the first like, five minutes, fuckin GRABS you. It works in a way that an exposition dump doesn't. I feel like it calls to mind the last few centuries or so of desertcentric imperialist colonization we've dealt with in the real world. It fills in a lot of blanks with stuff we all already know, and accomplishes the same task as the original prose. It's amazing, quite Frankly(lol), to see a piece of Dune based media understand what the work is trying to say, instead of just seeing "lmao sandworms and knife fighting are cool", and in a way that gets that poo poo across to people who haven't read Herbert's books or hosed much with scifi in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cryptozoology posted:

"lmao sandworms and knife fighting are cool"

this is the central theme of the book though.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
I mean I'll agree that it's ONE OF them.

because , objectively, fremen and sandworms are cool as fuckkkkkkkk

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

- IIRC the movie doesnt mention spice being required for space travel, but to answer your question - FTL travel in Dune is possible without a navigator. They just cant navigate, and 1 in 10 ships disappear.
Where are you sourcing this number from?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
All great science fiction is built around a hunger to explore themes of cosmic scope, merged with an unapologetic love for monsters and explosions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(Solemnly) pew, pew lazer gun

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sebmojo posted:

(Solemnly) pew, pew lazer gun

Absolutely. Like The War of the Worlds' opening chapters are this mix of ponderings upon human destiny and heat rays SHREDDING the shops where the young H.G. Wells had been a retail wage slave.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It sounds like some of you read the lore in video games

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

I read all the halo novels as a kid. do not @me + do not recommend

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sebmojo posted:

I think the lack of constant big expo dumps makes it more accessible to non nerds, not less.

probably

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

On caladan there are entirely different environmental considerations for uniforms

On Caladan they use Titty Power :sonia:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like how they roll them up like it's a window of a canvas tent from the first Parent Trap

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

I like how they roll them up like it's a window of a canvas tent from the first Parent Trap

What an odd reference point for a common tent design

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Flakey posted:

That's cause Brian Eno fuckin' rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i love the story of him creating that, there were like 100 different things they wanted to evoke in 8 seconds

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kiimo posted:

Does that include the history page thing on Age of Empires 2?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Dune gives all the explanation of non-Navigator space travel that's necessary.

"To begin with, early space travel, although widespread, was largely unregulated, slow, and uncertain, and, before the Guild monopoly, was accomplished by a hodgepodge of methods."

Also someone should break off Frank's comma key.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mossyfisk posted:

Also someone should break off Frank's comma key.

I choose to believe that's a means of mirroring the stuttering, halting nature of pre-Guild space travel. Either that or his editor has passed out by that point.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Not knowing what everything is and why everything is happening isn't a problem unless you're a certain kind of person. That's anybody's first read of the book too, and probably second as well unless they also read outside sources.

it's a very common "type of person" you are talking about. the first book comes with a glossary for exactly that reason. i wouldn't call that an "outside source", it's literally included in the volume with the book itself and the whole reason it's in there is because the book is confusing and it's good to have explanations for what they are talking about

and im pretty sure they also handed out a little guidebook with various terms and backstory in theaters during the initial run of the Lynch version too

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I mean they excised any mention of the word mentat. They streamlined it as much as they reasonably could without justifiably pissing off fans. If they filed down the serial number any more it would be much much more generic. They didn’t elide anything that makes the story incomprehensible to newcomers, even if they can’t understand every detail.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

it's a very common "type of person" you are talking about.

Absolutely agree

Earwicker posted:

the first book comes with a glossary for exactly that reason.

True and most people wouldn't read it until AFTER they read the book the first time since it's in the back, at least in every version I've seen.

The info is good to have, but the story has to grab you without it or you'd never get far enough to care.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I'm here for the worms.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
first you get the credits... then you get the spice... then you get the fremen

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Earwicker posted:

it's a very common "type of person" you are talking about. the first book comes with a glossary for exactly that reason. i wouldn't call that an "outside source", it's literally included in the volume with the book itself and the whole reason it's in there is because the book is confusing and it's good to have explanations for what they are talking about

and im pretty sure they also handed out a little guidebook with various terms and backstory in theaters during the initial run of the Lynch version too

yes, they did. that's why they did it differently this time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Bloop posted:

True and most people wouldn't read it until AFTER they read the book the first time since it's in the back, at least in every version I've seen.

The info is good to have, but the story has to grab you without it or you'd never get far enough to care.

i dont about "most people" but personally i constantly flip to the glossary in every book that has one. same with maps and other extra info.

i mean they are pretty common in scifi/fantasy and usually listed in the table of contents up front. i dont think i've ever once read an entire book and then read the glossary afterwards. do most people really just ignore glossaries until finishing the story?

i have no idea what it would be like to experience the current movie without knowing anything beforehand. i saw the lynch version before i read the book, and i saw it at home on vhs so i didn't get one of the little guidebooks. instead i pestered my dad to explain poo poo until he made me read the book

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Earwicker posted:

i dont about "most people" but personally i constantly flip to the glossary in every book that has one. same with maps and other extra info.

i mean they are pretty common in scifi/fantasy and usually listed in the table of contents up front. i dont think i've ever once read an entire book and then read the glossary afterwards. do most people really just ignore glossaries until finishing the story?

i have no idea what it would be like to experience the current movie without knowing anything beforehand. i saw the lynch version before i read the book, and i saw it at home on vhs so i didn't get one of the little guidebooks. instead i pestered my dad to explain poo poo until he made me read the book

all the people who think it doesn't explain enough seem to already know the stuff they think it should have explained better

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sebmojo posted:

all the people who think it doesn't explain enough seem to already know the stuff they think it should have explained better

:confused: im not saying it doesn't explain enough

im saying people who like to know every detail of whats going on are fine, and its a common mentality and this is why the book and earlier versions of the movie provided that kind of information. i was not criticizing the current movie, as i said i have no idea what it would be like to experience it without knowing anything

the lynch movie was released at a time when you couldn't just look up what a bene gesserit is on your phone. it doesn't make as much sense to do that kind of thing now when the information is already readily available

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 25, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Personally unless there's active footnotes directing me further back into a book I don't go mucking about the back pages until I've read it.

