Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Piell posted:

WIBTA for eating with my friend rather than my family for Thanksgiving?

quote:

Every Thanksgiving, my parents usually invite my aunts and uncles and their friends for the dinner. My siblings (6,10,13) and I (18) are never allowed to eat with the grownups, we’d have to stay in our rooms until the grownups either leave or go to sleep if they’re staying over. We’d get the leftovers and tbh it’s kinda boring

Goddamn, OP's family sounds like poo poo. Go eat with your friend and be treated like a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Piell posted:

My siblings (6,10,13) and I (18) are never allowed to eat with the grownups, we’d have to stay in our rooms until the grownups either leave or go to sleep if they’re staying over. We’d get the leftovers and tbh it’s kinda boring
Sounds like OP's parents are NOT thankful for their children's existence.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making the food too spicy on purpose?

Wait so you're telling me it's not smart to treat internet memes as undisputed fact?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Human Tornada posted:

Wait so you're telling me it's not smart to treat internet memes as undisputed fact?

white people loving bland food has been a thing far longer than the internet

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Piell posted:

Read enough of this thread to be able to safely conclude that the reason all of the kids have to stay locked up in their rooms until everyone leaves is Thanksgiving is avtually a freaky as hell swingers party their parents are hosting

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, it’s not just the turkey getting stuffed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lone Goat posted:

white people loving bland food has been a thing far longer than the internet

Counterpoint: white people have committed innumerable crimes against humanity to get access to spices

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The true depravity of the British is that they colonized a quarter of the world just to get spices and refuse to use any of them.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tbf that wasn't always true. Traditional rich people British food was spiced like a Christmas cake, to the point where some of the recipes we have are obviously more about showing off all the spices you could afford than any kind of tasteful moderation. The Victorians started the path to blandness, but it was the world wars and rationing that really killed it off.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Tbf that wasn't always true. Traditional rich people British food was spiced like a Christmas cake, to the point where some of the recipes we have are obviously more about showing off all the spices you could afford than any kind of tasteful moderation. The Victorians started the path to blandness, but it was the world wars and rationing that really killed it off.

Rationing was the big affect there. But at the same time Tikka Masala is a national dish, invented in the UK. The use of spice in trad british cooking is not to make it hot, so you'll see a lot of nutmeg, cloves, mace etc getting used.

I think lots of people conflate using spice with spicy meaning hot. And yeah a rib roast is not going to be spicy.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Probably talking out my arse but I think it's an understandable thing - the majority of overtly spiced food that is of America comes from South-Western and Louisianan tradition, so that becomes the 'standard' spice palettes people compare against?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making the food too spicy on purpose?

the best variants of these stories involve workplace lunch thieves who steal people's lunches and then complain to hr about whoever they stole it from when after spending the night in the bathroom with lava diarrhea

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hosed up that The Blitz took clove and sewer eel pie from us

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The_Franz posted:

the best variants of these stories involve workplace lunch thieves who steal people's lunches and then complain to hr about whoever they stole it from when after spending the night in the bathroom with lava diarrhea

Don't gently caress with other people's food goes both ways.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Are there any hot peppers or anything native to Europe? It seems like most spicy food requires serious hot peppers that weren't going to be widely available to white people until they started colonizing everything, but I might be totally wrong.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for yelling "no no no" during my partner's zoom meeting

quote:

This morning (Thanksgiving in the US) my alarm went off at 7:45am. I turned it off and fell back into a deep sleep.

Around 8:30am my partner got invited to an important work meeting (their company is UK based). While they were not working today, they decided to attend because they were already awake. They took this meeting in bed because they didn't have time to get dressed. In the past they have taken meetings in bed and asked if I was okay with it beforehand. I have never had a problem with it. I am normally the first person awake. I sometimes encourage the dogs to play loudly while my partner is still asleep.

At 8:45am I am awoken from a deep sleep by them talking. I was super confused, slightly terrified and made some kind of noise followed by loudly saying "no no no no no" when they kept talking. I vaguely remember covering my ears. My heart was also pounding. My partner moved to the bathroom where I could still hear them and I started to get angry at being rudely awakened.

