Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Sarduakar are intentionally a direct analogue of the real life Jannisaries. Both being an Emperors personal slave soldiers he uses to intimidate his empires great houses. Where both of them started out as the world/universes most elite fighting force, then spent centuries sitting on their asses coasting on reputation before getting humiliated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

galagazombie posted:

The Sarduakar are intentionally a direct analogue of the real life Jannisaries. Both being an Emperors personal slave soldiers he uses to intimidate his empires great houses. Where both of them started out as the world/universes most elite fighting force, then spent centuries sitting on their asses coasting on reputation before getting humiliated.

huh, never thought about that before

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
History of the world, Part I came out in 1981.

Heretics of Dune was published in 1984.

Horny Ol' Frank ripped off the entire jews in space story arc from a Mel Brooks bit and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Where are you sourcing this number from?

Thats a fantastic question... I don't actually know.

I've only read the first book, but I've spent a ton of time googling stuff to try and keep up itt, and it seems like everywhere the '1 in 10' number is thrown out. I don't actually know where that number came about - it feels like something from the failson books; IMO papa herbert was pretty clear that you needed spice to make the spaceship work.

1 in 10 is pretty brutal, but also not insurmountable

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Thats a fantastic question... I don't actually know.

I've only read the first book, but I've spent a ton of time googling stuff to try and keep up itt, and it seems like everywhere the '1 in 10' number is thrown out. I don't actually know where that number came about - it feels like something from the failson books; IMO papa herbert was pretty clear that you needed spice to make the spaceship work.

1 in 10 is pretty brutal, but also not insurmountable
Most of what you can find online is mixed sourcing from the 6 original books, the encyclopedia (which is canon except where books 5 and 6 contradict it, according to Frank Herbert in the foreword), and the books that don't exist - with absolutely zero attribution anywhere.

Logic dictates that they had to have had a way to navigate space with FTL travel between leaving Earth and finding Arrakis - but what the odds are, how it was done, and basically anything else about it isn't really known in the original books, and the encyclopedia only really covers it implicitly in the timeline.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Kinda surprised the emperor and Guild didn't just...send an otherwise empty heighliner and have it crash into a star.

"Oops", the emperor said, as the Harkonnens returned to their previous stations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ChubbyChecker posted:

huh, never thought about that before

The setting of the first book is extremely tied to the “Muslims in Space” theme. Besides the aforementioned Sarduakar/Jannisaries connection there are several other examples such as:

Padishah is a Persian word for emperor used by many Islamic rulers, which makes “Padishah Emperor” a redundancy.

The Fremen/Bedouin Arab connection, which connects both to the Muslim conquests of the 600’s over a Padishah that installed a new theocratic state in a jihad, but also to something that would have been current events to Herbert, the Arab revolt of WW1 where Bedouin Arabs helped destroy the Ottoman Empire of Jannisary/Sarduakar fame (though the Jannisaries had long been disbanded after a previous Dune esc defeat).

Nobility/Great Houses being moved around and reassigned fiefs instead of being tied to them like in European feudalism. Which was a common trait of the Middle East from the Ottomans all the way back to the Achaemenid’s.

Just the general use of Islamic terminology in general, People like to joke about the series various Jihad’s, but you’ve also got Mahdi being a huge part of Muslim end-times theology.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think I've mentioned this before, it's not just Muslims - it's a mix of many religions. Frank Herbert was a practicing Zen Buddhist, and was always fascinated with religion in general (it stands out in some of his other books, too).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I think I've mentioned this before, it's not just Muslims - it's a mix of many religions. Frank Herbert was a practicing Zen Buddhist, and was always fascinated with religion in general (it stands out in some of his other books, too).

Besides the word ZenSunni getting thrown around a few times that stuff mostly comes from the philosophical monologues or the sequels though. The first books actual physical setting is full on Space Muslim.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

It sounds like some of you read the lore in video games

Oh you snippy bitch

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

YoursTruly posted:

Kinda surprised the emperor and Guild didn't just...send an otherwise empty heighliner and have it crash into a star.

"Oops", the emperor said, as the Harkonnens returned to their previous stations.

