Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Archer666 posted:

My Enter The Matrix experience was the first in-engine cut-scene spawning a car with square wheels.

There are definitions of "survival" we are willing to accept. looooong Architect sigh; downgrades the simulation and machine UI to PS2 era graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Archer666 posted:

My Enter The Matrix experience was the first in-engine cut-scene spawning a car with square wheels.
Everything about this game sounds amazing

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I never was able to finish Enter the Matrix because

1) I initially tried to play as Ghost but the AI Niobe couldn't drive the car without getting stuck on everything
2) Switching to Niobe made the car parts trivial but then the game would hard crash to desktop every time the freeway level started

Its too bad because I remember it being endearing jank for as much as I was actually able to play.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It felt cool doing the wall kickoff jump attack on agents because it was like one of the only things the game would let you land on them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Enter the Matrix was considered an embarrassment at the time, and time is not kind to old bad games. The driving sequence was the big one, it was just utter tripe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gazaar posted:

It felt cool doing the wall kickoff jump attack on agents because it was like one of the only things the game would let you land on them.

I was about to make almost this exact post. The game as amazing the first time you run into a room and wall jump and kick someone in the face, everything else about it was crap

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's definitely a game you like in spite of everything about it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I remember renting it for the N64 and liking it enough to finish both storylines.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's not surprising EtM is janky given that it was developed by a single small studio, had an unbreakable release deadline, had to clear all creative decisions with the very busy Wachowskis, and was released on four platforms simultaneously with all versions handled internally.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ferrinus posted:

I remember renting it for the N64 and liking it enough to finish both storylines.

Wait what? It was on the N64? Or am i being japed?

Edit: hark at me i am a fool,laugh at the japee that is me

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 10, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Wait what? It was on the N64? Or am i being japed?

N64 definitely not. Can you imagine the distance fog on that?

Probably GameCube

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah the game was PC and second gen 3d consoles

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Oh, poo poo, yeah, must've been the Gamecube. As of the latest revision to the Matrix

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finally got around to start watching my uhds of the trilogy. The Matrix still owns.

- I really like how Neo asks Trinity for reassurance that she went through all this a couple times, when they're hooking him up to pull from the Matrix and when they're going to the Oracle. It helps show their connection and how he's already a little attached and trusts her as someone who has already gone through this.
- I also like the constant emphasis that nobody can tell Neo he's the One and that its something that he needs to come around to himself. Its less a prophecy and more of his decision and realization about who he is.
- I like how Neodammerung, the song for when Neo goes to fight Smith in Revolutions, quotes the same little notes as when Neo does his Kung Fu pose to challenge Smith in the subway. Maybe those notes are also in other parts of the first Matrix but that's when I noticed them.
- The Agent training asserting that some people are just dependent on the system and will fight to protect it keys to most of who we actually see turn into agents, cops, a rich guy and an old white lady. The other one is the homeless guy but being homeless isn't inherently ennobling and people can be homeless and as racist/sexist/homophoic/transphobic as anyone one else. When the first Smith gets killed by Neo from the minigun and shown to be a cop, it does connect on Smith's virus and wanting to get monologues as 'yep, that's just absolutely how cops in the real world are.'

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Enter the matrix was very clunky, but path of neo otoh was pretty smooth.I remember the fighting feeling very good, especially for the time.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I finally got around to start watching my uhds of the trilogy. The Matrix still owns.

- I also like the constant emphasis that nobody can tell Neo he's the One and that its something that he needs to come around to himself. Its less a prophecy and more of his decision and realization about who he is.
This is one of my favorite parts of #1, how despite Morpheus' faith and Neo's flashes of arrogance, Neo gets poo poo on the whole movie until he decides to sacrifice his life to save another's for a greater cause - and boom, it turns out that that is a key ingredient in the formula for The One. The plot of the entire film is shaped by the Oracle's conversations with Morpheus, Trinity, and Neo, but barely half of the stuff she says is an actual prediction about the future. It's all intended to create that future by taking advantage of people's belief in The Oracle to guide their behavior. In the end the questions of fate v. choice the movie raises remain totally unresolved despite all of the prophecies coming true.

"What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken the vase given your life for Morpheus if I hadn't said anything told you you were The One?"
or "Would you have dedicated your life to finding The One if I hadn't told you that you would succeed?"

