Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I spent the day blocking basic auth for an older 365 tenant, then set up a physical Fortigate firewall to use SAML and Azure MFA for SSLVPN connections for the first time, which was quite fun. The newest version of FortiOS has built-in Let's Encrypt certificate support for the SSLVPN and management interfaces (and in general), so that was enjoyable to setup.

I've had a good amount of job satisfaction these last few months which has been really nice for a change. I have not cared to update my resume nor have I tried to look elsewhere, which I attribute to some large raises this summer and a new attitude of "I can't help these people right now because I'm focusing on my work" which I recently developed. I've spent the past couple of years trying to answer every little question from the helpdesk in chat and when they call me instead of focusing on my assigned projects. While helping them also helps me learn, it's mostly just the same poo poo I've been doing for nearly 10 years and repeating the same things over and over again has become tiresome.

Next week on my plate is a locally hosted Linux based IMAP/POP3 to MS 365 email migration for an org that is supposed to be compliant to with a certain set of standards, so my satisfaction may drop significantly soon, depending on how many "this computer has this set of emails and this other computer has this different, dissimilar set of emails, but it's using the same email address. Why?!" questions I receive when I get started.

Also happy early Thanksgiving, IT thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I do devops in all 3 clouds, by this threads estimate I should be making 450k base.

I have recently been standing up AKS clusters and I don't know if it's just me but Azure IAM is a mess compared to GCP and AWS. IAM for the gitlab-runners can be placed at the subscription, resource group, or resource however only the resource group one is valid for cluster RBAC :wtf:

And then binding a kubernetes serviceaccount to an Azure identity is a whole new level of pain (and not even possible because they use pod identity instead which is fine)

And I can't go all spot instances, the main node pool must be reserved

Also kubernetes 1.20 switched to containerd and now all the old ways of loading internal CAs into a cluster aren't valid :negative:

Azure is 1/10 with rice

Sepist fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 25, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbf, aks is hot garbage and half the features are still in preview

most of the rest of Azure is fine

We do a lot of work with containers in app service environments and I’m pretty happy with the results

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

devmd01 posted:

I told my boss a couple of months ago that if they didn’t promote me, I would start looking.

While it has been agreed upon that it will happen, they have until the end of January for the title and pay to become a reality. Tick tock, tick tock.

Never too early to start looking, and look anyways.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

jaegerx posted:

Meh gently caress em. I’m not here to build anything anymore. I’m here to get paid.

Embrace the paycheck

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

The Fool posted:

tbf, aks is hot garbage and half the features are still in preview

most of the rest of Azure is fine

We do a lot of work with containers in app service environments and I’m pretty happy with the results

Yea thats fair. I dont have issues with non-AKS Azure stuff. We do use container service but for some reason the BU who uses it wants more control that AKS provides.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Agrikk posted:

Do you have a pedometer? How far are you walking every day?

My fitness tracker says I average about 9,000 steps a day, about 4 miles of walking, and 10 floors of stairs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Maybe the wrong thread but is there a way to "trick" AWS/GCP/Azure into getting a new free account? I had a free Azure account a few years ago and can't see to get a new one. Is it tied to my physical address?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sepist posted:

I do devops in all 3 clouds, by this threads estimate I should be making 450k base.

I have recently been standing up AKS clusters and I don't know if it's just me but Azure IAM is a mess compared to GCP and AWS. IAM for the gitlab-runners can be placed at the subscription, resource group, or resource however only the resource group one is valid for cluster RBAC :wtf:

Why on earth would you want to learn all three clouds? To me, that's crazy and I feel like you wouldn't be able to keep up or your abilities would just be watered down.

I think Azure IAM is fantastic. All the stuff with PIM, MFA, RBAC, etc. is incredible but I'm not familiar with gitlab-runners? All of your resources will be placed into one or more resource groups.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Maybe the wrong thread but is there a way to "trick" AWS/GCP/Azure into getting a new free account? I had a free Azure account a few years ago and can't see to get a new one. Is it tied to my physical address?

It should just be tied to whatever email address you used. If your trial expires, sign up with a different email.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 25, 2021

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It should just be tied to whatever email address you used. If you trial expires, sign up with a different email.

