Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

tsob posted:

No, in this case I think I just remembered wrong about the character and thought Logain was a channeler for a lot longer in the story. He presumably isn't so, and I'm probably just mixing him up with a different character or something.

Your probably thinking of this:

(Logain's arc)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gwaihir posted:

Your probably thinking of this:

*snip*

I was, but only realized it after reading up on the character on the Wikia. That's a pretty big book spoiler though, so it's probably worth removing now that I'm clear on where my confusion lay after mixing up things.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

:powercatte:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Soooooooo is this latest episode suggesting that Nynaeve is the Dragon Reborn? Wild, if true.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Best episode so far. I loved Moiraine asking for an elevator pitch, Nynaeve’s “That woman is a snake,” and Thom’s fight with the Fade. I’m coming around to the book changes; I think the show is in good hands.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Soooooooo is this latest episode suggesting that Nynaeve is the Dragon Reborn? Wild, if true.
the series is trying very hard to not make Rand obviously the Dragon Reborn. Mat also got a bit of misdirection. It's working so far.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nihilarian posted:

the series is trying very hard to not make Rand obviously the Dragon Reborn. Mat also got a bit of misdirection. It's working so far.

Hey, it's got me believing!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I Am Fowl posted:

The show is doing a good job of setting up pretty much everyone to be a possible candidate. Nynaeve and Matt were pretty heavily suggested this episode as possible candidates, but the end of the last episode and beginning of this one had a fake out that maybe it was Logain, who isn't even one of the main group. It hasn't leaned as hard on Egwene, Rand or Perrin yet, but there's still some stuff there to imply it could be one of them too, even if it hasn't focused as much on them. It'd be a real ballsy move for them to switch it up from the books, but I can't say as I'd inherently hate it either.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I very much doubt they're going to change it, but I think keeping everyone guessing is a good move. It's not like the books are obvious about it at first either, and they already revealed some things early which the books kept as a mystery for longer.

The reason I don't think they're going to change it is they're already hinting at what the other characters have going on in their own arcs. They haven't really done so for Rand other than when he breaks the door down. He's also the first of the Two Rivers gang we get introduced to.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 26, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat this episode loving ruled holy poo poo

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This was a real good episode, this show has some potential when it's firing on its cylinders.

They obviously won't change it to Mat since he got recast

Edit: lol I forgot by the end of the episode that this episode was written by Dave loving Hill. I guess people can improve.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 26, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

navyjack posted:

Black tendrils for Saidin confirmation.

Something that i've noticed about that.

The black tendrils appear to surround white. Like an oily layer over top of pure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
God loving dammit I'm mad how great that episode was.

I didn't want to be all-in on this loving show but I guess I am

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CainFortea posted:

The black tendrils appear to surround white. Like an oily layer over top of pure.

it's an awesome touch

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I really like the way they do magic in this show. It’s very kinetic and it doesn’t mess with my suspension of disbelief.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
(ep4 spoiler) Hard to tell if Nynaeve is a fake-out. I love that they have me guessing. Cool episode.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 28, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That "Am I pronouncing it wrong?" felt like a personal attack upon me for pronouncing it that way all this time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

That "Am I pronouncing it wrong?" felt like a personal attack upon me for pronouncing it that way all this time.

It was a cool moment, that made me think the writers of the show get WoT. She is trying to get info from Nynaeve (like from where she is, from the accent) from the villager-looking companion, as Liandrin knows Moraine and Lan won't say anything about their goals.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 26, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The music from the end of the ep is on Youtube and it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYDYxkmqEI

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So when the barmaid said she saw five of them in her dreams, Nynaeve was the fifth she was talking about, not Logain I gather?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

canepazzo posted:

So when the barmaid said she saw five of them in her dreams, Nynaeve was the fifth she was talking about, not Logain I gather?

Yes. But remember Matt, Rand, Perrin and Egwene think Nynaeve is dead.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

navyjack posted:

Honestly, I was in before this ep, but it was with all the caveats “Can’t be a direct adaptation”, “Happy they’re even making it,” “Not on board with all the changes but giving them the benefit of the doubt.”

After this ep, I’m all in. The warders were awesome. I loved Owein and Ihvon being all cuddly. I totally took the bait in the Grimewell farmhouse and was about to rage-quit but then…redemption. Logain is cool as hell but I still see Curtis Armstrong every time I see him. His channeling and the taint were awesome.

