Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Serephina posted:

gently caress La Mulana, the puzzles start out as actual puzzles, then turn into "hump all walls to see if you can walk through them", and finally culminate in total horseshit that feels like the dev's got a point to prove.

tbh this sounds pretty much like the type of "puzzle" design that Japanese devs inexplicably liked in the 80s (eg Tower of Druaga)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

La-Mulana 2 is IMO superior to the original. Movement feels better, and even though the puzzles are still somewhat cryptic, there's still some logic to them. Making notes feels really rewarding!

As for Hollow Knight-style games, the ones I've played recently are Blasphemous, Vigil: The longest night and Ender lilies. All are good but Ender lilies was simply great! Really enjoyed my playthrough, even if some parts of the game were a bit gimmicky. But the control felt good, there's a lot of combat options and the soundtrack was great.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The River of Time is pretty dope. I enjoyed it more than the original Drakensang.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've watched an LP of both Doom 2016 and Eternal and there's just too much going on in those games at once during combats for me, especially in Eternal. I'd be unable to play them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If they gave Doom Eternal a style meter I think more people would have gotten it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If they gave Doom Eternal a style meter I think more people would have gotten it.

Ye.

I think the actual problem most people are having with Eternal is that it's not really an FPS game in a classic sense, it's of a completely different genre. It's a character action/spectacle fighter but with a first-person perspective.
2016 was just somewhere in between because they didn't want to go all the way in on it yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

Ye.

I think the actual problem most people are having with Eternal is that it's not really an FPS game in a classic sense, it's of a completely different genre. It's a character action/spectacle fighter but with a first-person perspective.
2016 was just somewhere in between because they didn't want to go all the way in on it yet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frog Act posted:

strong agree, I hated it - and the flabbergasting, poorly delivered (especially compared to 2016) narrative - when it first launched and refunded it. I eventually beat it when it went on GamePass and while I don't hate it anymore and I think it's probably worth playing, beating it a time and a half really solidified for me why I liked DOOM 16 more: tighter levels, a setting that made sense with actual characters, fewer systems that let you really focus on weapon swapping and arena play, and (though this one is much more subjective) I think it looked better and found the makyr alien stuff in Eternal to be ugly and boring. I'd say it's a major downgrade from 16 in most ways but still a top notch shooter compared to basically every other major FPS around.

Yeah, felt pretty much the same. They took the very good baseline of 2016, and pretty much every change they made to it was for the worse. Where 2016 had a refreshingly understated approach to its storytelling (i.e. Doomguy doesn't give a poo poo, and neither does the player), Eternal filled it up with some overwrought, overdramatic lore that was actively worse than just not having a story at all. And instead of the sleek free-form gameplay of 2016, Eternal's was stuffed full with seemingly every single mechanic the devs could think of. I just wanna shoot demons with shotguns, why are you making me juggle cooldowns and fill up three separate upgrade tracks?

On a more positive note, I grabbed Grow: Song of The Evertree on the sale, and it's a very pleasant and cosy experience. I'd say it's a little bit like My Time In Portia mixed with a citybuilder. The basic idea is that you unlock and cultivate small biomes by planting trees, rooting out weeds, and so on, and then use their spoils to grow and expand your town. It's not very deep gameplay-wise, but it's very pretty and relaxing to play.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So Nioh 2, I bought it and it seems neat but I'm getting stomped on mission 1. Is it souls hard with no options or is there any way to make it easier? I have no energy for getting good at action games at the moment so unless I can crank it down to the level of that Jedi souls-ish game I think I'm gonna refund.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If it's anything like Nioh 1, then you just need to find some overlevelled gear from another players revenant. That's what broke that game for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Acerbatus posted:

I forget the name, but someone else in the thread can probably remember; A game where you send off probes to try and figure out what caused the apocalypse in space. I think it was a single word title.

Duskers

Oxxidation posted:

i'm usually not the type to care about this sort of thing but the unrelenting obnoxiousness of eternal's defenders are one reason it's still languishing in my steam library

you all talk like a gamepro ad, it's asinine

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

So Nioh 2, I bought it and it seems neat but I'm getting stomped on mission 1. Is it souls hard with no options or is there any way to make it easier? I have no energy for getting good at action games at the moment so unless I can crank it down to the level of that Jedi souls-ish game I think I'm gonna refund.

