Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for going to my parents' house and leaving my fiancée at home after she said she wanted to bring her own food to Thanksgiving?

I think OP is an rear end in a top hat for multiple reasons but the biggest one is not coming clean with the parents on why she couldn’t make it. Like that’s the one that does it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

I think OP is an rear end in a top hat for multiple reasons but the biggest one is not coming clean with the parents on why she couldn’t make it. Like that’s the one that does it for me.
I'll bet that OP knew his reasoning wouldn't hold up to his parents and they would have been somewhere between "we wouldn't have cared either way" and "sure, we'd absolutely love more variety".

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It is hilariously weird to me that "make some poo poo up and spend the holiday with the person I've chosen to marry" was never even considered.

Like, I love my parents but I'm blowing them off for my wife.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mx. posted:

WIBTA for not giving my neighbor's kid a break?

I would love the update to this one.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Every dish has shellfish, including dessert.
And the cake.
Serve a signature shellfish cocktail.
The officiant is just 3 lobsters in a trenchcoat.

this would be ok for to OP to do, they too "forgot"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It is hilariously weird to me that "make some poo poo up and spend the holiday with the person I've chosen to marry" was never even considered.

Like, I love my parents but I'm blowing them off for my wife.

She's not new mommy until the ceremony, for now his loyalty is exclusively to old mommy

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for going to my parents' house and leaving my fiancée at home after she said she wanted to bring her own food to Thanksgiving?

What was she planning to bring?? OP specifies "an entire cooked meal" but never explains in the comments despite several people asking. I want to know, dammit.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Evil Willow posted:

Pretty sure this is a slightly edited copy/paste of a prior story where it was the MIL posting about her son's wife bringing her own food. The specific phrases "traditional foods everyone eats" and "she's definitely not allergic or vegan" came up both then and now.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Evil Willow posted:

She got all dramatic almost crying saying I was being controlling and that I should just let her come and bring her own food instead of overreacting like that. I stood my ground and she kept saying she wanted to bring food and that she wasn't willing to go hungry to please my mom. I had it at this point and got ready to go over to my parents who live hours away.

I got in the car with my stuff and left her behind crying then started calling me saying I should not have went and left her alone at home and that I was wrong for making this my hill to die and causing her to miss my mom's invite.
I don't care how much of a baby the OP is, gently caress this poo poo. "Why are you so inflexible," I say, while being completely unwilling to compromise.

Is it weird that this is OP's hill to die on? Yes, but it's also weird that it's her hill to die on, and OP'ssolution of "don't come, then" is much fairer than her "just get over it."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I can't evaluate this one. Everyone seems like a weird baby.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Hunted it down in the last thread, the phrasing isn't as close as I remembered.

AITA for calling my son's wife disrespectful for bringing her own food to my thanksgiving dinner?

quote:

I'll preface this by saying that my (45) son Tim (23) recently got married to his now wife Sara (22). We get along just fine as a family. Though she tends to act passive aggressively sometimes. She loves food and is always open to trying my cooking. She said my cooking was amazing though she made few negative comments about certain meals and advised me to use xyz ingredients next time.

I invited them over for thanksgiving yesterday. The whole family was there. The bell rang and I opened the door to see Tim and Sara. Sara was carrying what seemed to be a container. I didn't ask about it nor paid much attention to it. Everyone sat down to eat after I set up the table and but dinner on it. My main dish was the traditional thanksgiving dish every family in our community knows. I had appeitizers and side dishes and of course salad and dessert.

