Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Dummy question from someone not familiar with the M.2 slot and how it works. Thinking about this mobo and am wondering what's with this clause.

quote:

Storage Interface:
CPU: 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_CPU)

Chipset:
- 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_SB)
- 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2Q_SB)

What does the "CPU" thing mean? And what's the difference between the other two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Laughing Zealot posted:

What does the "CPU" thing mean? And what's the difference between the other two?

It's technical stuff that doesn't really matter to you, it just explains how the M.2 channels are divided data lane wise. One is directly supported by the CPU and the other by the chipset of the motherboard but functionally they're all PCIe 4.0 and the same.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Basically, put your main/fastest SSD in the CPU slot because it's technically a bit faster

You probably won't notice the difference, but you may as well

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Quick CPU question:

The CPU that doctor video games recommended starts at 2.6 with 6 cores. It can overclock up to 4.4 I believe but I've never overclocked a processor before. I'm wondering if that's recommended for the build I'm supporting or if 2.6 ghz should be enough to support the games we play today.

If I do need to overclock it, would I be good with a low end cooler and how much will that affect the chip's lifespan?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The vast majority of users don’t have to worry about overclocking and clock speeds on their own are a poor performance metric these days. There’s so much more that goes into a CPU’s overall performance and both Intel and AMD chips have much tighter manufacturing and smarter algorithms that effectively run the chips at the highest speeds they’re safely and consistently capable of without much user intervention. The most important thing is to get a cooler that’s capable of cooling the CPU at whatever it boosts to and for the 11400 I think you were recommended any $30+ cooler would do the job. The Arctic freezer 34 is a good choice.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no no it will boost to 4.4, i think. it will do this on it own so long as it has thermal and power overhead ie it's being adequately cooled and the motherboard isn't trash. that's normal intended behaviour, you can monkey around with it so it will let do that more for longer for performance. for that reason more cooling will provide something of an uplift, particularly in sustained all core loads

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you can maybe overclock it to more than that if you want, that behaviour is going to be pretty typical. but that 4.4 figure is telling you "i'm going to try and hit 4.4 as often as possible and for as long as i can". if you overclock it you can go beyond that, although you can only do that on intel's platform with a model number with a K in it, i think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Merdle posted:

Quick CPU question:

The CPU that doctor video games recommended starts at 2.6 with 6 cores. It can overclock up to 4.4 I believe but I've never overclocked a processor before. I'm wondering if that's recommended for the build I'm supporting or if 2.6 ghz should be enough to support the games we play today.

If I do need to overclock it, would I be good with a low end cooler and how much will that affect the chip's lifespan?

4.4 isn't its overclock limit, but something called the "max boost clock." This is something that's handled automatically by the processor out of the box. It will attempt to boost up to 4.4GHz on its own, with some limits set by Intel. Boosting up that high consumes more power and makes the CPU hotter, so intel will (by default) have the CPU do so for limited periods of time only, with other limits based on CPU temperature and power draw. You can remove the power draw and time limits in the BIOS, but not the temperature one (you wouldn't want to do that one). This wouldn't be overclocking, per se. You can do that too, but it's much more inefficient.

This generally won't affect the chip's lifespan much as long as you keep it cool. I don't know if you missed my other post, but yeah, with an i5 processor you're typically good with a cheaper $30 - $40 cooler. I wouldn't stick with Intel's stock cooler.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Awesome! Thanks for all the help and clarifications. I'll keep my eyes open this weekend and maybe pick them up if I see a good deal. Otherwise it looks like I'm set for a while.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: I wrote another wall of text again, oh no. I promise that I'll try to be more concise with my advice, eventually.

I like your posts, please post as much or as little as you want

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3060 Ti prebuilt for $1400: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali568/p/N82E16883360198?quicklink=true

Now that we are two generations removed from the 10400, I'm a bit less excited to see it continue showing up in prebuilts, but at least it's cheap for a 3060 Ti PC, and it should still do 1440p gaming pretty well. I'd replace the fans and CPU cooler though with this arctic p12 5-pack and the arctic freezer 34. (go Team Arctic?) Even with that case, I bet it would run pretty fast, cool, and quiet.

edit: Though, lest we lose perspective on things...