I love the Nioh games, but they start out nasty. Heavy armor will make things easier, and as long as you keep your encumbrance below 70% you'll still move plenty fast. Once you get access to more ninjutsu and magic they can make the game much easier, they're very powerful. Also, unlike the souls games, your ranged weapons are quite good and can usually one-shot basic human enemies or knockdown Yokai if you hit a weakpoint. I know you said you didn't want to practice, but at least getting the ki pulse timing down (and buying the skills that let you ki pulse with a dodge) can make a huge difference since you'll have more ki to dodge or block with.

That said, the Nioh games are almost entirely about messing around with the combat system, playing with combos and experimenting with all of the systems the game gives you. If you're really not enjoying the combat at all and don't want to learn it, I'm not sure it's worth continuing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Duskers is great for an evening or two. But you really need to get in character. Dark room, headphones, remove all distractions.

It's like an Aliens puzzle game with drones. It can get extremely harrowing and tense, but loses its lustre after a while. But it's effective enough that you start to anthropomorphise your drones and panic when one gets swallowed by whatever abomination haunts the ship.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nioh games are pretty funny because yes, they have a ton of souls-hard combat and bullshit hidden traps but at the same time you get a bunch of tools to complete bypass all that bullshit.

Sick of bullshit enemy ambushes? Just make them all visible on your radar.
Sick of bullshit ranged enemies? Just shoot them in the face from outside of their vision range.
Sick of bullshit fast/strong/tanky enemies? Just debuff them into oblivion so they can't do anything while you slice them into bacon strips.

Also doing double ki flux is the most mechanically (kinestetically?) satisfying gameplay mechanic ever.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Haven't played 2, but Nioh 1 also felt like a brick wall until you unlocked enough gearing/skill options and farmable missions. I think it was after the big water blob boss that things opened up. Sloth talisman in particular was basically a cheat code against any boss you struggled against.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FuzzySlippers posted:

Question: are you getting wrecked by normal enemies or are you grinding your face into the giant ox demon Gozuki? Because you can just run past that guy.

I have seen many people get fixated on the Gozuki and get frustrated, but the game straight up tells you that you don't have to fight every enemy once you die to him a couple times.

Edit: It's a good idea to put some points into constitution for more HP. Every stat will increase your HP by some amount but constitution gives the most (and stamina the second-most)

Also, one thing that got me killed a lot early on was Souls game muscle memory making me try to dodge out of enemy combos, which doesn't work. You have to block instead.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 26, 2021

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Haven't played 2, but Nioh 1 also felt like a brick wall until you unlocked enough gearing/skill options and farmable missions. I think it was after the big water blob boss that things opened up. Sloth talisman in particular was basically a cheat code against any boss you struggled against.

The trick was (and still is with Nioh 2 as far as I've played it) to use kusarigama in high stance until you get the game-breaking stuff like sloth talisman. It blends the early humans, hits (and usually breaks) almost every yokai's weakpoint in the generic 3-press combo, is easy to learn ki pulsing with, and predictable to just dodge right after finishing the combo if it doesn't kill/stun. Then you unlock the Scorpion "Get over here" pull when you get enough weapon skill and you can trivialize humans or getting in range of a bigger yokai. By the time that cheese stops working as well, you should have a bunch of stuff unlocked to make it easier to swap to another weapon or actually learn how to use stances.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Tarezax posted:

Also, one thing that got me killed a lot early on was Souls game muscle memory making me try to dodge out of enemy combos, which doesn't work. You have to block instead.
Yeah I just started Nioh 2 tonight too and I keep hitting the Ki Pulse L1 instead of Guard on the NW button, maybe switching them around will help. I got that first horse boss down to like 30% on lvl2 but his third smash attack in his combo seems like it tracks a ton and I got wrecked. Now I'm just grinding on red phantoms and trying to bank up some skills/levels.

Feels (and performs) a shitload better than Nioh 1 though, I'll give it that.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Ye.

