Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

It's genuinely kind of spooky how "vote to fix the fact that our system is undemocratic" is a common talking point that most people think is reasonable and not completely insane and self-contradictory.

https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1463920477072597020?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Blarghalt posted:

it's kind of funny when you realize that when trump wins in 2024 he's gonna find new and exciting ways to gently caress things up. like the DNC is obviously turbofucked in the shorter run but it's not like the GOP isn't chained to the same boat

I don’t know. I think him wing a second time especially against the only people the dnc can actually think are their future (Kopmala,and Butt) would probably cause a full civil war in the demon rats to take place. Trump could still gently caress things up. But I don’t know if it will be the party that profits. Things are legitimately fraying across the country. The old institutions including the parties are dying.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I remember the heady days of late 2008 when people, including myself, thought the republicans were on their way to being a rump southern region party. Amazing how bad the democrat party is to completely reverse that trend in barely more then a decade.

That's happened several times now and the most the Democrats have gotten is two terms before they manage to lose everything again

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Since the minimum wage was created, only 2 democratic presidents have not increased it: Barack Obama and Joe Biden

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

IIRC on his own recognizance Obama was a college communist until he learned that you can't pick up chicks by quoting theory at them and he just sort of went whole-hog on being the most cynical opportunistic piece of poo poo he could be

imagine getting turned down so hard you start drone-striking american citizens, it's like being a secret incel supervillain
Obama, a successful Taintrunner.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Lol, Biden won't give out any Nu checks and will be disemboweled at the polls in 2024.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

That's happened several times now and the most the Democrats have gotten is two terms before they manage to lose everything again

The last time a Democratic president was elected to succeed a Democratic president (i.e., not somebody dying in office) was Buchanan elected to succeed Pierce in 1856. A Democrat has only replaced a Democrat twice in the intervening 165 years, and both times it's because the first one died (FDR and Kennedy).

Put another way, since the creation of the Republican Party in the 1850s the Democrats have never succeeded with an intentional transition of power from one Democratic president to another.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

StratGoatCom posted:

Lol, Biden won't give out any Nu checks and will be disemboweled at the polls in 2024.

capital is still in deep shock by how incredibly popular the trump checks were

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

The last time a Democratic president was elected to succeed a Democratic president (i.e., not somebody dying in office) was Buchanan elected to succeed Pierce in 1856. A Democrat has only replaced a Democrat twice in the intervening 165 years, and both times it's because the first one died (FDR and Kennedy).

Put another way, since the creation of the Republican Party in the 1850s the Democrats have never succeeded with an intentional transition of power from one Democratic president to another.

Hopefully they now die as a party.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Palladium posted:

capital is still in deep shock by how incredibly popular the trump checks were

capital loves the checks. the SLABS market has liked forebearance.

I’m starting to think politicians are in it for the misery at this point

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vomik posted:

capital loves the checks. the SLABS market has liked forebearance.

I’m starting to think politicians are in it for the misery at this point

Yes and no. It allows workers a bit more flexibility which is bad for those who operate businesses in service, construction and manufacturing.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

vyelkin posted:

working as intended

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Capital is definitely alarmed that the labor market is actually functioning efficiently for once as workers are, broadly, not as willing to stay in bad jobs or apply for bad jobs out of desperation. Many blame the checks for that even though it makes zero loving sense.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Capital is definitely alarmed that the labor market is actually functioning efficiently for once as workers are, broadly, not as willing to stay in bad jobs or apply for bad jobs out of desperation. Many blame the checks for that even though it makes zero loving sense.

The idea that we have a rational capitalist system in place can be easily dispelled when you see how many people in finance are involved in Bitcoins and nfts. The system is entirely now run on pure belief. No attempts at production are being made in a grand scale anymore. Fordism would be a good place for capitalism to go in a time of crisis the reason Henry Ford pushed it was to create a class collaborative labor aristocracy. There is no desire for that from the modern capitalist. Despite the system in a deeper crisis then the one Ford and his fellow capitalists faced.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Crowsbeak posted:

The idea that we have a rational capitalist system in place can be easily dispelled when you see how many people in finance are involved in Bitcoins and nfts. The system is entirely now run on pure belief. No attempts at production are being made in a grand scale anymore.