The point of the plot was plausible deniability. If the Guild's 100% accurate perfect prescient navigators just happened to crash for the first time in millennia, with a whole house on board and nobody else, that's an obvious hit and the entire nobility turns on the emperor.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Fuschia tude posted:

The point of the plot was plausible deniability. If the Guild's 100% accurate perfect prescient navigators just happened to crash for the first time in millennia, with a whole house on board and nobody else, that's an obvious hit and the entire nobility turns on the emperor.

I always thought there's a kind of wheel within a wheel thing going on there, too. I always read it as, like, the Harkonnen want to SUPER involve the Emperor in their evil scheme, so that his hands are dirty and they have something over him, hence them hiring waaaay too many battalions. But then from the Emperor's perspective, there's an element of like, "No one will know it was me, but they'll all believe it was me", which lets him continue to rule with fear, but as you say, plausible deniability. (Rather than total innocence).

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Mind you, this is the same setting with magic people who can accurately detect any lies you tell just from hearing your answer, but also where "Well, I never said they were to be killed!" is an a-OK mastermind defense strategy.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

The setting of the first book is extremely tied to the “Muslims in Space” theme. -snip-

I thought it was a disstillate of the "Orange Catholic Church" or at least, various sects thereof, not to mention the honored maitres being their own sect of, er whatever, the sardukkar being into a stripped down version of zensunni, with essentially a lot of placement of arabic themes overlaid, Jihad, for instance.
I really need to read the books again.
(Edit: https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Religion )
oh yeah, and the fremen.
drat, thats a whole list right there.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Mind you, this is the same setting with magic people who can accurately detect any lies you tell just from hearing your answer, but also where "Well, I never said they were to be killed!" is an a-OK mastermind defense strategy.

well, two sects of very different "people" who can do that, both the Maitres and the Spacefaring Guild, who happen to dislike each other intensely.

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 26, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine the discouragement of technological advance along with the discovery of sources of no bullshit superpowers has probably given mysticism a new lease on life.

Was there ever official merchandise of the Dune Tarot?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

!Klams posted:

Right? This has always been my read, the book 'says' they are this fuckin' awesome army, but the book 'shows' them to just be utter utter stooges. And my read was that, as you say, they're entirely reputation, but it's more than that. Selusa Secondus is a prison planet, and only the meanest of the mean get chosen to be murder-gently caress-death-machines at the Emperors every whim.

But like, why would they fight and die for him? There's gotta be some Missionaria Protectiva level groupthink going on there, where they actually

A) Think it a massive honour to fight and die for him
B) Give a poo poo about honour

It's explicit that the people that graduate to being Sardukar live lives of absolute luxury, aside from the fighting. It's the kind of in-group formation that happens all the time in reality.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They're Janissaries/Praetorian Guard etc at a point where they are getting a bit soft but haven't fallen into full decadence yet.

After Leto's poison assassination attempt the Baron is unable to stop a Sardaukar captain from being able to inspect the room (and report back to the Emperor how the Baron hosed up). Junior officers of the Sardaukar can push past even major house heads if they are on the Emperor's business. It's a pretty privileged position to be in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big point is that they're raised in deliberately horrible conditions on a planet described as one big prison, and have the opportunity to be elevated to immense status and privilege. The standard imperial playbook.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

!Klams posted:

I always thought there's a kind of wheel within a wheel thing going on there, too. I always read it as, like, the Harkonnen want to SUPER involve the Emperor in their evil scheme, so that his hands are dirty and they have something over him, hence them hiring waaaay too many battalions. But then from the Emperor's perspective, there's an element of like, "No one will know it was me, but they'll all believe it was me", which lets him continue to rule with fear, but as you say, plausible deniability. (Rather than total innocence).

I forget where this is implied too but also I think the Emperor wants the Harkonnens to blow all their cash on doing his dirty work

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I cannot think or comprehend of anything more cucked than having a jihad. Honestly, think about it presciently. You are feeding, clothing, raising and rearing a gaggle of desert warriors for at least 18 years solely so they can go and ravage the universe in your father's name. All the hard work you put into your beautiful little sand people - telling them of the waters of your homeworld, making them go to weirding way practice, making sure they had a healthy fiber heavy diet, educating them, raiding Harkonen operations with them. All of it has one simple result: their bodies are fodder for the typhoon struggle.

