Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I want a variant with an awful spike and a looooong branch length

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

smoobles posted:

I want a variant with an awful spike and a looooong branch length

wanna gently caress dat virus

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Welp, my wife lost her sense of taste yesterday and the test came back positive today. She's pf/pf/no booster yet, I'm mod/mod/pf. I have no symptoms but uh, we sleep together so I'm operating on the assumption that I have it. I wasn't looking forward to Thanksgiving anyway so no big loss there and hopefully poo poo is mild.

We both mask up with n95s in public, distance, etc. No clue where it came from, probably touched a doorknob then rubbed her eye or something. Add another two to the statistics I guess.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tom Tix posted:

Welp, my wife lost her sense of taste yesterday and the test came back positive today. She's pf/pf/no booster yet, I'm mod/mod/pf. I have no symptoms but uh, we sleep together so I'm operating on the assumption that I have it. I wasn't looking forward to Thanksgiving anyway so no big loss there and hopefully poo poo is mild.

We both mask up with n95s in public, distance, etc. No clue where it came from, probably touched a doorknob then rubbed her eye or something. Add another two to the statistics I guess.

My partner and I were in basically the same situation, minus any form of boosters, but I managed to avoid passing it on despite sharing beds and living space so don't panic just yet. Loss of taste was the last symptom I developed so sounds like a good chance she's got a mild case.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is the covid loss of smell/taste complete?
As a smoker for 3 decades my buds are stone dead anyway except to fresh ginger/peppermint etc, but I still get the occasional hit like when burping up fizzy lemonade.
Losing that would really weird me out. I guess it would be an opportunity to live a couple of weeks on gruel porridge and Brussel sprouts.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
For me it was. That first whiff I had post recovery (of roast lamb after a couple of weeks of nothing) was so exciting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So far so good in terms of not feeling too bad from the booster shot, but it's only been about 4 hours. I also took aspirin and acetaminophen about two hours after the shot to try to head off feeling too bad since I am working today.

In other news, this except with vaccines:

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

didn't read thread, posting covid anecdote into the void:

got the j&j vaccine back in the spring and then a moderna booster last week, way too late in general and also specifically, because 3 days later i tested positive on a home test.

main symptoms were coughing and fatigue, as well as sudden brain zaps of vertigo or dizziness, almost like using nitrous oxide recreationally. i've been using a blood oxymeter and it doesn't correlate with measurable decreases in blood oxygen, so i'm not too worried about it. i've also been having vivid, detailed dreams, but i'll spare you the details

i got injections of antibodies this morning and then crashed hard for 6 hours. people i've talked to who have gotten them felt drastically better a day or two later, so i'm hopeful

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

sauer kraut posted:

Is the covid loss of smell/taste complete?
As a smoker for 3 decades my buds are stone dead anyway except to fresh ginger/peppermint etc, but I still get the occasional hit like when burping up fizzy lemonade.
Losing that would really weird me out. I guess it would be an opportunity to live a couple of weeks on gruel porridge and Brussel sprouts.

housemate had near-total loss, the last thing to go and first to come back was "bitter"

cayenne pepper still works because that's not technically taste. not sure about ginger

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How did you go about getting the antibody therapy?

Did your primary care physician refer you or what?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Platystemon posted:

How did you go about getting the antibody therapy?

Did your primary care physician refer you or what?

yeah, i got a referral to the local hospital from a primary care doctor, they administered it to me in the ER

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trip report - coming up on about 8 hours since my Moderna booster and starting to feel flu-like symptoms. Hopefully this doesn't get as bad as shots 1 and 2 did for me since it's half the dose.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Tom Tix posted:

Do you dine in restaurants in public or attend other public events or work where you are along the same people for multiple hours?

What N95s are you using? How old are they? Do you fit test each time you put them on?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Woodsy Owl posted:

Do you dine in restaurants in public or attend other public events or work where you are along the same people for multiple hours?

What N95s are you using? How old are they? Do you fit test each time you put them on?

