Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I sigh and begin to play Hollow Knight again as it's sitting in my brain, I figure it's worth asking: is there anything on steam that feels like Hollow Knight? Besides Rain World I think. It doesn't have to be a metroidvania, but - well, stuff like this.

Games containing stuff like this in any combination:

- bugs
- exploring a ruined place
- great exploration with lots of incentive to peek everywhere
- satisfying combat

Do NOT say Dark Souls

I'm mostly familiar with games that are metroidvania to a degree since I'm a fan of that genre but:

System Shock

Vangers (this is the most bugs-y one. Unless you meant the other kind of bugs. :v:)

Iji (Free and not on Steam)

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Blasphemous

Ender Lilies

Vigil: The Longest Night

Lost Ruins

Dead Cells (less so)

Death Stranding (kinda?)

Bloodborne. :razz:

The 7th Guest posted:

i just can't get into nudoom because i don't like that the level design isn't the fun dense interconnected mazes of the original. the back half of doom 2016 is just a bunch of linear pathways connecting arena encounters. bleh

the neo-fps scene really picked up the slack there (project warlock for example)

I know I suggested System Shock but I'm glad for that change because I couldn't navigate out of a paper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I sigh and begin to play Hollow Knight again as it's sitting in my brain, I figure it's worth asking: is there anything on steam that feels like Hollow Knight? Besides Rain World I think. It doesn't have to be a metroidvania, but - well, stuff like this.

- bugs
- satisfying combat

Do NOT say Dark Souls

Games that have scratched the Hollow Knight itch for me:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Blasphemous
Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights
edit: I started playing Grime recently and that also scratches the itch, but it's a weird fuckin game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
F.I.S.T. is the Shadow Complex game I never knew I wanted.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
In Doom Eternal you are now so heavily encouraged to use specific counters for demons that it can feel restrictive compared to Doom 2016 which is more open about how players approach the tactical puzzle. Which game you prefer is the classic honer vs innovator player split.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Acerbatus posted:

I'm mostly familiar with games that are metroidvania to a degree since I'm a fan of that genre but:

I know I suggested System Shock but I'm glad for that change because I couldn't navigate out of a paper bag.

System Shock -- ooh good suggestion for replaying, I honestly prefer 1 to 2 though both are bangers. 2 contains bugs as well if I remember right!

Vangers (this is the most bugs-y one. Unless you meant the other kind of bugs. :v:) --- oh god that game is an acid trip. I love it.

Iji (Free and not on Steam) -- played this one ages ago, loved how it reacted to who/how much you killed. Great stuff, can't believe it was free. I played it back to back with the Chzo Mythos and 1213 in the day.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - hmm, I have this one and STILL haven't given it a full shot...

Blasphemous - the longest sigh about how it has so much missable stuff, which makes it hard to play. The art design and music are top loving notch though.

Ender Lilies -- hm hm hm I should play this already

Vigil: The Longest Night - similar problem to Blasphemy I heard, lots of missable stuff.

Lost Ruins - I think this on is on my wishlist! Thanks!

Dead Cells (less so) - this game would be absolutely amazing if it weren't a roguelite. I like the roguelite style but not here.

Death Stranding (kinda?) --- Now here's a fascinating adjacent rec, it's so far from Hollow Knight and yet you're absolutely right, it's about exploring a ruined world and it has deeply meditative gameplay and interesting* lore.

*oh kojima

Bloodborne. :razz: --- if it came to PC I'd play it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People who dislike Doom Eternal? Hell, I'll just say it: Fake Gamers.

They should be banned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Section Z posted:

"Forced to engage with mechanics" reminds me about the weak point system.

It felt like they really wanted it to be like, a "game designer's game". The way each mechanic and power interacted with the others and formed this neat little mechanical loop felt like they were very specifically trying to impress a certain type of design-focused audience. I think they literally use the phrase "gameplay loop" in a tutorial.

It all sounds really cool in theory but when it breaks, it breaks in very unenjoyable ways which tend to involve running around waiting for power timers to reset, and there was just so much micromanagement by shooter standards.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

I got it for $3 in some wild deal and played it for about two hours. I found it incredibly boring and never launched it a second time. I don’t think patches changed much of anything except loot tables and level cap. Which is a bummer because the concept of the game sounds great but it didn’t hook me at all.

