Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

knulla posted:

How would my children get hurt from not taking the covid vaccine? Are you... are you actually suggesting they're gonna get hurt by covid? Are you for real? LOL!!!

As I've said upthread, I'm extremely pro vaccine. I'm pro SAFE vaccine. The way we have created the dozens of safe vaccines that have been injected into my and your kids' veins is via a social and cultural process of rigorous, long-term study of new vaccine formulations, generally taking ~10 years. We have thrown away the safe vaccine playbook for the covid vaccines, which again is a cultural technology, and so I am not injecting my kids with this.

Hilarious you're so deluded you think this poses a risk to my children. I'm sorry you've been so misinformed.

You're making medical decisions based on a soccer subreddit thread you saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really like "your kids are gonna get expunged from the genepool from covid" best of all.

Goons are either really misinformed about this or really dumb. Maybe both?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

knulla posted:

I really like "your kids are gonna get expunged from the genepool from covid" best of all.

Goons are either really misinformed about this or really dumb. Maybe both?

It *really* seems like it's both

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

NecroBob posted:

Come join us in the GBS thread. Somehow it's the better moderated thread between the two, because you can just ridicule JAQing off horseshit instead of having to treat it as Serious Good Faith Effortposting. For the Nth time around.

the gbs version of every thread gbs and D&D have copies of is the better one because gbs mods don't wear an electrical collar that shocks them every time they dare to probate people instead of letting antivaxx horsecrap flow freely

zhar
May 3, 2019

I was trying to find out about the sports thing and found this channel dedicated to cataloguing cardiac arrest in sports articles. Hope this helps.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

zhar posted:

I was trying to find out about the sports thing and found this channel dedicated to cataloguing cardiac arrest in sports articles. Hope this helps.

dios myocarditis!

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

knulla posted:

Sports circles is really hard to understand? How about the soccer subreddit for the first time today having active, upvoted comment threads about the vaccines having some role to play in all these young, healthy soccer players dying. Have you not heard about this at all? I'm guessing most here would throw this away as some stupid conservative conspiracy theory, but deaths are pretty hard to hide and it's becoming painfully obvious something is amiss.

I have lived in 5 states (well, currently live in 2 states) and have joined parenting groups in each--sometimes multiple groups. I generally don't depart once I move again because I enjoy the other parents in the groups. Not really that hard to understand. Don't need a lot of kids to understand this.

Thanks for addressing my most pertinent concerns. Now how about

Castaign posted:

Snarkiness aside, can you back these claims up? How certain are the health professionals that these are reactions to the vaccines? Cause, lots of people - even young kids - end up in the hospital all the time for various reasons.

Snarkiness not aside, this really sounds a lot like these kids were hospitalized with the vaccine, not because of the vaccine. Because, uh, three eighths of kids having hospitalization-level reactions to the vaccine sounds like the sort of thing that would make the news. Somewhere. At some level.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

You're making medical decisions based on a soccer subreddit thread you saw

You can laugh all you want, but reddit is vastly more pro-vaccine and much more heavily moderated than this place, so when the mask slips there it's indicative that the gigantic amount of corporate and governmental pressure necessary to maintain the narrative that the vaccines are perfectly, perfectly safe--ZERO ISSUES NOTHING TO SEE HERE--is starting to become overcome by people finally catching on.

And I guess you're just not aware, but over there across the pond all these footballers are just like dying on the field in the middle of games. At first the media gaslit everyone saying "ITS TOTALLY NORMAL FOR 28 YEAR OLD PEOPLE REPRESENTING HUMANITY'S PEAK HEALTH DIE ON LIVE TV!" And now it's becoming so frequent it's impossible to spin that way.

I'm sure this is all easy for you to ignore--your mind is made up, no evidence could move you away from "100% cocksure" to even "somewhat certain".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

knulla posted:

You can laugh all you want, but reddit

lmao I will laugh thank you

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Castaign posted:

Thanks for addressing my most pertinent concerns. Now how about

Because, uh, three eighths of kids having hospitalization-level reactions to the vaccine sounds like the sort of thing that would make the news.

You're clearly not understanding my very simple premise. I am a member of 8 parenting groups spanning 5 states, because I moved a lot and I live in 2 states now. These groups have MANY parents, and each parent has one or more child. So these groups represent some hundreds of children.

In three of these groups, which started off universally pro-vaxx, some parent posted some pics of their poor children in the hospital. In every case it was a young boy hospitalized with heart problems that were immediately or closely preceded by the child getting the vaccine.

This has caused consternation and much cognitive dissonance within these groups.