More directly to your point, it's fascinating how there are actually two totally different points in the film where a character outright states that Neo is The One, as if they had just seen proof of it. One is the obvious one at the end, when he rises from the dead, doesn't have to dodge bullets, etc. But the first time it happens is fifteen minutes earlier, even before Neo fights an Agent and "wins". (Shout-out to Morpheus for being the actual first person to fight an Agent and live, but I digress.) It's after Neo has this moment

and believes that he can catch a helicopter out of the sky. It doesn't matter that he doesn't actually do it; he believed that he could, and that's what makes him The One.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

This is one of my favorite parts of #1, how despite Morpheus' faith and Neo's flashes of arrogance, Neo gets poo poo on the whole movie until he decides to sacrifice his life to save another's for a greater cause - and boom, it turns out that that is a key ingredient in the formula for The One. The plot of the entire film is shaped by the Oracle's conversations with Morpheus, Trinity, and Neo, but barely half of the stuff she says is an actual prediction about the future. It's all intended to create that future by taking advantage of people's belief in The Oracle to guide their behavior. In the end the questions of fate v. choice the movie raises remain totally unresolved despite all of the prophecies coming true.

"What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken the vase given your life for Morpheus if I hadn't said anything told you you were The One?"
or "Would you have dedicated your life to finding The One if I hadn't told you that you would succeed?"

More directly to your point, it's fascinating how there are actually two totally different points in the film where a character outright states that Neo is The One, as if they had just seen proof of it. One is the obvious one at the end, when he rises from the dead, doesn't have to dodge bullets, etc. But the first time it happens is fifteen minutes earlier, even before Neo fights an Agent and "wins". (Shout-out to Morpheus for being the actual first person to fight an Agent and live, but I digress.) It's after Neo has this moment

and believes that he can catch a helicopter out of the sky. It doesn't matter that he doesn't actually do it; he believed that he could, and that's what makes him The One.

There's a reason why this is my favorite movie that I rewatch at least once a year, and it's this, right here.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Still can't believe a new Matrix movie is coming out in (now) less than a month!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

thatfuturekid posted:

Still can't believe a new Matrix movie is coming out in (now) less than a month!

Yeah it owns

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

VROOM VROOM posted:

I hate the green tint remaster. I HATE IT.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Nooo I knew I was gonna get called out. I had the original DVD as a kid, I swear. I was thinking about making a video and I'll have to track down a less-green version if I do. Oh, it looks like the 2018 4k version toned the green way back down, maybe that's a good version.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's a grungy 35mm pirate film scan of the first movie out there too.

Some comparison shots: https://imgur.com/a/iSfSrsM

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 26, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

What's the deal with the open matte version? I can see why they'd do it to fit TV screens, but if they're not checking for it beforehand it seems like it's just asking for boom mics and things to slip into the frame.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It seems cropped appropriately. Many SFX shots even have additional information on the top and bottom so they may have anticipated a 16x9 version during production. I think it's in that comparison mostly because it's a HD version with the DVD colour timing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

It seems cropped appropriately. Many SFX shots even have additional information on the top and bottom so they may have anticipated a 16x9 version during production. I think it's in that comparison mostly because it's a HD version with the DVD colour timing.

Generally VFX is done on the full frame (though sometimes they're hard-matted to a specific ratio for various reasons), but sometimes weird stuff slips through non-VFX shots where nobody's thinking about it. Looks like the TV spots for the movie went ever further and formatted it for 4:3 - including leaving in some greenscreen during the "Woah" scene that would be cropped out in the movie itself.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

woah

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched Reloaded tonight for the first time in a very long time. It's so bloated and excessive but still mostly entertaining. Some of the action scenes go on for way too long without advancing the plot or saying much about the characters, mainly the chateau fight and the freeway chase once its Morpheus vs the Agent on the truck. The freeway way really tight and perfect up until then. It was like they decided Laurence Fishbourne needed to get a fight in and just did it.

The shift from the first being a story about self actualization to being used by a system of control is the explicit text but it is still surprising how that gets set up very early by how the Oracle gives Neo specific instructions on what to do next. I'm curious how the Oracle will read in Revolutions when I watch it. Is the 'new' Oracle who brings things to the new status quo at the end of Revolutions really the same being?

The love story with Neo and Trinity still hits me in the feels even though I miss some of the more subtle character dynamics that the two of them had in the first movie. The lack of subtlety in the characterizations is probably the most disappointing thing to me. There might be some interesting comparison point to the Star Wars prequels. Neo's dependent love on Trinity and not wanting to lose her causing him to go against the plan in Reloaded then accepting losing her leading to fulfilling it on (potentially) more favorable terms vs Anakin's dependent love on Padme and being being able to accept her death making him into Vader. Both being movie trilogies about chosen ones released around each other.

