Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Oxyclean posted:

How does this look? Any obvious QoL/bugfix stuff I should grab? Just generally good overhauls to consider grabbing? I'm leaning towards being magic focused so I made sure to get stuff for that, but I'm wondering if a general melee/combat overhaul might still be a good idea. I mostly just want to avoid stuff that's gonna be confusing/hard/lost to someone who hasn't played Skyrim in forever.

I'd recommend "Legacy of the Dragonborn" for someone with a simple mod setup like this.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

It may need a patch or two
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30980?tab=files

It's very respectful and lore-friendly, bug-free, and integrates into the main game seamlessly. Less "janky quest-line" and more based around adding smaller quests and expanding the main game without you noticing.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
LOTD is so good that you forget that it's a mod.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the art assets will remind you right away

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah there's a lot of models of questionable quality... primarily because there's a LOT of models. Still, it's a good mod.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think that might be a mod that's missing from quest. But I honestly haven't started the math quest on any of these characters I've made yet lol

Edit: dragon souls to perks that is

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thinking of starting a new run, modding pretty heavily (I've only played Vanilla+QoL before). I have read something about the Anniversary Edition overwriting the SE even if you don't buy the [strike]horse armour[/strike] curated mods, and all the mods needing to be updated before they work after the update.

Does everything work right now, or should I wait another couple of weeks or three?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At the risk of loving everything up I want to add this: Dragon souls to perks to the qwest list in wabbajack. How do I do that?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Devor posted:

Thanks all - I think Thunderchild was the one I was thinking of (and it looks cool even if it wasn't)

Thunderchild is pretty cool, and brings a lot of versatility into the shout system. It's a little bit jank, because all shouts are, and you might want something like Ordinator that has perks related to shouting, but it was pretty cool for an all-in Dragonborn playthrough.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Soonmot posted:

At the risk of loving everything up I want to add this: Dragon souls to perks to the qwest list in wabbajack. How do I do that?

If you want to convert souls to perks, one of the dragon mods has an option in its MCM for that, I think Deadly Dragons? Otherwise adding a mod to a Wabbajack list is always risky, but handle it like adding a mod to your own list - check for conflicts, resolve as necessary.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fat Samurai posted:

Thinking of starting a new run, modding pretty heavily (I've only played Vanilla+QoL before). I have read something about the Anniversary Edition overwriting the SE even if you don't buy the [strike]horse armour[/strike] curated mods, and all the mods needing to be updated before they work after the update.

Does everything work right now, or should I wait another couple of weeks or three?

The SE update had all the troubles of AE. Then there was an update that fixed a lot of the BSOD issues with large scripted mods hanging while loading a save file. Pretty sure some things however were broken by the update and will not be fixed. SSE Engine fixes got an amazing out of the blue beta release but I've never gotten it to work because the old .dll files seem to be incompatible (or I'm an idiot.)

Burns
May 10, 2008

kartikeya posted:

It annoyed the hell out of me (because I am a dumb and I do things wrong), but it turns out there's a Synthesis patcher that does basically everything, and much, much faster:

Get AllGUD, then get the AllGUD conditions fix from here, then get this, and run the Synthesis patcher (you just have to set the output folders). Patcher took a few minutes at most for a really heavily modded setup, no messing with xedit scripts or even manually patching skeletons, though you still need the modded one.

I don't run it on the NPCs because I figured that would add a bunch of unnecessary script processing, I use Simple Dual Sheath and turn off player display in the ini file.

Cheers! Hey thanks that was a lot less painful than i thought.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
On the topic of dragon souls and perks, there's a neat little mod called Dragon Soul Absorption for NPC that functions similar to how Miraak would steal souls from you in Dragonborn until you finally killed him. You can use xEdit to give various followers or other NPCs the ability to absorb dragon souls from slain dragons, provided they engaged the dragon in battle prior to it dying. It has a 50% chance of triggering by default, but you can edit that in xEdit to be whatever you'd like.

The only downside is that if the NPC absorbs the soul, you don't get it as well, and if you go into the Mirmulnir fight with a follower who can absorb souls and the script triggers, it breaks the rest of the quest after you kill him. But otherwise it's a neat little mod if you're roleplaying that there's other Dragonborn in Skyrim other than you the player, or if you want to do a "I'm the follower to the real Dragonborn" type of game.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Shouting is not unique to the Dragonborn either. Id like to see a mod that allows Followers to learn some of the basic shouts for flavour.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, I guess the Artesian HDT patch for Cloaks of Skyrim isn't working on AE. :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Burns posted:

Shouting is not unique to the Dragonborn either. Id like to see a mod that allows Followers to learn some of the basic shouts for flavour.

In Game it specifies it tales years of training to learn even a basic shout for people who aren't the dragonborn.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The SE update had all the troubles of AE. Then there was an update that fixed a lot of the BSOD issues with large scripted mods hanging while loading a save file. Pretty sure some things however were broken by the update and will not be fixed. SSE Engine fixes got an amazing out of the blue beta release but I've never gotten it to work because the old .dll files seem to be incompatible (or I'm an idiot.)

