Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

ymgve posted:

It’s s pretty good Metroidvania game, kinda like Shadow Complex if you remember that, but no guns. Though I played it on PS5 so can’t comment on the quality of the PC version.

Ok this super sells it for me thanks, will scoop immediately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't listen to this. P4G is easy as hell. You do this and you'll be bored outta your mind

Huh, did P4G adjust the early difficulty curve compared to vanilla P4? Or maybe I was just unusually bad? I was mainly thinking (story spoilers for 4) about the Rise/Teddy fight early on and some of the late-game bosses. I had fun screwing around with fusions and buffing up levels/gear at each point, but I had a few friends who felt the first spike, in particular, was really frustrating.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, did P4G adjust the early difficulty curve compared to vanilla P4? Or maybe I was just unusually bad? I was mainly thinking (story spoilers for 4) about the Rise/Teddy fight early on and some of the late-game bosses. I had fun screwing around with fusions and buffing up levels/gear at each point, but I had a few friends who felt the first spike, in particular, was really frustrating.

Some of the early bosses were made easier, and most of the new Golden stuff helps you get stronger.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

I played Dishonored 2 this year and wondered why it needed about 2 minutes of loading whenever I booted it. Did some searching and found a lot of posts blaming it on Denuvo. Which had been removed from the game since these posts were made.

The one guy who posted that it had something to do with "shader rebuilding" whenever you changed graphical settings was onto something tho. Once I was done tweaking graphics every boot, the 2 minute load became a 10 second load.

So while there are definitive cases of Denuvo impacting performance it not necessarily has to be the sole reason. It's published by Bethesda... so clearly it was Gamebryo's fault all along!

I think it was meant as a joke but still "Void Engine" is build upon idTech (6 I think the megatexture one initially developed for RAGE)

its interesting how many different engines Arkane has been using over the years. Source for Dark Messiah, Unreal 3 for Dishonored 1, idTech for 2 and Deathloop and Prey is build upon some kind of CryEngine. Its rather unusual to not have "the one inhouse engine" like almost everyone is using for all their titles or at least sticking with one middleware such as Unreal. Guess Void is now their thing though

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 25, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

haldolium posted:

its interesting how many different engines Arkane has been using over the years. Source for Dark Messiah, Unreal 3 for Dishonored 1, idTech for 2 and Deathloop and Prey is build upon some kind of CryEngine. Its rather unusual to not have "the one inhouse engine" like almost everyone is using for all their titles or at least sticking with one middleware such as Unreal. Guess Void is now their thing though

Bonus: Prey is CryEngine, but the multiplayer spinoff Typhon Hunter is UE4

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any game suggestions? Ive hit a point in my life where Ive bought pretty much every game Ive ever wanted. So besides the new game that comes out that interests me - I'm looking for hidden gems.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shard posted:

Any game suggestions? Ive hit a point in my life where Ive bought pretty much every game Ive ever wanted. So besides the new game that comes out that interests me - I'm looking for hidden gems.

what games you like

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

what games you like

Single Player RPGs are my favorite. Stuff with choices. Favorite games are Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect trilogy, Baldur's Gate that kinda stuff.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

haldolium posted:

I think it was meant as a joke but still "Void Engine" is build upon idTech (6 I think the megatexture one initially developed for RAGE)

For all their strengths, Arkane has always been sort of a technical mess. IDK why they didn't just standardize on UE 10+ years ago like most studios that lack technical mastery, but they're probably going to keep loving up forever. Dishonored 1 is by far their most technically competent game, and that's really not a surprise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shard posted:

Single Player RPGs are my favorite. Stuff with choices. Favorite games are Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect trilogy, Baldur's Gate that kinda stuff.

Geneforge

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shard posted:

Disco Elysium

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

For all their strengths, Arkane has always been sort of a technical mess. IDK why they didn't just standardize on UE 10+ years ago like most studios that lack technical mastery, but they're probably going to keep loving up forever. Dishonored 1 is by far their most technically competent game, and that's really not a surprise.

Prey seemed pretty competent to me, ironically considering what a mess CryEngine is in general

Load times were pretty bad on consoles IIRC but on PC it was fine

Jack Trades posted:

Disco Elysium

:hmmyes:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Honest opinion, at 30 bucks is Cyberpunk 2077 worth picking up in it's current state?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Honest opinion, at 30 bucks is Cyberpunk 2077 worth picking up in it's current state?

