Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My guess would be the full patchwork cloak didn't play well visually so that's why it's not in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My biggest problem with show-Perrin is that he kinda mope-whispers all of his lines. Hopefully that's just him being all sad and scared and such. Maybe it's just bias from Michael Kramer's Perrin voice in the audiobooks.

Thom's song was good but definitely felt kind of strange in the moment, given the expected role of a gleeman. But he's got a cool voice so hopefully we get to see some range on what he sings as they travel.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i think if they pull off the ensemble thing they're going for it will be amazing. Three episodes in and we've got everyone except Rand leaning comfortably into their Thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The one arm armored thing is just a pet peeve i have about armor in fantasy stuff. It's always so impractical and clearly part of costume design before anything else.

There's a reason that it never existed. There were better, and easier way to show rank and wealth. The full white outfits actually do that, because it means they possess the resources to clean and bleach that much white clothing, and also these guys don't do anything that would cause them to get dirty anyways.

That is a real plus GoT had, where the armor worn was based on real world armor, but the style was modified to make it more unique. Too many fantasy shows do this weird, completely silly and impractical looking armor, like the aforementioned Witcher. Nilfgaard had really cool High Gothic armor in the game, why not look at what people in the HRE wore?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The one arm armored thing is just a pet peeve i have about armor in fantasy stuff. It's always so impractical and clearly part of costume design before anything else.

There's a reason that it never existed. There were better, and easier way to show rank and wealth. The full white outfits actually do that, because it means they possess the resources to clean and bleach that much white clothing, and also these guys don't do anything that would cause them to get dirty anyways.

That is a real plus GoT had, where the armor worn was based on real world armor, but the style was modified to make it more unique. Too many fantasy shows do this weird, completely silly and impractical looking armor, like the aforementioned Witcher. Nilfgaard had really cool High Gothic armor in the game, why not look at what people in the HRE wore?

Wheel of Time is far closer to High Fantasy than Game of Thrones. The "real world" isn't Wheel World and after a decade or more of everything being as grim and muddy as possible, I'm fine with costumes that put Looks Rad above Real World Usefulness.

It's like complaining that the linen in Lord of The Rings didn't contain the exact ratio of flax to cotton to make it useful in a hobbit hole or whatever.

I like that WoT is unabashedly fantasy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

There's a reason that it never existed.

Pictured: the non-existent armour of fictional king Henry VIII of England.

Single pauldrons on armour, particularly show armour and jousting armour, have been a thing all the way back to Roman gladiators.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

Single pauldrons on armour, particularly show armour and jousting armour, have been a thing all the way back to Roman gladiators.

Give Whitecloaks codpieces of rank, you cowards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Sure, but a jousing pauldron like that makes sense in a suit of tournament armor. It doesn't make sense fastened onto a cloak. Nobody's jousting in cotton.

It's semi-defensible as a rank marker but it would've been far too expensive and cumbersome to justify as a real costume. It just makes sense on screen because it's highly visible on camera. TV logic.

Not a huge sin but I get why it sets people off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure, but a jousing pauldron like that makes sense in a suit of tournament armor. It doesn't make sense fastened onto a cloak. Nobody's jousting in cotton.

It's semi-defensible as a rank marker but it would've been far too expensive and cumbersome to justify as a real costume. It just makes sense on screen because it's highly visible on camera. TV logic.

Not a huge sin but I get why it sets people off.

Nah, single pauldrons were not uncommon in suits of half plate as well. And as I said, Roman gladiators often wore one as well. That was just the first picture of an actual period suit of armour that I could find.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WhItEcLoAk UnIfOrMs LoOk UnReAlIsTiC!

real life uniforms:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Nah, single pauldrons were not uncommon in suits of half plate as well. And as I said, Roman gladiators often wore one as well. That was just the first picture of an actual period suit of armour that I could find.

Gladiators sort of prove the point though -- gladiator outfits were often meant to be weird and showy and somewhat impractical; they were fighting as characters.

edit:

anyway, a more substantive critique

https://twitter.com/PerrinsNose/status/1463660351795380224?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 25, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gladiators sort of prove the point though -- gladiator outfits were often meant to be weird and showy and somewhat impractical; they were fighting as characters.

Yes, and we've already investigated the thought that this is show armour. Let's face it, if you're principally fighting women who can throw fireballs then as Terry Pratchett put it, the most you can say for wearing armour is that at least your ashes come foil wrapped.

Got to laugh at that tweet, by the way. It read like parody even before it got to describing Liandrin as "a really old woman". Kate Fleetwood was 48 at the time.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 25, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The Wheel of Time: Prancing man buns.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

edit:

anyway, a more substantive critique

https://twitter.com/PerrinsNose/status/1463660351795380224?s=20

lmao

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The white cloaks are a bunch of pompous fools who think that they alone can stand against the forces of darkness, and who will kill anyone who disagrees with their extreme views.
They are 100% the kind of people who would dress and look like the ones we see on the show.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

What Kinds of Weapons and Armor Did Gladiators Use?