Raised the perfect fremen warrior? Great. Who benefits? If you're lucky, a dickless worm 4000 years in the future who had nothing to do with the way they grew up, who inherits the empire. He gets the second skin you were too scared to accept. He gets the benefits of a unified and ever-stagnating universe that came from the way you raised hell.

As a man who has a fremen horde, you are LITERALLY dedicating at least 20 years of your life simply to raise a desert people abstract archetype for a Worm-human hybrid to enjoy. It is the ULTIMATE AND FINAL cuck. Think about it presciently.

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 26, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

It's not just plausible deniability; Leto straight up mentions Kanly to Vladimir Harkonnen in, presumably, a signet-signed letter.
Perhaps a bit arrogant of the Duke?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

It's not just plausible deniability; Leto straight up mentions Kanly to Vladimir Harkonnen in, presumably, a signet-signed letter.
Perhaps a bit arrogant of the Duke?

Plausible deniability of the emperor’s involvement, not the Harkonnen. Vlad wants everyone to know he did it so he can swing dick

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Plausible deniability of the emperor’s involvement, not the Harkonnen. Vlad wants everyone to know he did it so he can swing dick
Ah, gotcha.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big point is that they're raised in deliberately horrible conditions on a planet described as one big prison, and have the opportunity to be elevated to immense status and privilege. The standard imperial playbook.

Secretly, because nobody knows where the Sardaukar come from. Hawat has worked it out, which is one of the reasons the Atreides agree to go to Arrakis - they suspect the Fremen could be as tough as the Sardaukar.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's explicit that the people that graduate to being Sardukar live lives of absolute luxury, aside from the fighting. It's the kind of in-group formation that happens all the time in reality.

Right, that's why you'd join him. But then when you had that lifestyle, why would you fight to the death?

Also:

New Bad Lip Reading is out of Dune and its gooood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMq27uygsY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

I cannot think or comprehend of anything more cucked than having a jihad. Honestly, think about it presciently. You are feeding, clothing, raising and rearing a gaggle of desert warriors for at least 18 years solely so they can go and ravage the universe in your father's name. All the hard work you put into your beautiful little sand people - telling them of the waters of your homeworld, making them go to weirding way practice, making sure they had a healthy fiber heavy diet, educating them, raiding Harkonen operations with them. All of it has one simple result: their bodies are fodder for the typhoon struggle.

Raised the perfect fremen warrior? Great. Who benefits? If you're lucky, a dickless worm 4000 years in the future who had nothing to do with the way they grew up, who inherits the empire. He gets the second skin you were too scared to accept. He gets the benefits of a unified and ever-stagnating universe that came from the way you raised hell.

As a man who has a fremen horde, you are LITERALLY dedicating at least 20 years of your life simply to raise a desert people abstract archetype for a Worm-human hybrid to enjoy. It is the ULTIMATE AND FINAL cuck. Think about it presciently.

Odds are that this was written one handed

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Odds are that this was written one handed

Otheym did lose an arm to the spitting disease in Tarahell, but I don't see why you have to be a dick about it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Besides the word ZenSunni getting thrown around a few times that stuff mostly comes from the philosophical monologues or the sequels though. The first books actual physical setting is full on Space Muslim.

Herbert had a really deep personal connection with a Hoh Indian man. The logging of the PNW and his infamous sand dune reporting were the first major inspirations for Dune. It’s not just Muslims in space.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
It's not detailed much, but the Sardaukar had some sort of (IIRC mystery cult-ish) internal religion, which helped keep them motivated. One of the factors that had weakened the Sardaukar by Paul's time was that they'd become increasingly cynical, and their faith had become a series of empty rituals. Thufir and the Baron have a conversation about how soldiers like the Sardaukar could be kept loyal and motivated at some point, and a private religion came up as one of the ways.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
It's been nearly two decades since I've read Dunc.