Pure belief and denial. They go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I feel like the details of how the dems will get creamed in 2022 aren't worth studying, all you need is the cold math that the dems only ever organize around presidents and their current president passed into "people are embarrassed to admit they voted for him" popularity in record time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/OkButStill/status/1456699682047074311

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Remember all those times Trumo got photographed resting his mighty paunch on the podium at a speaking event? Good times.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It would suck if you came into possession of the lament configuration, what if you just like puzzles?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

30.5 Days posted:

It makes sense when you realize they truly believed what they were saying when they claimed the checks would cover 6 months of expenses for the average family.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

IIRC on his own recognizance Obama was a college communist until he learned that you can't pick up chicks by quoting theory at them and he just sort of went whole-hog on being the most cynical opportunistic piece of poo poo he could be

imagine getting turned down so hard you start drone-striking american citizens, it's like being a secret incel supervillain

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Crowsbeak posted:

The idea that we have a rational capitalist system in place can be easily dispelled when you see how many people in finance are involved in Bitcoins and nfts. The system is entirely now run on pure belief. No attempts at production are being made in a grand scale anymore.

Almost as if everybody knows poo poo is hosed.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

petit choux posted:

Almost as if everybody knows poo poo is hosed.

What's worse, that, or they don't care to fix it?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Republicans haven't won a popular vote in the presidential election since 2004. Yet scotus is 7-2. lmao.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ArmZ posted:

Republicans haven't won a popular vote in the presidential election since 2004.

This has to be my favorite lib argument. It's like yeah no poo poo it's because republicans know how to win elections. It's specifically designed not to be the popular vote to prevent exactly what the democrats have done which is to write off everyone who isn't an urban elite. It's set up to ensure that a party can't govern nationally from an urban enclave it's the entire point.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

ArmZ posted:

Republicans haven't won a popular vote in the presidential election since 2004. Yet scotus is 7-2. lmao.

scotus is 9-0, capital to people

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

ArmZ posted:

Hence my previous take that the Dems died in 2000 when they let Bush declare himself president despite controlling the government.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainACAB posted:

Hence my previous take that the Dems died in 2000 when they let Bush declare himself president despite controlling the government.

the dems died a lot earlier than that

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

LastInLine posted:

This has to be my favorite lib argument. It's like yeah no poo poo it's because republicans know how to win elections. It's specifically designed not to be the popular vote to prevent exactly what the democrats have done which is to write off everyone who isn't an urban elite. It's set up to ensure that a party can't govern nationally from an urban enclave it's the entire point.

dems cant even pass a basic voting rights bill when republicans have been actively rigging elections for years lol. lmao.

the dems are going to get destroyed in 2022. rofl.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ArmZ posted:

It sounds as though the Democratic strategy of 'tell the rural poor to gently caress off while kissing the segregationists and telling them how awesome they are, then 20 years later tell the segregationists to gently caress off' created the timing for Republicans, who are clearly dumb and stupid unlike Democrats, to make an alliance that is both very difficult to defeat in the system they agreed to work under and hates Democrats.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

the democrats are a more embedded version of the Lincoln project I’m not sure why anyone thinks dems want to pass voting rights bill or any voting rights bill proposed by them would actually improve “voting rights” (the most useless right)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vomik posted:

the democrats are a more embedded version of the Lincoln project I’m not sure why anyone thinks dems want to pass voting rights bill or any voting rights bill proposed by them would actually improve “voting rights” (the most useless right)

that goes without saying.

I never expected them to pass it but it was in bidens slate of things to do with BBB and green new deal etc. and dems raise funds on that message in some places

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

ArmZ posted:

that goes without saying.

I never expected them to pass it but it was in bidens slate of things to do with BBB and green new deal etc. and dems raise funds on that message in some places

yeah that’s true. it is kind of funny that they won’t even throw a useless bone to people. I honestly think dems explicitly have decided a strategy of always being out of power so they can fundraise.

weren’t the dems dead broke right after 2016? I seem to remember that being discussed

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vomik posted:

The democrats have two primary messages:
  • The Republican Party is a fundamental threat to democracy
  • We love bipartisanship, working with republicans, and a strong Republican Party.

And they wonder why they keep losing voters

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vomik posted:

I honestly think dems explicitly have decided a strategy of always being out of power so they can fundraise.

From my understanding the business of fundraising/consulting in order to lose elections which helps the next round of fundraising and consulting is pretty much the only reason the democratic party exists. It's the one area where there simply isn't a counterpart in the gop. Not that there aren't republican fundraising emails and marketing, but that the roving bands of consultants who are paid to lose big and then explain to the party why in a way that never puts blame where it belongs, those consultants don't exist on the right.

