Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

This is correct and not a bad take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i didnt read it as an insult and neither did the crowd because they chanted DMD

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah it wasn't an insult it was just fact

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
It was a burn about how Britt Baker got more over than him by being good at insulting people and heeling in an entertaining way, the thing MJF is supposed to be good at

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Seams posted:

i didnt read it as an insult and neither did the crowd because they chanted DMD

Yeah, it's not "you're not even as good as this WOMAN" it's "you say you're so good you should be a pillar, but Britt has proved she's on that level more than you have, she's outworked you for that spot, and unlike you she has the gold to back up her bragging."

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
it's an acknowledgment and admonishment of the assumption that the Four Pillars have to be four dudes when Britt checks all the required boxes and has accomplished more than the four of them

but it probably could've done without the part where CM Punk mockingly tossed a baseball a short distance, handed MJF a tampon and told him to go make him a sandwich

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it was absolutely Punk putting Britt over, the insult to MJF isn't that he's not as good as her (thus suggesting she is bad) but that she has surpassed him (thus acknowledging that she is great) and MJF hasn't even noticed because he's so busy putting himself over.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Actually the fourth pillar is Riho

Assenayo
Aug 25, 2021

fatherofmustard posted:

Poppy is good.

That's what I'm saying.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

lmao

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Actually the fourth pillar is Riho

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Riho is all four Pillars, one for each limb

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Elephant Ambush posted:

The first thing CM Punk did when he got to AEW was put over Britt Baker, it wasn't said as an insult.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Let's see what the lady herself has to say about this horrible slight upon her character

https://twitter.com/RealBrittBaker/status/1463679556620017664?s=20

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

this is the funniest tweet that has ever been posted in this thread including the oeuvre of sean carlucci

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Between Fr*ni C*faldi, AEW, and my ex wife, this has been a cromulent fuckcrustable of a day

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Duke Pukem posted:

yeah, isnt old white people their biggest demo

Only on paper. Scientists are still figuring out how to measure the diverse young NXT 2.0 audience

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Think of all the youngs watching on their parents’ cable who are too ashamed to log in to their Nielsen box.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ganso Bomb posted:

The first thing CM Punk did when he got to AEW was put over Britt Baker, it wasn't said as an insult.

OK then I misinterpreted the tweet. I took it as Punk putting Britt over but not insulting her because she's a woman. Also Britt IS better than MJF in every way.

My bad. I'll hold the L.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Think of all the youngs watching on their parents’ cable who are too ashamed to log in to their Nielsen box.

The hipster cafes in shambles

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When you look at the other 3, they're all doing something interesting - Darby is being presented as being at the level of guys like Moxley, and currently working with guys AEW obviously see something in (the rear end Boys), Sammy is the TNT champion, and Jungle Man just beat the SuperKliq.

Compared to that, MJF is forever treading water, staying at the same level while he gets not just left behind, but overtaken by Britt Baker, who is also over as gently caress.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

edogawa rando posted:

When you look at the other 3, they're all doing something interesting - Darby is being presented as being at the level of guys like Moxley, and currently working with guys AEW obviously see something in (the rear end Boys), Sammy is the TNT champion, and Jungle Man just beat the SuperKliq.

Compared to that, MJF is forever treading water, staying at the same level while he gets not just left behind, but overtaken by Britt Baker, who is also over as gently caress.

Excalibur even made a comment about this during last week's MJF promo. He mentioned that MJF only wrestles like 3 or 4 times a year. I really like MJF and I realize he doesn't dictate how often he wrestles but if he really wants to prove himself as one of the 4 Pillars then he really needs to wrestle and win more often.

And yeah when a legend like Punk calls out Darby as "the heart and soul of AEW" that's a huge rub. I know MJF is a heel and won't have too many people supporting him but it would honestly be nice to have someone like Tully having his back more often. I know MJF wants to stand alone but Darby has Sting, Jungle Boy has Christian, and Sammy has Jericho. MJF with an undeniable legend heel backing him up would really help.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK then I misinterpreted the tweet. I took it as Punk putting Britt over but not insulting her because she's a woman. Also Britt IS better than MJF in every way.

My bad. I'll hold the L.

The problem is that the first sentence in the tweet is true, but then the other two go off on a wild interpretation that assumes the worst about Punk on purpose because AEW can do nothing right in these people's eyes.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I don’t like any of the four pillars except Darby. Wardlow should be two pillars, the last pillar can be whatever the place will stay upright with just Wardlow.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I like the 4 Pillars concept and I especially like Britt being incorporated into the conversation because it provides a more ensemble version of the Ace narrative and acknowledges a single star can't carry a company (Looking at you, Vince).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

All four pillars are good but can they stop talking about it on TV every week

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

a cyborg mug posted:

it's mjf's current obsession and he's the one who keeps bringing it up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a cyborg mug posted:

Which of the AEW 4 Pillars is Taue?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

In a shocking twist, it'll be whichever one makes the HoF first

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Probably Jungle Boy.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Pylons posted:

Probably Jungle Boy.

I was about to disagree but if JB stays in the Tag division then yeah, he is the best fit for Taue.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Britt/Riho/Nyla/Shida are the real four pillars :colbert:.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They can stop talking about the four pillars when they start referring to Daily’s Place as the American Korakuen

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Seams posted:

They can stop talking about the four pillars when they start referring to Daily’s Place as the American Korakuen

Wouldn't the Hammerstein be a better comparison to Korakuen?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Based on the amount of shows both big name and small time indie it's the ECW Arena (or whatever it's called now).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Renaissance Spam posted:

No.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Renaissance Spam posted:

As far as I'm aware, Daily's has more 5+ star matches than any other American venue, making it the best candidate for American Korakuen.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Based on the amount of shows both big name and small time indie it's the ECW Arena (or whatever it's called now).

This one makes sense to me because I was approaching it from the idea of "If you aren't a big company doing a show here means you're legit", but I may not understand what Korakuen's mystique actually is.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fez_machine posted:

Viking Hall (1986-2003)
New Alhambra Sports & Entertainment Center (2004-2006)
New Alhambra Arena (2006-2007)
Alhambra Arena (2007-2009)
The Arena (2009-2010)
Asylum Arena (2010-2012)
2300 Arena (2013-present)
(unofficial) ECW Arena (1994-2001)
(unofficial) XPW Arena (2002-2003)

I like the simplicity of "The Arena".

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Honestly probably the arena the closest to Korakuen Hall in terms of match quality/events that in the US that isn't Daly's place has to be the Midsouth Coliseum