Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

well I'm a practicing lawyer

Have you considered not doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I dunno, guys, gals, and non-binary pals, seems to me being a lawyer might be one of the things being in law school is in fact an improvement from. Just make sure those scholarships aren't gpa-linked, young man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

Have you considered not doing that?

This

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Law school was fun, I enjoyed it, and sometimes get nostalgic about it, but I much prefer knowing what the gently caress I’m doing and getting paid to do it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

First time you got laid huh?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

First time you got laid huh?

:golfclap:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Curious to know what people think about this. Short version is: dad assaults daughter at age two, served three years in jail. She dies at 18 to causes associated with the injuries she sustained, he's now charged with murder.

I get the reasoning behind charging him, but I think something about the gap between the assault and her death just doesn't sit quite right with me, 16 years is a long time. But like I say, curious about what others think, open to changing my mind.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

Curious to know what people think about this. Short version is: dad assaults daughter at age two, served three years in jail. She dies at 18 to causes associated with the injuries she sustained, he's now charged with murder.

I get the reasoning behind charging him, but I think something about the gap between the assault and her death just doesn't sit quite right with me, 16 years is a long time. But like I say, curious about what others think, open to changing my mind.

At first I was mad so I thought, "gently caress him, go back to jail bitch." but upon further review, unless she's been like, on life support for 16 years and they finally pulled the plug, then it's hard to imagine the Assault directly causing the death, in a conceptual way that feels fair in other, less emotionally charged, hypotheticals

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Seems like maybe you should get harsher punishment for giving a toddler a TBI???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think a lot of jurisdictions have a one-year time limit for that sort of after-resulting effects.

I feel the bigger issue is he's already been tried and sentenced on that assault and this is, while technically a different offense, an different offense with many overlapping elements.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think a lot of jurisdictions have a one-year time limit for that sort of after-resulting effects.

I feel the bigger issue is he's already been tried and sentenced on that assault and this is, while technically a different offense, an different offense with many overlapping elements.

The "year and a day" rule was common law based on medical technology more than two centuries ago. Rogers v. Tennesse has upheld abolishing it. California for instance has a rebuttable presumption against the death being criminal if it occurs more than three years after, which seems like a better way to go. I don't know what the law is in Australia but if it's along those lines of rebuttable presumption I don't have a problem with it.

In this case the kid got a TBI as a very young child and has been in hospice as a direct result for it for the past several years. Understanding of brain injuries is something that has increased quite a lot in the past few decades. There's still quite a lot of room for error in the science, but that's why rebuttable presumption seems fair to me.

I don't have any issue with this case going to trial on those facts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SlothBear posted:

In this case the kid got a TBI as a very young child and has been in hospice as a direct result for it for the past several years. Understanding of brain injuries is something that has increased quite a lot in the past few decades. There's still quite a lot of room for error in the science, but that's why rebuttable presumption seems fair to me.

If we're going to apply modern understanding of neuroscience to the law, then we need to start abolishing the whole notion of criminal culpability. That sword must cut both ways. The lead-crime hypothesis alone throws a gigantic wrench in the whole concept of personal culpability period; if the clean air act did more to reduce crime than the entire DOJ did over the same timeframe -- and it provably did, at least to a high degree of confidence -- then people's decisions don't cause crime, brain damage does, and locking people up over it in punishment makes about as much sense as the deodand.

Like, hell, 95% of the clients I've had on indecent exposure charges, there was a documentable TBI in their history (the other 5% either I couldn't document it or they were just so drunk they had no concept of reality). If we start updating the criminal law to reflect modern neuroscience the entire edifice collapses and no one is provably guilty of anything because virtually every criminal defendant has a broken brain.

I realize I'm basically throwing over the table here and not arguing based on anything approaching our current law anywhere in the world. Nevertheless,

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 24, 2021

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Whitlam posted:

It could change the charge I guess, but all other factors being equal, doesn't seem clear to me there should be a very large difference for sentencing someone who causes injury leading to that degree of injury versus just outright killing them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When I was in law school there was a similar case out of England, and the guy was successfully convicted and sentenced to a few more years in prison. I mean, it does sort of fall alongside the 'brittle bones' concept, you gotta take your plaintiff/victim as they are.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

terrorist ambulance posted:

It could change the charge I guess, but all other factors being equal, doesn't seem clear to me there should be a very large difference for sentencing someone who causes injury leading to that degree of injury versus just outright killing them.

Yeah I mean I'd be fine with that, but my hang up is her death 16 years later, and additional charge after original completed jail term. I mean I get there's an argument to be made saying "morally, it doesn't matter if they die five minutes after your actions or fifty years" but like I say, in this instance, 16 year years later and after an original (insufficient) sentence is... ehhh.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Law School is fun if you do it the right way.

have someone else pay for it

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Yeah I mean I'd be fine with that, but my hang up is her death 16 years later, and additional charge after original completed jail term. I mean I get there's an argument to be made saying "morally, it doesn't matter if they die five minutes after your actions or fifty years" but like I say, in this instance, 16 year years later and after an original (insufficient) sentence is... ehhh.

Well yeah. There's actually two issues here you're putting a finger on.

Major point: how do you handle a criminal act that has repercussions long after the fact?

Minor point: at what point does double jeopardy apply to such a case.