$1500 for a similar PC built with a scalped GPU, but with better cooling, a better CPU, faster RAM, a bigger SSD, and a better case. So... $1400 prebuilts with a 3060 Ti and a 10400 are not actually a very good deal considering it's about equivalent to paying a scalper for a GPU. But at least everything is warrantied and supported?

(oh yeah, and add $15 for a windows key too if you need one. also no wifi, but there are similarly priced boards that have it)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 25, 2021

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Glad someone is keeping track, I have resigned myself to remaining in the fetal position during waking hours.

Where do you get a Windows key for $15 btw?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

Glad someone is keeping track, I have resigned myself to remaining in the fetal position during waking hours.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pvt. Parts posted:

I got mine from Lodge North in SA Mart (linked above). Took less than 30 minutes to get my key. I will never give Gates another dollar.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I finally caved and bought a second M.2 drive since Newegg has 1TB WD Blue SN550 drives for like ~$70, but... I lost the M2 screw for the slot on the back of my motherboard

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The sooner the screwless m.2 slots become standard the better

Or maybe they'll always be gated behind fancier motherboards just as additional incentive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think I regret overly focusing on minimizing my budget. If I was buying now, I would more seriously consider a 5800X since you can get them for close to $300 even outside Microcenter (though part of that is price hindsight I didn't have). Especially with all the good B550 sales I passed up, it might have only been a $100 difference (compared to the $350 I spent on a 11600K + Z590).

Idk, I'm probably overthinking things because it's the first time in a while I'm "treating myself" to a bigger expense I don't really need, and I feel obligated to make sure I'm spending my money right.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, the 5600X performs as well/better in gaming and if you are doing any kind of video production you are going to want a 5900X or 5950X. The 5800X sits in a no man's land of performance. It's not bad, by any means, it's just not better in gaming to justify the price increase over the 5600X or powerful enough to say it's a value CPU for entry-level production.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Don't feel too bad, there is always the 3d v-cache variants early next year that will also use AM4. I plan on replacing my 5600x with a 5800/5900 3dv when they become available.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

The 5800X at $300 is a pretty screamin' deal. I bought mine at launch for $450 but have no regrets, it's a great chip, despite it's weird placement in the stack

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

The sooner the screwless m.2 slots become standard the better

Or maybe they'll always be gated behind fancier motherboards just as additional incentive

Personally not a fan of stuff like this.

It’s a failure point that would require a whole motherboard replacement in exchange for a relatively painless single screw to take in and out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought the 5800X might be a good idea because it's got the core count of current gen consoles.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Personally not a fan of stuff like this.

It’s a failure point that would require a whole motherboard replacement in exchange for a relatively painless single screw to take in and out.

As far as I can see, it's just designed around a plastic clip that replaces the need for a screw and the potential for 'failure' is losing the clip, which looks just as replaceable as replacing m.2 screws.

Rinkles posted:

I thought the 5800X might be a good idea because it's got the core count of current gen consoles.

I think the new gen of consoles only use 7 of those cores for gaming, and also they're based on Zen 2 architecture. The 5600x is a much better gaming CPU than the 3700x which is the most similar processor to whats in the Series X and PS5. It's extremely unlikely that games of this gen will ever be so reliant on 1 extra core enough to render all of the generational improvements of the 5600x moot.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Rinkles posted:

Idk, I'm probably overthinking things because it's the first time in a while I'm "treating myself" to a bigger expense I don't really need, and I feel obligated to make sure I'm spending my money right.

This goes for almost anything, but don't go shopping for stuff that you've already bought. Prices for equivalent components are always going to go down (yes, except GPU's right now, shaddap), so you could play the "maybe I should have" game for days. Sure, let it inform your next purchase perhaps, but what you've got right now is solid for a reasonable price, and in the current tech space that's already saying a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. Helps to hear that from someone else.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The insane prices of GPUs just has me consider ordering a SteamDeck instead. Sure it wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful, but it will be powerful enough to run heavy hitting titles and more than enough to run indie games and non-AAA titles.