This sounds weirdly victim-blamey, fwiw.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
SWM 37, 5'11, blonde, mod/mod/pfi seeking BBW

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

After two doses of AZ earlier in the year i got my Pfizer booster a few hours ago, other than a slight niggle at the injection site nothing to report. :shrug:

22 hours later; feeling very washed out (much like my previous AZ experience), jab site tender.... it's doing its job. :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

13 hours out from Moderna booster, feel like poo poo. Yay. I had nasty side effects from shots 1 and 2 so at least it's not completely surprising.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

T+19 hours from my moderna booster and about 3 hours ago I woke up with a leg cramp that locked both of my legs from the ankle to quad, which is how the brunt of my side effects started last time, too. Real achy and restless, but I'm not shivering or having cold flashes or puking like moderna #2.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Think I may be the thread test subject for double dose AZ and then probably moderna booster tomorrow. Had my AZ two weeks before they stopped giving it to my age group because carer and one of the first people to get the jabs.

I'm super late on the booster because our government forgot that they had done both paid and unpaid carers first and should probably re-jab us asap.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

13 hours out from Moderna booster, feel like poo poo. Yay. I had nasty side effects from shots 1 and 2 so at least it's not completely surprising.

Yeah I was going to reply earlier and forgot. Just because it's a half dose doesn't mean it's not gonna wreck you just as much. Bodies are weird! My wife and I got our Moderna boosters on a Tuesday and I totally don't recommend that and try to work the next day. Next inevitable booster, we'll be doing it on a Friday...

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm getting boosted on Cyber Monday :tinfoil:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Peggy Edson posted:

I'm getting boosted on Cyber Monday :tinfoil:

Buenos suertes amigo. My girlfriend told me that she had a rather insane customer tell her about how the vaccine was 'part baby, and part octopus, and if you take it, you become both! :tinfoil:", so I gotta warn you up front, that octopus has got some kick. Put me down for two days, and was way worse than the 2nd shot.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1463846542264131584?t=y8xAbn6HaadQ2x5g-G4z6g&s=19

This is the new variant with shitloads of mutations. Appears to be outcompeting Delta, is almost certainly better at evading antibodies than Delta, no word yet on if it causes more or less serious disease.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This sounds weirdly victim-blamey, fwiw.

The concept of victim blaming is pretty specific to sex crimes and this is diluting it a lot.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Buenos suertes amigo. My girlfriend told me that she had a rather insane customer tell her about how the vaccine was 'part baby, and part octopus, and if you take it, you become both! :tinfoil:", so I gotta warn you up front, that octopus has got some kick. Put me down for two days, and was way worse than the 2nd shot.

I wish I were a sweet baby octopus :lovebird:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Salt Fish posted:

The concept of victim blaming is pretty specific to sex crimes and this is diluting it a lot.

While the concept is often applied to sex crimes, it was originally used to describe racial inequity, and is still often applied to any type of crime or wrongdoing.

Irrespective of that, Woodsy Owl's questions definitely came across as combative and very much seemed like they were intended to ferret out what Tom and his family did wrong that resulted in infection. It sounded much more like an accusation of unsafe behavior than a good faith question.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Castaign posted:

It sounded much more like an accusation of unsafe behavior than a good faith question.

Yeah this.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1463846542264131584?t=y8xAbn6HaadQ2x5g-G4z6g&s=19

This is the new variant with shitloads of mutations. Appears to be outcompeting Delta, is almost certainly better at evading antibodies than Delta, no word yet on if it causes more or less serious disease.

This one might be a bigger deal then delta. As in, "current vaccines no longer work" and the "pandemic restarts from zero", except there's no longer any political or public will for the latter.