Again, the difference between a set of people for whom its a grift and those for whom its a political project

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

This is my favorite dummy argument: The electoral college means that only a small handful of states effectively matter, it's not set up to "ensure that a party can't govern nationally from an urban enclave" at all and it doesn't do that, either. Plenty of rural people don't matter because they don't live in the right states.

It's just an outdated system that is highly undemocratic and means empty landmass is more relevant than the will of the people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LastInLine posted:

From my understanding the business of fundraising/consulting in order to lose elections which helps the next round of fundraising and consulting is pretty much the only reason the democratic party exists. It's the one area where there simply isn't a counterpart in the gop. Not that there aren't republican fundraising emails and marketing, but that the roving bands of consultants who are paid to lose big and then explain to the party why in a way that never puts blame where it belongs, those consultants don't exist on the right.

Again, the difference between a set of people for whom its a grift and those for whom its a political project

Those exist for the GOP but the structure is different. The GOP guys do a bunch of direct donor outreach ripping off their organizations directly while the Dem model has the organization itself ripping itself off on consultant fees.

So the GOP consultants make a deal with some Koch funded advocacy group that they’ll do fundraising and keep 90% to cover costs and the Koch org gets the other 10% versus the Dem consultants who instead just run the orgs and give their own consulting firms big paychecks but don’t do the same massive cut of donations.

So because the GOP grifters aren’t also running the cover orgs they don’t have to explain away losses, they just disappear into the night. While the Dems get to practice explaining why actually losing is good.

Like a good example of that on the GOP side was everyone fundraising for the CA recall effort. Same getting paid to lose as Dems do.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Nov 27, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Those exist for the GOP but the structure is different. The GOP guys do a bunch of direct donor outreach ripping off their organizations directly while the Dem model has the organization itself ripping itself off on consultant fees.

So the GOP consultants make a deal with some Koch funded advocacy group that they’ll do fundraising and keep 90% to cover costs and the Koch org gets the other 10% versus the Dem consultants who instead just run the orgs and give their own consulting firms big paychecks but don’t do the same massive cut of donations.

So because the GOP grifters aren’t also running the cover orgs they don’t have to explain away losses, they just disappear into the night. While the Dems get to practice explaining why actually losing is good.

Like a good example of that on the GOP side was everyone fundraising for the CA recall effort. Same getting paid to lose as Dems do.

I'd love to read more about this if you have handy sources. I've read a lot about election grift on the dem side but I always assumed the gop was strictly massive amounts of dark money in exchange for quid pro quo. I'll readily admit that I'm working backward from if you're winning five times as many elections as your opponent nationally, the money is made in the governance, not the lost election.

You make an interesting point that when I see astroturfing on the gop side its for causes or referendums (and I have no idea the effectiveness of their efforts nationally) but with the dems it's usually for a candidate (who loses) and usually to suppress a progressive rather than to beat a republican.

In the end I mean to say that it makes sense that the dems would learn to monetize losing elections since they were doing that anyway.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

This is my favorite dummy argument: The electoral college means that only a small handful of states effectively matter, it's not set up to "ensure that a party can't govern nationally from an urban enclave" at all and it doesn't do that, either. Plenty of rural people don't matter because they don't live in the right states.

It's just an outdated system that is highly undemocratic and means empty landmass is more relevant than the will of the people.

Yeah I love screaming at people who make the claim that the electoral college is somehow good because it "protects the hard working farmers from urban coastal elites" because that's not what it does at all.

Like the farmers vs coastal urban elites w/e argument is dumb as poo poo on its own, but that has NOTHING to do with the electoral college, where your vote only matters in terms of flipping your state, and your state only matters in terms of its population and since there's set minimum and maximum electors, it has the effect of massively amplifying or minimizing the weight of your vote depending on which side of a series of arbitrary lines you happen to live on.

It's dumb as poo poo, the founders were stupid assholes, destroy the electoral college. And also the Democrats.

:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'd love to read more about this if you have handy sources. I've read a lot about election grift on the dem side but I always assumed the gop was strictly massive amounts of dark money in exchange for quid pro quo. I'll readily admit that I'm working backward from if you're winning five times as many elections as your opponent nationally, the money is made in the governance, not the lost election.

