Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Discovery had a method to travel anywhere and fuel. The Federation was barely holding on to whatever little territory they had left.

Her discovering the black boxes had nothing to do with Discovery, they found most of them before Discovery even made it back to the future and the last one Book found with his ship on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

socialsecurity posted:

Her discovering the black boxes had nothing to do with Discovery, they found most of them before Discovery even made it back to the future and the last one Book found with his ship on his own.

Ehhhhh, kinda. Book found one, but iirc it was waaaay out the gently caress the other side of the galaxy and Discovery Spore Driving its way around was kinda necessary to get that one back to Starfleet and provide triangulation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Which begs the question of which crewmember is secretly the Doctor hiding out in starfleet? The obvious answer is Stamets, but I'm not sure. Tilly the 30 year old cadet is pretty sus.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m kinda sad Enterprise got canceled before they could do the Doctor Who crossover they had sorta planned at one point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Which begs the question of which crewmember is secretly the Doctor hiding out in starfleet? The obvious answer is Stamets, but I'm not sure. Tilly the 30 year old cadet is pretty sus.

He wasn't even hiding it; He was the EMH on Voyager! :pseudo:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ehhhhh, kinda. Book found one, but iirc it was waaaay out the gently caress the other side of the galaxy and Discovery Spore Driving its way around was kinda necessary to get that one back to Starfleet and provide triangulation.

Burnham figured out how to find the source of the burn by checking the black box on a random destroyed ship, something Starfleet did not think to do in the 120 years since the disaster.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

why don't they make the whole spaceship out of the same stuff as the black box?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was a labor camp of the organization he worked for at the start of the season so it couldn't of been too far away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Technowolf posted:

I have seen this and now must inflict in upon you lest I die in 7 days:

https://twitter.com/SpongeBob/status/1463525321437810693

Patrick-Janeway is the one that kills Tuvix. Spongebob Janeway is when she sails into the coffee nebula.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i really do not enjoy Janeward at all

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i thought regular janeway was scary enough

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard Season 3:

Probably a weapons locker over transporter maintenance in the transporter room. You can see the same layout of of chips around the tall central panel. TNG:

Picard S3:

TNG/TNG movies

Some other stuff...

Not bad but they're gotten a lot more interesting in dramatic diagonal angles in their design. And screens having bezels and being inset in stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 25, 2021

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Typical Pubbie posted:

Burnham figured out how to find the source of the burn by checking the black box on a random destroyed ship, something Starfleet did not think to do in the 120 years since the disaster.

They probably did investigate right after the Burn, but the black boxes of ships they could access were probably very close by such that the 'time code' read the exact same time.

Once the 'instantaneous galactic event' theory became common knowledge, there wasn't really an avenue to investigate... and what's left of the Federation had to focus on triaging disasters due to supply chain issues.

Not unreasonable for someone outside of conventional 'wisdom' to come and re-examine what really happened.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think a lot of the problems with the weird plot problems in S3 are entirely due to the century and a half of time between the Burn and the present day. If it was, like, a decade or two? 100% plausible that nobody had the time to investigate the cause of the Burn while they were recovering from something that would be as disastrous to them as electricity no longer working would be to us. Who would have the resources to research new FTL technologies when all the high-energy labs in the universe simultaneously blew up, taking out the brightest minds in their field with them? How could relations with former allies be maintained when everyone is still recovering from the greatest natural disaster the galaxy has ever seen?

I feel like Discovery’s writers had a really cool idea for a space apocalypse that they thought through fairly far, but then someone yelled “PEOPLE SHOULD THINK OF THE FEDERATION AND ITS IDEALS AS A DISTANT MEMORY” and everyone sighed and added a hundred years to the timeline.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It makes sense that the Kelpians refer to Saru as an honoured elder. I wonder what the Ba'ul think of him? Apparently everything worked out fine in the end, but the Ba'ul of history thought of kelpians as genocidal monsters and also cattle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Picard Season 3:

Probably a weapons locker over transporter maintenance in the transporter room. You can see the same layout of of chips around the tall central panel. TNG:

Picard S3:

TNG/TNG movies

Some other stuff...

Not bad but they're gotten a lot more interesting in dramatic diagonal angles in their design. And screens having bezels and being inset in stuff.