Sara then put the container on the table and started unloading food on to her empty plate. Everyone was watching as my eyes widened up. I asked what she was doing and she said she brought her own food to eat since she won't eat what I cooked. I was stunned I politly asked if there was a reason for that and she shook her head. I asked if she was vegan she said no. I asked if she was allergic to anything at the table and she said no. I asked if she was having an upset stomach or anything but she said no. I asked then why not eat what I cooked for them all day? She just smug smiled at me which sete off. I told her that it was disrespectful of her to bring food to to the thanksgiving dinner that I was hosting. She started arguing that she gets to eat whatever she wants whenever she wants. I said it's about basic respect and decency. Tim asked her to at least try some of the dishes I prepared but she lashed out telling him that him and I were being unbelievable by deciding what she should eat and forcing her to take it. I said it wasn't like that but she just got up and said she did not appreciate how I insulted her for simply not wanting to eat my food. She grabbed her stuff, excused herself and walked out. Tim quietly followed her and they left. I was so upset. Everyone was just staring. my husband said I should've just let it go and not comment on Sara's food choice but I couldn't help but feel disrespected in my own home. He said I made dinner awkward by focusing so much honestly.

Tim texted me this morning apologizing but said I should talk to Sara to clear the confusion but I'm not sure if there was any confusion she chose to bring food to my house after I cooked especially for her and the others.

This one mostly just stuck with me for the absolutely bizarre sentence, "My main dish was the traditional thanksgiving dish every family in our community knows." If it's turkey, why not just say turkey??

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Everett False posted:

This one mostly just stuck with me for the absolutely bizarre sentence, "My main dish was the traditional thanksgiving dish every family in our community knows." If it's turkey, why not just say turkey??

The statement is prescriptive not descriptive. If you dont enjoy that dish then you're not part of the community, and will be banished.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Evil Willow posted:

I am with the OP on this one.

If there is no veganism or dietary restriction or allergy or whatever, then the girlfriend is just being a loving weirdo for no reason.

Like there is nothing inherently wrong with bringing food to Thanksgiving, but only if it is something that is to be shared out with everyone. It sounds like the girlfriend is just bringing a singular meal for herself to eat alone while not trying anything cooked by OP's mom. The OP making an excuse is shielding his girlfriend from well deserved ridicule from his family for her bizarre decisions.

I get it, Thanksgiving food isn't exactly the best, but it shows signs of being a 'keeper' if someone can just loving grow up and eat a few bites of some boring food to make an old lady happy. She can even pre-eat her own stupid meal and then just nibble at things on Thanksgiving and claim fullness or an impending illness or a diet or any other excuse beyond "I am incredibly picky and won't even consider trying something."

I am not a Thanksgiving traditionalist. I have my Viet friends bringing braised ribs and my Turkish pals bringing grape leaves and stuff, but the difference is that they bring enough to share and are at least socially cognizant enough to try some mashed potatoes or something instead of being petulant about it.

If I invite someone to a Halloween party and they insist on not wearing a costume because they ALWAYS wear a costume to a Halloween party then they can just stay home. Thanksgiving is one day a year, make an old lady happy and try her drat food.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
If someone wants to be weird as gently caress and bring their own food to thanksgiving dinner for them to eat themselves, that doesnt really seem like a big deal.

Everyone will just think they are a loving weirdo and make fun of them later. Unless you have some equally weirdo reaction like melting down because they arent respecting the sanctity of turkey or whatever and make that person leave

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I am with the OP on this one.

If there is no veganism or dietary restriction or allergy or whatever, then the girlfriend is just being a loving weirdo for no reason.

Like there is nothing inherently wrong with bringing food to Thanksgiving, but only if it is something that is to be shared out with everyone. It sounds like the girlfriend is just bringing a singular meal for herself to eat alone while not trying anything cooked by OP's mom. The OP making an excuse is shielding his girlfriend from well deserved ridicule from his family for her bizarre decisions.

I get it, Thanksgiving food isn't exactly the best, but it shows signs of being a 'keeper' if someone can just loving grow up and eat a few bites of some boring food to make an old lady happy. She can even pre-eat her own stupid meal and then just nibble at things on Thanksgiving and claim fullness or an impending illness or a diet or any other excuse beyond "I am incredibly picky and won't even consider trying something."