I call you my gaming brother because we always have the same opinions on games, and I had the exact same experience as you with Biomutant (except the great deal on the game)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ultrakill does what doom eternal was trying to do way better

reject doomguy, embrace robot :roboluv:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the lore in Doom Eternal that the anti-demon aliens(?) found Doomguy in Hell just going absolutely apeshit screaming and murdering demons and they are like "ok I have no idiot who this person is or what they are saying but he loving owns"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

i just can't get into nudoom because i don't like that the level design isn't the fun dense interconnected mazes of the original. the back half of doom 2016 is just a bunch of linear pathways connecting arena encounters. bleh

the neo-fps scene really picked up the slack there (project warlock for example)

"high level" doom 2 is so foreign to even stuff that neoretro FPS games are doing that I've kind of given up and let Doom 2 be its own thing. I don't think you'll ever see that kind of "herding", crowd-control with threat prioritizing gameplay that you get in like doom 2 custom maps because it's so different from anything else, which is why most of the successful neoretro shooters crib more from Quake

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"high level" doom 2 is so foreign to even stuff that neoretro FPS games are doing that I've kind of given up and let Doom 2 be its own thing. I don't think you'll ever see that kind of "herding", crowd-control with threat prioritizing gameplay that you get in like doom 2 custom maps because it's so different from anything else, which is why most of the successful neoretro shooters crib more from Quake

devil daggers is kind of that? it's a very small game though

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm sorry some people were denied the ability to play with nothing but the shotgun forever and felt this was a betrayal of their freedom, but for everyone that enjoys using every weapon in a symphony of destruction D:E is much better than 2016. Having to actually utilize every gun, grenade and mechanic to succeed feels much better than just finding a single gun that feels good and never swapping off it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It felt like they really wanted it to be like, a "game designer's game". The way each mechanic and power interacted with the others and formed this neat little mechanical loop felt like they were very specifically trying to impress a certain type of design-focused audience. I think they literally use the phrase "gameplay loop" in a tutorial.

It all sounds really cool in theory but when it breaks, it breaks in very unenjoyable ways which tend to involve running around waiting for power timers to reset, and there was just so much micromanagement by shooter standards.

Yeah, this is part of why I want to admit the rough patches to myself even though I came around to loving it. You can encourage more people to dust it off and give it another go with an overall better opinion of Eternal than the started if you are willing to admit is isn't gaming perfecting at all times.

Especially because the start of the game where you don't have enough weapons or ammo types to really "resource manage" in a satisfying way seems to be where most people bounced off, rather than later in no matter how much hype the Marauder gets.

Along those lines, oh my god it was so liberating to realize the rocket launcher has one more shot than the super shotgun. "Gee, do I shoot this imp with the pity armor shard drop modded super shotgun everyone assures me is overpowered? Or vaporize burning trash zombies and imps with rockets in a fountain of pickups so huge I can circle back for seconds?" Lock on rockets are great, but most of my rocket use was just saying gently caress it and firing rockets at something.

repiv posted:

ultrakill does what doom eternal was trying to do way better

reject doomguy, embrace robot :roboluv:
Ultra kill and Dusk also loving rule.

But I also want Mom FPS and Dad FPS to stop fighting :saddowns:

I want all the shootey games to be good instead of needing to validate themselves with the faint praise like " I'm good because Doom 2016 is retroactively poo poo."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 26, 2021

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If your looking for a retro shooter and don't mind a Early Access game, May I suggest Nightmare Reaper? Fast pace shooter shooter and a skill tree that plays like Super Mario 3 on the GBA. Worth your time I think.

Civvie 11 did a couple videos on it if you want an idea of it. The art style for the enemies in is has been redone since this video was made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4I7gfhhqbc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQvLjFRUJo

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 26, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Section Z posted:

Yeah, this is part of why I want to admit the rough patches to myself even though I came around to loving it. You can encourage more people to dust it off and give it another go with an overall better opinion of Eternal than the started if you are willing to admit is isn't gaming perfecting at all times.