Only if you're really excited about the concept.

I'd say it's worth 20 bux, being a 20-30 hour long linear story game with mediocre to bad gameplay. 30 bux is a bit of a stretch though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shard posted:

Unavowed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BigRed0427 posted:

Yep.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

The Pathfinder games.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Shard posted:

I renewed my Xbox gamepass for $1 and got 3 months out of it. I'm currently playing through Greedfall which is similar to Mass Effect so far. Reviews have it in the 7-8/10 range, I'm only a few hours in and enjoying it.

https://youtu.be/kRVYj3Iwcvw

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

Bonus: Prey is CryEngine, but the multiplayer spinoff Typhon Hunter is UE4

oh wow I really forgot that this exists... makes their journey into every classic engine dev territory complete.

K8.0 posted:

Hmm idk, I would not call it "technical mess" and am rather impressed that they managed so many different engines with still great games attached. I know especially idTech based void engine has caused several problems with dishonored 2 and now again with deathloop but Im still happy that they use it as it remains exactly what id intended it for back then and which Arkanes game in particular are benefitting from.

BigRed0427 posted:

really depends what you expect. It was already "good enough" like 2-3 patches in and the poo poo it is missing cannot be patched so I say "yes" but again, it just depends what you expect.

Its RPG parts and crafting and stuff are bad but the story and shooting is quite good, so are most missions and the visuals. Sidekick Jonny is surprisingly good, might be Keanus best role yet. World and dynamics of it suck in comparison to GTA in particular, its life- and soulless full of visible asset recycling and very bad crowd and traffic simulation.
There are also mods to remedy some of these things.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 25, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hate that Prey is basically the only Arkane game that I like (though to be fair, I love Prey). Dishonored 2 made me wish I was playing Prey the whole time. I think the setting fell pretty flat for me, and nothing about the characters or settings pulled me in. Then I tried Deathloop which was kind of a $60 lesson in not jumping into a game too blindly of its mechanics. The loops and stages just felt blah and even though a stage had different times of day you could play in, they all felt uninspired in a way I cant really put into words. Which was a shame because the first hour of the game was really cool and I was like "oh man this is a really dysfunctional relationship".

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Shard posted:

Persona 4?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jack Trades posted:

Only if you're really excited about the concept.

I'd say it's worth 20 bux, being a 20-30 hour long linear story game with mediocre to bad gameplay. 30 bux is a bit of a stretch though.

Yeah, I didn't have a lot of bugs and don't really care about a vibrant open world or whatever, but Cyberpunk is just kind of boring and poorly designed. It has all the problems of Witcher 3 without any of the good parts.

Probably worth like 20 bucks if you're interested in the setting, but otherwise don't bother.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

"It's bad but it's worth $20" doesn't make any sense

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mescal posted:

i think the fights are fun, there are some excellent scenes between well-written people and the city is amazing. as a set of game systems its a total mess, which witcher 3 suffered from too, but as a way to spend some time being a cyberpunk it's good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

The story is fairly entertaining but all the bullshit around it is frustrating and also there's only like 20 hours of story (including gameplay) in there and experiencing it is not worth more than maybe 20 bux IMO.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, its pretty good if you like the cyberpunk narrative and character focused narratives. They are some great parts depending on how you approach it.

It really seems overwhelming at first, but the reality is the game gives you hundreds of options to build your character and few of them really have a major impact. Hacking? Yes, that is god mode but so much fun and really fits the vibe of the setting. There's a "slow-time" combat build where it's all about slicing and dicing. Guns are good if a little samey for the most part with nothing that really jumps out as unique. Crafting is another way to really break the game, but there is still a couple of character perks that don't work or are detrimental to a play-style (the one that automatically recycles junk will dismantle high $$$ items into a piece of plastic worth pennies)

The comments about the game being a facade really ring true, there's a million cool looking things to do and while they're all technically unique most of the side content that isn't story or major side quests are all similar enough that you do it a few dozen times and there's not anything worth reading or looking in to anymore. 99% of the items and equipment are junk and you're just looking for whatever incremental increase over your current gear you have. I got a lot of enjoyment out of running around grinding up street cred to buy the best hacking gear, but once you get it, then there's not much else to grind for so you're left just sticking to story content.

