Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Need for Speed Heat's game world and tone made me want to drive on the sidewalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FH5 really can't get enough of sucking the players dick in dialogue, like you're the best racer ever, and then you will do a thing and it'll proudly announce "you're in the top 100%!"

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Near miss! 100xp

Collision master! 100xp

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Awesome wreckage! is the dumbest, you get that for hitting anything breakable I think. Can you turn these off? It would greatly improve my experience if I could do that when I get that game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

marshmallow creep posted:

FH5 really can't get enough of sucking the players dick in dialogue, like you're the best racer ever, and then you will do a thing and it'll proudly announce "you're in the top 100%!"

Getting your dick sucked seems like a really dangerous choice when you’re racing at high speed just imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's why it offers so many points. it's a very daring stunt

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SMT 5 has about 10000% more platforming than I'm looking for in an SMT game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah the "story" in FH5 just seems silly. I get it for some of the sets of sidequests, since it lets them set up stuff like you doing stunts for a movie production, but the overall plot is such a low-effort "wow you're doing great, keep on doing great" "thanks, I will" framing device that it's like, why bother.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
There's a Horizon Story :tm: where you race against some rich guys who don't really care about having fun while racing, they only care about winning!

Those drat rich kids I keep thinking while I drive around in one of my several Koenigeggs to get to a spot where I can ramp one of my 10 Ferraris off of a cliff while lighting a cigar with a Porsche.
Oh poo poo I didn't nail that time challenge, better restart!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another complaint I have is that the user-supplied content that shows up seems to be all over the place without regard to rating. Sometimes you'll get fun stuff like "here's the fastest car in the game and a giant ramp, have fun", but other times you'll get absolute poo poo like "do 20 5-minute laps on this track" :effort:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Another complaint I have is that the user-supplied content that shows up seems to be all over the place without regard to rating. Sometimes you'll get fun stuff like "here's the fastest car in the game and a giant ramp, have fun", but other times you'll get absolute poo poo like "do 20 5-minute laps on this track" :effort:

Is there a rule that users have to complete their own creations?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there a rule that users have to complete their own creations?

I dunno but I wouldn't be surprised. There are definitely jerks people out there who like stuff like that

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Some of the weird custom content is also because some people use an "exploit" where you use a car with great handling, activate all driver assists, tie down the right trigger and load up a three hour long race. With all driving assist active the game plays itself and you return three hours later to a shitton of money and skill points. There are a ton of custom races right now custom made for that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Forza Horizon 5 was also weird because I bought the deluxe pack and the controller (I love how gaudy it is) but the DLC didn't unlock immediately. I could go to the menu page and see 'This is locked to only people with the Forza Horizon Controller!' while holding said controller or all of the cars marked as already purchased. It all unlocked after you finish the arbitrary point that ended the tutorial but it would have been nice if there was some indication of the stuff being progress gated instead of making me think the dlc was busted.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I am tempted to buy that game just so I can buy all the mods for my car I can’t afford and also crash it into things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's a drat fun game despite my complaints, and having it show up after I'd already subscribed to GamePass made it a literal infinite fun-to-cost ratio

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Assassins' Creed III Remaster

Of the 42 story missions, the first 20 are the prologue.

You can't craft any upgrades until you've beaten 31 of those missions too.

It takes two hours to unlock all the fast-travel points, longer than the time you'd save by fast-travelling.

The word "Taxes" should not feature in a story where you play an assassin.

Desmond is loving ugly.

Despite all the time-wasting this is the one installment with a sensible amount of collectibles.

The Homestead story-line is really good compared to the actual main plot. There's a gulf of creativity between the two.

Any scene where Haytham doesnt appear I ask myself "Where's Haytham?"

For a game with a Mohawk protagonist there is precious little do with his culture and a lot to do old white colonist geezers. Same thing as Origins.