Especially because the start of the game where you don't have enough weapons or ammo types to really "resource manage" in a satisfying way seems to be where most people bounced off, rather than later in no matter how much hype the Marauder gets

oh the marauders were fine, especially in areas where they start to be used as "normal" enemies which actually gives you the doom 2 feeling of having a constant threat that can't easily be eliminated, like having a doom 2 cyberdemon in a mob battle. The hard weapon counters on mob enemies were much more objectionable.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Many of the successful shooters probably ape and feel more like Quake because Quake was bad and you can make a lot more mistakes and be more fun than Quake compared to how many you can make before you're worse than Doom. There's a significant area of game design talent where if you try to make a Quake like, it will be as good as or better than Quake, but if you try to make something more like Doom, it will just blow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm usually not the type to care about this sort of thing but the unrelenting obnoxiousness of eternal's defenders are one reason it's still languishing in my steam library

you all talk like a gamepro ad, it's asinine

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

i'm usually not the type to care about this sort of thing but the unrelenting obnoxiousness of eternal's defenders are one reason it's still languishing in my steam library

Shut up, casual

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm sorry some people were denied the ability to play with nothing but the shotgun forever and felt this was a betrayal of their freedom, but for everyone that enjoys using every weapon in a symphony of destruction D:E is much better than 2016. Having to actually utilize every gun, grenade and mechanic to succeed feels much better than just finding a single gun that feels good and never swapping off it.

oh nah I get what they were trying to do I just disagree strongly with the "Feels much better" part lol. and just from doom 2 experience i just like having the encouragement of weapon usage be based on situational usage and enemy placement more enjoyable than like, counters and low ammo pools

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

K8.0 posted:

Many of the successful shooters probably ape and feel more like Quake because Quake was bad and you can make a lot more mistakes and be more fun than Quake compared to how many you can make before you're worse than Doom. There's a significant area of game design talent where if you try to make a Quake like, it will be as good as or better than Quake, but if you try to make something more like Doom, it will just blow.

I like quake but i kinda mean more like fights against smaller encounters of mostly like, "midtier" hard hitting enemies, and a lot of emphasis on rocket launcher use, but I haven't played that many neoretro shooters tbf

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quake is real good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

thankfully doom 2 players are sophisticated and cultured and incredibly cool. and also handsome

Ghostlight posted:

Quake is real good.

It has some problems but I really like the level design, in retrospect it's one of the last great stands of that kind of totally abstract puzzle-like level design until Unreal and Half Life changed the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I won’t defend the game from most of the things people complain about, marauders loving sucked and so did the story, but I think the game’s good parts were so strong that it was well worth playing and you would be doing yourself a disservice to skip it. Everyone ends up having their own opinion on it, so play it and form yours and then YOU! can write obnoxious posts about it too

Game essentially felt like the highs were higher but the lows were lower compared to doom 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

Games that have scratched the Hollow Knight itch for me:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Blasphemous
Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights
edit: I started playing Grime recently and that also scratches the itch, but it's a weird fuckin game.

Valdis Story predates Hollow Knight but is similarly metroidvania. It’s anime as hell with a silly plot but it has beautiful visuals and music and a pretty interesting combat system besides - very fighting game like combos and such. I enjoyed it a lot but it’s pretty old nowadays. Still maybe check it out if you haven’t, there’s an LP in the archives too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

marauders, like the white palace, are good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

System Shock -- ooh good suggestion for replaying, I honestly prefer 1 to 2 though both are bangers. 2 contains bugs as well if I remember right!

Vangers (this is the most bugs-y one. Unless you meant the other kind of bugs. :v:) --- oh god that game is an acid trip. I love it.

Iji (Free and not on Steam) -- played this one ages ago, loved how it reacted to who/how much you killed. Great stuff, can't believe it was free. I played it back to back with the Chzo Mythos and 1213 in the day.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - hmm, I have this one and STILL haven't given it a full shot...

Blasphemous - the longest sigh about how it has so much missable stuff, which makes it hard to play. The art design and music are top loving notch though.

Ender Lilies -- hm hm hm I should play this already

Vigil: The Longest Night - similar problem to Blasphemy I heard, lots of missable stuff.

Lost Ruins - I think this on is on my wishlist! Thanks!

Dead Cells (less so) - this game would be absolutely amazing if it weren't a roguelite. I like the roguelite style but not here.

Death Stranding (kinda?) --- Now here's a fascinating adjacent rec, it's so far from Hollow Knight and yet you're absolutely right, it's about exploring a ruined world and it has deeply meditative gameplay and interesting* lore.