Despite being branded like a GTA game, it's more like Deus Ex or Dishonored, where you can sneak around buildings, lockpicking and hacking your way to the goal while silently taking down the enemies. The driving is also god awful trash, so you want to get the bike asap because its the only way to make map traversal bearable.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I had the auto-junk skill and don't recall it causing any problems, plus the crafting system generates infinite money.

For me, Cyberpunk 2077 is a must-play. There's a lot of poor systems, sure, but the story and the characters easily make up for it. It reminds me of Planescape Torment in that sense.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Shard posted:

Underrail

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I mostly enjoyed what I played of CP2077, but I could really tell it was developed over many years, as some of the design choices were quite dated. It felt like it should have been released in 2017 or something. Most people should have fun with it excluding the bugs, but I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Propaganda Hour posted:

I renewed my Xbox gamepass for $1 and got 3 months out of it. I'm currently playing through Greedfall which is similar to Mass Effect so far. Reviews have it in the 7-8/10 range, I'm only a few hours in and enjoying it.

I loved the idea of Greedfall but it fell short for me every single step of the way and I ultimately hated it by the end.

A game that feels similar to me, at least by way of jank is Elex. Elex is a janky janky janky game by the guys that made other janky janky gems like Risen and Gothic. But this one has a really cool setting... you play as a drug-fueled cyborgish guy who crash lands on a planet that was recently obliterated by a comet. So there's like road warrior esque post apocalyptic guys, there's medieval fantasy guys, there's robot guys. It's a real mess but I definitely enjoy it whereas I did not care for Greedfall.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shard posted:

Druidstone. It's from the Legend of Grimrock devs.

It's a mission based plot-light Fantasy RPG with Xcom style movement and actions and a high degree of flexibility in how you build your characters, and it's super cheap now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Northern Journey is extremely strange and interesting, if you like the feeling of morrowind and the vague confusing ambiance of cruelty squad you should take a look

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Christ Doom Eternal is bloated. I guess I'll just replay 2016.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Doom Eternal is the best loving thing since sliced bread.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I managed to grab a physical PC copy off Gamestop for $17 and I'm still waiting until that game's fixed up a bit more

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

nah, that's Outer Wilds, but DE's sure a close second

time to try playing it again in fact I think, see if Marauders are any less of a frustrating pain in the rear end this time

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Armauk posted:

Underrail

Yeah Underrail is cool. It’s basically modernized,but still isometric, Fallout 2 and with more cyberpunk themes instead of wasteland. It carves out a distinctive setting and universe for itself which is pretty hard to do in a genre as crowded as this one.

If you do pick it up, I’d heavily suggest your first play through be on Easy. The game leans a little heavy on those more orthodox RPG designs where your character has to have XYZ combat stats to actually finish the game. The dev put in an Easy mode which I think is far more enjoyable while still requiring you to plan ahead and utilize buffs, bombs and sometimes nets.

Great game though, check out the steam reviews at the least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Sliced bread ain't got poo poo on Doom Eternal. :colbert:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

Christ Doom Eternal is bloated. I guess I'll just replay 2016.

strong agree, I hated it - and the flabbergasting, poorly delivered (especially compared to 2016) narrative - when it first launched and refunded it. I eventually beat it when it went on GamePass and while I don't hate it anymore and I think it's probably worth playing, beating it a time and a half really solidified for me why I liked DOOM 16 more: tighter levels, a setting that made sense with actual characters, fewer systems that let you really focus on weapon swapping and arena play, and (though this one is much more subjective) I think it looked better and found the makyr alien stuff in Eternal to be ugly and boring. I'd say it's a major downgrade from 16 in most ways but still a top notch shooter compared to basically every other major FPS around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

If turn-based and non-action RPGs can be included, that description has a good alignment with some indie RPG cult classics like OMORI, OneShot, and Lisa: The Painful. Not much will match thr volume of choices in your games list but the choices are a big part of the story, without getting into games with way more polarized reception like Age of Decadence.

DMCrimson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 25, 2021