If you're on 1.6.xx (AE branch) you need the newest skse (2.1.3 for version 1.6.323), address library AE edition, and then EF 6.0.2. You also need Part2 still, but that didn't need an update.

Semi-related news but apparently loading sunrise/sunset times from Climate records in plugins has been completely broken if you load an interior save game since 2011 and no one really noticed until now, lol.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Burns posted:

Ulfric uses shouts when you take Solitude, but most people would never see that because who ever sides with the stormcloaks

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Burns posted:

Cheers! Hey thanks that was a lot less painful than i thought.

You're welcome! I was completely ready to give up on the drat thing when I found that.

Helith posted:

Ulfric uses shouts when you take Solitude, but most people would never see that because who ever sides with the stormcloaks

In my experience, people in Youtube comments/on games forums that are hyper defensive about Windhelm being really racist, you see those dark elves deserve to live in a slum because they're all just too lazy, see this altmer lady (a fence for the thieves guild, lol) agrees with me. Also the argonians don't exist, shut up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burns posted:

You can add shouts to a character’s spell list through xEdit, but it’s honestly more trouble than it’s worth. The only shouts the NPC AI seems to know how to use are Unrelenting Force, Fire Breath, and Frost Breath. And if they use any of those shouts in the presence of guards, they will instantly aggro them and net you a bounty, which will just keep climbing higher as the guards and followers duke it out and possibly kill one another.

Seems cool at the start, but it’s ultimately a huge pain in the rear end.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I have to say that Morrowind modding is a big contrast. It just got a whole lot better while Skyrim is a clusterfuck.

It is worth mentioning that you get 4 esp for SSE. Even if you dont upgrade to AE. I recommend simply doing the upgrade, then using a patcher to downgrade SE or have someone send you the old version. Then editing settings in steam back to "update on launch". Then only activate Skyrim with SKSE.

It seems like most of the big mods out there like:

-SKSE
-USSEP
-WACCF
-eFPS
-SSE Engine Bug fixes

You still get all of these for SSE, but I think AE is what will be supported going forward. As when SE first launched, its seems like most mod authors have accepted it is the new norm. But I still prefer to stick to 1.5 a little longer, at least until I have done a playthrough. I can say with confidence that my Skyrim playthrough has never been this solid. Honestly all I truly need now is to add controller support, do a run of DynDOLOD and tweak some serious SmoothCam settings.

Midig fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2021

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah most of the big baseline stuff like that has either a working version or a preliminary release that is basically functional by now. The only mod that I'm really 100% waiting on right now is Racemenu, and the author is working on that per their pinned post.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Morrowind is so old that people just made a new engine to run the game's data. Pretty cool.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tankbuster posted:

Morrowind is so old that people just made a new engine to run the game's data. Pretty cool.

Wait wah?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ynglaur posted:

Wait wah?

Open Morrowind is an open source engine that runs the data from Morrowind. Kinda like the open source Doom engines.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I've got my huge mod list sorted in LOOT, it mentions that some need their "masters list sorted" via xEdit or something? I've tried downloading xEdit to do this, but whenever I try to launch it it complains it can't find Fallout4 installed (even though I'm opening the TES5 exe, not FO4).

Is this necessary to do? I suppose I'd like to know how to use xEdit with MO2/LOOT in case it does come up though

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Helith posted:

I don't think I've ever sided with the stormcloaks in any playthrough, I think they thought you would empathize with Ulfric because you were both cart-buddies and the imperials tried to execute you, but your character probably deserved getting executed based on what they do in the rest of the game.

But with the choice between "Roman legion sad it lost to elves and taking their orders now" and "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Nordic children" I'll go with the first choice every time.

One thing that bugs me about the quest design in bethesda games is they railroad you pretty hard into 1, maybe 2 choices, which I don't usually mind in most games, but bethesda games are all about the open world and making your own choices which makes it much more annoying when they don't think up enough multiple choices that would make sense for the player to take, I'd of liked the choice to challenging Ulfric to a shouting contest and end the civil war right then and there or take over as the new leader of the rebellion as my own faction.

Any mods that do that for the civil war?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think ive ever really played that close attention to that conflict in Skyrim (but ive also maybe played it once before in which I was more concerned with stealing everything that wasn't nailed down) - the Imperials seem like assholes, not to mention the house in Whiterun that's siding with them also seems like assholes. But the Stormcloaks from little I've seen of them so far are kind of obnoxious. I am currently more concerned with pursuit of magic and power and ORB.

But yeah, I was just thinking about New Vegas basically not really forcing you into Legion or NCR and allowing you a few other options like Yes Man.

Pontificating rear end posted:

I'd recommend "Legacy of the Dragonborn" for someone with a simple mod setup like this.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802
Will this play nice mid-save? There's thing on the page saying it's best used on a new playthrough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think ive ever really played that close attention to that conflict in Skyrim (but ive also maybe played it once before in which I was more concerned with stealing everything that wasn't nailed down) - the Imperials seem like assholes, not to mention the house in Whiterun that's siding with them also seems like assholes. But the Stormcloaks from little I've seen of them so far are kind of obnoxious. I am currently more concerned with pursuit of magic and power and ORB.

