Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mozi posted:

I'm trying to find a thing that should exist but I don't know if it does - I had some changes done to my coop, basically I have a flap in the back that empties into the run so I can easily clean it out. I have a small rake I had been using to clean it out but now what I want is more of a squeege-type thing with no gaps so I can get everything, but I don't want an actual squeege of course. More like a rake that's designed to be used horizontally, that has a flat smooth thing on the end instead of tines. Does that make any sense?
You're looking for a landscape rake, I believe. One side is tines and one side is solid. Something like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-36-in-aluminum-landscape-rake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Generous ladies donated quite a bit to Thanksgiving this year.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

Generous ladies donated quite a bit to Thanksgiving this year.
:unsmith: a fine harvest

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

kestrel needed to burn off some energy, so i took him for a walk and he sang me the song of his people

an egg fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 6, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So fierce!

Anyway, avian influenza (bird flu) has arrived in the UK big time.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/poultry-housing-order-confirmed-as-bird-flu-cases-rise_59400.html

quote:

Farmers and poultry keepers are being urged by the government to prepare for new mandatory housing measures as bird flu cases in the UK continue to increase.

The order will come into force Monday 29 November in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the UK's four Chief Veterinary Officers said on Wednesday.

Luckily this time of year sunrise is after 07:30 and sunset now before 4pm so the hens don't get much out time. We keep the in the run until 10am and then out for supervised kicking around the garden. Then from noon, they're lounging in the conservatory away from sky birds. Feel bad stopping feeding garden birds, but it's a necessity to keep our hens safe.

Supervised bathing session:

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 25, 2021

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

in an hour i will be picking up two (2) new quail hens, bringing my flock up to five girls and three boys, a nice stable number.

spookygonk posted:

Luckily this time of year sunrise is after 07:30 and sunset now before 4pm so the hens don't get much out time. We keep the in the run until 10am and then out for supervised kicking around the garden. Then from noon, they're lounging in the conservatory away from sky birds. Feel bad stopping feeding garden birds, but it's a necessity to keep our hens safe.

Supervised bathing session:

:ohdear: stay safe, orange queens

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Speaking of avian flu, I've heard dogs can catch covid. Does the same go for birds?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Avian flu recently killed one of the rare white-tailed sea eagles in Ireland :( It's sad to see it strike any bird, but these eagles are part of a long reintroduction project, and there aren't many breeding pairs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/ResNeXtGuesser/status/1463945602304135190

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Speaking of avian flu, I've heard dogs can catch covid. Does the same go for birds?

I am not certain and certainly not an authority but I think it has primarily effected mammals.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Also, my chickens seem to not like carrots. What the hell is up with that, what's wrong with carrots?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

You're looking for a landscape rake, I believe. One side is tines and one side is solid. Something like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-36-in-aluminum-landscape-rake

These look about right :thumbsup: thanks folks!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

Avian flu recently killed one of the rare white-tailed sea eagles in Ireland :( It's sad to see it strike any bird, but these eagles are part of a long reintroduction project, and there aren't many breeding pairs.
:(

here are the new those: sable and quoll

they are gorgeous, they just plob gently in my hands like a friday quailo and the other birds seem delighted by their company. apparently they're only ten weeks old, but they're massive and look full-grown to me so i don't know. the breeder had ducks, chickens and quail in the most amazing set-up, a huge fully meshed run with the three species in discreet sub-runs within where they don't make physical contact but still can see each other, with the option of letting them out to mingle in the exercise space. unfortunately all this effort and engineering had been for nothing, because the ducks had assumed full control of the space and would attack and effortlessly defeat both the chickens and the quail the moment they stepped out of their dedicated sub-runs. quail had been killed. i said i'd heard ducks are usually the victims of the poultry yard because of their soft peaceful bills, the breeder looked at me wide-eyed and said "oh no. not these ducks."

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

note to anybody concerned about avian flu, letting your different species of poultry mingle is exactly what you should not do. it was still a beautifully constructed run though. a temple of hen

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Merry crisman

I had TWO chooks lay double today, in late November.

The badasses in question:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

freeedr posted:

Merry crisman
i love it

quote:

i love them

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

quoll says: happy henukkah

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

freeedr posted:

Merry crisman

nice! i love the decoration

an egg posted:

quoll says: happy henukkah

:kimchi:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Quails are adorable.

https://twitter.com/7StellarJays/status/1464819937034133506

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm preparing the house for winter (what I live in Texas, this is the first morning it's been less than 40F), has anyone used a chicken water heater like this?

I'm probably going to hook it up to a homebrew temperature controller plug and just leave it in the homer bucket over the winter, I'm just hoping the nipples won't freeze like they did last February.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mustache Ride posted:

So I'm preparing the house for winter (what I live in Texas, this is the first morning it's been less than 40F), has anyone used a chicken water heater like this?

I'm probably going to hook it up to a homebrew temperature controller plug and just leave it in the homer bucket over the winter, I'm just hoping the nipples won't freeze like they did last February.

I live in new england and use one of those in my 5g home depot bucket waterer. Works fine. Bought a thermostatic plug for it instead of trying to deal with smarthome stuff for it since those have less ways to fail.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/. Cool, thats what I was thinking of.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You can probably skip the temp controller, check the info on that one but the one I got trips off at like 50 Fahrenheit or something so you might not need to bother with the extra complexity. We leave our heaters in the buckets and plugged in non stop for like 4 months straight this will be our 3rd year, no issues the previous 2.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Since we don't get really cold temps too often, we would just top off the waterer with hot water in the morning and afternoon, and put a couple of reusable heat packs next to it. That kept it warm enough so they had pretty constant access to liquid water.

The two times we had really cold and snowy days they got to stay on the glassed in porch with old blankets around the dog kennels we used as temporary coops, and replaced their water their often enough so it didn't freeze, except overnight.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wish the weather didn’t swing 120 degrees over the course of a year here

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We've just lost 3 chickens today and are left with 7 left, at this point we're not letting them out for a while.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oh drat. Predators?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

We've just lost 3 chickens today and are left with 7 left, at this point we're not letting them out for a while.

Dang. Sorry for your chicken loss :smith:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

freeedr posted:

Oh drat. Predators?

The rooster we seperated from the rest got grabbed by a predator due to the door seemingly jamming and nobody checking, big whole and a bunch of features everywhere. Two more just vanished during the day and there are zero signs of how.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 9, 2022

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ChaseSP posted:

Oh no! I'm so sorry for you. Are the remainers freaked out?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How scary, I'm so sorry for the tragedy. :(

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ynohtna posted:

Oh no! I'm so sorry for you. Are the remainers freaked out?

They're as oblivious as ever. I can't imagine how it was like when it happened though.

E: Big update, the two chickens we thought were grabbed were apparently just hiding in the coop very well because they came out when I went to give them some stale bread.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 2, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

They saw what happened to the rooster and entered the chicken protection program (hiding extremely well until someone shows up with bread).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm sorry about your rooster. I lost multiple chickens due to a gap in my coop I didn't know about. It sucks.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I mean. We were going to butcher him due to him just tearing our girls up from how massive he was, but we didn't want him to suffer like he absolutely did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The appropriate vengeance is to trap the predator and eat whatever it is.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry to hear about your chickens dude. I agree about eating the predator.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry for your loss, but yay on the two hens who hid from the predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It was a hen and the rooster we are replacing our older one with, a orange boy with wonderful poofy cheeks.