Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Paul Zuvella posted:

Path to exile?

Not historic legal, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

Not historic legal

fadam posted:

For actual Magic discussion: that memey Cultivator Colossus card is apparently ownage in Amulet. I saw it on a Stream today and it wasn’t that impressive but I think the guy didn’t have a good hand. I wonder if Hullbreaker will find a spot in Modern somewhere?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

I have never read a full paragraph and I won’t start now

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ok, how about free swords to plowshares then

True, but if you have something to trigger the bounce in hand you get a ton of value if you hit a pitch Solemnity with it.

Idk, maybe I’m just overly optimistic, but I feel like there has to be some application for it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah go to bed and ignore people being ignorant shits, god youre worthless

Eej is a pharmacist and they're giving perspective on something they might've had to personally give out to people, log off, and chill

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

True, but if you have something to trigger the bounce in hand you get a ton of value if you hit a pitch Solemnity with it.

Idk, maybe I’m just overly optimistic, but I feel like there has to be some application for it.

At that point you’re holding up 8 mana. That’s turn, what, 13 in modern?. The games long over at that point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Paul Zuvella posted:

At that point you’re holding up 8 mana. That’s turn, what, 13 in modern?. The games long over at that point.

Or a pitch card of your own.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

For actual Magic discussion: that memey Cultivator Colossus card is apparently ownage in Amulet. I saw it on a Stream today and it wasn’t that impressive but I think the guy didn’t have a good hand. I wonder if Hullbreaker will find a spot in Modern somewhere?

Hullbreaker is worse than Tidespout right? Or the same teir since Tidespout can hit lands? All Hullbreacher fits where exactly. Hall of the Storm Giants is a land, so it doesn't cost a card, the various planeswalkers cost less, so I assume some sort of tron/reanimator? Double U for U tron isn't too bad, and they do run a whole lot of cheap U spells to get the triggers. I've also seen them run Tidespout so if it finds a home that seems like the best one.
Reanimator you're going to have to sell me on a reanmiator deck designed to work better with it than either of the MH2 tailor-made reanimator payoffs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Hullbreaker is worse than Tidespout right? Or the same teir since Tidespout can hit lands? All Hullbreacher fits where exactly. Hall of the Storm Giants is a land, so it doesn't cost a card, the various planeswalkers cost less, so I assume some sort of tron/reanimator? Double U for U tron isn't too bad, and they do run a whole lot of cheap U spells to get the triggers. I've also seen them run Tidespout so if it finds a home that seems like the best one.
Reanimator you're going to have to sell me on a reanmiator deck designed to work better with it than either of the MH2 tailor-made reanimator payoffs.

I think it's better because you don't need to poly it in, you can flash it in EoT and it has built in uncounterability.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I guess it'd have to fit into some sort of Amulet style ramp shell, but if you're doing that Prime Time is just better. I'm not ready to write it off just yet, but these are valid points.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You know what would stop weird speculation about tournament attendee vaccination status?

Requiring full vaccination status to enter/play.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

whydirt posted:

You know what would stop weird speculation about tournament attendee vaccination status?

Requiring full vaccination status to enter/play.

:hai:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Happy Thanksgathering

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
For the fifth straight thanksgiving I’m getting belligerent before dessert and loudly making the case to my family that pod should not be banned in modern

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
After pie and another couple glasses of wine I’ll start making the case for unbanning twin

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a site or something I can just rapidly input a card collection and have it priced for me?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Use the tcgplayer app on your phone, it has a card scanner

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

After pie and another couple glasses of wine I’ll start making the case for unbanning twin

Is 4 mana win the game really that much worse then all the saga-ragavan decks winning by turn 4 too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There are def cards they should unban, like whos playing burning shoal in 2021? Infect has all kinds of other growth type effects that dont require running 10 mana bricks

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

There are def cards they should unban, like whos playing burning shoal in 2021? Infect has all kinds of other growth type effects that dont require running 10 mana bricks

It's a potential turn 2 kill that can hold up interaction, I don't think there's any value in unbanning it

KCI, on the other hand,

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I still had my phoenix deck sleeved up from the day looting was banned and I played a few games with it earlier this month. Its the most fun deck in modern history. It wasnt too powerful for the format at the time but it would be now with drc and some of the new cantrips/spells

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eej is a pharmacist and they're giving perspective on something they might've had to personally give out to people, log off, and chill

Could we do 100% less of this in the future, while I don't think Eej is the antivax Jesus come to peach the plague gospel they are saying some massively ignorant things and tone policing our gays certainly isn't going to help.