You make an interesting point that when I see astroturfing on the gop side its for causes or referendums (and I have no idea the effectiveness of their efforts nationally) but with the dems it's usually for a candidate (who loses) and usually to suppress a progressive rather than to beat a republican.

In the end I mean to say that it makes sense that the dems would learn to monetize losing elections since they were doing that anyway.

I think you're right to consider that because capital backs the gop completely (while sometime the dems pick minor fights with specific elements of capital) that the mainline from massive dark money to protecting the interests of capital is a lot more straightforward (and you don't even need quid pro quo, like no one needs to demand that Ted Cruz back whatever capital wants, he already wants to do it). And that's part of why at the end of the day the right-wing grifts are still useful even if they are grifts. Someone sending mail to old people talking about the "democrats are going to force your kids to try gay sex" still benefits the gop even if its a scam.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

quote:

The history of that movement echoes with the sonorous names of long-dead Austrian economists, of indefatigable door-knocking cadres, of soaring perorations on a nation finally poised to realize its rendezvous with destiny. Search high and low, however, and there’s no mention of oilfields in the placenta. Nor anything about, say, the massive intersection between the culture of “network” or “multilevel” marketing—where ordinary folks try to get rich via pyramid schemes that leave their neighbors holding the bag—and the institutions of both evangelical Christianity and Mitt Romney’s Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

And yet this stuff is as important to understanding the conservative ascendancy as are the internecine organizational and ideological struggles that make up its official history—if not, indeed, more so. The strategic alliance of snake-oil vendors and conservative true believers points up evidence of another successful long march, of tactics designed to corral fleeceable multitudes all in one place—and the formation of a cast of mind that makes it hard for either them or us to discern where the ideological con ended and the money con began.

Those tactics gelled in the seventies—though they were rooted, like all things right-wing and infrastructural, in the movement that led to Barry Goldwater’s presidential nomination in 1964. In 1961 Richard Viguerie, a kid from Houston whose heroes, he once told me, were “the two Macs”—Joe McCarthy and General Douglas MacArthur—took a job as executive director for the conservative student group Young Americans for Freedom (YAF). The organization was itself something of a con, a front for the ideological ambitions of the grownups running National Review. And fittingly enough, the middle-aged man who ran the operation, Marvin Liebman, was something of a P. T. Barnum figure, famous on the right for selling the claim that he had amassed no less than a million signatures on petitions opposing the People’s Republic of China’s entry into the United Nations. (He said they were in a warehouse in New Jersey. No one ever saw the warehouse.) The first thing Liebman told Viguerie was that YAF had two thousand paid members but that in public, he should always claim there were twenty-five thousand. (Viguerie told me this personally. I found no evidence he saw anything to be ashamed of.) And the first thing that Liebman showed Viguerie was the automated “Robotype” machine he used to send out automated fundraising pitches. Viguerie’s eyes widened; he had found his life’s calling.

Following the Goldwater defeat, Viguerie went into business for himself. He famously visited the Clerk of the House of Representatives, where the identities of those who donated fifty dollars or more to a presidential campaign then by law reposed. First alone, and then with a small army of “Kelly Girls” (as he put it to me in 1996), he started copying down the names and addresses in longhand until some nervous bureaucrat told him to cease and desist.

By then, though, it was too late: Viguerie had captured some 12,500 addresses of the most ardent right-wingers in the nation. “And that list,” he wrote in his 2004 book, America’s Right Turn: How Conservatives Used New and Alternative Media to Take Over America, “was my treasure trove, as good as the gold bricks deposited at Fort Knox, as I started The Viguerie Company and began raising money for conservative clients.”

Fort Knox: an interesting image. Isn’t that what proverbial con men are always claiming to sell?