That, and the credit card you put on file in case of extra charges, I think

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Why on earth would you want to learn all three clouds? To me, that's crazy and I feel like you wouldn't be able to keep up or your abilities would just be watered down.

I think Azure IAM is fantastic. All the stuff with PIM, MFA, RBAC, etc. is incredible but I'm not familiar with gitlab-runners? All of your resources will be placed into one or more resource groups.

That's kind of a weird statement. I was a network engineer for 15 years before getting into devops and went from route & switch, to wifi to network security, if someone asked me why I would do that because it waters down my abilities I would give them a weird look.

And to answer your question, it was more necessity than desire. We were originally AWS, we used GCP for bigdata and each BU had their own infra engineer. Then we acquired a company who uses Azure and by that time we had centralized infra under my team and we were on the hook for building infra in all 3 clouds suddenly. I try to hire engineers with strengths in one specific cloud, and where I can't, I pick up the slack until I no longer have to. Unfortunately my GCP engineer quit a while back as he didn't like that we transitioned away from "wild west" deployments and we just never had an Azure engineer which I'm hoping to rectify in the next round of team expansion.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Multi cloud strategy is a thing.

Makes you less likely to be completely vendor locked and if MS breaks Azure again you have at least another provider that can run (parts of) your workloads.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Multi cloud is a very expensive thing that doesn’t actually achieve its stated reliability benefits unless you have a button you can hit that does the switch in 15 minutes. Sometimes there are truly unparalleled services too (bigquery comes to mind here). I think it is very rarely a good idea, especially given how it expensive it is to retain the expertise necessary to run the drat things well, all at the same time.

I do think knowing all major public clouds is helpful though! A lot of the skills are lift and shift - at the end of the day a managed container service is a managed container service, a VPC is a VPC. But there’s important differences between the lot and being comfortable in any cloud environment is a big asset for finding new work. I’m excited to get my 6th cloud cert (I’m hitting diminishing returns) in my third and final cloud (Azure) soon, just so I can say I’ve that basic familiarity with the lot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Using multiple public clouds only makes sense if you are putting different things in them. If you are making your products more complex to attempt to not be affected by the small outages of azure or aws, it just doesn’t work out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sepist posted:

That's kind of a weird statement. I was a network engineer for 15 years before getting into devops and went from route & switch, to wifi to network security, if someone asked me why I would do that because it waters down my abilities I would give them a weird look.

And to answer your question, it was more necessity than desire. We were originally AWS, we used GCP for bigdata and each BU had their own infra engineer. Then we acquired a company who uses Azure and by that time we had centralized infra under my team and we were on the hook for building infra in all 3 clouds suddenly. I try to hire engineers with strengths in one specific cloud, and where I can't, I pick up the slack until I no longer have to. Unfortunately my GCP engineer quit a while back as he didn't like that we transitioned away from "wild west" deployments and we just never had an Azure engineer which I'm hoping to rectify in the next round of team expansion.

I don't mean it in the sense that you've had previous positions and you've had to wear different hats. I used to be a Apple Certified Macintosh Technician at one point but now my focus is primarily the Microsoft stack. I can't imagine trying to learn Azure, AWS, and GCP but I see how your circumstance you kind of didn't have a choice.

LochNessMonster posted:

Multi cloud strategy is a thing.

Makes you less likely to be completely vendor locked and if MS breaks Azure again you have at least another provider that can run (parts of) your workloads.

I've heard of multi-cloud strategy being a thing and I've rarely seen it be successful. Outside of large F500s or whatever vendor only working with a specific cloud. As for lock-in, the primary benefit of the cloud is all of the native cloud services is things like Azure's App Service Environments which is never really going to be simply transferable to another vendor without a massive re-architecture.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is this for real?