The peak is nearly vertical. Fingers crossed to breaking this causes milder disease.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
People are trying to squeeze information out of those who get infected so that they can put together an impossibly complex puzzle that explains how they can protect themselves and their loved ones. I think its fair to say that you can imagine a forgivable context around why they're asking this stuff. Victim blaming is bad because it deflects blame away from criminals but the virus doesn't have agency, so its a bit different. Its a force of nature. We've been abandoned by the government and all we can do is look around desperately and try to assemble some kind of tool kit that lets us avoid becoming part of a pandemic statistic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How much does the wife weigh

List those comorbs

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Salt Fish posted:

People are trying to squeeze information out of those who get infected so that they can put together an impossibly complex puzzle that explains how they can protect themselves and their loved ones. I think its fair to say that you can imagine a forgivable context around why they're asking this stuff. Victim blaming is bad because it deflects blame away from criminals but the virus doesn't have agency, so its a bit different. Its a force of nature. We've been abandoned by the government and all we can do is look around desperately and try to assemble some kind of tool kit that lets us avoid becoming part of a pandemic statistic.

I can definitely imagine a reasonable context for asking about precautions; I'm just noting that Owl came across as accusatory. I may have misinterpreted though.

Victim blaming in this case also seems to feed into a faulty "just world" philosophy; I think people want to point fingers at others perceived lack of caution in order to reassure themselves that they personally are safe (since they didn't make those same mistakes). That's fine I guess, but it seems a little unfair to Tom and his wife.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Salt Fish posted:

Yeh so someone in this thread gave me a lovely victim blaming avatar and red text because I caught Covid twice while wearing N95 because I was doing care work for young adults with learning disabilities for about 18 hours a day 7 days a week during 2020 - My first day off was June 2021 after I quit. So that gift was sure appreciated

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Castaign posted:

I can definitely imagine a reasonable context for asking about precautions; I'm just noting that Owl came across as accusatory. I may have misinterpreted though.

Victim blaming in this case also seems to feed into a faulty "just world" philosophy; I think people want to point fingers at others perceived lack of caution in order to reassure themselves that they personally are safe (since they didn't make those same mistakes). That's fine I guess, but it seems a little unfair to Tom and his wife.

There's also an element of what Tom Wolfe was talking about in The Right Stuff, where test pilots would always spend the funerals of their peers discussing where they'd gone wrong - which in some contexts can be healthy, but in this one was very much "...and that's why *I* won't end up dying like that - I have the Right Stuff and the guy in the coffin didn't". While not accusing any one poster here (or in the other threads) of doing so, there's a definite edge to the way some people talk about their PPE (or rather how they talk about other people's PPE or lack thereof).

It's a coping mechanism, humans are extremely bad at contemplating their own mortality and the risks thereof, and that's why society split very quickly into doorknob-lickers and NBC-suit-wearers (and why a lot of people, myself definitely included, flick between the two camps).

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Was asking to pacify my own paranoia and worry.

We also wear N95s in public 100% of the time and are fully vaxxed. We also don't eat out at restaurants, nor are we in public. So it is terrifying to hear when someone has the same behavior as us but still caught COVID. So I am hoping that our behavior deviates in some way, so I can delude myself into feeling not to worried.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 25, 2021

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Woodsy Owl posted:

Was asking to pacify my own paranoia and worry.

We also wear N95s in public 100% of the time and are fully vaxxed. We also don't eat out at restaurants, nor are we in public. So it is terrifying to hear when someone has the same behavior as us but still caught COVID. So I am hoping that our behavior deviates in some way, so I can delude myself into feeling not to worried.

Totally understandable, and I apologize for the tone policing.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Tom Tix posted:

I should have lead with this but: please keep us posted on how you both are doing. I think many goons are in the exact same spot (fully vaxxed, diligent mask wearing) and the paranoid ones are probably watching closely like me. Hope your wife has a quick recovery! Thanksgiving Leftovers are better anyway!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Sure hope this variant doesn't leverage Thanksgiving gatherings to go loving bananas all over the place!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

withak posted:

Sure hope this variant doesn't leverage Thanksgiving gatherings to go loving bananas all over the place!

Does the variant exist in the US yet? It’s like the only country to celebrate Thanksgiving

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

withak posted:

Famous South African holiday Thanksgiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

lol