The lists got bigger, the technology better (“Where are my names?” he nervously asked, studying the surface of the first computer tape containing his trove): twenty-five million names by 1980, destination for some one hundred million mail pieces a year, dispatched by some three hundred employees in boiler rooms running twenty-four hours a day. The Viguerie Company’s marketing genius was that as it continued metastasizing, it remained, in financial terms, a hermetic positive feedback loop. It brought the message of the New Right to the masses, but it kept nearly all the revenue streams locked down in Viguerie’s proprietary control. Here was a key to the hustle: typically, only 10 to 15 percent of the haul went to the intended beneficiaries. The rest went back to Viguerie’s company. In one too-perfect example, Viguerie raised $802,028 for a client seeking to distribute Bibles in Asia—who paid $889,255 for the service.
Here’s the thing, though: as is the case with most garden-variety pyramid schemes, the supposed start-up costs never seemed to stop. And conservative groups that finally decoupled their causes from Viguerie’s firm found their fundraising costs falling to less than fifty cents on the dollar. Viguerie would point out his clients didn’t feel ripped off. At that, maybe some were in on the con, too—for instance, his client Citizens for Decent Literature, an anti-smut group, took in an estimated $2.3 million over a two-year period, with more than 80 percent going to Viguerie’s company; the group’s principal was future S&L fraudster Charles Keating.
Such qualms clearly did not carry the day—and now the practice is apparently too true to the heart of conservatism to die. In 2007, the Washington Post reported on the lucrative fundraising sideline worked up by syndicated columnist Linda Chavez. George W. Bush had nominated Chavez to be his first secretary of labor, but then backpedaled after reports that she had lied about an undocumented worker living in her house. Among the prime red-meat entries on her résumé is a book called Betrayal: How Union Bosses Shake Down Their Members and Corrupt American Politics. And while Chavez probably wouldn’t have brought much reliable wisdom to the task of regulating organized labor, it’s quite clear from the Post report that she had mastered the art of the shakedown. In her direct-mail career, she had “used phone banks and direct-mail solicitations to raise tens of millions of dollars, founding several political action committees with bankable names: the Republican Issues Committee, the Latino Alliance, Stop Union Political Abuse and the Pro-Life Campaign Committee. Their solicitations promise direct action in the ‘fight to save unborn lives,’ a vigorous struggle against ‘big labor bosses’ and a crippling of ‘liberal politics in the country.’” But true to the Viguerie model, less than 1 percent of the money that Chavez’s groups raised went to actual political activity. The rest went either back into further fundraising pitches or into salaries and perks for Chavez and her relatives. “I guess you could call it the family business,” Chavez told the Post. I guess you could.

https://www.salon.com/2010/08/04/freedoms_defense_fund_base_connect/

quote:

Thousands of grassroots conservative donors around the country who believe they are contributing to the fight to reclaim Congress in the fall have actually poured millions of dollars into a group of political action committees whose primary function appears to be enriching a notorious Washington direct mail fundraising firm, Salon's review of the groups' FEC filings shows.

The PACs -- Freedom's Defense Fund, the Black Republican PAC, Veterans for Victory, and the Republican Member Senate Fund -- are all based out of post office boxes in Washington and all have a treasurer in common: Scott Mackenzie, a campaign finance consultant at Base Connect, the direct mail firm. Formerly known as BMW Direct, Base Connect has long been controversial for its practice of raising large sums of money for long-shot conservative candidates, who in turn pay Base Connect as much as 80 or 90 percent of the money raised for its services.

The PACs appear to be a clever twist on that model: Instead of having to find and pitch a congressional campaign on its services, Base Connect can, through the PACs, send out fundraising solicitations each election cycle on the basis of evergreen issues like promoting black Republicans. Of the money raised by the four PACs, 60 to 70 percent typically goes to Base Connect and its affiliates. Meanwhile, the PACs have spent from as little as 2 percent to as much as 6 percent of the money raised on funding actual campaigns -- a strikingly small share. The rest of the PAC's funds go to operating expenses like bank and legal fees, and occasionally to consulting fees to people such as conservative activist Jerome Corsi.

The grift is structured in a way for the GOP that you keep fundraising off the scary democrats forcing your kids to not pray in schools, win or lose. Versus the dems that institutionalize the grift and Emily's List and MoveOn have to justify their continued existence to the public, while Base Connect just has to send a check for $50,000 to a random republican every so often.

And this is just one class of grifter, the fundraising consultant. There is an equally important grifter to the story we can't ignore, the media consultant.

See media consultants get kickbacks on ad sales. Industry standard is 15%. So for ever "million dollar ad buy", the media consultant makes a sweet $150,000 on the back end, in addition to their actual fees charged to the campaign.

https://www.salon.com/2006/05/09/campaign_consultants/

quote:

OK, you've studied the issues so intently that you can recite from memory the candidate's nine-part plan for graduated, phased "victory with honor" withdrawal from Iraq. And you've crunched enough polling data to create a black hole and can prove through regression analysis that your candidate can knock off the incumbent merely by picking up 11 percentage points among male voters over the age of 37 who watch the Cooking Channel.