I never really got this comparison. It's not like you have a big movelist with combo chains that let you air juggle enemies. It's a game where you put your crosshair on enemies and click to make them dead while avoiding their projectiles, but they added a couple of buttons you can press to give you resources with cooldowns.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I hate the way the character moves in Nioh, its way too light and floaty

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I've watched an LP of both Doom 2016 and Eternal and there's just too much going on in those games at once during combats for me, especially in Eternal. I'd be unable to play them.

yeah, I get the feeling that those that engage in FPS discussion and get into all the nuances play at a pretty high level, which is intimidating. Fortunately, the Doom devs had the foresight to implement difficulty options to cater to a variety of skill levels and one of the changes is that enemies are considerably less aggressive on lower difficulties.

(Insert sekiro and difficulty screed here)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Triarii posted:

I never really got this comparison. It's not like you have a big movelist with combo chains that let you air juggle enemies. It's a game where you put your crosshair on enemies and click to make them dead while avoiding their projectiles, but they added a couple of buttons you can press to give you resources with cooldowns.

It's similar to CAGs in that there's a kind of internalized rhythm for maintaining constant aggression using all the weapons and abilities at your disposal while never letting the bad guys get in a hit. I think if people could see their style meter rev up everytime they hookshotgunned a demon right into a glory kill or something similar then they would unironically have a clearer grasp of the tempo the game asked of them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

Nioh games are pretty funny because yes, they have a ton of souls-hard combat and bullshit hidden traps but at the same time you get a bunch of tools to complete bypass all that bullshit.

Sick of bullshit enemy ambushes? Just make them all visible on your radar.
Sick of bullshit ranged enemies? Just shoot them in the face from outside of their vision range.
Sick of bullshit fast/strong/tanky enemies? Just debuff them into oblivion so they can't do anything while you slice them into bacon strips.

Also doing double ki flux is the most mechanically (kinestetically?) satisfying gameplay mechanic ever.

Yeah while there were one or two tough spots late in the game, for the most part Nioh 2 felt like a reverse difficulty curve to me -- I think the second boss is probably the one I died to more than any other in the game and after that I started to get a poison/tonfa build off the ground and just rolled through a bunch of the game. Ninjitsu and Sorcery are indeed very strong. IIRC you don't unlock them until after the first mission though but maybe that's just Nioh 1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Triarii posted:

By making every gun serve specific function rather than all of them being damage-sticks they ARE your movelist and just like in a character action game you're trying to pick right moves from your movelist to deal with current situation.

The amount of cooldowns in Eternal is actually a big weak spot in their design that I hope they improve in the next game by spreading those out across your guns.

EDIT: I hope that for their next game they take a peek at ULTRAKILL and copy some of it's ideas. Like the style meter and a parry button.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 26, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tarezax posted:

Yeah and a mechanical thing that will really trip you up if you're coming from Souls games is that it's usually safe to block an enemy hit even if it drains all your stamina. As long as you have any Ki remaining when you block you'll still fully reduce the damage of the attack, and the stun afterwards isn't nearly as debilitating as it is in Dark Souls.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Been playing Project Warlock and Voidspire tactics, both on sale right now. So good!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I gave up on Eternal because I'm just bad a keeping track of many things at once, especially when some of these things are cooldown meters on the edge of your screen. If I felt like those were additional options to elevate your gameplay then that would be one thing, but they felt so core and necessary it just was too much for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They did take that UI criticism to heart and patch in an option to have the main cooldowns displayed around the crosshair at least

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

They did take that UI criticism to heart and patch in an option to have the main cooldowns displayed around the crosshair at least

That was a fantastic addition.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

repiv posted:

I might give that another try then, though the way I tend to selectively focus might even make me look past that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

FuzzySlippers posted:

Abuse everything the game gives you. Farm phantoms for gear, play co-op, learn ninjitsu and onmyo then use both liberally. Use all your consumables. Cheese mobs from a distance with headshots.

You can get good at the base combat/combos/ki pulses as you go along but that is something you should layer into abusing everything I listed above imo.