Even the highest end SteamDeck will cost less than MSRP of a decent video card.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I put the five dollar preorder reservation down just in case I decide I do want one/haven’t bought anew system yet when the time does come

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first generation Steam Deck is going to have all kinds of problems. And Valve doesn't have a good history with hardware and seem to give up on everything. I'm really excited about it but I'd wait until people have owned them a while.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The steam deck's main purpose for me was stopping me from shilling out for a needless OLED switch upgrade when I saw how much more contemporary tech it's possible to fit in a handheld device for a similar price.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The first generation Steam Deck is going to have all kinds of problems. And Valve doesn't have a good history with hardware and seem to give up on everything. I'm really excited about it but I'd wait until people have owned them a while.

Honestly agree with all this and mostly put down the $5 reservation fee in a fit of unjustified optimism.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Hi guys, new PC arrived today. It's a very clean build and I'm happy with it. Thing is - I'm not clear on how to add the 2.5" SSDs I've taken out of my old system. I've identified where the SATA connectors are on the motherboard and I suppose I'll need to carry over the cables from my previous PC, but I'm not sure how I connect power to them. I think my PSU is hidden.

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F
Case: Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nexus6 posted:

Hi guys, new PC arrived today. It's a very clean build and I'm happy with it. Thing is - I'm not clear on how to add the 2.5" SSDs I've taken out of my old system. I've identified where the SATA connectors are on the motherboard and I suppose I'll need to carry over the cables from my previous PC, but I'm not sure how I connect power to them. I think my PSU is hidden.

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F
Case: Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW

Unless the newer SATA cables run power and data through the same cord, that's a good question. Definitely open the other side if you haven't.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

That looks great, I didn't know I could just use 1 cable per drive. I was using 2 each in my last PC, can I buy these or do they only work on specific drives? For reference I'd like to add 2 Crucial MX500s

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone help me choose between these two prebuilt options?

Lenovo Legion T5: https://www.komplett.ie/lenovo-legion-t5-90rc00h0mh/80060910/product

Lenovo Legion T7i: https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/Lenovo-Legion-T7-34IMZ5/p/99LE9700365

They're both pretty much the same price. Both have an RTX 3070. T5 has a better processor (Ryzen 5800), 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD BUT has a bronze rated 550 Watt PSU. T7i has a worse processor (i7-10700K), less ram (16GB) and less storage (500GB) but has a 650W Gold rated PSU.

I'm worried the 550W PSU would cause issues with the 3070.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nexus6 posted:

That looks great, I didn't know I could just use 1 cable per drive. I was using 2 each in my last PC, can I buy these or do they only work on specific drives? For reference I'd like to add 2 Crucial MX500s

I'm as lost as you are, I don't know if single cord sata is a thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That is not a thing. Access the PSU and drive mount locations by opening the other panel.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Entropy238 posted:

Lenovo Legion T5: https://www.komplett.ie/lenovo-legion-t5-90rc00h0mh/80060910/product

Lenovo Legion T7i: https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/Lenovo-Legion-T7-34IMZ5/p/99LE9700365

They're both pretty much the same price. Both have an RTX 3070. T5 has a better processor (Ryzen 5800), 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD BUT has a bronze rated 550 Watt PSU. T7i has a worse processor (i7-10700K), less ram (16GB) and less storage (500GB) but has a 650W Gold rated PSU.

in this country i would say buy it, use the existing PSU for as long as you are in warranty and if you need to at end of play switch it out, if an OEM pc dies in warranty for whatever reason they'll be on the hook. i can't find warranty information on that page which suggests the consumer protection laws different?

i think 550w is within recommended spec but if so, just fwiw.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Entropy238 posted:

I've seen people build 3090 machines with 600W PSUs. 550 is less than I'd use, but it should be okay.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I got a bag with a bunch of cables, I've found SATA & power so just gotta plug 'em in I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Posting this in the hopes it will spare someone the pain I just went through.

If you buy a Phanteks Eclipse P400A case remember to connect that mysterious "SATA" power connector hiding on the reverse side of case. That's what provides power to the case fans.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to consider trying that, and even longer to add a SATA power cable to my PSU. (I convinced myself it would be faster to jam my hand in there and just plug it in than to dismount the PSU and do it the easy way. I was wrong.)