Christ it's so good having Drexler and the Okudas back :swoon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I appreciate Matalas ruthlessly dunking on all the bores on his Twitter timeline who are like "GUNS! In STAR TREK?! You have ruined my beloved show, sir!"

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1463557324610490377

A man after my own shitposting heart :allears:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

Picard Season 3:

Picard S3:

TNG/TNG movies

Some other stuff...

Nice Try Picard season 2, but you're not going to trick me into watching another season just because you hired someone for production and art design that actually gives a gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Nice Try Picard season 2, but you're not going to trick me into watching another season just because you hired someone for production and art design that actually gives a gently caress.

I mean the showrunner seems to legitimately give a gently caress and has a string of Good TV Shows under his belt compared to the last guy who had the job, and between Lower Decks and Prodigy Kurtzman seems to have figured out the secret of hiring people who can make Star Trek good for him instead of trying to do it himself, so... who knows? Can't get any worse, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Terry Matalas made one of the greatest TV shows dealing with time travel i’ve ever seen (Syfy’s 12 Monkeys), so i’m confident that Picard season 2 is gonna be significantly better than the first in many ways.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gonz posted:

so i’m confident that Picard season 2 is gonna be significantly better than the first in many ways.

Quoting this for future reference.

We shall see.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Dunno who in here might care about this, but:

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1463540260948742150?s=20

Looks like it's rolling out on P+ in the countries that have it, and on the Pluto TV app in the countries that don't

Lemme see what startrek.com says.

quote:

Where Paramount+ is available in Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Sweden, Uruguay, and Venezuela, the first two episodes will be available Friday, November 26, with new episodes being released weekly. We are also offering Star Trek fans in these markets a new membership promotion on Paramount+ for 50% off for the first three months with code STARTREK.*

In Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, Pluto TV, the leading free streaming television service, will drop new episodes at 9pm local time on the Pluto TV Sci-Fi channel each Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with a simulcast running on the Star Trek channel in Austria, Switzerland, and Germany. This will begin with the first two episodes on Friday, November 26.

In the UK, Germany, France, Russia, South Korea and additional select countries, we are also making Season 4 available for purchase on participating digital platforms beginning Friday, November 26.

We too are super fans of Star Trek and incredibly proud of Discovery. We promise to give this franchise and its loyal fans all the global love and visibility it deserves in our expanding universe on Paramount+.

Okay, that's far from all countries and even far from all European countries. Perhaps "additional select countries" includes the rest of Europe but I doubt it. What do they mean with "participating digital platforms"? Are they gonna put it back on Netflix for those countries?

For now I shall continue to assume I am hosed.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

imo they shoulda stuck with exploding rock consoles, building flamethrowers into the walls seems real dangerous

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean the showrunner seems to legitimately give a gently caress and has a string of Good TV Shows under his belt compared to the last guy who had the job, and between Lower Decks and Prodigy Kurtzman seems to have figured out the secret of hiring people who can make Star Trek good for him instead of trying to do it himself, so... who knows? Can't get any worse, right?

Finding out the writing wasn't done beforehand just like season one gives me low hopes for season 2 tbh. Especially after whole song-and-dance of "Writing a series BEFORE filming makes it work better? Who knew?! :shrug:"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Starfleet ran out of molten slag for their consoles shortly after all their dilithium went kablooey.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i wanted it to blink so bad at the end

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Okay, that's far from all countries and even far from all European countries. Perhaps "additional select countries" includes the rest of Europe but I doubt it. What do they mean with "participating digital platforms"? Are they gonna put it back on Netflix for those countries?

They're selling it in those countries standalone, probably on google play and iTunes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blastron posted:

I think a lot of the problems with the weird plot problems in S3 are entirely due to the century and a half of time between the Burn and the present day. If it was, like, a decade or two? 100% plausible that nobody had the time to investigate the cause of the Burn while they were recovering from something that would be as disastrous to them as electricity no longer working would be to us. Who would have the resources to research new FTL technologies when all the high-energy labs in the universe simultaneously blew up, taking out the brightest minds in their field with them? How could relations with former allies be maintained when everyone is still recovering from the greatest natural disaster the galaxy has ever seen?

I feel like Discovery’s writers had a really cool idea for a space apocalypse that they thought through fairly far, but then someone yelled “PEOPLE SHOULD THINK OF THE FEDERATION AND ITS IDEALS AS A DISTANT MEMORY” and everyone sighed and added a hundred years to the timeline.