I am not a Thanksgiving traditionalist. I have my Viet friends bringing braised ribs and my Turkish pals bringing grape leaves and stuff, but the difference is that they bring enough to share and are at least socially cognizant enough to try some mashed potatoes or something instead of being petulant about it.

If I invite someone to a Halloween party and they insist on not wearing a costume because they ALWAYS wear a costume to a Halloween party then they can just stay home. Thanksgiving is one day a year, make an old lady happy and try her drat food.

yet somehow the laundry list of people being poisoned or secretly fed food they avoid/allergic to flew past your head to make this massively stupid post

very likely the girlfriend doesn't want to eat the "old lady's" food because she doesn't trust her. get that "decorum" poo poo out of here old people don't automatically deserve everyone catering to them just because it's a holiday.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for joking about about my friend's wife's appearance?

quote:

A few days back, I made plans with my friends to have a pool party in my basement where we were planning to just play same pool, video games, watch TV, and chill during the weekend. I get a call from my friend telling me that another friend of ours, lets call him A, would be coming over as well. A is a good friend of mine and although I haven't seem for a few years, I still have good memories of us having fun. We used to rib and make fun of each other often, though it was just in good fun and friendly banter.

On the day of the party, Imran arrives and brings his wife with him (though at first I didn't know it was his wife), he briefly introduces his wife to us and she leaves shortly after saying she has to check up on the kids. Now I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but the disparity in terms of looks between the two was hilarious, A is a pretty good looking, lean, fit, 25-30 yr old looking guy while his wife, although she's around the same age, looks much older than him and is a bit out of shape. She honestly looks she's in her 50s. I dont hold that against her and I'm sure her personality is great and she seemed nice.

Me and my friends were a little drunk and after she left made a few jokes at his/her expense, but we made it clear that we were just joking and it was all just banter. I said "so I was drunk and cant remember, was that your mummy you just brought with you?" and my friends and I started laughing. My friend says "for real, when you (Imran) came in, I thought why did this guy bring his mum to a party" and we started laughing again. A few other jokes followed. A, started chuckling a bit, but immediately he threw down the table he was leaning on and left in a fit of rage (he didn't say anything, he just left). Note, me and A used to joke with each other like this in the past (though we would refrain from saying anything about anyone's spouse or family). Although in my friend group, we do sometimes make comments about each other's spouse but it's just as jokes. I honestly didn't think the jokes about his wife were that bad, sure they weren't super nice but in my opinion, they were acceptable.

AITA?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

If someone wants to be weird as gently caress and bring their own food to thanksgiving dinner for them to eat themselves, that doesnt really seem like a big deal.

Everyone will just think they are a loving weirdo and make fun of them later. Unless you have some equally weirdo reaction like melting down because they arent respecting the sanctity of turkey or whatever and make that person leave

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't see how it's not rude and weird as hell for her to bring her own meal just for herself just because it's Thanksgiving. If it was any other dinner she was invited to and she insisted on bringing an entire meal for herself because she just didn't feel like eating what was served that would be loving weird. If she had dietary restrictions or if the food was meant to be shared that would be one thing, but that isn't the case here. I don't think it has anything to do with the OP being a mama's boy or whatever, he probably just didn't want her to come off as a weirdo in front of his family.

I have some family that are real hardasses about what's allowed at Thanksgiving, which is equally weird, so I kind of get it, but she hasn't even been to Thanksgiving at their house or had any of their cooking before, so how can she even know?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pentyne posted:

yet somehow the laundry list of people being poisoned or secretly fed food they avoid/allergic to flew past your head to make this massively stupid post

very likely the girlfriend doesn't want to eat the "old lady's" food because she doesn't trust her. get that "decorum" poo poo out of here old people don't automatically deserve everyone catering to them just because it's a holiday.