So, not 3/8s of children. 3 cases out of hundreds of children.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

knulla posted:

How would my children get hurt from not taking the covid vaccine? Are you... are you actually suggesting they're gonna get hurt by covid? Are you for real? LOL!!!

As I've said upthread, I'm extremely pro vaccine. I'm pro SAFE vaccine. The way we have created the dozens of safe vaccines that have been injected into my and your kids' veins is via a social and cultural process of rigorous, long-term study of new vaccine formulations, generally taking ~10 years. We have thrown away the safe vaccine playbook for the covid vaccines, which again is a cultural technology, and so I am not injecting my kids with this.

Hilarious you're so deluded you think this poses a risk to my children. I'm sorry you've been so misinformed.

Obviously you're definitely not an anti-vaxxer, I wouldn't dare suggest that! But just so you know....your writing style is very very similar to what I read on any anti-vax meme or post I happen across.

knulla posted:

No I wasn't. And it's not really even a response to what I wrote...I guess you didn't understand. Also, the performative hysterical disbelief thing is painfully cringy. Especially when you've misunderstood what you're responding too!

You can read what I posted again if you like or I can dumb it down for you?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A few years back I had a very friendly gentleman in an English pub try to convince me that English soccer stars kept dropping dead on the field because it let the clubs replace them with cheaper footballers from sub-saharan Africa.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But yes, please make sure you guys all continue acting as if questioning the logic of vaccinating children with a novel vaccine for a disease that they're basically immune to already is the same as proposing we genocide the Ukranians.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

knulla posted:

But yes, please make sure you guys all continue acting as if questioning the logic of vaccinating children with a novel vaccine for a disease that they're basically immune to already is the same as proposing we genocide the Ukranians.

what

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

knulla posted:

In every case it was a young boy hospitalized with heart problems that were immediately or closely preceded by the child getting the vaccine.

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying! I take it all back, as correlation definitely equals causation!

Out of curiosity, were there maybe chemtrails in the sky before the cardiac hospitalization? Did the kids maybe not take any LiveStrong essential oils that week? What was their Zodiac sign?

/just asking questions, just trying to figure all this stuff out - i'm a very rational, very concerned person, and i really encourage everyone to do their own research

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Illuminti posted:

Obviously you're definitely not an anti-vaxxer, I wouldn't dare suggest that! But just so you know....your writing style is very very similar to what I read on any anti-vax meme or post I happen across.

No I wasn't. And it's not really even a response to what I wrote...I guess you didn't understand. Also, the performative hysterical disbelief thing is painfully cringy. Especially when you've misunderstood what you're responding too!

You can read what I posted again if you like or I can dumb it down for you?

You wrote: " The biggest predictor of your kid suffering from adverse reactions to a vaccine is the parents being anti-vax morons. "

Please explain to me what you meant, yes, dumb it down, because if my interpretation is wrong I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

(Also, I'm not anti-vaxx, I probably have taken more vaccines than you.)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

knulla posted:

so they don't spread it to vulnerable people. hope this helps

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

knulla posted:

You can laugh all you want, but reddit is vastly more pro-vaccine and much more heavily moderated than this place, so when the mask slips there it's indicative that the gigantic amount of corporate and governmental pressure necessary to maintain the narrative that the vaccines are perfectly, perfectly safe--ZERO ISSUES NOTHING TO SEE HERE--is starting to become overcome by people finally catching on.

And I guess you're just not aware, but over there across the pond all these footballers are just like dying on the field in the middle of games. At first the media gaslit everyone saying "ITS TOTALLY NORMAL FOR 28 YEAR OLD PEOPLE REPRESENTING HUMANITY'S PEAK HEALTH DIE ON LIVE TV!" And now it's becoming so frequent it's impossible to spin that way.

I'm sure this is all easy for you to ignore--your mind is made up, no evidence could move you away from "100% cocksure" to even "somewhat certain".

Where are you getting this information? Link to it.

I'm looking and I can't find anything about large numbers of football players dying. Also, do you mean American football or proper football?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Transparent trolling. "I saw it on facebook!" Ignore the idiot and mods please ban him.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Castaign posted:

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying! I take it all back, as correlation definitely equals causation!

Out of curiosity, were there maybe chemtrails in the sky before the cardiac hospitalization? Did the kids maybe not take any LiveStrong essential oils that week? What was their Zodiac sign?

/just asking questions, just trying to figure all this stuff out - i'm a very rational, very concerned person, and i really encourage everyone to do their own research

This is what's so weird--zero interest in any precaution when it comes to the novel vaccine for kids, total skepticism about a fact that CDC has already admitted (heart problems are "rare" though happening regularly with young boys), and yet others in this thread so ready and willing to just completely buy into Twitter moron-tier bullshit about "THE NEW VARIANT OMG THE NEW VARIANT!"