There is less of a trans reading of it, beyond the theme of needing to work out what comes after the choice, tons of people trying to use you for their own ends and Smith going hard fash after his encounter with Neo. Less feelsy.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 26, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I watched Reloaded tonight for the first time in a very long time. It's so bloated and excessive but still mostly entertaining. Some of the action scenes go on for way too long without advancing the plot or saying much about the characters, mainly the chateau fight and the freeway chase once its Morpheus vs the Agent on the truck. The freeway way really tight and perfect up until then. It was like they decided Laurence Fishbourne needed to get a fight in and just did it.

The shift from the first being a story about self actualization to being used by a system of control is the explicit text but it is still surprising how that gets set up very early by how the Oracle gives Neo specific instructions on what to do next. I'm curious how the Oracle will read in Revolutions when I watch it. Is the 'new' Oracle who brings things to the new status quo at the end of Revolutions really the same being?

The love story with Neo and Trinity still hits me in the feels even though I miss some of the more subtle character dynamics that the two of them had in the first movie. The lack of subtlety in the characterizations is probably the most disappointing thing to me. There might be some interesting comparison point to the Star Wars prequels. Neo's dependent love on Trinity and not wanting to lose her causing him to go against the plan in Reloaded then accepting losing her leading to fulfilling it on (potentially) more favorable terms vs Anakin's dependent love on Padme and being being able to accept her death making him into Vader. Both being movie trilogies about chosen ones released around each other.

There is less of a trans reading of it, beyond the theme of needing to work out what comes after the choice, tons of people trying to use you for their own ends and Smith going hard fash after his encounter with Neo. Less feelsy.

The freeway sequence pretty much saves the entire movie action-wise. I get that the whole point of the Merovingian is that he's not nearly as interesting as he thinks he is, but drat don't make it my problem. The so-called Burly Brawl hasn't aged well.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 26, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The so-called Burly Brawl hasn't aged well.

I agree, but it's still pretty burly and brawly imo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The freeway chase sequence is still one of the best interwoven combat encounters in films to me, and its quite neat that the merovingian fight happens at the same time as a good excuse for why Neo can't be there.

It also explains why Speed Racer came out so, so good. Just, ugh, Wachowski's please, I need another one.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Here's what I was gonna post:
"Yeahh I think I only watched the sequels once when they came out and I was low-double-digits years old but if I had to give a critique it would share elements with what you're saying, Shiroc. The plot and action are not as tightly integrated and it drags out elements from #1 while deploying them less elegantly.
Morpheus does the high-flying jumping knee attack, but he's not fighting newbie Neo in a training sim, he's fighting an Agent (an "upgraded" one, even!), and he begins the jump after the Agent hits the ground, while he does it as part of a seamless combo against Neo and is nearly at the apex of the leap when Neo hits the ground. In context it's more like the flashy bullshit that Neo tries to pull when copying him and gets heavily punished for. Morpheus becomes a parody of himself. He then finds the sword stuck in the side of the truck, whips it out, and rehashes Neo's come-at-me motion from #1 that signaled his willingness to fight. But he was already fighting the Agent! And the sword isn't real, so why would him having it make a difference?"

But then I kept watching the clip and after being disarmed and knocked off the truck Morpheus busts out the leap again, this time in a much more appropriate context and much more effectively, and things started to come together for me. While Neo walks the path without knowing it, Morpheus often fails to walk the path despite knowing it. He places his faith in The One instead of recognizing his own Buddha-nature, and he continues to ascribe significance to the physical things whose irreality he preaches. This is why he is losing the fight before he finds the sword: he forgets his own advice and keeps trying to hit the Agent. The sword is a reminder that he is here to win, and he wounds the Agent with a single exchange. It's not a transcendent moment - he is disarmed within seconds because he remains grasping the sword when it once again becomes attached to the truck - but it's enough for him to understand that he is an even match for an Agent, being well beyond those blindly trapped in the cycle of samsara the Matrix but far behind Neo on the path. Hence still needing to be rescued right after.

(By the way, did you notice that at the start of #1 Neo fails to get around the obstacle because he refuses to let go of the phone, while at the end he discards it the moment he's done with it? Like the young woman at the river.)

All this to say that I should probably watch the sequels again, because I expect them to be at the very least better than I remember. Though I harbor no illusions given that, for example, Reloaded runs 2 minutes longer than #1 and contains plenty of dialogue that is much less important than every line of #1. What is definitely true of the trilogy is that it is incomplete, which might be the actual reason it takes so much flak despite it acknowledging this within the text. After all, the Oracle foretold that the return of The One would herald the destruction of The Matrix. Hopefully with #4 we get a real ending because god help us if we have to drag this out any longer.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

VROOM VROOM posted:

Nooo I knew I was gonna get called out. I had the original DVD as a kid, I swear. I was thinking about making a video and I'll have to track down a less-green version if I do. Oh, it looks like the 2018 4k version toned the green way back down, maybe that's a good version.