Are the Sardaukar the only troops under the direct command of the Emperor? Did He have other troops? Did He command the Harkonnen to attack (even if they paid for it), or did He have to ask, or did they (I assume) have to ask Him? Would any other of the houses have wanted to get in on the action (Great Houses or not), be it holding Arrakis, or wanting to attack Arrakis?(with the reinforcements ofc)

Besides the encyclopedia, are any other houses even named? With the Jews In Space thing, I assume people live somewhere, whether they belong to a house or not.

There's all sorts of other houses in the Landsraad (presumably). What presence do they actually have in the books? Obviously House Ordos is a major player. (:laugh:) Did Salusa Secundus have a house in charge of it to hide the soldiers' belonging to the Emperor, or was that his actual fief?

What crimes let you end up on that planet?

Who were the blood-letting prisoners in the movie?

How do you audition to be a throat singer???

If Leto 2 had a dick, would He make it look like a worm???????

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Theoretically the emperor was also the leader of his own house which would have troops too, but nothing like the imperial troops

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

YoursTruly posted:

It's been nearly two decades since I've read Dunc.

Are the Sardaukar the only troops under the direct command of the Emperor? Did He have other troops? Did He command the Harkonnen to attack (even if they paid for it), or did He have to ask, or did they (I assume) have to ask Him? Would any other of the houses have wanted to get in on the action (Great Houses or not), be it holding Arrakis, or wanting to attack Arrakis?(with the reinforcements ofc)

Besides the encyclopedia, are any other houses even named? With the Jews In Space thing, I assume people live somewhere, whether they belong to a house or not.

There's all sorts of other houses in the Landsraad (presumably). What presence do they actually have in the books? Obviously House Ordos is a major player. (:laugh:) Did Salusa Secundus have a house in charge of it to hide the soldiers' belonging to the Emperor, or was that his actual fief?

What crimes let you end up on that planet?

Who were the blood-letting prisoners in the movie?

How do you audition to be a throat singer???

no, it would look like a man

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

!Klams posted:

New Bad Lip Reading is out of Dune and its gooood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMq27uygsY

I lost it at the spitting, that was fantastic

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

The emperor levies troops from the houses as a feudal duty, which is the ostensible source of the Sardaukar. I don’t know what actually happens to these guys.

I don’t think we ever learn how the conspiracy was initially set up. Seems like it would have been a tricky negotiation. Probably done through Fenring since he’s the emperor’s get-poo poo-done guy. The Harks were already fighting with the Atreides on a small scale before the plot was set up, when the Harks were still on Dune.

YoursTruly posted:

There are loads of other houses but we hardly learn anything about them. The only others that are named in the first book besides Atreides, Hark, and Corrino (the imperial house) are Moritani and Ginaz. Also there are weirder, less feudal societies on the fringes like Ix and Tleilax. The jews are secret

YoursTruly posted:

The answer is within you

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
was it ever said how the Harks got Dune in the first place? i can't remember.

anyway, re: the conspiracy this is what it seems like to me. fait accompli type situation.

Emperor calls up House Harkonenn and says "shame about what happened to your Dune. If you were to uh, attack and kill all the Atreides, your hated enemy, you could take it back and we'd look the other way. We'd even help out a little. You have to pay for the whole thing though." Both threats neutralized. Atreides is all dead or scattered. Harkonnen is bankrupt. You just kicked the can down the road for another century or so.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

As someone who only knows about Dune through cultural osmosis, the Sardukar's intro with the guy throat-singing while they had the blood of sacrifices painted on their foreheads immediately established them as super bad news.

Man that scene was rad as hell. Now I wanna watch the movie again.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

joneswt posted:

As someone who only knows about Dune through cultural osmosis, the Sardukar's intro with the guy throat-singing while they had the blood of sacrifices painted on their foreheads immediately established them as super bad news.

Man that scene was rad as hell. Now I wanna watch the movie again.

that one scene tells you more about them than all the exposition in the book. and it took like 2 minutes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
To what does "orange" in "orange catholic bible" refer?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

To what does "orange" in "orange catholic bible" refer?

Orange is a holy color in the Hindu & Buddhist tradition. Bhikkus wear orange

Also traditionally associated with the Protestants. So “orange Catholic” is I think intended to feel like an ecumenical, all-embracing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

lol