Dune, for example, has things like Bene Gesserit Motives and Purposes, how spice is made, maker hooks, little makers, Alia, and a million other things that are quite obviously major spoilers to the story.

Some books, like Xenocide, put pronunciation guides and things like that at the beginning, which to me is suggesting they be read first, in the order presented. I feel like it's trusting the author to know when to tell you things. HHGttG puts footnotes all throughout, because it wants to to read them right away, for example.

That's how I see things, at least

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Earwicker posted:

:confused: im not saying it doesn't explain enough

im saying people who like to know every detail of whats going on are fine, and its a common mentality and this is why the book and earlier versions of the movie provided that kind of information. i was not criticizing the current movie, as i said i have no idea what it would be like to experience it without knowing anything

the lynch movie was released at a time when you couldn't just look up what a bene gesserit is on your phone. it doesn't make as much sense to do that kind of thing now when the information is already readily available

ah, sorry; i misunderstood.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
DUNC seems to just about perfectly split the difference between expecting prior knowledge of the material or not. If you don't know anything about Dune, it's still watchable and enjoyable as a movie (unless you just don't care for that style of movie, which is perfectly valid, but not really a fault of the film). If you do know the books, there are a bunch of little extra details that stand out or benefit from the added context. And if you watch it and have questions about the setting, good news, there's already an entire series of books that go into more depth than a movie ever could.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is it ever explained why Paul isn’t referred to as the next Padishah emperor? AFAIK he’s only ever referred to as Emperor, not Padishah. Did he in some way alter the legal relationship between his seat and the Landsraad or something?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

Is it ever explained why Paul isn’t referred to as the next Padishah emperor? AFAIK he’s only ever referred to as Emperor, not Padishah. Did he in some way alter the legal relationship between his seat and the Landsraad or something?

The Lisan al Gaib, Emperor Duke Mahdi Paul "Usul" Maud-dib Atredes, Kwisatz Haderach, just isn't into fancy titles.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Apparently Dune is going back to imax in the US on Dec 3, just in case you missed it the first time.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dune-returning-to-imax-as-pic-nears-100m-domestic-box-office-1234880218

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lmao that Harah's first husband -- before Jamis -- is just named Geoff. What an ex-husband name.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soul Dentist posted:

Lmao that Harah's first husband -- before Jamis -- is just named Geoff. What an ex-husband name.

I was a friend of Geoff. When I moved house that one time, he helped me and Strontar and Haghrodh get the fridge into the trailer but then had to leave to get his kid from school or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

I was a friend of Geoff. When I moved house that one time, he helped me and Strontar and Haghrodh get the fridge into the trailer but then had to leave to get his kid from school or something.

I was a friend of Geoff.

when I asked if he had a beer he said yeah mate go for it and there was only one in the cooler and I said are you sure and he said no it's fine go for it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://www.theonion.com/grown-man-refers-to-map-at-beginning-of-novel-to-find-o-1819576422

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bubblyblubber posted:

Extremely on brand for the book Sardaukar.

They especially fail at feline-based assassination plots.

Right? This has always been my read, the book 'says' they are this fuckin' awesome army, but the book 'shows' them to just be utter utter stooges. And my read was that, as you say, they're entirely reputation, but it's more than that. Selusa Secondus is a prison planet, and only the meanest of the mean get chosen to be murder-gently caress-death-machines at the Emperors every whim.

But like, why would they fight and die for him? There's gotta be some Missionaria Protectiva level groupthink going on there, where they actually

A) Think it a massive honour to fight and die for him
B) Give a poo poo about honour

And, this is a universe where, as mentioned, random planets have had religions planted there for thousands of years, just in case at some point in the future that's useful for a small group of people's plan. Like, these LONG term ruses are de rigueur. It makes sense that the whole Sardaukar mythos, end to end, is just another ruse.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Apparently Dune is going back to imax in the US on Dec 3, just in case you missed it the first time.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dune-returning-to-imax-as-pic-nears-100m-domestic-box-office-1234880218

I'd LOVE to see it at imax again, it was waaaaaaaaay better in imax. Super expensive though :(. Honestly, if you've only seen it on the reg, but really love it, I would go out of your way to catch an imax show while you can.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 25, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

What an odd reference point for a common tent design

It was important that people knew I was thinking of the Haley Mills tent not some millennial Lindsay Lohan garbage version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I know there's probably a real business reason behind the rerelease but I'd like to think the iMax deciders looked at the rest of the year's release slate and thought "wow all of that sucks. let's throw dune back on"

in any case I'm glad it's back since I missed it in iMax first time around. I only saw it in regular 2D, 4D smellovision, my big flat screen tv, my phone, my computer, my friend's TV, on a plane and in space so it'll be good to see it for real this time