You can literally faceroll almost anything in the base game difficulty with heavy armor and spamming the heavy axe high stance chop after buffing yourself with magic. Not sure how that kind of build shakes out in higher level difficulties but by then you'll have a ton of build options and respeccing isn't that hard in Nioh 2.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 26, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's really funny is that I think I had the opposite experience everyone else did with Nioh 2. I enjoyed the hell out of the first 20 hours or so, but I hit a point maybe 3-4 areas in where I had an aggressively gimmicky build that seemed to work (tonfas all day against humans, fists against yokai), but I'd gotten it so practiced and smooth that I was starting to get super-duper bored.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Acerbatus posted:

System Shock 1 rules. :hf:

If you haven't played Iji in the last... 4-5? years, there's a few new things.

Momodora is also quite short, probably 5 or so hours for a first playthrough.

Also thought of a few others.

For more direct comparisons

For some more abstract ones

I forget the name, but someone else in the thread can probably remember; A game where you send off probes to try and figure out what caused the apocalypse in space. I think it was a single word title.

Oh this is a fun post, thank you for making it!

Axiom Verge --- I loving love this game, the atmosphere and art design are top notch. The story and bosses are complete garbage though!
Environmental Station Alpha --- hmmm I might need to try this. I remember it being very difficult, but I'm better at games now.
Death's Gambit -- oh I have this! I'll install it :D
Nier -- the original? Hmm. I read TheDarkId's fantastic LP of it and don't know if I can handle being that sad again.
Genshin Impact (Less oppressive ruins than most of these suggestions but legitimately excellent for the exploration part. be warned though, a mobage with a gacha) --- I appreciate the rec but no gacha for me.
Shadow of the Colossus (I think you'd need to emulate it?) --- LOVE this game, played it to death
Titan Souls -- another game I own but haven't played!
Legend of Grimrock --- this one never clicked with me despite me loving dungeon crawlers :shrug:
Cave Story and Owlboy (kinda) --- Cave Story owns, Owlboy is a pass from me

LISA the Painful RPG --- fantastic, watched an LP of it, too far from Hollow Knight for me.
Anodyne 1 & 2 --- need to play 2 already, I own it and well, backlog...
OneShot (Doesn't have any kind of combat at all) --- Oh I enjoyed the first 15 minutes of this game a year ago! Should play the rest
Echo Night (No combat again, you'd have to emulate it) --- will look this up!
Little Nightmares (last one with no combat) --- this too!
Fear and Hunger (note: I've never played it; Apparently it's a game that's 1:1 Berserk with all the nouns changed, so there's some sexual violence and so on.) -- and this! I'll be mindful of my triggers, thank you.

.... wow okay I might have to sit out this year's Steam Gift Train or minimize it, I have WAY too many games that I want to play but haven't. Like, my backlog has always been extreme but this is getting really silly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/HanakoGames/status/1464232810542153747?s=20

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

magical girl thomas cromwell

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Trickyblackjack posted:

yeah, I get the feeling that those that engage in FPS discussion and get into all the nuances play at a pretty high level, which is intimidating. Fortunately, the Doom devs had the foresight to implement difficulty options to cater to a variety of skill levels and one of the changes is that enemies are considerably less aggressive on lower difficulties.

(Insert sekiro and difficulty screed here)

ironically it proves the limitations of difficulty settings as while the combat in Doom Eternal could be made more or less difficult, there was no setting to make it enjoyable

(OK I'll stop, it's just that I get what they wanted to do, the problem was that I hated playing it)

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Of all the games rec'd I think Hyper Light Drifter has the most Hollow Knight vibes.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
You can absolutely dodge everything in Nioh, it’s my preferred way to play. Light armor + ninjitsu + fists = you’ll never get hit again and kill every enemy in like 3 seconds. Of course you die in 2 hits as a trade off.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The first level in Nioh 2 is a real bitch, coming from someone who started and stopped that game twice before making it past the very first level. It's like twice as long as the ones you do right after it so it does get better if you're able to push through that initial hump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The first level or two of Nioh 2 are harder than anything else the game throws at you. Nioh and Nioh 2 are games with an exponential power curve in the player's favor, after a few missions you get more comfortable and some gear you become a walking god that all of the demons should fear and you can start playing ultra-aggressively.