Definitely never existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manica_(armguard)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerus

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 25, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

real life uniforms:

This is an attack on British culture

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

It's a show armor, basically metal bikini for men. Whitecloaks should follow gladiators example and go barechest instead of wrapping up, the cowards.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

This is an attack on British culture

If there is a culture that deserves the attack, well, that's a good choice...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Turin Turambar posted:

If there is a culture that deserves the attack, well, that's a good choice...

Don't worry; Britain's doing it's best to attack itself at the moment. It doesn't need the help, and it would resent it as being from Johnny Foreigner even if you tried.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

Don't worry; Britain's doing it's best to attack itself at the moment. It doesn't need the help, and it would resent it as being from Johnny Foreigner even if you tried.

What about a good natured ribbing from your Canadian brothers? A taking the piss from your Aussie siblings? It’s with love we promise… at least from us Canadians.

I don’t really like the one arm armour mainly as it looked kinda cheap with the gold and, especially, the white. The silver arm version looked fairly cool if backing up

twistedmentat posted:

The full white outfits actually do that, because it means they possess the resources to clean and bleach that much white clothing, and also these guys don't do anything that would cause them to get dirty anyways

I really like the Questioner/Inquisitior guy. I know he’s a bit moustache twirly but I thought he conveyed fanatical zeal with even just a few minutes in his introduction. A perfect way to bring the Whitecloaks into the story. I can’t wait to see the Dark One just munch on them. Weirdly the Whitecloaks were the one thing from WoT that made a lasting impression on young me. I remember reading about a character that was described as “he would do anything in the name of what he thought was right.” Young pre teen me was horrified at the thought of someone burning the world in the name of righteousness. It was my first time hearing that described and helped me recognise when I saw examples later on in real life. I know it probably seems pedestrian to most now but hit me hard back then so thanks WoT. Hoping it has a similar effect on young minds now as we live in interesting times.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

My guess would be the full patchwork cloak didn't play well visually so that's why it's not in

Thom Merrilin and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Cloak

Jedit posted:

Henry: "I want the codpiece to be larger"

Armorer: "But sire, it's already very large..."

Henry: [leans in closer] "larger..."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

*zot*

Sorry, misread the thread title and responded to something a little bit spoilery (if not specific enough to get mod about).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is every episode dropping midnight GMT / 7PM EST, or was that just for the premier?

I want need more episodes now

Burns
May 10, 2008

This just shows people love armor nerdery, heh. Still curious to see what they cook up for some of the other factions or kingdoms. The only other armor we do see is that of the Aiel which looks more or less spot on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burns posted:

This just shows people love armor nerdery, heh. Still curious to see what they cook up for some of the other factions or kingdoms. The only other armor we do see is that of the Aiel which looks more or less spot on.

The Aeil's armor also looks a lot more functional in it's design; which fits with the Aiel's entire deal. So the Whitecloaks having impractical, ornamental armor even in the field seems more like it's meant to characterize them specifically, rather than being indicative of what the show will do in general.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Its pretty functional if you spend all day putting hapless peasants to the sword and looking cute. Though some of the horrifying poo poo they get down to will be pretty :( to see

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shrike82 posted:

the casting's been pretty diverse so i wonder if they'll stick to that for shienar when we explore lan's backstory given how it's a japan stand-in

Based on the places they've visited so far (all small, isolated towns where nobody ever leaves), I've been assuming there will be no "pale, short Cairhienen" etc. and every place contains a huge variety of people. I kind of hope they fake us out on the borderlands: "What, just because Lan's actor is Asian, you think everyone in the samurai nation looks like him? Pretty hosed up, bro."

Also Lan is from Malkier, not Shienar :colbert:

Pleads posted:

Thom's song was good but definitely felt kind of strange in the moment, given the expected role of a gleeman. But he's got a cool voice so hopefully we get to see some range on what he sings as they travel.

I couldn't take him seriously, his singing sounded like the Metallica cover of "Turn the Page" or something. Maybe I'm just salty we're not gonna get flute, harp, and hammered dulcimer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

Yea, that's on a full set of plate, not on one of Henry VIII's slash and puff doublets. As was said, armoring a part more for protection makes sense if you know that part is going to bear the brunt of attack. Thats also why tourney helmets were so weird looking, because you were going to be leaning forward during the charge, but you'd need extra protection so wood spinters wouldn't end up in your eyes.

ChubbyChecker posted:

real life uniforms:

I don't think you read my post because I specifically said there are lots of funky looking historical clothing to draw from. Coldstream guard uniforms are the result of centuries of uniform evolution.

