Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just got a text from the local recruiter. He spelled the name of the high school he represented incorrectly.

E.

King of Bees fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

Your cross assigned unit is the unit you actually support and go on your 2 weeks with.

I'd agree about standing behind people on say, a cruiser, but the LCS pipeline is loving awful and I've yet to meet a single Sailor of any rate that knows how to actually troubleshoot C21 in a logical way. It's not their fault, there's no c school or anything and when I'm working with FCs on newly delivered LCS I'm working with like gun guys and sea sparrow techs. The ETs/IT's are generally alright on the networking side but have little experience with an aegis like platform.

I don't mean to type paragraphs of bitching but at the time I had just got off of active duty and was legitimately excited about helping out the fleet as a reservist and the way I was treated throughout that experience made me pretty cynical wrt reserve activity.

As far as heads up, for LCS specifically that's all on LCSRON. They know exactly when they're getting reservists and could absolutely contact the waterfront hulls and start putting people in contact, they just don't.

If you as a command have funding you can request reservists but those are generally longer billets. Technically you could request them for like a 9 month deployment or whatever and that would count as their mob, there's lots of ways to get reservists out to a command.

In general though commands only get them for their 2 week at and if I'm an active duty lpo who just got some reservists I don't know anything about I'm going to have them paint or whatever.

I'm kind of jumping all over the place here but as far as you interviewing them to find skillsets, those are all documented already, both civilian and navy skills/job/schools but you as a DH on a ship don't have access to them. I'd be willing to bet whoever the sailor is assigned to can pull them up though.

I appreciate all of this; it's something I recognize as a big opportunity that appears to get squandered because of friction. Good to know that the skillsets are somewhere--maybe good, proactive comms with the NOSCs my ship will be supported from may help.

CainFortea posted:

I wood have made this joke, but you beat me to it. You're always a thorn in my side.

Spear me the theatrics.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

King of Bees posted:

Just got a text from the local recruiter. He spelled the name of the high school he represented incorrectly.

E.
(Removed screenshot with recruiter’s phone number) - FV

No use of "shipmate" in your response. 5/10.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 17, 2021

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ahahaha

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

King of Bees posted:

E.

You might want to blur the guy’s phone number.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Youre right. Just edited it out. Evil Spongebob if you could do the same? Thank you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

piL posted:

Yeah, I feel like I would need to be working with the ROC/NOSC ahead of time to make use of any reservists. Even standing behind Sailors is only really useful for unplanned maintenance. Looking ahead, I plan to interview any reservists coming on to try and figure out what their dayjobs are and how they could actually help but, in the past, I didn't have enough awareness to think that way. If I do work with reservists again, the plan is to quickly interrogate them about skills--both navy and dayjob related, indoc them, and try to get them from zero to useful, but I imagine that's easy to think about while I'm in an office right now--much harder when I have a bunch of other worries.

I wonder how a DH finds out they're getting support, and what that support is based on--do they get a heads up? Can they know anything about the incoming Sailors first? Is it based on departmental requests or funding convenience or mobilization need?

Edit: what's a cross assigned unit?

A lot of things you are talking about they are trying to implement.

If you are looking for a KMI qualed manager willing to just audit records to help out and repair random drops, create new copper runs and printer maintenance just PM and I’m sure I can be rented out like a work mule. I’ve been requested directly before by a commands.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

You might want to blur the guy’s phone number.

To be fair it is a government phone so doesn't really matter

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
First COVID-era PRT out of the way. Everyone else who had signed up for my time slot either went earlier or had to reschedule so I ended up getting to do it alone with all our CFLs watching (along with everyone else finishing in the previous time slot). :v: I'll credit that with motivating me to do a few more pushups and a few more seconds of plank.

Crab Dad posted:

Holy shot I almost failed my PRT run. It’s raining pretty bad up here so I decided to do the inside treadmill for the first time. The fancy machine in here has a navy prt setting where you punch in your desired goal and it calculates a speed for you with a mile and a half preset. I punched in a goal of 14:00 and it started me off at a decent pace. After 5 minutes I looked down and I hadn’t even done .4 of a mile. I freaked out and ramped up the speed and almost killed my self to get a 15:29 mile and half.

I have literally ran a prt in the rain with a knee injury walked a lap and got a much better time.

I recalculated the the goal speed after and it adjusted the speed up so I’m guessing the odometer is just hosed up.

Not gonna lie, this story was in the back of my mind the entire time I was on the bike. My brain has nothing better to do than constantly extrapolate calorie burn rates every 15 seconds so I know exactly how far ahead or behind pace I am so this was just extra incentive to keep track.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

PneumonicBook posted:

It all sucks but I can't answer any healthcare related questions since Im a Federal Employee and I'm not allowed to have Reserve Tricare, a thing I was not aware of before signing a 6 year contract :)

I appreciate all the reserves bad feelings. I definitely did not know this and it might strongly effect my decision :v:

I'm an IW officer so we don't have things like quals or hard skills. W/R/T reservists, my particular designator cares so little they will put accession level commissions into instructor billets.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not gonna lie, this story was in the back of my mind the entire time I was on the bike. My brain has nothing better to do than constantly extrapolate calorie burn rates every 15 seconds so I know exactly how far ahead or behind pace I am so this was just extra incentive to keep track.

I'm at a place that is big and centralized enough to have bikes with little PRT calculators on them. When I finished, it flashed "SATISFACTORY" at me and I almost poo poo myself. Checked the actual app real quick and I had Good High. Dunno what was up there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

I'm an IW officer so we don't have things like quals or hard skills. W/R/T reservists, my particular designator cares so little they will put accession level commissions into instructor billets.