I somehow mastered the Chasing Lee mission first try.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Following up my earlier complaint about Yakuza 3's combat tuning, I managed to power through the game all the way through to the end boss. I got 2/3 through and he just started spamming heal moves that recover HP literally faster than I can punch him to interrupt it. He got a big chunk of his second healthbar back before I had a "what the gently caress am I even doing" moment, deleted the game, and watched the last ten minutes on youtube. :smugdog:
The story's great, but the combat is just weirdly bad compared to every other game I've played so far.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Assassins' Creed III Remaster
The word "Taxes" should not feature in a story where you play an assassin.

assassin's creed 3 isn't great but i feel like taxes are kind of important to bring up in a story about the american revolution

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

somepartsareme posted:

assassin's creed 3 isn't great but i feel like taxes are kind of important to bring up in a story about the american revolution

Star Wars Episode I putting the word 'Taxes' in the opening scroll was an omen of things to come.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Following up my earlier complaint about Yakuza 3's combat tuning, I managed to power through the game all the way through to the end boss. I got 2/3 through and he just started spamming heal moves that recover HP literally faster than I can punch him to interrupt it. He got a big chunk of his second healthbar back before I had a "what the gently caress am I even doing" moment, deleted the game, and watched the last ten minutes on youtube. :smugdog:
The story's great, but the combat is just weirdly bad compared to every other game I've played so far.

were you playing on easy? you should be playing on easy. no-one enjoys being challenged by yakuza 3 combat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

were you playing on easy? you should be playing on easy. no-one enjoys being challenged by yakuza 3 combat

Oh absolutely, I fully accept that I suck at most games. And it was still rough. Even on easy, pretty much every random chapter boss was more of a tough slog than the final bosses in the other games, to say nothing about this final boss.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A pair of related things I've realized I hate, especially when together:

1. Being unable to change difficulty modes mid-playthrough (at least, for a long-haul campaign; I'm not mad when Civ can't, for example)

2. When the 'hard' difficulty is too hard, but the one under it is too easy.

I've been playing the Kingdom Hearts games lately, and all of them have the first problem, with some of them also having the second. I like being challenged by games at least a bit, I like the general gameplay of the later KH games (not the first, first is too simple), but sometimes Proud Mode just cracks out the total bullshit for a fight and there's nothing you can really do. Chain of Memories had this pretty bad.

Persona 5 had changeable difficulties, but also got randomly unfair right near the end, which ended up pretty unsatisfying; I was able to scrap through most of the game on Hard, but then the final few boss fights had attacks I literally could not survive. So then I scaled down to Normal, and suddenly the almighty evil was a goddamn pushover.

Incidentally, I was very happy to find out that even on Normal difficulty SMTV doesn't gently caress around, so no problem there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i dread to think of who might play it on hard. they could walk among us, hidden, looking like normal people

still, 3 is a bit of an aberration and stuff gets better and better as games go on. slight dip in 6 as it's a new engine but eh

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm playing Kiwami 2 on hard because I wasn't taking meaningful damage on normal.
Konami is kicking my rear end in the arena though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

4 already feels like a step up. Well, in the five minutes of game I've played in the first 90 minutes of cutscenes

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

i dread to think of who might play it on hard. they could walk among us, hidden, looking like normal people

still, 3 is a bit of an aberration and stuff gets better and better as games go on. slight dip in 6 as it's a new engine but eh

See I just hit 5 and I feel like my "every even numbered yakuza title is good (and odd are bad)" theory is only ruined by 7 right now. What is all this taxi poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

See I just hit 5 and I feel like my "every even numbered yakuza title is good (and odd are bad)" theory is only ruined by 7 right now. What is all this taxi poo poo.

the best minigame in the series

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the best minigame in the series

That's definitely a weird way to spell Pocket Racing but I suppose I'll allow it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I ran the whole series on Legend pretty recently. :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i mostly remember throwing people a lot in Y3. so much circle-button mashing

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
This is probably more of a personal problem then something dragging down the game, but: I've just started Divinity: Original Sin 2 and it seems weirdly hard and I have genuinely no idea what I'm meant to be doing. The tutorial messages the game has provided do seem to shed some light on things, but I still feel almost completely lost. I've succeeded on completing some small quests at Fort Joy, but my successes in combat have been few and far between, it feels like I'm just barely scraping out wins and certain fights just seem to be way beyond what my party can do. In particular I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be at in terms of equipment, I've got some basic weapons but I can't seem to find much armor for the party and without that I tend to get rocked pretty hard by the enemy's opening salvo. Those crocodile things seem unbeatable at the moment.