Some people just love a crisis.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

knulla posted:

This is what's so weird--zero interest in any precaution when it comes to the novel vaccine for kids, total skepticism about a fact that CDC has already admitted (heart problems are "rare" though happening regularly with young boys), and yet others in this thread so ready and willing to just completely buy into Twitter moron-tier bullshit about "THE NEW VARIANT OMG THE NEW VARIANT!"

Some people just love a crisis.

yeah, yeah, but I still really need to know these kids' star signs and status re: essential oils

I just want to make sure that I'm on top of all of this so that I can spread the word and protect others.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Illuminti posted:

Where are you getting this information? Link to it.

I'm looking and I can't find anything about large numbers of football players dying. Also, do you mean American football or proper football?

There's a regular drumbeat of headlines about footballers dying, meaning soccer players.

I'm sure nothing will convince you but how about this list on wikipedia of footballers dying on the field? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_footballers_who_died_while_playing

2x increase in 2021 vs any comparable year, and this list is notably missing the four or five that have happened in november.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

knulla posted:

Serious question: Why would a vaccine designed to elicit an immune response, but otherwise demonstrated to have an incredible safety profile thus far, be somehow more dangerous than a virus (that also elicits an immune response) that is known to have an incredibly poor safety profile across all age groups?

Your kids are going to be exposed to COVID, probably more than once, and you seriously think the vaccines are more dangerous than the actual virus?

knulla posted:

We have thrown away the safe vaccine playbook for the covid vaccines,
That isn't true. The same trials are taking place as with other vaccines and--as you've noted--they haven't completed yet because they track long term efficacy and safety. But the vaccines has been approved for general use because we're in the middle of a pandemic of a deadly disease that kills across all age groups.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 26, 2021

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

Transparent trolling. "I saw it on facebook!" Ignore the idiot and mods please ban him.

I dunno man, many of my claims have been sourced to CDC, FDA, etc., even including links.

Just say the quiet part out loud: "HE'S NOT FOLLOWING THE SCRIPT GET HIM THE gently caress OUTTA HERE."

SA used to be outside the overton window. So sad that D&D is basically now just Metafilter with more insults. What a pity.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The first mistake you made was to join a parenting group on Facebook. The second mistake was to join... seven more?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nu variant who dis

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although I am very weary of the terrible poo poo COVID revealed about basic human nature, I have not run out of energy to take measures to try and protect myself and other people. There's not much an individual can do about society-level problems but I will do what I can.

The constant uncertainty and hostility is exhausting.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

enki42 posted:

I'm not an expert on the UK economy, but a couple of weeks of travel restrictions to South Africa and increased monitoring don't exactly seem like economy-crippling actions, particularly if they're going to avoid getting into a situation that would actually have a significant effect.

For sure "a couple of weeks" can turn into a lot more, but that's in the scenario where the variant is bad news, and the restrictions are definitely necessary to avoid / delay further restrictions.

It's already in London if it is as contagious as they say. If it is that contagious and it's mutations avoid the vaccines, it'll blow up and stopping planes won't matter.

If the vaccines are good, no big deal either way.

and honestly, I wouldn't;t mind if the US stopped travel and let Britain take that poo poo full brunt. Let us see how to handle it. let them be the test subjects to see if the vaccine works. I think they can handle it and tanking their economy is not worth having a perfectly good test subject.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

knulla posted:

You wrote: " The biggest predictor of your kid suffering from adverse reactions to a vaccine is the parents being anti-vax morons. "

Please explain to me what you meant, yes, dumb it down, because if my interpretation is wrong I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

(Also, I'm not anti-vaxx, I probably have taken more vaccines than you.)

Well first, lets read the sentence and notice that I didn't even mention covid. That's your first clue that I'm not "actually suggesting they're gonna get hurt by covid?"

Breaking it down.
"The biggest predictor of your kid suffering from adverse reactions to a vaccine" so looking at this I'm saying if a kid has a bad reaction to a vaccine (not covid you will note) then there was something we could have looked at before he had the "adverse reaction" that is a very good "predictor" that he would have one.

"the parents being anti-vax morons" and this is the predictor. There was some subtext to what I wrote, maybe I was to subtle.

