Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

leftist heap posted:

It's a dumbass compromise. All the business groups are already losing their poo poo over it anyway.

also telling that the ndp's "compromise" is weighted more in favour of the "businesses" than workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The BC NDP govern like the Federal Liberals more than anything else.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If the policy agenda is set by merely being more left than whoever is to their right then the NDP branding doesn't mean anything. The way the BC NDP act supports the narrative that there's actually just a red door and a blue door, with the exception being that in BC the red door is coloured orange.

The message for voters in Ontario or federally weighing whether to vote for the NDP or Liberals is that once in government the NDP just behaves as [default not-conservative party] so who cares it doesn't matter who you vote for.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Femtosecond posted:

BC NDP under delivering and bringing in 5 days of sick leave despite having known for weeks and weeks that the Federal government is bringing in 10 days of sick leave for federally regulated work places.

https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/1463601154126848002?s=21

Once again the NDP are out flanked on the left by the Liberals.

Real great labour government we have here in BC.

As a BC gov employee our benefits are incredibly poo poo. We don't even get fully paid sick time, all sick time is paid at 75% which makes it worse than anywhere else I've ever worked

I gotta say I'm shocked that no other provinces has even 5 days minimum sick leave

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

NDP minister tweeting out the "we only have to be better than everyone else" mindset.

https://twitter.com/georgendp/status/1463688713599213573?s=21

Why have any sort of broader policy goals when you just have to clear the low bars set by conservative governments.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Femtosecond posted:

NDP minister tweeting out the "we only have to be better than everyone else" mindset.

https://twitter.com/georgendp/status/1463688713599213573?s=21

Why have any sort of broader policy goals when you just have to clear the low bars set by conservative governments.
You can be sick five times, but it has to be July 17th.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Our police force committed half as many starlight tours as the last :smug:

E: also the greens got a new leader. An expert in black holes (soon to be an expert in electoral black holes).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Aren't the BC Cons a non-entity, so every other party has shifted right to fill the respective void?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

infernal machines posted:

Remember when we killed the Albertan family farm by forcing them to abide by the same labour laws as everyone else?

This is like that.

god I dread the election cycle next year when the UCP is beating that drum like "fast ferries" in BC or "Rae Days" in Ontario. Not to mention the loving media will absolutely push that poo poo in our faces too, god I hate this loving provincecountry some days

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Our police force committed half as many starlight tours as the last :smug:

E: also the greens got a new leader. An expert in black holes (soon to be an expert in electoral black holes).

First transgender leader and non-binary at that, according to CBC.

I hope they keep the party well away from the territory of “Wi-Fi and Nuclear power will give your children aids” or whatever other BC NIMBY bullshit used to plague the party

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ChickenWing posted:

Aren't the BC Cons a non-entity, so every other party has shifted right to fill the respective void?

Sort of, it's more that the old right wing SoCred party collapsed so then all the people in it took over the BC Liberal party.

The current BC Liberal party by the way is basically the federal conservative party, just with (way) more corruption.

The BCNDP grassroots are still really left wing along with a lot of the MLAs, just Horgan himself is pretty classic Rural Boomer and you got all the usual NDP business vultures who settle in once a provincial party takes power

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 25, 2021

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Alctel posted:

The BCNDP grassroots are still really left wing along with a lot of the MLAs, just Horgan himself is pretty classic Rural Boomer and you got all the usual NDP business vultures who settle in once a provincial party takes power

It’s so frustrating. Business owners who are mad about 5 days of paid sick leave were never going to vote for the NDP anyway. Why try to compromise with them, doesn’t it seem more politically savvy to go with the 10 days that would make a larger group of people excited?

I don’t understand this urge that ostensibly “left” parties have to run to the centre. The BC NDP got a majority, who are they thinking this appeals to?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope they keep the party well away from the territory of “Wi-Fi and Nuclear power will give your children aids” or whatever other BC NIMBY bullshit used to plague the party

Yeah, that part is pretty cool. And a background in science too! Shame it's for the green party, but still!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, that part is pretty cool. And a background in science too! Shame it's for the green party, but still!

Why is it a shame? If the Greens have a legitimate leader it's a good thing.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
because the Green party ostensibly exists to champion environmental causes, but their actual environmental dialogue is just as lacking as every other party's (barring the Cons I guess) and they come with tons of libertarian/NIMBY baggage.

I mean a good leader could feasibly change all that around but until then, the Green party are an active hindrance to the actual well-being of Canadians.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Even if business will not vote for them, they can still initiate a capital strike. A lot of the appeasement is done to prevent a capital strike. Bob Rae and Roy Romanow were both effected by capital strikes in the 90s and I think it left a lasting impact on the upper echelon of the NDP that run provincial governments.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

folytopo posted:

Even if business will not vote for them, they can still initiate a capital strike. A lot of the appeasement is done to prevent a capital strike. Bob Rae and Roy Romanow were both effected by capital strikes in the 90s and I think it left a lasting impact on the upper echelon of the NDP that run provincial governments.