Yeah that's a really weird conclusion to jump to

New Coke fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 26, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Not bringing your own hot dog to microwave when someone invites you to a share a meal they prepared isn’t exactly advanced etiquette.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
A twin-pack of bigoted Thanksgivings

AITA for ruining thanksgiving dinner even though I was just defending my girlfriend from racist comments?

quote:

For a bit of background info, I 23M am white and my girlfriend 22F is black. My grandparents are extreme racists and although it's just the two of them , they are the loudest and will find any opportunity to let everyone know that they hate non-white individuals. Because of this, I am not that close to my family, especially my parents as they never say anything about it and even laugh at racist "jokes"; I don't go family gatherings or parties because 1. my girlfriend is black and I don't want her to be subjected to straight up harassment by racist family members, and 2. I don't want to be around racists and people who tolerate racism.

A few weeks ago my parents invited my girlfriend and I to my family's thanksgiving dinner, this was a huge shock to us as ever since my family found out we were dating, they stopped contacting me and cut me off financially. I was a bit hesitant but my girlfriend insisted we go as I had gone to her family's thanksgiving dinner last year and that if anything went wrong, we could just go home.

When we showed up, the majority of my family greeted her, but my grandparents stayed seated on the couch and refused to even looked at us. When it came to the dinner itself, my parents started asking my girlfriend what she did for a living and just the typical get to know you questions. My girlfriend told them that she was a college graduate and a registered nurse, my grandfather chuckled and said "Of course it is." The table kind of got quiet after that and even though I hadn't touched a single thing on my plate, I started gathering my stuff. Grandad "Are you seriously leaving?" No answer "You know what? Get your stupid (slur for black people) out of here, it was never invited anyways." My girlfriend ran to the car and I completely blew up on my parents and grandfather. A lot of my family members were also defending her along with me and some people just left. I told him to never talk to me ever again and that I would never be coming back to any other family gathering. My dad tried pulling me to the side to get me to calm down but I blew up on him and my mom for even inviting me in the first place. They knew my grandfather would say something and the fact that they weren't even defending my girlfriend when he said that pissed me off even more and I stormed out.

My girlfriend and I just got home and when we both calmed down, I apologized to her about everything but I got a phone call from my Dad. I thought he was calling to apologize for everything that had happened but instead he yelled at me for ruining the thanksgiving dinner and told me that I overreacted and that I should've just left. He said that I just made everyone hate my grandparents and that he was born in different times so I should've just let him be. I've gotten texts from my mom and sister telling me to come back and apologize to my grandfather. In my opinion, I did what I had to do in order to defend my girlfriend but am I the rear end in a top hat here? Did I overreact? Should I have just left?

AITA for going to a different thanksgiving event?

quote:

My sister (F19) and me (F23) haven't lived at home for around 2 years now. We moved out shortly before the pandemic due to our father's abusive behavior. He is a raging bigot, conspiracy theorist and alcoholic. Our mother left when my sister, Kylie, was 1.

Last year, due to the pandemic, nobody in our family was doing anything for thanksgiving. We decided instead to go to Kylie's long term girlfriend's thanksgiving celebration. Kylie's girlfriend, Dusk (F19), has a large family (7 siblings). We have been closely quarantining with Dusk's family since the start of the pandemic and I consider them to be more like family than my own. We had a great time (me, my sister and dusk's siblings, parents, SIL and niece) last year and Kylie and I decided we'd likely go again.

This year, however, I received an invitation to thanksgiving dinner over the phone from my paternal aunt, Amelia. I desperately did not want to go to this event. I'm not particularly close with my dad's siblings or parents but I don't have any hard feelings towards them either. They don't particularly agree with all of my dad's views but they still respect him and invited him. I did not want to see him, as I only do so when necessary and it almost always is aggressive. I hate confrontation so I opted to just lie to my aunt and tell her that I'm working on thanksgiving and won't be able to come to dinner.

I was proud of my lie, to be honest. Kylie and I had previously been invited, last month, to Dusk's thanksgiving celebration. Since we had such a great time, we had already agreed to come. It seemed like the obvious choice to just go to Dusk's celebration.