But have you scrutinized the financial arrangements and consultant contracts of this campaign the way you would skeptically analyze the balance sheet of your favorite charity? Would you feel ripped off if you discovered that about 15 percent of everything you donate goes right into the pockets of the media-consulting firm?

What we are talking about is one of the biggest secrets in politics, right up there with debate briefing books and sealed divorce decrees. In this fate-of-the-nation political year when more than $1 billion will be given to Senate and House candidates, there is just one certainty about the outcome -- the true winners in November will be the leading media consultants in both parties.

For more than a quarter-century, media consultants have been paid not in fixed dollar terms, but as a percentage of the campaign's television buy. The more often a candidate goes on television, the more the media consultant makes, even though the actual cookie-cutter commercials may have all the originality of a Harvard undergraduate's coming-of-age novel. Small wonder that in virtually every free-spending political race in both parties, the campaign manager (who is paid a salary, which is publicly disclosed) and the pollster (who is usually compensated by a flat rate per poll) start gazing enviously at the media consultant as they conclude, "We're in the wrong business." Remember, we're not dealing with chump change here like FedEx charges or gassing up the campaign van. We're talking about an off-the-top rake-off of campaign funds that might make Exxon executives envious. As Leslie Kerman, a Democratic campaign lawyer and a leading behind-the-scenes crusader against the inflated fees paid to media firms, puts it, "These same consultants love to run ads about out-of-control compensation for CEOs, but they don't think about their own compensation."

Democrats have the reputation as the party of gold-plated consultants largely because of Bob Shrum, the sharp-elbowed and avaricious image-maker for Al Gore and John Kerry. But in this campaign year, at least, there do not appear to be major differences between the two parties in terms of the vigorish paid to media consultants. Interviews with both Democratic and Republican campaign managers, pollsters and national party officials all produced similar descriptions of the current fee structure for ad makers. Given the reluctance of virtually everyone in politics to talk on-the-record about this taboo topic, I sometimes felt as if I would have to resort to meeting my sources in underground parking garages at 2 in morning.

These days, in a typical hotly contested House race, the media consulting firm will get between 10 percent and 15 percent of the total television ad buy, full reimbursement of production costs, maybe a post-election "victory bonus" and sometimes a $3,000-a-month consulting fee. To convey a sense of how perplexing this all is (especially to the campaign managers who negotiate the contracts), the consultant's percentage fee is calculated based on the TV stations' posted ad rates (the inflated gross) rather than the actual charges (the net). If the prior sentence confuses you, just think Hollywood sleight-of-hand bookkeeping.

So that firm that's hired to sell the idea of placing TV ads will get paid $$$$ if the campaign places a lot of TV ads. So guess what they do? They argue and poll and make presentations about how we must buy a bunch of TV ads, its the only way to win!

And all those ads cost a lot of money.

Now if you're a 100% capital aligned candidate (the GOP and many Dems) this is no problem after all, you can just get the credit card companies to write you a check to buy a bunch of ads. But if you aren't the most ardently pro-capital campaign imaginable (say you're an otherwise pro-capital dem, but you hate gun violence or want to pretend to care about climate change), well good luck getting the corporations to open your pocket book to buy *enough* ads, where "enough" is defined as buying your media consultants the place in the Hamptons they always wanted.

So you turn to the fundraising consultants, to raise that cash. Which they can do, if you just stop talking about improving healthcare and instead start talking about how eager you were to kill Americans on 9/11.

So now you have one set of consultants saying the only way to win is TV ads, another set saying we can fundraising all the money you want if you just do what we say.

But there's a third kind of consultant that's important here too, the field consultants. Those are the ones whose job it is to make sure you get voters to the polls to vote for you. Except those guys don't get kickbacks and don't raise $$$. So they can't make lavish presentations about how we need to GOTV to win. Instead only the media consultants have the money to woo the campaign principles.

So the media consultants and the fundraising consultants take over campaigning, and that's how we get an environment where losing but raising a bunch of money counts as winning. Not just because all the consultants got paid, but because everyone believes you need to do massive fundraising to win, since you have to do massive ad buys to win, since that's what the dazzling presentations from the media consultants said.

It doesn't matter how many voters you mobilize, doesn't matter how good your ground game is, because the media consultants have convinced everyone with power in the party that first you must buy a bunch of TV ads before you even have a chance at winning. So getting voters to the polls is an afterthought compared to fundraising, which is seen as a prerequisite to winning.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Nov 27, 2021