Frankly I find the idea of what you "meant" to say being sacred or even important laughable at best. Words mean things and if you don't want people to treat you like an dickhead stop talking like one. That being said ppl still need to stop jumping up each other's assholes every time someone speaks unclearly on something, there is nothing gained from skipping the "plz carify" step and moving straight to "ur a hitler" FFS

Protip: Fadam doesn't say "speak on that" because he thinks you have something to add to the conversation they are giving ppl enough rope to hang themselves with, just do that and we can all just laugh at them when the double down. There is no booster box prize on new years for sickest/wokest burn in the MTG thread this year just chill

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven’t seen a Mono-U Tron deck in the wild (either through my own play or from any Modern streamer I watch) in almost two years. :psyduck:

On a completely different note, I wonder how long it will take Modern players to realize Subtlety was designed to be The counter to the other pitch elementals and actually play it in blue control decks alongside Force of Negation.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's a potential turn 2 kill that can hold up interaction, I don't think there's any value in unbanning it

KCI, on the other hand,

I dont think its a consistent enough turn 2 to worry about tbh. And you get so punished when you have progen but no shoal in hand

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inkmoth slamming a hammer as is is worth running a ton of mediocre cards to facilitate the combo, Blazing Shoal is much more compact and the fact that you can fire it off turn 2 makes it extremely fast

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I haven’t seen a Mono-U Tron deck in the wild (either through my own play or from any Modern streamer I watch) in almost two years. :psyduck:

I actually played against mono U tron last week

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Inkmoth slamming a hammer as is is worth running a ton of mediocre cards to facilitate the combo, Blazing Shoal is much more compact and the fact that you can fire it off turn 2 makes it extremely fast

Fine, we compromise and unban chrome mox

It doesnt fix anything but itd be funny for the week itd take to reban them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wizards should unban everything for like a month just so everyone can go nuts. Wild card month

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, kaldheim set boxes must REALLY not be selling

amazon has them as a black friday deal for $77
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NXY2328/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8

I think that might be the only mtg item on sale today lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 26, 2021

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Captain Invictus posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NXY2328/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8

Looks like the Pioneer challenger decks are each about $5-6 off too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wizards should unban everything for like a month just so everyone can go nuts. Wild card month

Hell yeah

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Captain Invictus posted:

they had a midnight hunt bundle on sale.. for 28?

is anything from kaldheim going to make it out of standard? kinda want to crack but no LGS play standard around me. looked on MTG goldfish and none of the rare/mythics seem to be played in modern.

edit: midnight hunt bundles are still $27.99

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AlternateNu posted:

I see it about once a week? YMMV

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

they had a midnight hunt bundle on sale.. for 28?

is anything from kaldheim going to make it out of standard? kinda want to crack but no LGS play standard around me. looked on MTG goldfish and none of the rare/mythics seem to be played in modern.

edit: midnight hunt bundles are still $27.99

Midnight hunt just seems like a dumb gimmick tbh, one card gets a special treatment that doesnt even look that good and the rest are complete normal. Laaame

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Midnight hunt just seems like a dumb gimmick tbh, one card gets a special treatment that doesnt even look that good and the rest are complete normal. Laaame

I mean, that's pretty much what the bundles are supposed to be? It's just a bunch of boosters with some accessories and lands thrown in as a bonus; $3.50 per set booster is a pretty good price imo, so if you want the cards and if you like the extras (glow in the dark spindown!), then it's a nice deal.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bundles have always just been boosters, a promo, a dice and a land pack. Less of a gimmick and more of “that’s what the product is”

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the weird thing about bundles is that they changed them to set boosters. who is in the market for set boosters that wouldn't want to just buy a box? they should have changed it to 12 draft boosters + accessories for 2 player sealed or 4 player draft so you can have some proper limited games with some pals

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalel posted:

the weird thing about bundles is that they changed them to set boosters. who is in the market for set boosters that wouldn't want to just buy a box? they should have changed it to 12 draft boosters + accessories for 2 player sealed or 4 player draft so you can have some proper limited games with some pals

Probably people that want $40 of boosters but not $100 of boosters.

I know there's no way to get them, but I'd love to see the numbers on who was using the bundles for limited and who was just busting packs, because I'd expect it's far more of the latter.

The bigger question is, who is in the market for 4 player draft? That sounds miserable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They used to have nice art on the box (maybe still do idk) and also a booklet with every card inside too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the real bonus and reason to buy a bundle is the box itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lone Goat posted:

Probably people that want $40 of boosters but not $100 of boosters.

I know there's no way to get them, but I'd love to see the numbers on who was using the bundles for limited and who was just busting packs, because I'd expect it's far more of the latter.

The bigger question is, who is in the market for 4 player draft? That sounds miserable.

I'm in a four player regular commander group and we occasionally take a break from commander and draft my pauper cube. It works great with glimpse drafting. We also had a fun Modern Horizons draft, again with glimpse drafting