Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah lol I just beat the diet building boss and I'm pretty sure I'm massively over leveled. I haven't played a JRPG in a good while though so I'm really enjoying just grinding it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man I thought I was overleveled for the end boss of the second area (level 40) but barely made it by the skin of my teeth... gonna need to start going into these battles with a full backup team just for the sake of MP it feels like, it constantly feels like I'm running out. Bit stingy imo but whatever, there are ways to mitigate it, I'm just lazy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm enjoying this game a lot!

Do I need to aim for a particular build for the main character? Right now I'm spreading things around evenly, but should I eventually just focus on physical or magic?

I remember hearing about something in the older games where you have to keep a fairy or something for the whole game to get something at the end. Anything like this in V, or do I just fuze away?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't know if there's a starting pixie check but I ended up fusing mine into my favorite demon and I'm dumping every single stat item I get into it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I remember hearing about something in the older games where you have to keep a fairy or something for the whole game to get something at the end. Anything like this in V, or do I just fuze away?

I don’t know if there’s anything similar in 5 but in 3 you didn’t have to keep the pixie as a pixie, you just had to remember what she ended up as. So I doubt you have anything to worry about either way

At least that’s how it worked in the remaster

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Do I need to aim for a particular build for the main character? Right now I'm spreading things around evenly, but should I eventually just focus on physical or magic?

I would probably aim for a specific thing to focus on but honestly in this game you get stat increases from level up besides just the bonus point, plus there are stat increasing items that are rare but you get quite a few from Miman rewards and sidequests. I don't think it's really possible to totally screw yourself over build wise.

The only stat I would recommend not neglecting at all is Agility as it affects your initiative when starting battles.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Thanks amigos. Any of the abilities I should prioritize? I assume demon skill slots

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Thanks amigos. Any of the abilities I should prioritize? I assume demon skill slots

If you mean miracles, ya skill slots for yourself and demons and roster slots.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Finn just whipped my rear end. I love how bosses are smart enough to strategize around your null skills when using their magatsuhi critical attacks.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Got his rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the 3rd zones really owns and I'm starting to be able to fuse some truly powerful demons + have the skill slots to really diversify options. Continue to be blown away at how fun this game is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is anyone using any of the Magatsuhi skills other than the starting crit one? It's just too good. I haven't run the numbers but even the Freikugel one doesn't seem as worth it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is anyone using any of the Magatsuhi skills other than the starting crit one? It's just too good. I haven't run the numbers but even the Freikugel one doesn't seem as worth it

Accursed poison is mega good. It lets you even, Area3 spoilers, beat fully powered up Ishtar with it

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 25, 2021

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Not really. Freikugal one is going to maybe do 1500 damage but if you have everyone using charge/concentrate before popping crit one you're looking at 10k+ damage across your turns.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I gotta say, status effects are way better in this game. The amount of times they've saved my rear end is insane.. plus if you get the MP recovery ability when landing a successful effect it's basically free.

Makajam is my favorite so far. They can't do poo poo with sealed skills, and it works like 80% of the time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I gotta say, status effects are way better in this game. The amount of times they've saved my rear end is insane.. plus if you get the MP recovery ability when landing a successful effect it's basically free.

Makajam is my favorite so far. They can't do poo poo with sealed skills, and it works like 80% of the time

I really like the new (maybe? I don't remember them in past games) phys skills that are super strong when the enemy is suffering from a status effect, you can make demons hyper focused on dealing crazy damage to sleeping enemies and poo poo it's cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of ignored status effects for the first couple of areas but I've used them to completely clown a couple of abscess bosses now so definitely going to use them more going forward. Just as I dump my Daisoujou and lose Preach of course lol

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm only early on but I like the Jaki one that puts three turns of full Debilitate on enemies, nice for for boss battles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cardinale posted:

I'm only early on but I like the Jaki one that puts three turns of full Debilitate on enemies, nice for for boss battles

this one and the debilitate + a guaranteed status effect is cool. I've also used the all party MP regen. The demon specific ones have more specific utility but sometimes they've been lifesavers, I dig it. Definitely would use a lot more variety if the All Crit option didn't exist. Maybe a fun NG+ restriction

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

white rider is kicking my rear end

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pale rider hosed my poo poo up

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

white rider kicks rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Very tempted to just fill my MC's skill slots with every flavour of Dracostrike lol. Gonna keep Kannabi Veil and maybe uh Sakanagi and Divine Arrowfall? I dunno. Too many cool skills

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Getting my rear end kicked by a midboss in area 3...he's so powerful

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Getting my rear end kicked by a midboss in area 3...he's so powerful

Yakumo? Exactly where I am lol, he has so much health I got him down to red and he immediately double critted my mc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yakumo? Exactly where I am lol, he has so much health I got him down to red and he immediately double critted my mc

Yup lol. Feel like it'd be way more manageable with some phys dampeners, but I don't have any

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I've got him down to red a couple of times but he keeps getting crits and dodging my attacks.

I see at level 46 you can fuse a couple of phys resist demons that won't be one shot constantly so you can keep 2 of them in the party and rotate in Dark attackers so they can't all die on the same turn.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, if you go to the spot in Area 2 where you fight the Loup-Garou, your quest nav should dig you up some phys dampners. I'm 90% sure those respawn.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Frenz posted:

I've got him down to red a couple of times but he keeps getting crits and dodging my attacks.

I see at level 46 you can fuse a couple of phys resist demons that won't be one shot constantly so you can keep 2 of them in the party and rotate in Dark attackers so they can't all die on the same turn.

Yoshitsune is super good for this fight and in general.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kild posted:

I've been thinking of fusing him, just not really sure what skills to give him

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

essences mean this matters so much less at initial fusion, it kicks rear end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its easier than ever to tune your team 100% perfect for a tough fight but also theres way more tough fights that require you to think a fight through and plan out your team instead of just rolling in with whatever and kickin rear end. this game fuckin rocks

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Almost every boss kills me... But they only ever kill me once. Round one is just for me to chuck a spyglass and see what I'm up against. Learning through pain. Then I chew some essences and shovel a few demons together and I roll back in and cream them.

Edit: sometimes you just get lucky though, there was an Abscess fight with a bunch of Narcissus (Narcissi?) and my entire team was immune to force. Those fuckers couldn't do anything to me.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 27, 2021

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

charge, hassou tobi, you're good

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

My Yoshitsune is in the 90s now and he only has two active skills, Hassou Tobi and Impaler's Animus. The rest are all passives.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

just all passives and pierce breaker in case I need to refresh the def debuff for me so far.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Kild posted:

Yeah I just destroyed him after leveling to 46 with Yoshitsune, Belphagor and a healer. I didn't see electric dampers mentioned earlier but they will make him waste his magatsuhi charge

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I feel like I'm gonna end up keeping Aramasa the entire game, unless there's a straight upgrade to it at some point. I don't see anything beating an 8x crit proc chance, ever. There's a reason hassou tobi is one of the best skills in the series

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

charge, hassou tobi, you're good

I gave him dark resistance to cover his only weakness too, fused it on from Power. And gave him some Dracostrikes lol

Is it me or is charge/concentrate not as good in this game? I feel like it gives less than double the damage, still good for MP conservation I guess but getting into less worth it territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I haven’t really bothered with them past the first little bit of the game and with restore et al haven’t even felt the need for them for mp conservation. I do sometimes have a healer/support use the donum skills on my big hitters for the big damage though