The RM4K Blu is an improvement on the previous release but some scenes are now too bright (when Morpheus and Neo are in front of the fountain during the testing is a good example of that). There are some fan regrades that are closer to the original '99 colour but they're usually tough to track down.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah, I was able to borrow a friend's copy and I can see what you mean. It actually works well on the rooftops at the end when they're so bright and clean and hyperreal-looking that they feel fake, which is a nice effect, considering. The OG grimy version is always gonna be my residual mental image of the film though.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

SCheeseman posted:

Lol imagine them pulling some poo poo like this on alien or blade runner

Didn’t fellowship of the ring get some gross green tint too? What the gently caress Hollywood

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Huh, no wonder I felt something was off when I rewatched the movie on Blu-ray a while back. Actually, didn't Reloaded and Revolutions start doing that? Everything that takes place in the Matrix gets that green filter while the real world doesn't? And they just added that to the BD version of the first movie..

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The freeway sequence pretty much saves the entire movie action-wise. I get that the whole point of the Merovingian is that he's not nearly as interesting as he thinks he is, but drat don't make it my problem. The so-called Burly Brawl hasn't aged well.

The Burly Brawl still works really well for me. Its goofy and long but it has a nice pace and rhythm to it. I like how it feels like every single cut adds more Smiths. It emphasizes that Smith isn't a problem that Neo can just fight his way out of because there are just going to be more of them.

Smith is interesting in Reloaded because he's not really the thrust of the story or a main character like he was previously. He's a problem that pops up as Neo walks along the false liberation path. His last appearance in the backdoor hallway ends up being providence because it delays Neo, Morpheus and the Keymaker from getting to the door before Trinity is able to disable the bombs. Its a question within the story that if Neo did go to the Source as requested, would that have also made it possible to delete Smith on the reboot or does the reboot not impact rogue programs as implied by the Merovingian knowing former Ones? If the Merovingian can survive the reboots, what is his motivation for trying to prevent Neo from working with the Keymaker? Is it something where he keeps his consciousness but loses his form and he likes being a rich Eurodouche in this incarnation?

One other thing, the freeway chase had a ton of very open destruction and the Agents actively causing it in ways that I feel like the original ones didn't. You either have the Machines knowing that things are building up to the decisive period and moment to moment stability means a lot less to them or that the upgraded Agents are less controlled. Them trying to kill the Keymaker runs against the purpose and paths given to the other characters.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I had a vision about Resurrections that was definitely not a dream I had last night, so I'm happy to leak that the source of Neo's existential malaise in this one is that he lives in a subsidized apartment building alongside a bunch of artists he thinks are too cool for him to fit in with, and the thing that leads him to realize he's in the Matrix is that he is suddenly offered the role of director of the CDC despite having no relevant experience.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MLSM posted:

Lol imagine them pulling some poo poo like this on alien or blade runner
They kinda did, the colour timing for the Final Cut of Blade Runner is completely reworked, pushed to a more "modern" teal and orange. You'd be surprised how often colour fuckups happen too, check out the first BR edition of Do The Right Thing:

Top is the DVD with the accurate orange haze colour tint, bottom is one of the Blurays which forget to apply it.
From: dvdbeaver, a good source for checking for these kinds of things.

They did eventually fix it with later editions, but it took about a decade before that happened. So for 10 years, the "best" version of the film publicly available looked completely wrong.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 26, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Archer666 posted:

Huh, no wonder I felt something was off when I rewatched the movie on Blu-ray a while back. Actually, didn't Reloaded and Revolutions start doing that? Everything that takes place in the Matrix gets that green filter while the real world doesn't? And they just added that to the BD version of the first movie..

In theory I like the idea, it's a simple cue to the audience when something happens inside the matrix or not.

In reality, they played it straight. It would've been more useful as a tool to mislead the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a big effort post written about how much I enjoyed watching Revolutions but hosed up and accidentally closed my browser, losing all of it. I'm not going to bother trying to rewrite it unless people actually care to read my longer form opinions, otherwise I'll just leave it at that I think Revolutions is an incredibly well done action, thematic and emotional climax to the original trilogy. I'm really hyped to see if Resurrections is able to be a meaningful follow up that adds something to the story and not take it down an 'and Neo's effort and sacrifice meant gently caress all in the end' path ala Disney Star Wars.