Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

The difference is that nobody here would bend over backwards to do their best impression of Rudolf Hess in excusing Americans forcing countries to live under their NATURAL and JUSTIFIED and NECESSARY sphere of influence by violence, meanwhile in the case of Russia the opposite is the case.

Who is excusing anything? Also, the US is just another polity. It has used force to maintain its SoI just like the rest of them.

piL posted:

I believe they are referring to the (presumably) not-active grate that has been welded on top of the active armor.

Yes, it's the slat armor that is made in unit. Has always been a thing but has started appearing on many Russian tanks since july. It's probably for drones.

also makes it easier to have a smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

piL posted:

I liked the theory that, combined with a Mk 1 Tarp, it keeps the rain off.

That was the ISIS tank clothes dryer.

https://twitter.com/mhmiranusa/status/1413190874683650048

They would throw rags over those to try masking tanks from aircraft.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Vasukhani posted:

Ukraine is an existential interest for Russia -- specifically preventing Ukraine from becoming the keystone of an extended cordon sanitaire. It is not an existential, or even close to main, interest for the US and allies.

do Russians in general view Ukraine as existential? Most Russians were opposed to a shooting war with Ukraine in 2014 and those attitudes have increased in more recent polls:

There's a reason why the administration worked so hard to hide its operations in 2014 - most Russians do not want war with Ukraine

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Flavahbeast posted:

do Russians in general view Ukraine as existential? Most Russians were opposed to a shooting war with Ukraine in 2014 and those attitudes have increased in more recent polls:

There's a reason why the administration worked so hard to hide its operations in 2014 - most Russians do not want war with Ukraine

The "thoughts" of the public don't matter at all in this, even in democratic societies. They can be made to think what is necessary for them to think.

More recent and better polling on the similar questions

https://www.levada.ru/2021/09/08/mezhdunarodnye-otnosheniya-avgust-2021/
https://www.levada.ru/2021/06/15/glavnye-druzhestvennye-i-nedruzhestvennye-strany/

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 25, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why the gently caress are American neo Nazis talking about Corneliu Zelea Codreanu. Can anyone explain this to me? The US thread is prolly not the place as your all eastern Europe explainers or dwellers and have a better pulse on this

I know American alt=right/fascist Roosh V just wrote an article where he praised him for creating the Iron Guard and said that the reason he isn't better respected nowadays is because America is under the control of Jews. So maybe that's it?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Maybe we can have a conference in Warsaw and create a pact of some sort to stand as a bulwark against NATO

And enforce it internally with tanks, no abandoning this project!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Epicurius posted:

I know American alt=right/fascist Roosh V just wrote an article where he praised him for creating the Iron Guard and said that the reason he isn't better respected nowadays is because America is under the control of Jews. So maybe that's it?

At the very least I’m not aware of any European dipshits waking up this November to praise a century old Romanian proto-fascist.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

The "thoughts" of the public don't matter at all in this, even in democratic societies. They can be made to think what is necessary for them to think.

More recent and better polling on the similar questions

https://www.levada.ru/2021/09/08/mezhdunarodnye-otnosheniya-avgust-2021/
https://www.levada.ru/2021/06/15/glavnye-druzhestvennye-i-nedruzhestvennye-strany/

There's a very good reason that most videos from the Donbass show toothless alcoholics and lumpenproles fighting for russkyi mir, and many of them are now dead

Most people don't want to die or to kill and propaganda has its very material limits, especially when caskets start coming

Pls, posting about politics does the opposite of treating broken brains

Edit:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KareemRifai/status/1463533276493144071

:getin:

Somaen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 25, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That was the ISIS tank clothes dryer.

https://twitter.com/mhmiranusa/status/1413190874683650048

They would throw rags over those to try masking tanks from aircraft.

Project: T-14 Armata, Russia is the best in tanks!
Reality: Vasiliy, we need you to weld some girders

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Vasukhani posted:

alright, fair enough

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Epicurius posted:

They also seem to have a band that is called Corneliu cordreau prezent. I didn't listen to the "catchy' tunes but I assume it's all anti semitic poo poo

https://img.haarets.co.il/img/1.5682070/1018316866.jpg

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They also seem to have a band that is called Corneliu cordreau prezent. I didn't listen to the "catchy' tunes but I assume it's all anti semitic poo poo

https://img.haarets.co.il/img/1.5682070/1018316866.jpg

Doing some research, that actually looks to be an album with songs by a bunch of European neo-Nazi black metal bands and put out by the Romanian "Tellurian Battlegrounds Productions". It came out in 1999.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I really wonder if Die Grüne are gonna go for it and refuse to authorize opening Nord Stream II, it would be the kind of stuff that would make for some interesting foreign policy news in the near future :getin:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vasukhani posted:

Thank you for the insight Владимир Ильич.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So Zeman was out of hospital for less than a day before he had to go back with Covid.

Maybe we will get a better President soon?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Maybe we will get a better President soon?
Not too hopeful about that one. Besides, who would replace him? The only ones running a semi-open presidential campaign right now are Pavel (and call me crazy, but having a career soldier for President doesn't bode well) and Babiš.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Fair I guess. Honestly I still don't get in which social circles Pavel is campaigning, because I've completely forgotten he even exists, why the gently caress would I vote him in as president?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

14 coal miners died in Siberia. Obviously Putin will now invade Ukraine to coverup the diaster

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Fair I guess. Honestly I still don't get in which social circles Pavel is campaigning, because I've completely forgotten he even exists, why the gently caress would I vote him in as president?
All the Freedom and Democracy Lovers do!
Not my circles either but apparently he's Hot poo poo with right-wingers. Well, the ones with some grasp on reality anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xarn posted:

People very concerned with NaTiOnAl PrEsTiGe because he was an important somebody somewhere once. Also I guess he'd be photogenic if he lost the loving mustache.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Siberian deathroll at 54.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Jesus, that went up fast.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

that's very not good

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

Very brash and ridiculously incorrect statement. Any government relies on public mandate, manufacturing consent takes time. Successfully brainwashing majority on an open and prolonged military operation (ie not rushing through Georgia in two weeks) against closest neighbour is beyond Russian gov capabilities.

