Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The funniest part about this is that it's actually a loving great example of our ability to catch and track something like this, and also an amazing example of our unwillingness to do anything at all about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

text editor posted:

Any good black Friday deals on respirators and filters for the end of the world?

you betcha. code BF2021 at industrial safety products dot com :cheeky:

Sundown Forum
Nov 12, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sooooo, that spike in Midwest cases...

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Trip to the grocery store 2023 gonna have the atmosphere of a Dark Souls level

I'll be sure to write try vaccinate but hole on the ground in sharpie

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

theoretical maximum

Alpha vaccine:

Nu vaccine:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Taiwan almost number 1

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 26, 2021

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

We’ll that was fast, not surprising to say the least

Is it weird all this news is coming out tonight

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Glumwheels posted:

i'm so used to the media taking the "live with covid" line that the immediate traction in the press that this variant has gotten feels super fuckin alarming

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

its weird we don't have months of watching it slowly build before everyone else noticed, i wasn't expecting <24hrs between github updates and major news items

edit:

Innocuous posted:

i'm so used to the media taking the "live with covid" line that the immediate traction in the press that this variant has gotten feels super fuckin alarming

yeah, very much in agreement

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vaccination is the only known method to prevent the development of tumors when chickens are infected with the virus. However, administration of the vaccine does not prevent an infected bird from shedding the virus, though it does reduce the amount of virus shed in the dander, hence reducing horizontal spread of the disease. Marek's disease does not spread vertically.

Before the development of the vaccine for Marek's disease, Marek's disease caused substantial revenue loss in the poultry industries of the United States and the United Kingdom. The vaccine can be administered to one-day-old chicks through subcutaneous inoculation or by in ovo vaccination when the eggs are transferred from the incubator to the hatcher. In ovo vaccination is the preferred method, as it does not require handling of the chicks and can be done rapidly by automated methods. Immunity develops within two weeks.

Because vaccination does not prevent infection with the virus, Marek's is still transmissible from vaccinated flocks to other birds, including the wild bird population. The first Marek's disease vaccine was introduced in 1970. The disease would cause mild paralysis, with the only identifiable lesions being in neural tissue. Mortality of chickens infected with Marek's disease was quite low. Current strains of Marek virus, decades after the first vaccine was introduced, cause lymphoma formation throughout the chicken's body and mortality rates have reached 100% in unvaccinated chickens. The Marek's disease vaccine is a "leaky vaccine", which means that only the symptoms of the disease are prevented. Infection of the host and the transmission of the virus are not inhibited by the vaccine. This contrasts with most other vaccines, where infection of the host is prevented. Under normal conditions, highly virulent strains of the virus are not selected. A highly virulent strain would kill the host before the virus would have an opportunity to transmit to other potential hosts and replicate. Thus, less virulent strains are selected. These strains are virulent enough to induce symptoms but not enough to kill the host, allowing further transmission. However, the leaky vaccine changes this evolutionary pressure and permits the evolution of highly virulent strains. The vaccine's inability to prevent infection and transmission allows the spread of highly virulent strains among vaccinated chickens. The fitness of the more virulent strains is increased by the vaccine.

The evolution of Marek's disease due to vaccination has had a profound effect on the poultry industry. All chickens across the globe are now vaccinated against Marek's disease (birds hatched in private flocks for laying or exhibition are rarely vaccinated). Highly virulent strains have been selected to the point that any chicken that is unvaccinated will die if infected.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stoop Kid posted:

if Nu bypasses vaccines it’ll get a whole lot less partisan in ICU’s lol

there will be a Nu vaccine

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Highly virulent strains have been selected to the point that any chicken that is unvaccinated will die if infected.

Israel better go back to the morgue and sequence all their recent deaths too

loving lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I think it was #MuKrew #TeamMu #DeltaIsOver

#NuKrew #TeamNu #DeltaIsOver

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

jetz0r posted:

Nu Game+

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gio posted:

naw, the song thats playing right now is undersea palace at the WHO
lol yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecvmQxFbkc&t=86s

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

jetz0r posted:

Nu Game+

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

this is what the scientist looking through a microscope says when he sees the virus powering up to a level even further beyond delta and the microscope's power level sensor overloads and explodes

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1464142095866900482

it's red friday

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
what’s Nu?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1464112344049455106

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanksgiving was yesterday, binch

It's Red Friday

zone
Dec 6, 2016

number go down (safely)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmDYJBZZdc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Nubian variant

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Innocuous posted:

Yeah, same feeling here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McNugget Buddy posted:

It's Red Friday

Red sky at morning
Remember sailor's warning

Red sky at night
Gandhi's delight

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Red sky at morning
Remember sailor's warning

Red sky at night
Gandhi's delight

Should have taken warning, it's just
People mourning
Running, hiding, lost
You can't find, find a place to go, so it's

Red skies at night
Red skies at night

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
So much for No Nu November.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao that India and South Africa both asked for our great leaders to stop murdering them with IP laws more than a year ago. Then they bred a new variant in India that hosed the whole capitalist world for a year and now we get a new one from South Africa. How about we try not being a dick? For once?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

Yes

Pretty much zero reason beyond sanity testing for a couple weeks to make sure it doesn't give you cancer

Realistically we could have updated the vaccine for Delta back in like, September

Nu vaccine could come online in February, in theory

Nu is looking like a pretty good vaccine candidate, as it has all the other variants baked in, and Nu is certainly a lot closer to the theoretical maximum

I would enrol in a challenge trial for an mRNA vaccine targeting B.1.1.529 immediately, provided certain ethical considerations were met. Chief among them is to perform antibody titration and exclude from challenge anyone with levels that could not reasonably be expected to protect them.

In a matter of weeks, we’d have a pretty good idea of safety and a lower bound on efficacy—not the gold standard of RCTs, but if participants are exposed and don’t get sick, it probably wasn’t the Grape Nuts they had for breakfast that protected them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gently caress off, Monica.

You think that the virus has a “just visiting” space in the nose of vaccinated persons.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Do I do a grocery store run tomorrow or wait until Monday when I'd normally go? How quick do y'all think the panic buying is going to start on this

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

covid is back baby,.... summer of love!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

genericnick posted:

Lmao that India and South Africa both asked for our great leaders to stop murdering them with IP laws more than a year ago. Then they bred a new variant in India that hosed the whole capitalist world for a year and now we get a new one from South Africa. How about we try not being a dick? For once?

Well have you ever met a nice South African

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

or it's not back? i dunno im not keeping up.. it's ahoax anyway

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Platystemon posted:

I would enrol in a challenge trial for an mRNA vaccine targeting B.1.1.529 immediately, provided certain ethical considerations were met. Chief among them is to perform antibody titration and exclude from challenge anyone with levels that could not reasonably be expected to protect them.

In a matter of weeks, we’d have a pretty good idea of safety and a lower bound on efficacy—not the gold standard of RCTs, but if participants are exposed and don’t get sick, it probably wasn’t the Grape Nuts they had for breakfast that protected them.

I’m down for this too except not fussed about ethical considerations, pump me full of whatever, vax me at horse levels idc

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do I do a grocery store run tomorrow or wait until Monday when I'd normally go? How quick do y'all think the panic buying is going to start on this

if you aren't camped out already you're not going to get anything good on black friday

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’m down for this too except not fussed about ethical considerations, pump me full of whatever, vax me at horse levels idc

It's not even for science the guys at the lab just thought it would be funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

you've been enrolled in a trial for ivermectin