Technical Support Engineer - Software-Defined Storage - Remote
Red Hat Raleigh, NC Remote
$53,000/yr - $74,000/yr (LinkedIn est.)
· Full-time
· Requires working Weekends and Holidays

What You Will Do
Serve as a direct contact and adviser for customer inquiries about Red Hat Ceph Storage and Red Hat OpenShift Data Foundations offerings
Deliver an exceptional customer experience by using professional communication skills, applying existing knowledge and deep troubleshooting to resolve a variety of issues
Partner with Red Hat’s strategic cloud partners to jointly solve multi-vendor customer issues
Continuously develop troubleshooting skills and keep up with the latest technology trends

What You Will Bring
Advanced Linux knowledge, skills, and ability required of administrators responsible for Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems; Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) is a plus
Experience as a support, sustaining, or development engineer or other directly related experience within an enterprise environment
Experience with software-defined storage products, like Gluster, Ceph, Nutanix AOS, etc.
Familiarity with container technologies, including Kubernetes, OpenShift, Docker, etc.
Outstanding troubleshooting skills and passion for problem-solving and investigation

Does Redhat pay poo poo or are linkedin's estimates way off? 53k sounds INSANE and 74k still seems 30-40k low.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
We don't do multi-cloud DR for what's it worth, we rely on multi-az for DR and if a service is down for a whole region than we just go aw shucks and that's the end of it, and everyone is okay with that (until the day they aren't)

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 25, 2021

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bob Morales posted:

Does Redhat pay poo poo or are linkedin's estimates way off? 53k sounds INSANE and 74k still seems 30-40k low.

Holy gently caress that's such a lowball number, that should be at the very least 120

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sepist posted:

We don't do multi-cloud DR for what's it worth, we really on multi-az for DR and if a service is down for a whole region than we just go aw shucks and that's the end of it, and everyone is okay with that (until the day they aren't)

Yeah there are definitely diminishing returns for HA and it very much depends on the service you’re trying to build. Something like 911 services (I know - in an ideal world), or some military critical thing, yeah maybe multi cloud is reasonable (it probably still isn’t). Multi-regional is good enough for the rest, multi AZ good enough for most.

It’s not the mostest reliable thing in the world but it also probably doesn’t have to be. It’s a matter of focusing your limited time to do things that have the most impact for the business and its objectives in a cost efficient manner. Good code and intelligent architecture is very very helpful in achieving that, but is by no means required and judging when and where to make the tradeoff is important.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 25, 2021

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Is this for real?

· Full-time

What You Will Do
Serve as a direct contact and adviser for customer inquiries about Red Hat Ceph Storage and Red Hat OpenShift Data Foundations offerings
Deliver an exceptional customer experience by using professional communication skills, applying existing knowledge and deep troubleshooting to resolve a variety of issues
Partner with Red Hat’s strategic cloud partners to jointly solve multi-vendor customer issues
Continuously develop troubleshooting skills and keep up with the latest technology trends

What You Will Bring
Advanced Linux knowledge, skills, and ability required of administrators responsible for Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems; Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) is a plus
Experience as a support, sustaining, or development engineer or other directly related experience within an enterprise environment
Experience with software-defined storage products, like Gluster, Ceph, Nutanix AOS, etc.
Familiarity with container technologies, including Kubernetes, OpenShift, Docker, etc.
Outstanding troubleshooting skills and passion for problem-solving and investigation

That seems to be on par for what I've seen from them. Their pay tends to be poo poo because the COL in Raleigh was fairly low.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't do much cloud stuff, but I would have thought that learning all of the major cloud providers would be more like learning a new programming language or a new route/switch platform, where the concepts are the same and you just have to learn what things are called and where they are and how you do them in that vendor's tools. Not no-work but not anywhere near the major lift of learning for the first time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Is this for real?

· Full-time

What You Will Do

What You Will Bring

I think that's accurate and way too low but remember IBM now owns RedHat. My take, they're probably just dangling how awesome is it to work at IBM/Redhat!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Is this for real?

Sounds about right, some people want to push wages down or just don't realized how valuable this sort of person is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's IBM. They'll low ball those jobs and then send the jobs overseas saying they can't find anyone local.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

It's IBM. They'll low ball those jobs and then send the jobs overseas saying they can't find anyone local.