Kylie and I finished up our thanksgiving dinner and had a great time. Here's where the real trouble comes in. Dusk's mom posts pictures from our celebration on facebook and tags me in it. I don't think much of it until my phone begins blowing up with texts and calls from my aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. They berate me and call me a traitor. My one cousin, M15, called me a traitor to the family and a "pussy" for not being able to see my father. I had accidentally let the true reason I didn't go slip during a heated phonecall with my uncle. I'm honestly still fuming from the situation. My entire dad's side of the family will not stop calling me a liar and an rear end in a top hat. My dad has yet to say anything, but I'm absolutely terrified. My aunt, who invited me, keeps piling on the most saying that it's a personal attack on her and her lifestyle, etc. Her husband made a bunch of homophobic comments saying I chose a bunch of f-gs over my own family. This is a throaway acct. btw bc I'm not an avid redditor and I've never made an acct. on here. I feel kind of bad- okay really bad.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I get it, Thanksgiving food isn't exactly the best,

thanksgiving food rules. you have to be an uber-snob to be too good for stuffing or mashed potatoes and gravy.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

thanksgiving food rules. you have to be an uber-snob to be too good for stuffing or mashed potatoes and gravy.

Maybe people are scarred by families who can’t make turkey right?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

New Coke posted:

Yeah that's a really weird conclusion to jump

I think this is what happens when you spend too much time in this thread, you start seeing in-law poisoning everywhere.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Maybe people are scarred by families who can’t make turkey right?

i see a lot of people online claiming that turkey isn't a tasty meat every thanksgiving because its naturally "bland and dry" so this is definitely part of it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

pentyne posted:

This is a really weird response, dude. We make fun of picky eaters with more aplomb than this and you are basing your assumptions on absolutely nothing. Also lol at calling this decorum posting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Piell posted:

AITA for ruining thanksgiving dinner even though I was just defending my girlfriend from racist comments?

No, sorry, nobody's grandparents are from a time when it was okay to hate Black people and call them "it". Because it's never been okay! And it definitely hasn't been okay since whenever this rear end in a top hat old racist was born

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

No, sorry, nobody's grandparents are from a time when it was okay to hate Black people and call them "it". Because it's never been okay! And it definitely hasn't been okay since whenever this rear end in a top hat old racist was born

Yeah, we're not talking about someone born in the 1800s here. A person in their 20s probably has grandparents born in the 1950s which is well past the "from a different time" excuse.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
mispost

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It was a dominance game. Gramps wanted to show off "I can insult your girlfriend to your face and you'll have to sit there and take it because everyone will defer to me in order to keep the peace." But it misfired due to unexpected presence of spine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for joking about about my friend's wife's appearance?

(though we would refrain from saying anything about anyone's spouse or family)

Ssssssssounds like you knew where the line was, rear end in a top hat.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Piell posted:

Just text back that you'll see grandma and grandpa at their funerals.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not allowing my brothers girlfriend to come to thanksgiving?

quote:

So a little back story, I (26F) have a little brother(21) we’ll call Mark. His girlfriend (21) will be Emily.

Mark and Emily started dating around Janurary of this year, in February they had a really really messy breakup. A few months later they got back together. I was the only one who knee about their relationship for a long time and he came to be about advice for her a lot. This is his first real relationship.

Anyways fast toward to August. Our grandpa passes away and Emily helps our family with funeral stuff since her uncle is a mortician. Mark brought Emily to the goodbye ceremony. This was all good besides the fact she wouldn't stop talking about a trio her and Mark had taken recently. My husband says I'm exaggerating but is swear to god she wouldn't shut up about it. My parents were smiling and listening along but I think they were just trying to be kind and they were really annoyed with her like I was. I should probably mention this was our first time meeting Emily because the two of them live a state over.