Should of led with this in the first place!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Red Crown posted:

I'm at a place that is big and centralized enough to have bikes with little PRT calculators on them. When I finished, it flashed "SATISFACTORY" at me and I almost poo poo myself. Checked the actual app real quick and I had Good High. Dunno what was up there.

Yeah I had a moment of :wtf: when I put my numbers into the app and it said "FAIL", until I realized it had reset the age to 17.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Actually quote from the CO addressing us over the 1MC:

"I can't think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving than out at sea with you all!"

Oooookay, skip.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

"I can't think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving than out at sea with you all!"

Oooookay, skip.

"After my second wife left me, my Navy career really hit it's stride," your CO probably

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/1463654565216149504?t=NL704uO5x9U3r7dD2LrSDw&s=19

The Chaplin onboard the amphib during deployment was creepy and nightly prayer over the 1MC was terrible. Maybe we need more Sailors on ships and also more mental health folks instead of Chaps pretending to do counseling and therapy

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys are asking a lot out of the Navy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Resiliency is deciding we just need Chaplain's when even from a surface glance it's obvious they are not trained for addressing the root issues causing these problems. Or can you pray away manning requirements? I'm a dumb atheist leftist I don't understand these things

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I was in the Navy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

"After my second wife left me, my Navy career really hit it's stride," your CO probably

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/1463654565216149504?t=NL704uO5x9U3r7dD2LrSDw&s=19

The Chaplin onboard the amphib during deployment was creepy and nightly prayer over the 1MC was terrible. Maybe we need more Sailors on ships and also more mental health folks instead of Chaps pretending to do counseling and therapy

One of those is a lot easier to find and pay than the other.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Send the Chaplain to deck div until hes qualified

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Have you completed sleep deprivation awareness training?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sir Lucius posted:

I was in the Navy

hosed up if true drat

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McNally posted:

Oh, you did it in September? That was the FY21 training, you need to get the FY22 training done by COB Friday.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

McNally posted:

I'll do it after watch tonight

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Meanwhile in the civilian world:

https://gcaptain.com/tanker-masters-fatigue-cited-in-73-million-marine-accident/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Send the Chaplain to deck div until he's qualified

Hear, hear!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Oooookay, skip.

I always test my chiefs. Anyone that says they can't wait to go to work and love being out at sea is insane and I need to be extremely careful around them and watch them like a hawk.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

This is wrong he had 50 hours in which to sleep and read the offgoing masters turnover and ask questions while traveling he shouldn't have spent it all drinking.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lightpole posted:

I always test my chiefs. Anyone that says they can't wait to go to work and love being out at sea is insane and I need to be extremely careful around them and watch them like a hawk.

This is how I felt. Especially the ones who loved being away from the families. Like if your whole family bothers you it’s probably not them that’s the issue.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

:chiefsay:

Anita Dickinme posted:

This is how I felt. Especially the ones who loved being away from the families. Like if your whole family bothers you it’s probably not them that’s the issue.

Yea my first Chief was Spy Senior Chief who loving loathed leaving the ship prior to 530 (SORRY 1730!!!). Like what the absolute gently caress was wrong with that guy? Made Master Chief and went on to gently caress other divisions on other ships!

Lots of time spent napping in Computer Central that could have been spent at home, not hating my life.

The best Chiefs I had were the ones that knew how much bullshit and posturing all of that was, but also those were the guys that in general remembered there was an E in front of that 7.

Happy Thanksgiving, lol if you're still in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I finally spent a thanksgiving with my family something that the Navy never allowed me to do my entire time in FTN and I love you all

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Sir Lucius posted:

I was in the Navy
A great place to be from, a goddamn awful place to be

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
https://gcaptain.com/bulk-carriers-cook-arrested-in-mauritius-for-gruesome-murder-of-captain/

Cigarette ration is no joke

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A new captain and a new chef will have to fly to Mauritius before the Meghna Liberty can get the green light to leave Port Louis.

Captain Obvious wrote this?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

A new captain and a new chef will have to fly to Mauritius before the Meghna Liberty can get the green light to leave Port Louis.

Captain Obvious wrote this?

You can in theory finish the voyage with just the chief mate.

That being said, yeah, reporters are usually captain obvious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

You can in theory finish the voyage with just the chief mate.

That being said, yeah, reporters are usually captain obvious.

Seems super unwise to go to sea without a cook too.

I know some ships basically got corn dogs for weeks and they had a head cook.

People have killed for less.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Heh I’ve been on ships were deckhands did the cooking in a pinch, worst things have happened. It’s like 15 people eating cafeteria grade food.

There might be an STCW requirement for cooks though I can’t recall off the top of my head.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

worst things have happened

Boy have they ever:

quote:

a Filipino sailor killed two of his comrades and forced six others into the ocean – who were never found

quote:

Captain Kung Tai-an of the Ching killed twelve sailors with his special caliber Magnum while under the influence of alcohol. He also forced three others to jump into the water while cruising 600 nautical miles from Mauritius.
Holy loving poo poo. I'm suddenly thankful that "captain gets drunk and makes people walk the plank at gunpoint" is one thing I've never had to worry about on a ship before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
One thing you've never had to worry about on a ship before, YET.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I literally thought about putting that but didn't want to jinx it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Always wondered what percentage of an American crew has a gun stashed aboard.