If they can keep this pace and quality it’s gonna be a hell of a ride.
Same for me. There were several moments before that made me really like what they were doing (Perrin's wife, Thom's introduction, the Darkfriend, etc), but this episode a whole lot of stuff came together to really make it unabashedly awesome.

I really liked the feeling of uselessness that Nynaeve exhibited during the fight against Logain's army. The Warders and the Aes Sedai doing all this awesome stuff and blowing stuff up left and right. Meanwhile Nynaeve, after some frantic searching, gets out a tiny little butter knife (still manages to kill the guy attacking her though). And then that moment at the end where she shows her potential. Simply awesome.

I also really liked how they show the taint and the resulting madness with Logain.

Is there any way to see those X-Ray animes somewhere? They don't show on my TV.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

DTurtle posted:

Is there any way to see those X-Ray animes somewhere? They don't show on my TV.

Personally I gotta look them up on my phone or computer, I think only certain apps have the ability to show the shorts

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 4 is the best one so far.

Good acting all around.

A real castle and real armor in the intro with Logain, no need of fake cgi. I liked how they show that even if he hear voices, he still have agency, he can chooses to ignore them and do what is right.

The game of ‘who is the DR’ is cool (or at least I imagine it is for the new audience). Here they give reasons for both Mat and Nynaeve.

Some AS politics are presented, some of the different Ajahs, the relations between AS and their guardians, the tinker’s philosophy is presented too (and how some young ones are less convinced), and how it relates to Perrin situation.

Thom’s situation with the nephew is explained, which also serves to explain more about the corruption.
The brief fight with the Fade is well done, and Mat’s issues start to be more clear.

Lan and Nynaeve have a nice talk, warming up to each other, and introducing Lan's association with Malkier.

Finally we have the battle at the end. It’s properly setup (AS are tired from the shielding task, two of them are in the cave, so they have some disadvantage), the Dragon’s army is presented how they are, just a bunch of unorganized soldiers and bandits and other riffraff, so they don’t attack with good coordination (which serves as excuse of why they don’t appear more than two dozen at a time in the screen). And the use of Power was good, like reusing the arrows, or the Earth explosions.

edit: one more thing, I liked how they mention in pair of occasions the Wheel, the past or future reincarnations, how they expect to be better on the next turning, etc. It's an important part of their beliefs (well, not only beliefs, more like facts in this world)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

they're explicitly shown coming out as white at first but then the black corruption snakes out on a delay, it's a very nice touch

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not surprisingly, #Nynaeve was trending on Twitter after the episode, but seeing screencaps of her big moment is making me wonder: the show establishes that women can't see the male half through dialogue Moiraine has, if I recall (and it's in the show notes for the episode regardless) and the implication men can't see the female half (again; explicit in the trivia), so why was Nynaeve like a raging sun to Logain when she channeled? It's a really cool moment, so I'm happy to overlook it regardless, but it is kind of weird that he seems to have seen her power when she channeled.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

Not surprisingly, #Nynaeve was trending on Twitter after the episode, but seeing screencaps of her big moment is making me wonder: the show establishes that women can't see the male half through dialogue Moiraine has, if I recall (and it's in the show notes for the episode regardless) and the implication men can't see the female half (again; explicit in the trivia), so why was Nynaeve like a raging sun to Logain when she channeled? It's a really cool moment, so I'm happy to overlook it regardless, but it is kind of weird that he seems to have seen her power when she channeled.

probably, as someone that has healed people before, recognizes that healing a room full of people that are Going To Be Fully Dead In Seconds simultaneously is an astonishing feat that takes a spectacular amount of power

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

eke out posted:

probably, as someone that has healed people before, recognizes that healing a room full of people that are Going To Be Fully Dead In Seconds simultaneously is an astonishing feat that takes a spectacular amount of power

I suppose it could be that, but at the same time as soon as the light of the One Power starts coming out of her he turns his eyes away and seems to have trouble actually looking at her. It suggests he's seeing the weave, rather than just seeing the effect. You can just head canon it to be him being overly dramatic or something I suppose; but it's just an odd reaction, in context.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In the book, Logain has the Talent to see ta'veren.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In the book, Logain has the Talent to see ta'veren.