My partners point of view - I have never said no to them taking a meeting in bed and they did not anticipate talking during this meeting. Towards the end there was a point where the CEO asked them a direct question. When they started to respond I started yelling loudly which caused them to get very flustered and feel super embarrassed. The CEO had to ask them to repeat themselves because "we couldn't hear you over the other person"

My partner is not upset at me for being flustered and scared but they are upset that I "loudly yelled" "no no no no no" and that I will not apologize for embarrassing them. While I feel bad, I don't believe I did anything wrong because I had no control over my reaction at the time. AITA for yelling during their meeting and not apologizing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cool Dad posted:

Are there any hot peppers or anything native to Europe? It seems like most spicy food requires serious hot peppers that weren't going to be widely available to white people until they started colonizing everything, but I might be totally wrong.

Nope. It's a colonizer thing, if you think chilies are common in Spanish food, but things like nutmeg is ubiquitous in British food for reasons that I'm sure you can imagine.

It's just a trend thing really. Spicy food is seen as being better than non-spicy food for various reasons.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People also tend to think of spices as spicy and not literally anything on the spice rack.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cool Dad posted:

Chili peppers are South American, hell even black pepper is Indian. There are some native European spices like garlic mustard that were in heavy use and have just kinda fallen out of fashion since transatlantic trade brought flavorings that don't kinda taste like they've been pissed on, but nothing you'd really call "spicy"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
English being confusing as usual.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Piell posted:

Why anyone would care about some minor interruption on a zoom call for more than 30 seconds is beyond me. Why are they embarrassed? This story makes no sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm not crazy about too much heat because it mutes out all my other flavors, but I love spices. Cloves, garam masala, loads of garlic, yes.

Horseradish, on the other hand, is welcome to destroy my sinuses. I love that rush.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Are herbs spices? Cause there's a ton of common herbs native to the Mediterranean

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

That story makes zero sense. I’m assuming their camera was off because they’re lying in bed, but if the camera is off why not go to another room? If your camera is off why does it matter if you’re dressed or not?? And if their camera was on what the hell business is this???

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

camoseven posted:

Are herbs spices? Cause there's a ton of common herbs native to the Mediterranean

What do you think?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I pissed off my best friend by leaving his wedding early

quote:

I (40s, m) have known my best friend Carl (50s, m) for decades. Just before covid he recently had a medium sized wedding a few hours out of town, and I was very happy to be invited.

I have a moderate amount of social anxiety, which Carl has known about since we've known each other. When I arrived at the wedding, I was a little surprised that other than the best man, none of our mutual friends were invited. Only his childhood friends that I had barely met.

Luckily for me, Carl had thoughtfully put me at the same table as his other friends and told one of his friends Roger to take me under his wing and look out for me. It was surely appreciated.

The service was great, but when I went to go to my assigned seat, a woman from another table had moved me to a table with a bunch of grandparents and people who did not speak english. I tried to politely mention this to her and Roger who brushed me aside and basically said it was no big deal.

My anxiety kicked in, and I paniced. I did not want to create a scene or take away from their fun, so I told Carl that my neck was very sore and spasming from the drive and left. This was true and is a side effect from degenerative disc disease, but I would have gladly suffered through the pain to be at the wedding.

Carl apparently took great offence to this, and has since stopped talking to me. I feel so badly about what happened, and regret not just sitting at the grandma table and suffering through my anxiety.

Were my actions that horrible, and is there any possibility of recovering from this?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Piell posted:

Anyone who works on their day off - "sitting in" on meetings included - can get hosed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm guessing that the other end of the call doesn't know he's in bed and it's pretty hard to explain someone suddenly yelling "no no no no" without saying they had a nightmare waking up or whatever.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Just say your partner was yelling at the dog, fuckin poo poo how are so many people so bad at people!!!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Why anyone would care about some minor interruption on a zoom call for more than 30 seconds is beyond me. Why are they embarrassed? This story makes no sense.
This sad gently caress joined a meeting at 8:30am on their day off lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Spatial posted:

This sad gently caress joined a meeting at 8:30am on their day off lol

I'm just in bed with my romantic partner, on a nice quiet day to ourselves. Perfect for a monotonous business discussion.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

quote:

AITA for telling my wife it would be controlling and inappropriate for her to try and change how my family does Christmas?

My wife and I rotate who we spend Christmas with, so one year her family and one year my family. I don't love doing it with her family, and she isn't a big fan of my mother (please don't tell us to do it as a nuclear family we both hate that idea) Our families are pretty different.

Her family is much more about the kids. Even the dinner is tailored more to what kids like (bland in my opinion, but I would never say that), the kids each get 1000 gifts and spend Christmas running around my MIL house, making a huge ruckus.