When people started leaving the funeral Emily approached my grandpa and gave her a $2000 dollar necklace with my grandpa ashes in it. I assume she had her uncle help her. I was f***ing livid. This woman has never met my grandpa before, has no idea who my family is and is trying to give my grandma such a personal gift? It felt like she was trying to buy her way into our family which I was not having. So after that happened I pulled her aside and told her that buying things for us wouldn't make her apart of the family and she didn't need to try so hard. She just glared at me and walked away. I saw her crying to Mark later in the night and I was baffled by her trying to play the victim.

Since that happened things between me and Mark have been really tense. He never calls me any more and rarely texts and we used to talk every day. I feel like this girl is manipulating him into not talking to me and I don't want to spend Thanksgiving around her. I voiced this to my parents and they were shocked and said absolutely not and so I said I wouldn't go if she went and that's when my husband stepped in and called me a bitch. Now I'm having problems with him too. She's ruined so many personal relationships for me and I just wanna spend the holidays with the family I love with out.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for putting my foot down over my brothers girlfriend?

I wrote this on my phone. I'm not gonna grammar check.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

I'm a cock I'm a cock I'M A COCK I'm a cock I'm a loving cooooooock anyhow what do you think reddit?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

My favorite part is the OP admitted in comments that the girlfriend got permission for the necklace AND the grandmother liked it enough to want to get a matching bracelet. It it almost too perfect...

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Evil Willow posted:

That bitch! Telling me about a trip? BUYING SOMEONE A PRESENT?! The absolute loving nerve.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

edgeman83 posted:

My favorite part is the OP admitted in comments that the girlfriend got permission for the necklace AND the grandmother liked it enough to want to get a matching bracelet. It it almost too perfect...

There's got to be SOMETHING left to have grievance about, I'm STILL MAD and that CAN'T BE MY OWN PROBLEM

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

That bitch! Telling me about a trip? BUYING SOMEONE A PRESENT?! The absolute loving nerve.

I dunno how (if) the op does grieving but like... engaging politely and inanely is a pretty regular tool for kids gloving people in that place. I wonder if this person at that age hasn't actually had an death in the family before. Given the uncle mortician perhaps the GF has some experience with dealing with this sort of stuff.

None of that obviously excuses them being a poo poo, but I'm kinda curious. I had a looot of relatives die when I was in my teens/twenties and shallow bullshitting with the family is so second nature at this point.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

pentyne posted:

There is no 'decorum' bullshit here. The mom has not said anything, nor given any reason that the food is likely poisoned or hosed up. If you just assume everyone in the world is trying to poison you before you even see the food, then yes, you've got big loving problems and should probably just avoid going to dinner parties in general, which is the option the OP gave.

The mom isn't being disrespectful, the son seems to be trying to shield his baby chicky nuggy girlfriend from being ridiculed by his family for her actually ridiculous need to bring a solo meal to a dinner party for the sole reason of being tired of having traditional Thanksgiving food on Thanksgiving?

You can poo poo all you want on 'decorum', but then you swing to the other end of entitled manbabies insisting that they can only eat Mac N Cheese no matter the context. From the information given in the post, the mom is preparing some pretty basic stuff with no other evidence of food poisoning or allergen-ignoring. It's pretty reasonable to just tell the person not to show up if they can't put on a brave face and play ball for a single meal. I think it is a big red flag that someone bursts into tears rather than just have a meal that isn't their favorite.

Maybe I'm a giant Decorum Doormat, but I live outside my home country and frequently get invited to holiday feasts which don't serve my top favorite foods, but somehow manage to just try something and get over myself if it is not my ideal.

The OP seems a bit dramatic himself with ditching her in the car, but I would have similarly told my girlfriend just not to bother coming if she can't be open minded about celebrating a holiday at someone else's house for the first time. The girlfriend's behavior seems indicative of some Other Underlying Problem which is probably gonna spring up at instances other than Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You know who had a great reason to never eat food prepared by and at her mother in law's place? The lady who asked if she was the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to eat food that constantly had the MIL's hair in it. Such as a loaf of pound cake with hair threaded through it. Also it was revealed the MIL keeps her hair brush in the kitchen. Idk I just remembered that grossness and wanted to share 😁