But yeah, I was just thinking about New Vegas basically not really forcing you into Legion or NCR and allowing you a few other options like Yes Man.

Will this play nice mid-save? There's thing on the page saying it's best used on a new playthrough.

The Imperials are huge assholes, but the Stormcloaks are straight up Klu Klux Klan.

zhar
May 3, 2019

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I've got my huge mod list sorted in LOOT, it mentions that some need their "masters list sorted" via xEdit or something? I've tried downloading xEdit to do this, but whenever I try to launch it it complains it can't find Fallout4 installed (even though I'm opening the TES5 exe, not FO4).

Is this necessary to do? I suppose I'd like to know how to use xEdit with MO2/LOOT in case it does come up though

I'm new to modding but found sseedit very useful so far. make sure you install it and are opening it from the game directory (where skyrimse.exe is) and launch it from mo2 (add it as an executable like skse, if you clone the skse executable in mo2 the only change you should need to make is changing the skse loader.exe in the filepath to SSEEdit.exe if you've installed it in the right place)

e: make sure you downloaded the right one, tes5edit is legendary edition I think, sseedit is for SE, different nexus pages

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fenrisulfr posted:

If you want to convert souls to perks, one of the dragon mods has an option in its MCM for that, I think Deadly Dragons? Otherwise adding a mod to a Wabbajack list is always risky, but handle it like adding a mod to your own list - check for conflicts, resolve as necessary.

No go, diverse dragons is the one that's included. So I download through mod organizer and hope for the best? Seriously, the last time I modded skyrim it was with the nexus app they had BEFORE vortex lol

edit: everything looks good and works yay

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 26, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

But with the choice between "Roman legion sad it lost to elves and taking their orders now" and "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Nordic children" I'll go with the first choice every time.

Right?

Also General Tullius is voiced by Michael Hogan (Saul Tigh from BSG) :allears:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Definitely not. I mean, I guess it _MIGHT_ work, but it does edit Solitude heavily, and there's a LOT going on with it otherwise. I'd recommend a new game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well now I guess i have an excuse to do another sneaky character after I do some more magey stuff.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd of liked the choice to challenging Ulfric to a shouting contest and end the civil war right then and there or take over as the new leader of the rebellion as my own faction.

Any mods that do that for the civil war?

There's a mod named Stormcloaks for Good Guys - Less Racist

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12839

It gives the player character a chance to purge the SC's of their bigoted ways, and allows for a more diverse range of SC npcs. I can't remember if I tried it or not, so I can't speak to how good it is.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Two Beans posted:

There's a mod named Stormcloaks for Good Guys - Less Racist

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12839

It gives the player character a chance to purge the SC's of their bigoted ways, and allows for a more diverse range of SC npcs. I can't remember if I tried it or not, so I can't speak to how good it is.

Counterpoint:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14233

I'm gonna be honest with you, if Vanilla Skyrim's levels of racism is enough to make people uncomfortable, I gotta wonder if they played Morrowind. What with the "government regulated slavery and assassinations." And how you would get discounts on those assassinations if they were Outlanders.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Counterpoint:

I'm gonna be honest with you, if Vanilla Skyrim's levels of racism is enough to make people uncomfortable, I gotta wonder if they played Morrowind. What with the "government regulated slavery and assassinations." And how you would get discounts on those assassinations if they were Outlanders.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/55095

There's also a mod that fixes that "fix" by taking out the slapdash elements of it and making it less cartoonish in general.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Imperials themselves are nicer, but they also work for genocidal assholes, there really isn't much of a direction to go in without hitting some rear end in a top hat who wants genocide in the Civil War.

(the Imperials definitely feel better, just because the immediate people you interact with aren't said assholes)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 27, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, the first Imperials you interact with want to behead you despite you not being on the list of people to behead. I was temped to hold a grudge and say gently caress the imperials for that reason alone until I heard what the Stormcloak's deal is. :v: (that said I might just make this mage a real bastard)

As much as you probably go on to do very many crime worthy things, it feels like the least they could have done was have you choose a background & crime as part of character creation.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It's Imperialist (literally) Colonizers that are currently getting grabbed by the balls by Nazi Elves vs. more or less White Nationalists, lead by someone too stupid to turn a group of people who hate both the Nazi Elves and the Imperialists to his cause. Normally between those two kind of choices I'd say "lol gently caress off" but it's hard to ignore not picking a side just makes said Nazi Elves that much stronger.

That being said, it's also hard to ignore how hard the death of the Empire has been foreshadowed since Morrowind, and how TES games tend to use Foreshadowing as a major narrative force. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Stormcloaks actually ended up being a canon victory, assuming Bethesda has the balls to declare a canon winner and not just pulling a Dragonbreak or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Counterpoint:

I had a little chuckle when you see the racism in Windhelm and the dark elf goes "And the Nords are assholes to Argonians"

Lady, your home nation literally attacks a neighboring country to get Argonian slaves. Slavery is so ingrained in Morrowind culture that they have an insult based around being a servile: Fetcher.