Yes, now the policy is preemptive surrender.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1463919326432399360

Well this seems like a perfectly normal and not at all concerning development.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Seems like maybe this is one of those things the RCMP might be expected to do something about, what with it being domestic terrorism and all. These loving clowns have already done all the heavy lifting for them, they don't even need to spend a few mil on another Mr. Big sting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We should be doing something about that

oh well

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why is it a shame? If the Greens have a legitimate leader it's a good thing.

A shame in the sense that it's a shame our first woman PM with Kim loving Campbell. It's progress and I'll take it but ehhhh.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Seems like maybe this is one of those things the RCMP might be expected to do something about, what with it being domestic terrorism and all. These loving clowns have already done all the heavy lifting for them, they don't even need to spend a few mil on another Mr. Big sting.

The RCMP are more politically aligned with her than us

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also has a personal beef with climate change: https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/what-on-earth-amita-kuttner-bc-mudslides-1.6262575

quote:

Q: What happened in January of 2005?

A: I was away at boarding school in California, which is the only reason I survived. It was about 3:30 in the morning on Jan. 19, after days and days of rain, which I found out years later was an atmospheric river. And I had gotten an email from my mother the night before that actually said that the basement was flooding. And at 3:30 in the morning, the hillside came crashing down onto my house, through my parents' bedroom, and killed my mother.… My dad happened to be in the bathtub at the time, because he'd been up late cleaning the basement. They'd fallen asleep. He managed to stand up, and so he got transported down the hill and stayed alive, amazingly, [though] smashed to pieces. But alive. What had caused the mudslide was a bit complicated. There was an illegal pond, I believe, installed at the property above, and fill had been added, which exacerbated the mudslide risk. But there was actually a known risk of mudslides for that slope, and technically … there shouldn't have been a development there in the first place.

They sound much more interesting than Paul, which means they'll never be elected official leader.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

ChickenDoodle posted:

They sound much more interesting than Paul, which means they'll never be elected official leader.

I think by agreeing to be interim leader they also agreed not to run for the leadership (pretty standard in Canadian politics). The CBC article mentioned that Paul Manly was assumed to be the interim leader but pulled out, presumably to run for leader later. I absolutely agree with the sentiment though, I know a few Greens and none of them were excited for Paul.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mad Hamish posted:

https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1463919326432399360

Well this seems like a perfectly normal and not at all concerning development.

huh I am somewhat surprised that her hold on people held up after the prophesized Trump invasion of Canada / her installation as queen never took place.

This gets her arrested for sure right? I don't think it's legal anywhere to call for an identifiable group of people to be assassinated.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Starsfan posted:

This gets her arrested for sure right? I don't think it's legal anywhere to call for an identifiable group of people to be assassinated.

Someone with jurisdiction would have to care to enforce the law, so I'd say about even odds.

I don't know if you've noticed, but they can just not do that. They can straight up ignore it until some people get killed.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 26, 2021

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Starsfan posted:

huh I am somewhat surprised that her hold on people held up after the prophesized Trump invasion of Canada / her installation as queen never took place.

Every single dumbshit that follows her is completely detached from reality and primed to accept things on faith. Why would that affect their opinion of her after caught in an obvious lie

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mercury posted:

Every single dumbshit that follows her is completely detached from reality and primed to accept things on faith. Why would that affect their opinion of her after caught in an obvious lie

Historically in these kinds of movements, prophecies failing to come true only strengthen people's faith.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Historically in these kinds of movements, prophecies failing to come true only strengthen people's faith.

Exactly :smith:

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 26, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's a Romulan dildo and why is it pretending as queen?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
... Do they have a website? If so, could it qualify as an awful site-of-the-day submission? After all, the front page has not been updated in quite some time...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

I'm sure we're all aware, but cops are pretty much the sole arbiters of what crimes get investigated and what charges are laid in most cases. Which isn't a problem unless the majority of them sympathize with these psychopaths and despise a huge chunk of the population for merely existing.

Uh oh!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Starsfan posted:

Unfortunately the RCMP are on her side so they'll just do nothing.
If this 'movement' ends up killing someone we'll get a lot of "No one could have seen this coming!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I know the clow parade of bad UCP news can become fatiguing, but this one is pretty hosed up.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion...2slb4qTeuoS_sFg

UCP are basically rigging it so they can have unlimited corporate contributions, and all the unions and NGOs that have been criticizing their buffoonery cannot speak against them during the election.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Powershift posted:

I know the clow parade of bad UCP news can become fatiguing, but this one is pretty hosed up.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion...2slb4qTeuoS_sFg

UCP are basically rigging it so they can have unlimited corporate contributions, and all the unions and NGOs that have been criticizing their buffoonery cannot speak against them during the election.

Super excited for the protracted court battle that wastes tens of thousands of dollars to fight what seems like pretty blatantly an unconstitutional law

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Super excited for the protracted court battle that wastes tens of thousands of dollars to fight what seems like pretty blatantly an unconstitutional law

Wasn't the similar Ontario law ruled constitutional recently?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Arivia posted:

Wasn't the similar Ontario law ruled constitutional recently?

No, they used the not-withstanding clause.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

EngineerJoe posted:

The two greatest words in the failson despot's vocabulary.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

Gross, gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

And of all the things to have used it on...

They threatened to when Toronto fought them unilaterally halving city council in the middle of an election, but it turns out that was entirely legal to do.