To flip it around to help.
The children of parents who are not anti-vaxx morons are somehow, mysteriously, far less likely to have their parents report that they had an adverse reaction to a vaccine.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Also, given the frequency of myocarditis, those must be some big-rear end parenting groups.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2782900

(It's about 1 case in 50,000 vaccinations, and it's mostly mild.)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

knulla posted:

I'm sure nothing will convince you but how about this list on wikipedia of footballers dying on the field? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_footballers_who_died_while_playing

This has got to be a contender for dumbest sentence of the year

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Serious question:
Why would a vaccine designed to elicit an immune response, but otherwise demonstrated to have an incredible safety profile thus far, be somehow more dangerous than a virus (that also elicits an immune response) that is known to have an incredibly poor safety profile across all age groups?

I'm guessing you have basically zero experience dealing with complex systems.

Let me ask you a question in response. The premise you need to understand going into this is that pregnant women are able to take almost NOTHING in the way of medications. The reason is because it is considered unethical to test molecules on pregnant women, and so the safety of a given molecule is unknown for these women. For that very reason, all the vaccine clinical trials explicitly excluded pregnant women.

Do you think the vaccine is safe enough for pregnant women?

You must know that some medicines are safe for adults but not for kids. Some have dose-response curves that require different dosing for kids. Etc. etc. Your premise is basically a joke, sorry.

Also, the safety profile is not demonstrated at all, because we have no LONG TERM safety data.

Prior to this vaccine, the FDA spent on average ~10 years approving new vaccines. Phase 3 is for a very specific purpose: To evaluate the tradeoff between safety and efficacy. It IS a tradeoff--there is no treatment that has no side-effect, and the entire point of long-term phase 3 studies is to ascertain exactly what that tradeoff is.

In this case, not only are those studies not complete, but the companies running the studies blew up the placebo arms so we have no actual control group to understand the safety/efficacy tradeoff.

MANY MANY medications and treatments have even made it past phase 3 but in "phase 4" (which is what folks in the pharaceutical industry call the rollout phase of a newly-approved meidication) problems become apparent. For one example, oxycontin was approved as a "non-habit forming opiate painkiller". Do you know what happened there?

Vaccines themselves have often caused long-term safety issues that were totally unknown prior to approval. There's in fact an entire medical school textbook about this: https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Vaccines+and+Autoimmunity-p-9781118663431

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Your kids are going to be exposed to COVID, probably more than once, and you seriously think the vaccines are more dangerous than the actual virus?

Are you absolutely serious?

1) Kids are basically immune to covid.
2) Kids that get exposed and beat the bug get natural immunity.
3) Natural immunity is likely to be durable, possibly life-long (did you know that those that recovered from SARS-1 were immune to sars-cov-2, like 15 years later?)
4) Even if 2 & 3 were wrong, 1) means kids are at ~0 risk today, and it's really dumb to take v1 rushed medication for a disease that poses zero risk but has unknown side-effects.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That isn't true. The same trials are taking place as with other vaccines and--as you've noted--they haven't completed yet because they track long term efficacy and safety. But the vaccines has been approved for general use because we're in the middle of a pandemic of a deadly disease that kills across all age groups.

You're wrong. They blew up the placebo arm: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2774382

There is no longer a control group in the study.

Further, the studies are ONGOING yet the vaccine is ROLLED OUT.

The order here matters. You should be able to see why.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

knulla posted:

I dunno man, many of my claims have been sourced to CDC, FDA, etc., even including links.

Just say the quiet part out loud: "HE'S NOT FOLLOWING THE SCRIPT GET HIM THE gently caress OUTTA HERE."

SA used to be outside the overton window. So sad that D&D is basically now just Metafilter with more insults. What a pity.

lmao

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

14 deaths in 2021. 12 in 2016. 14 is not 2x 12. So lol.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Who are the active hosts, this is important

Someone whom you don't know.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

knulla posted:

There's a regular drumbeat of headlines about footballers dying, meaning soccer players.

2x increase in 2021 vs any comparable year, and this list is notably missing the four or five that have happened in november.

You know I can read right?

2016 - 12 deaths
2017 - 10 deaths

2021......drum roll please...14 deaths (-4 who died before they would've been vaccinated).

So no it's not 2x increase in 2021 vs any comparable year. Unless you magic four or five from November turn up.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Virus known to cause strokes or heart attacks in survivors…

Nope it’s the vaccine

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Look there hasn't been 10 years of study so you can't just say something like vaccines are safe! Anyway kids are immune to COVID and if exposed, they are immune forever."

lmao

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

14 deaths in 2021. 12 in 2016. 14 is not 2x 12. So lol.

I think you can probably remove the first 4 of the year as they are unlikely to have been vaccinated at that point. So really it's 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

knulla posted:

1) Kids are basically immune to covid.
I'm not going to respond to the rest of your post because everything else you've said is predicated on this one statement being true and it's not. Kids are absolutely vulnerable to COVID, have been hospitalized due to it, and have died from it.