*oh kojima

Bloodborne. :razz: --- if it came to PC I'd play it

System Shock 1 rules. :hf:

If you haven't played Iji in the last... 4-5? years, there's a few new things.

Momodora is also quite short, probably 5 or so hours for a first playthrough.

Also thought of a few others.

For more direct comparisons

Axiom Verge
Environmental Station Alpha
Death's Gambit
Nier
Genshin Impact (Less oppressive ruins than most of these suggestions but legitimately excellent for the exploration part. be warned though, a mobage with a gacha)
Shadow of the Colossus (I think you'd need to emulate it?)
Titan Souls
Legend of Grimrock

Cave Story and Owlboy (kinda)

For some more abstract ones

I forget the name, but someone else in the thread can probably remember; A game where you send off probes to try and figure out what caused the apocalypse in space. I think it was a single word title.

LISA the Painful RPG
Anodyne 1 & 2
OneShot (Doesn't have any kind of combat at all)
Echo Night (No combat again, you'd have to emulate it)
Little Nightmares (last one with no combat)
Fear and Hunger (note: I've never played it; Apparently it's a game that's 1:1 Berserk with all the nouns changed, so there's some sexual violence and so on.)

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 26, 2021

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the horde mode they added to eternal is pretty fun if that's your thing

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Shard posted:

Single Player RPGs are my favorite. Stuff with choices. Favorite games are Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect trilogy, Baldur's Gate that kinda stuff.
Couple of extremely charming RPGs that barely anyone's played:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/12640/Drakensang/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/33770/Drakensang_The_River_of_Time/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

crepeface posted:

In Doom Eternal you are now so heavily encouraged to use specific counters for demons that it can feel restrictive compared to Doom 2016 which is more open about how players approach the tactical puzzle. Which game you prefer is the classic honer vs innovator player split.

Ah yes, the innovator gameplay of "do I wanna left click enemies with supershotty until I win or do I wanna left click enemies with railgun until I win".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Ah yes, the innovator gameplay of "do I wanna left click enemies with supershotty until I win or do I wanna left click enemies with railgun until I win".

The biggest puzzle of Doom 2016: which runes to use so that I have essentially unlimited ammo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The hard weapon counters on mob enemies were much more objectionable.

Hard weapon counters aren't a thing until the DLCs and even then it's only two support enemies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

The biggest puzzle of Doom 2016: which runes to use so that I have essentially unlimited ammo.

Oh yeah, I forgot. That completely broke any difficulty of the second half over its knee.

I don't like talking poo poo about 2016, it was amazing, but there a massive difference in combat design quality between Eternal and 2016 that's as big as the difference between 2016 and most other FPSs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot. That completely broke any difficulty of the second half over its knee.

I don't like talking poo poo about 2016, it was amazing, but there a massive difference in combat design quality between Eternal and 2016 that's as big as the difference between 2016 and most other FPSs.

Yeah I liked 2016, but Eternal was just that much better.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
drat dude, did you write the story for doom eternal or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought it was Drakengard for a moment and was pretty concerned

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- bugs
- satisfying combat

Do NOT say Dark Souls

Haven't seen anyone mention La Mulana, which is surprising. The Explorer Feels are unparalleled IMO -- you're going deep into hostile ruins where almost everything you see could potentially be part of some grander puzzle and just when you think you've reached a dead end, new layers of the world reveal themselves to you. The game's reputation for bullshit puzzles isn't entirely undeserved, but even if you have to consult a guide now and again it's still a rewarding game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't use a guide. But do keep a notebook by the computer. Much more fun that way

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't use a guide. But do keep a notebook by the computer. Much more fun that way

It's been a long time since I've played (it was the Wii eShop version if that tells you anything) but there was some bullshit near the end that I just remember that I would have never figured out in a million years lol. Honestly the sequel is better in almost every regard IMO but I wouldn't recommend jumping straight in because a lot of the cool things it does are like subversions of things in La Mulana 1 and they'd lose some of their spark if you never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress La Mulana, the puzzles start out as actual puzzles, then turn into "hump all walls to see if you can walk through them", and finally culminate in total horseshit that feels like the dev's got a point to prove.