Yea, it seems like they have a never-ending stream of people to take these jobs in other countries.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happy thanksgiving it thread, I am especially thankful for all of you and hope you are all doing good even if you don’t celebrate this holy day of gluttony

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Amen.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Indeed, this is the best subforum filled with wonderful people. I am thankful for all of you!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

70k USD is around 50 lakh. You can get APAC engineers for a third of that. Less if you just hire college students.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

This thread has legit been invaluable as I’ve entered into the industry, have a wonderful holiday and consider ways to automate thanksgiving dinner.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Canadian salaries :negative: :canada:

Is there a reason why IT or even developer salaries are so low in Canada and Europe? Or does it really matter at the end of the day because honestly as long as I have a decent home and retirement I wouldn't care.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ASAPRockySituation posted:

This thread has legit been invaluable as I’ve entered into the industry, have a wonderful holiday and consider ways to automate thanksgiving dinner.

No joke. Because of this thread I've literally tripled my income since I started in IT (and started following this thread) in 2016.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Posting lovely wage jobs.

Network Technician
SAIC - United States
$25K - $50K(Employer est.)

Aerospace & Defense

Description

The Digital Workspace Network Operations Center, a multi-tenant network support team, located in Oak Ridge and Cookeville, Tennessee, currently has an opening for the position of Network Technician I. The DW NOC supports SAIC's internal network, the associated ISMC network, and multiple client networks. We work with numerous teams and individuals via email, telephone, chat, and direct ticket submission. We support off hour's coverage for all customers, ensuring 24/7 seamless operations.

Applicants must be flexible to work any 10-hour shift within our hours of operation, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with possibility of overnights, weekends, and holidays. This position is for a four-day, 40-hour workweek. We are seeking candidates who live in, or around, the Oak Ridge/Knoxville area in East Tennessee, the Cookeville area in Middle Tennessee, or remote technicians around the US.

Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):

Inspect LAN/WAN infrastructure and fix minor or major problems/bugs
Perform troubleshooting to system failures and identify bottlenecks to ensure long term efficiency of network
Evaluate network performance and find ways of improvement
Test, configure, and maintain network hardware and peripheral devices
Assist End-Users is identifying and resolving network related issues
Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance without deterring others from completing their own work
Provide technical direction to co-workers on computer and network usage and offer comprehensive advice and instructions
Work in tandem with all coworkers, and other teams, to ensure efficient and prompt resolution of all issues.
Qualifications

Education:

Associate's Degree in Computer Networking/Engineering or related field, or 3+ years' experience in an IT support role.
Certifications:

CCNA qualifications are strongly preferred (Net+ acceptable)
CCNA Security/SEC+ qualifications are strongly preferred.
Required skills:

Outstanding diagnostic, problem-solving and analytical skills
Good knowledge of LAN/WAN networks, TCP/IP protocols and network technologies
Familiarity with the OSI and TCP/IP models and how the layers function and relate
Familiarity with concepts and best practices of Network Security
Knowledge in SSH and accessing network hardware and configuration via CLI
Hands-on experience with common software and hardware
Good written and verbal communication skills, with a focus on accurate and succinct documentation of all work performed for ticketing purposes and collaborating with team members.
Exceptional customer service skills
Strong attention to detail
Punctual
Able to lift up to 50 lbs without assistance
Available for shift oriented work, in a 24/7 environment, and able to work holidays as needed
Ability to acquire Public High Trust clearance
Reliable means of transportation

COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
Target salary range: $25,001 - $50,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

holy poo poo

I made 20k a year as a bench tech in 1998 working for some small computer store that also involved on-site work for local business contracts. A year after that I was making 32k a year doing tech support for a web hosting company.

I was In Kentucky with nothing more than an A+ certification and no formal CS education.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there a reason why IT or even developer salaries are so low in Canada and Europe? Or does it really matter at the end of the day because honestly as long as I have a decent home and retirement I wouldn't care.

They wonder why they are so high here

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I work at a FAANG because of this thread and the people in it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

the existence of social safety nets

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

As a former American who has been living in Canada for the last 20 years, healthcare here is great in many ways, horrible in others, yet also lacking for everyone. We still have to pay for dental and eye care and such through plans employers provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

the existence of social safety nets

Does it even out well? I mean, if I could afford a decent place in Toronto - like actually in the city - I'd do it.