Does he? That definitely slipped my mind if he did. Regardless, just re-watching the final few minutes again and I love the fact that despite Liandrin being set up as "a snake" that when the Green Aes Sedai dies she's obviously pissed and appears to be ready to burn herself out for revenge on Logain for doing it. It humanizes her in a nice little way. She's still not even slightly trustworthy or anything, but she's not a machine or cipher for a particular ideal at the same time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 26, 2021

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Kinda wanna know how they did that neat super saiyan hair thing in live action.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

tsob posted:

I suppose it could be that, but at the same time as soon as the light of the One Power starts coming out of her he turns his eyes away and seems to have trouble actually looking at her. It suggests he's seeing the weave, rather than just seeing the effect. You can just head canon it to be him being overly dramatic or something I suppose; but it's just an odd reaction, in context.

Options that to me feel like they mesh with the books:

1. Nynaeve isn't just weaving for healing. Unconsciously in this huge release of power/weaves, she is literally weaving a blinding light as well as the healing itself. Plus even if Logain can't see the weaves, he knows the strength required to heal just one person, and Nynaeve is healing the whole room.
2. Logain can see ta'veren. The show has already implied that Egwene is ta'veren, maybe Nynaeve is as well, and her potential as a strong ta'veren is unlocked in a way in that moment.
3. Men can at least sense women channelling. Maybe that's enhanced in the show to the point where they can see/feel the power more, even if the weaves themselves are invisible.

Of course, maybe it is changed, and maybe it's just for dramatic effect.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tsob posted:

Does he? That definitely slipped my mind if he did.

Yeah, that's why Logain (1st book spoiler) makes eye contact with Rand in Caemlyn. He comments on it later, says he saw someone in Caemlyn who glowed like the sun and who will shake the world a thousand times worse than he ever did. It's not explicitly stated as "Logain can see ta'veren" but it's clear enough from context that that's what's going on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I had another thought. Perhaps the light is a side effect of the healing, because she's just doing it so powerfully. And she hasn't learned to be economical with her weaving.

So the light may have been the magic equivalent of charonkov radiation

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

One minor thing I really liked was how far back the Fade flew/glided when Thom kicked it. Just subtly unnatural.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Kinda wanna know how they did that neat super saiyan hair thing in live action.

Wires from offscreen.

Small hydraulic pipes that run out your collar and into your braids.

A massive balloon and a wooly sweater.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I just had a really depressing thought, y’all. Not only do I have to wait seven more days until the next episode, but in about a month I’m going to have to wait a lot longer even than that.

Episode 4 was awesome, but I have a question about it: isn’t one of the Three Oaths not to use the One Power as a weapon, except in the last extreme? What Alanna did with the arrows doesn’t seem like it should qualify, as the battle hadn’t even been joined yet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grundulum posted:

I just had a really depressing thought, y’all. Not only do I have to wait seven more days until the next episode, but in about a month I’m going to have to wait a lot longer even than that.

Episode 4 was awesome, but I have a question about it: isn’t one of the Three Oaths not to use the One Power as a weapon, except in the last extreme? What Alanna did with the arrows doesn’t seem like it should qualify, as the battle hadn’t even been joined yet.

bad guys shot arrows at them that would've killed them if they hadn't used magic. i think this does a good job establishing that that's more than enough to let an aes sedai kill you if they want to

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Grundulum posted:

I'm pretty sure 'about to be impaled by arrows' counts as a life-threatening situation

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Besides the first episode all the other three have been awesome. The magic has looked awesome but the sword fights have been pretty lacking so far so I hope that is something they improve on. I feel like they are getting all the main characters pretty good right now but I am curious how Rand will come across in the show without any inner dialog. So far he is the most boring one out of the group 4 episodes in.

If this show is popular enough I hope Amazon throws a boat of cash to make a knockoff Elder Scrolls game in the Wheel of time World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Sorry, wasn’t clear enough with my question, I guess (still Ep 4 spoilers): stopping the arrows is clearly not using the One Power as a weapon, but firing them at the ground right as the archers pass under seems like a stretch. (As an aside, I’ve never been in combat myself so I probably should not be judging others—but it sure struck me as a really dumb idea to run directly under the rain of arrows being suspended in midair by the angry witch.) I guess creative interpretation of the Three Oaths is as natural as breathing to Aes Sedai, so maybe I am just overthinking this.