Christmas with my family is amazing food, though we usually have to pack our toddler her own meal, a more relaxed atmosphere, and my mom doesn't get any of her grandkids gifts. I don't know her exact reasoning. She says that only the nuclear families should buy gifts, though she does get me and my two sisters something but gives it to us about a week in advance. my kids don't know that she does that. My mom encourages the kids to play in another room so the adults can talk, but me and my wife put our foot down because these kids are just too young. To be clear we exchange gifts at home before going, my wife just finds it really weird that no one in the family buys for other people kids. It has nothing to do with my mom being frugal or anti-materialism. My mom and stepdad go all out for each other.

Anyway it is our year to do Christmas with my side, and my wife came to me and proposed suggesting to the family that we only buy for kids and make Christmas more "kid friendly" I told her she really has no right to tell my mom how to spend her money and that would not go over well with my very childfree sister (other sister has kids as well) She said she feels that Christmas is supposed to be this magical time for the kids, and my mom and stepdad, and childfree sister and BIL have their anniversaries, birthdays, and valentines to spoil each other. she said she just really hates how much Christmas is about the adults in my family and it makes her sad.

I said her points are totally valid, but it would be controlling and inappropriate to try and change how my family has always done things, and she would definitely offend my mom. She said I'm putting my mom's feelings ahead of hers and she just wants to bring it up and she doesn't like that I used the word controlling
Note: OP says the kids are 7, 5 and 3

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Solenna posted:

Note: OP says the kids are 7, 5 and 3

As someone who hates the holidays and doesn't like being around children I feel confident in saying this dude's family is loving weird. What kind of grandmother refuses to buy gifts for their grandkids and doesn't want them there? Also lol at immediately making his wife the bad guy for even suggesting they change things a little bit. She needs to realize this dude's mom will ALWAYS be more important then his wife. They need to divorce so he can be childfree like his mom so clearly wants.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Aramoro posted:

Nope. It's a colonizer thing, if you think chilies are common in Spanish food, but things like nutmeg is ubiquitous in British food for reasons that I'm sure you can imagine.

It's just a trend thing really. Spicy food is seen as being better than non-spicy food for various reasons.

European cooking has used pepper and pepper-like spices for ages - the Romans used heaps of long pepper, and medieval cooking is full of black pepper, long pepper, grains of paradise, cubebs and what have you. The trade routes that brought them in were in operation long before European colonialism.
On the other hand, while long pepper is slightly hotter than black pepper, there's still a big difference between that and chewing your way through a bowl of scotch bonnets or whatever it is you do for fun in the US. :)

(Also, long pepper is great and it's a shame it's so hard to find in physical stores for a sensible price.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Computer viking posted:

European cooking has used pepper and pepper-like spices for ages - the Romans used heaps of long pepper, and medieval cooking is full of black pepper, long pepper, grains of paradise, cubebs and what have you. The trade routes that brought them in were in operation long before European colonialism.
On the other hand, while long pepper is slightly hotter than black pepper, there's still a big difference between that and chewing your way through a bowl of scotch bonnets or whatever it is you do for fun in the US. :)

(Also, long pepper is great and it's a shame it's so hard to find in physical stores for a sensible price.)

Black pepper is not the same as chile pepper, I would say describing something with a lot of black pepper as spicy is misleading.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Computer viking posted:

See also grains of paradise.

I have totally had food hot from black (actually white) pepper. Top fell off the shaker yowza. Yes high quality white pepper had flavor.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 25, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

StormDrain posted:

Black pepper is not the same as chile pepper, I would say describing something with a lot of black pepper as spicy is misleading.

I’ve made a pasta dish that has like 1.5 teaspoons of pepper and it’s definitely spicy. Not super hot but definitely got some heat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chloe Jessica posted:

this man doesn't give a poo poo about you. he wants a walking womb; anyone would have done.

get the hell out and do not under any circumstances tie yourself to him with a child.

Yeah he should have just married an axlotl tank

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also, spicy is not a synonym for hot. Gingerbread is spicy. I add a pinch of dry mustard to mine, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

As someone who hates the holidays and doesn't like being around children I feel confident in saying this dude's family is loving weird. What kind of grandmother refuses to buy gifts for their grandkids and doesn't want them there? Also lol at immediately making his wife the bad guy for even suggesting they change things a little bit. She needs to realize this dude's mom will ALWAYS be more important then his wife. They need to divorce so he can be childfree like his mom so clearly wants.

Eh, I see nothing wrong with the husband's family? But that's probably because I grew up in a family like that and I really like my family.

He shouldn't have said she's controlling though.