To my mind this comes down to legislation.

For the first point, in Norway the domestic abuse statute has a wording to deal with this specifically, wherein if the DV incident causes lasting harm or death he'd be looking at possibly 15 years at tge outset, which yeah if she was in hospice for 16 years after the crime he'd be welcome to the full stretch in my opinion. And a couple of other things besides. So just from the medical facts he'd get close to 2/3rds of a full murder sentence in the original conviction.

That said, even if he were convicted for the wrong thing (violence) double jeopardy wouldn't apply to a murder case within the statute of limitations (25 years) if there's a causal link. Unless Zolotukhin V. Russia applies. Which it might, which is why we changed all our violence statutes to include lasting damage and death.

Now, if you didn't have a specific statute so murder in dv is just murder, and the death is causally linked (which I would accept if she was in hospice her whole remaining life), and the death isn't past statute of limitations, and it isn't double jeopardy, then the guy graduated to murderer when she died and he should be convicted of murder. Depending on how you handle concurrence he could get time served for the dv or not.

Imo

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well yeah. There's actually two issues here you're putting a finger on.

Major point: how do you handle a criminal act that has repercussions long after the fact?

Minor point: at what point does double jeopardy apply to such a case.

To my mind this comes down to legislation.

For the first point, in Norway the domestic abuse statute has a wording to deal with this specifically, wherein if the DV incident causes lasting harm or death he'd be looking at possibly 15 years at tge outset, which yeah if she was in hospice for 16 years after the crime he'd be welcome to the full stretch in my opinion. And a couple of other things besides. So just from the medical facts he'd get close to 2/3rds of a full murder sentence in the original conviction.

That said, even if he were convicted for the wrong thing (violence) double jeopardy wouldn't apply to a murder case within the statute of limitations (25 years) if there's a causal link. Unless Zolotukhin V. Russia applies. Which it might, which is why we changed all our violence statutes to include lasting damage and death.

Now, if you didn't have a specific statute so murder in dv is just murder, and the death is causally linked (which I would accept if she was in hospice her whole remaining life), and the death isn't past statute of limitations, and it isn't double jeopardy, then the guy graduated to murderer when she died and he should be convicted of murder. Depending on how you handle concurrence he could get time served for the dv or not.

Imo

imagine changing legislation to comply with ECHR jurisprudence
what a joke

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Law School is fun if you do it the right way.

have someone else pay for it

With all the possibilities for that spoiler tag, you really went with the latest (but most honest, I guess) option.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

With all the possibilities for that spoiler tag, you really went with the latest (but most honest, I guess) option.

Traveling pants don’t pay for themselves

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey thread. Long time first time.

I graduated from undergrad in May 2007. 4.0 gpa at a large state school. My June 2021 LSAT was a 180. I have received a scholarship offer from Cal and Stanford for full ride. I'm in at Harvard with no money, and Yale hasn't responded.

Should I bother going at this point?

Go to law school*

*Go to law school

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 26, 2021

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

TheMadMilkman posted:

:jewish:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I thought I was all set on my CLEs but apparently I also have to watch an hour-long video about not being an alcoholic/coke fiend/depressed/etc.

Buddy,

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Still doing DARE huh?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Take a shot every time you're bored.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
at least like half the CLEs i have watched have been about dealing with substance abuse, mental illness, and not killing yourself

i did not get help because of a CLE

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EwokEntourage posted:

at least like half the CLEs i have watched have been about dealing with substance abuse, mental illness, and not killing yourself

i did not get help because of a CLE

If anything having to watch CLE‘s are more likely to lead to those things.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bonus bonuses again

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/12/davis-polk-bonuses-21/

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

I'm getting a company vest. This isn't a stock compensation joke. We're literally getting vests.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

I'm getting a company vest. This isn't a stock compensation joke. We're literally getting vests.

I got one of those as a win bonus once. I’d have preferred 0.01% of the money we saved them by winning, personally.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

Hey those Paragonia vests are nice!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean I'm wearing my p nice firm hoodie right now (it's one of the ones that's all fuzzy inside), and I like it, but I don't in-lieu-of-many-dollars like it.

Aka you bought my life, now pay up.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Vox Nihili posted:

I thought I was all set on my CLEs but apparently I also have to watch an hour-long video about not being an alcoholic/coke fiend/depressed/etc.

Buddy,

OTOH that hour really flies by if you're drinking, gambling, and doing bong rips.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Unamuno posted:

OTOH that hour really flies by if you're drinking, gambling, and doing bong rips.

Confirmed.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
shoulda done more bong rips, less drinking

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

EwokEntourage posted:

Thread title!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EwokEntourage posted:

I think I do still need one substance abuse CLE for my next renewal, any recs for good ones to watch high?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JohnCompany posted:

I think I do still need one substance abuse CLE for my next renewal, any recs for good ones to watch high?

Just buy the cheap ones! That said they often have a ton of substance abuse related ones and occasionally ones with funny titles.

https://www.attorneycredits.com/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

The one I watched featured a former alcoholic/meth addict and I he sounded maaaaybe not quite sober throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I will never not find it funny that you people have to do CLEs about substance abuse
I will also never not find it funny (and sad) that CLE is the tool of choice for the profession to deploy against substance abuse