It's weird because I think I understand the way in which the game is supposed to work in theory, since I've played other games similar to this and done okay in those, but I can't seem to get started with this one. I've been able to win a couple of fights after of the voidspawn things outside the fort, but it was a lot of knockdown arrow spam and slowly whittling down the target.

I'm playing on Classic difficulty, which I assumed was like the moderate difficulty, for folks who have played, am I mistaken here?

The game is just A Lot and while I really like the setting, the writing and like everything surrounding the gameplay I'm having a really hard time getting it to click.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

dracula vladdy AF posted:

This is probably more of a personal problem then something dragging down the game, but: I've just started Divinity: Original Sin 2 and it seems weirdly hard and I have genuinely no idea what I'm meant to be doing. The tutorial messages the game has provided do seem to shed some light on things, but I still feel almost completely lost. I've succeeded on completing some small quests at Fort Joy, but my successes in combat have been few and far between, it feels like I'm just barely scraping out wins and certain fights just seem to be way beyond what my party can do. In particular I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be at in terms of equipment, I've got some basic weapons but I can't seem to find much armor for the party and without that I tend to get rocked pretty hard by the enemy's opening salvo. Those crocodile things seem unbeatable at the moment.

It's weird because I think I understand the way in which the game is supposed to work in theory, since I've played other games similar to this and done okay in those, but I can't seem to get started with this one. I've been able to win a couple of fights after of the voidspawn things outside the fort, but it was a lot of knockdown arrow spam and slowly whittling down the target.

I'm playing on Classic difficulty, which I assumed was like the moderate difficulty, for folks who have played, am I mistaken here?

The game is just A Lot and while I really like the setting, the writing and like everything surrounding the gameplay I'm having a really hard time getting it to click.

I had to restart with about three different character builds before it clicked with me. IIRC it’s better to compose your party to either all do magic or all do physical damage, or a 3:1 split. 2 magic and 2 physical is much weaker.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

How! posted:

I had to restart with about three different character builds before it clicked with me. IIRC it’s better to compose your party to either all do magic or all do physical damage, or a 3:1 split. 2 magic and 2 physical is much weaker.

I read this somewhere, I think it was Before I Play, and have been trying to stick with a strictly physical party. I don't think I'm far enough in for it to make a major impact, but it's something.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel like both of the D:OS games had an early game issue where it seems relatively open, but the enemy strength is pretty different in certain directions and there's no indication where would be appropriate to go. A bigger problem for one than two, but still.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Act 3 in Dragon Quest 11 feels like a massive difficulty spike and makes me feel like I have to grind a bunch again despite being at level 60. I barely survived the fights with The hypnotised MMA fighters and second Arachtagon and that bird on top of Cobblestone Tor I also barely survived. The stories and sidequests are cool, but it's a huge spike compared to act 2.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Act 3 in Dragon Quest 11 feels like a massive difficulty spike and makes me feel like I have to grind a bunch again despite being at level 60. I barely survived the fights with The hypnotised MMA fighters and second Arachtagon and that bird on top of Cobblestone Tor I also barely survived. The stories and sidequests are cool, but it's a huge spike compared to act 2.

That was when I had to turn off auto combat and actually start playing the combat. But it's worth it in the end

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, there's not really much to it other than build yourself up for the boss' levels now. If you're using greatswords, I'd recommend going to the First Forest Whale Way Station and fighting the Spawny Devils there till they drop their greatswords. Those things are an absurd power jump for equipment and should help even things out a bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So, I’ve played the main six Ace Attorney games and this is really a small nitpick:

The games transition from being 2D to 3D and there’s a lot of effort put into making the most out of the 3D models to make them largely more energetic and endearing than the old GBA games could be. They’re also very faithful to the old GBA sprites’ animations, which actually bugs me a tiny bit when it comes up with Phoenix who looks kinda…simple compared to the little quirks of most characters’ models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, there's not really much to it other than build yourself up for the boss' levels now. If you're using greatswords, I'd recommend going to the First Forest Whale Way Station and fighting the Spawny Devils there till they drop their greatswords. Those things are an absurd power jump for equipment and should help even things out a bit.

Also there’s the usual Obligatory Dragon Quest Postgame Budget Dungeon that reuses assets from the main story that unlocks by getting to the end of the postgame story. It feels like you’re meant to intermittently do that along with the postgame story arcs.