In caving to public pressure news, turns out even Russian people dont appreciate when cops rape people with brooms
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/22a0633e-4e1e-11ec-9bc6-5abf98655bc4?shareToken=7a045727d404dacf2f8b727e12ce15b4&s=09

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I skipped like a 150 posts so was like :hmmyes: that's Siberia.

But this is really awfull. Apparently includes 6 rescuers who went down to help so there must've been another explosion or collapse. They're saying they're filling it with methane :confused: not sure how that's going to help.
https://rg.ru/2021/11/26/reg-sibfo/pri-avarii-na-shahte-listviazhnaia-pogibli-52-cheloveka.html

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

barbecue at the folks posted:

I really wonder if Die Grüne are gonna go for it and refuse to authorize opening Nord Stream II, it would be the kind of stuff that would make for some interesting foreign policy news in the near future :getin:

I'm not sure if they have the authority to refuse to certify it and besides SPD is still the biggest supporter of nordstream

It's still excellent news because the Russia-understander
schroder faction wasn't able to block her and hopefully this will lead to many other ways to push in Putin's poop like answering for murders in European countries, MH17, green energy to ween off oil, pressure over political prisoners

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I skipped like a 150 posts so was like :hmmyes: that's Siberia.

Sadly no, but maybe it’s for the better that you think we passionately poured over the details of the Kemerovo mine disaster. :v:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

fatherboxx posted:

Very brash and ridiculously incorrect statement. Any government relies on public mandate, manufacturing consent takes time. Successfully brainwashing majority on an open and prolonged military operation (ie not rushing through Georgia in two weeks) against closest neighbour is beyond Russian gov capabilities.

In caving to public pressure news, turns out even Russian people dont appreciate when cops rape people with brooms
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/22a0633e-4e1e-11ec-9bc6-5abf98655bc4?shareToken=7a045727d404dacf2f8b727e12ce15b4&s=09

idgi, why is it remarkable that Russian people don't appreciate cops sexually abusing prisoners?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

XMNN posted:

idgi, why is it remarkable that Russian people don't appreciate cops sexually abusing prisoners?

Usually Russian populace is very bloodthirsty regarding convicts and law enforcement, with "cushy western prisons" being the mainstay of propaganda. The classic punitive and isolation function over rehabilitation.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gulag-camps-that-killed-two-million-gave-people-start-in-life-russia-declares-httw03klf

quote:

The Soviet Union’s brutal Gulag labour camps provided “a start in life” as well as food and shelter for the country’s poorest citizens, according to an article published by Russian state media that has sparked anger.

The article, published by the RIA Novosti news agency, admitted that there were “downsides” to life in the notoriously harsh camps, but praised them for allowing people to drag themselves out of poverty.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

fatherboxx posted:

Usually Russian populace is very bloodthirsty regarding convicts and law enforcement, with "cushy western prisons" being the mainstay of propaganda. The classic punitive and isolation function over rehabilitation.

Fair enough, sounds like it's pretty similar to many western attitudes towards prisoners (i.e. prisons should be absolutely horrific and people should go there for longer/forever) and prison rape/violence is still a common thing to find people reveling in (e.g. comments under newspaper stories about crimes).

I think I wouldn't be surprised at those same Western populaces being angry about actual video evidence of those things being done by prison officers though, even if there was an element of hypocrisy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

According to the latest Levada poll, 66% of Russians are categorically against torture. 11% think torture is okay when it can save innocent people. Only 9% think torture is permissible against violent criminals in general. It's true that the punitive function is overemphasised in popular thinking, but there is also understanding that the punishment needs to be humane at least to some extent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

One weird trick millenials don't want you to know

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
yeah these stats align with my own experience of talking about these kinds of issues with Russian/Russian-speaking people. at the very least, there's usually an understanding that an entirely innocent person might find themselves locked up essentially on a whim of some silovik or other. if anything, westerners tend to be more susceptible to the whole "it's a just world, if they're in prison surely they deserve everything that happens to them" line of thinking (this is anecdotal, of course)

kinda makes me wonder though why that poster assumed that the Russians wouldn't see prison rape and torture on a systematic scale as something bad

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

nurmie posted:

kinda makes me wonder though why that poster assumed that the Russians wouldn't see prison rape and torture on a systematic scale as something bad

I tend to presume the worst from my countrymen, especially when its about inflicting pain on someone thats not them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

I tend to presume the worst from my countrymen, especially when its about inflicting pain on someone thats not them

I know living in Russia is grim, but you still shouldn't do that. That's what the regime actually wants. They can't do anything about people not trusting official institutions, but they can try to instil mistrust and learned helplessness in people in order to to prevent any grassroots movements from happening.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://theins.ru/news/245901

It's important to note that for a month the guy that leaked the videos was the one that was in the federal wanted list and the government was trying to silence the scandal. He ran away to France

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wonder if that particular propaganda push is connected to them going after Memorial....

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can any of the 1 Estonian itt tell me why you guys are building fence on Russian border? Is this an attention thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-has-information-about-december-coup-attempt-with-russian-involvement-2021-11-26/

this is either the worst coup attempt since turkey or they're trying to come up with a reason to arrest akhmetov

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 26, 2021