S3 is if someone from William the Conquerer's army met President Obama and went "what the gently caress is up with your values?"

e: I actually think the century and a half from the Burn to 'present' was a good idea with lots of promise; in the Star Trek Universe that's long enough for it to be ancestral memory for many races including Humanity, but still bitter personal memory for a few Vulcans and Romulans and other long lived species around. There's a lot you can play with there, they just decided not to do anything with it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 25, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Star Trek Discovery: There's a lot you can play with there, they just decided not to do anything with it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

With this new episode of Discovery I'm sorry to say that, no, Modern Trek is not good again. 90% of it was a loving therapy session. If I wanted to watch a therapy session, I wouldn't be watching a science fiction series. Christ almighty what an rear end of an episode. I could rant about how much of it is so utterly stupid, boring, un-entertaining, and yawn-inducing but I don't think it's even close to worth the effort.

So instead I'll complain about this:

Saru opens the door to the Captain's quarters where she's busy holodecking. He takes 7 swagger steps. Michael doesn't move an inch, the camera does an orbit around them and pulls back, and the holo turns off.

Where the gently caress was that door? Where the gently caress is the wall that the door was connected to? If we used that doorway as a reference point, the camera isn't just in the hallway now, it's in the next room over.

That said, the gravity loss thing was funny when the computer said "now" and they all fell.
Also the graphic at the end of the episode was very pretty and I enjoyed it.

...but seriously, gently caress this show. How are we 4 seasons in and every loving crew member is still processing some form of depression.

Star Trek, everybody!

One last bite: Saru consistently being the magical advice alien is disturbing levels of poor writing.

Edit: OH WAIT IT GOT DUMBER SORRY HOLD ON

The holodeck program teleported them to the window after turning off. For no discernably good reason whatsoever. (It was actually because the scene was filmed on two separate sets.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 25, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The discovery crew should really just like go another 200 years into the future when the galaxy is all happy and good again, find a nice tropical beach planet and like just chill for a while.

And when ever Burnham even thinks about trying to save the universe again while they're there just lock her in her room with poo poo load of weed and reggae on repeat until she mellows.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I feel like the writing staff of Discovery lead lives that are just so very different from mine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

J33uk posted:

I feel like the writing staff of Discovery lead lives that are just so very different from mine.

... is your breakfast not lines of coke and a few bottles of energy drinks, are you not topping that off with a bag or so of shrooms for lunch, is your dinner not rum, coke, and depression?

like what mistakes did you even make in your life???

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

J33uk posted:

Your intuition is correct. I imagine they are much, much wealthier than you.

dr_rat posted:

... is your breakfast not lines of coke and a few bottles of energy drinks, are you not topping that off with a bag or so of shrooms for lunch, is your dinner not rum, coke, and depression?

like what mistakes did you even make in your life???

This makes them sound interesting, so I'm pretty sure it's not that

Hell, you just described Hunter S Thompson, certified Interesting Person

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

This makes them sound interesting, so I'm pretty sure it's not that

Hell, you just described Hunter S Thompson, certified Interesting Person

True. A Hunter Thompson episode of Deep Space Nine would of been a hell of a thing...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How an antigrav generator, that can diagnose a loss of function and predict when it comes back, has no failure mode to deal with it and dial it back in gradually, instead dropping people to the ground, that's certainly interesting future stuff.

G-III posted:

So we've seen the scale of book's ship next to the cast members... where do they fit the massive inner dimension full of turbolifts we saw at the end of season 3?

(easily one of the dumbest fuckin things I've ever seen on television in my 41 years)
Nevermind all the slack space around them.

--edit:
And they sure don't get scale right. The end shot zooming out, it goes from single planets to whole galaxies rather quickly.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 25, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stamets and Book in a buddy comedy spinoff

Anti grav scenes were neat.

You know who they should make Captain? Dr Culber. Dude is the best.

Ramadu posted:

imo they shoulda stuck with exploding rock consoles, building flamethrowers into the walls seems real dangerous

S5: molten rocks

lol

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Dissing the DIS, s4e2

News flash! it sucked, again. I will continue my watch

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Why was Michael using the Force to sense when the gravity waves were coming?