It isn't ruining the show, its just a pet peeve of mine with all fantasy stuff for like, ever.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I really like the Questioner/Inquisitior guy. I know he’s a bit moustache twirly but I thought he conveyed fanatical zeal with even just a few minutes in his introduction. A perfect way to bring the Whitecloaks into the story. I can’t wait to see the Dark One just munch on them. Weirdly the Whitecloaks were the one thing from WoT that made a lasting impression on young me. I remember reading about a character that was described as “he would do anything in the name of what he thought was right.” Young pre teen me was horrified at the thought of someone burning the world in the name of righteousness. It was my first time hearing that described and helped me recognise when I saw examples later on in real life. I know it probably seems pedestrian to most now but hit me hard back then so thanks WoT. Hoping it has a similar effect on young minds now as we live in interesting times.

Yea I do like their inclusion, these people who are fanatical that seek out non existent problems when there hasn't been a real problem in centuries. I'm sure when the Dark One actually sends his forces en mass they'll of wished they didn't kill so many Ael Sedai.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There's no quick-identifier of Questioners in the show that I missed, is there? They all seem to wear the same uniform and the pauldron just denotes rank.

In the books the regular Children have a golden sunburst and the Questioners have a sunburst with a red shepherd's crook, so they are immediately identifiable. Seems strange to remove a visual cue like that from a tv show adaptation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Trying to decide whether to stay up late and watch the ep tonight or get up early and watch it before work :thunkher:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rarity posted:

Trying to decide whether to stay up late and watch the ep tonight or get up early and watch it before work :thunkher:

Do both! :dance:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If it drops at 7 EST again that would be wonderful. gently caress Fridays.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pleads posted:

There's no quick-identifier of Questioners in the show that I missed, is there? They all seem to wear the same uniform and the pauldron just denotes rank.

In the books the regular Children have a golden sunburst and the Questioners have a sunburst with a red shepherd's crook, so they are immediately identifiable. Seems strange to remove a visual cue like that from a tv show adaptation.

I always thought they had kind of a patch/shoulder insignia, not like the whole front of their uniform was the insignia. In real life a decent sized patch would be easily readable, but on TV it might be hard to distinguish between the two.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oasx posted:

The white cloaks are a bunch of pompous fools who think that they alone can stand against the forces of darkness, and who will kill anyone who disagrees with their extreme views.
They are 100% the kind of people who would dress and look like the ones we see on the show.

They're fantasy proud boys basically. The costumes are only going to get more impractical and bombastic in this show though.

And I don't like what they did to Perrin.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

seaborgium posted:

I always thought they had kind of a patch/shoulder insignia, not like the whole front of their uniform was the insignia. In real life a decent sized patch would be easily readable, but on TV it might be hard to distinguish between the two.

Yeah I always read it as just something small on the chest. I figured with the contrast of gold and red it'd still come through on tv but maybe not. Just weird because throughout the entire series people see the shepherd's crook and get nervous, and now there's no way to tell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

IRQ posted:

I don't like what they did to Perrin.

I watched a few reaction videos on YouTube out of curiosity, and while I was mostly indifferent to the Perrin thing beforehand I'm firmly in the "I like it now" camp simply because the shock most of the people watching had at that moment is probably the single biggest hook the show had for a lot of folks and it'll serve as a way to drag people in emotionally, and give the series at least a few episodes to see what else it can do for them. Sure it's a change, but the character isn't really losing anything. The fact the actor playing him, Marcus Rutherford, seemed to identify it as a way for him to get into Perrin's mindset and see where he's coming from down the line helps too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The thing about the Whitecloaks is that their movement was absolutely founded on a indisputably correct idea, that the White Tower and many Aes Sedai misused their power for both personal and political reasons. The idea of an organization that fights the Dark but is not beholden to the Aes Sedai's political agenda is not intrinsically a bad idea. But given the ubiquitous nature of the Aes Sedai, who would join such an organization? And the answer, of course, is people who hate the Aes Sedai. It isn't hard to see how they go from "Some Aes Sedai are playing too much politics and using their power in ways that people don't understand, so we can't trust them in the way we used to," to "All Aes Sedai serve the Dark One." This also explains why one member of the Whitecloaks might hunt down and kill Aes Sedai, but another might suggest someone go to one for healing.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

IRQ posted:

They're fantasy proud boys basically. The costumes are only going to get more impractical and bombastic in this show though.

And I don't like what they did to Perrin.
Yeah. I came here to say this.

You guys are taking the white cloaks too seriously.

They do have a real army of significant size, but they spend most of their time as small groups or gangs. Going around like modern American extremist right wing militia cosplaying as real military/cops and going around “bringing the light” (terrorizing peasants).

Their outfits are very on brand. Style over substance.

They aren’t a threat to Aes Sedai in a head to head confrontation. As soon as a white cloak physically threatens the AS’s safety they can defend themselves with the power. But they can kill one with an arrow in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

The thing about the Whitecloaks is that their movement was absolutely founded on

Please remember we are in the No Book Spoilers thread. People here barely know anything about Aes Sedai and whitecloaks.