Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I never understood how he got his name though

Souls lore has many mysteries.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

It's a hallmark of the Souls games to have some sort of headgear that a) boosts your magic damage a ton, making it highly desirable to wear, and b) looks goofy as gently caress. I'm talkin' Crown of Dusk, I'm talkin' the Custard Tornado from Demon's Souls.

What I wanna know if Elden Ring will have one and will it be able to top previous games in their level of goofiness?

(also IMO the magic-boosting headgear in Dark Souls 1 should've been Big Hat Logan's Big Hat but that's just me)

gwyndolin’s crown boosts magic albeit not as much as dusk’s and that poo poo looks great

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

gwyndolin’s crown boosts magic albeit not as much as dusk’s and that poo poo looks great

It's pretty fly but it's no Big Hat

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brandfarlig posted:

resistance is the "only" trap stat unless I'm forgetting one. Everything else will give you something useful. Endurance is very powerful since it gives you both stamina and allows you to equip heavier stuff.

Other than that, have fun. It's not a flawless game but it's beloved for a reason.

Resistance is flat bad and you shouldn't invest in it at all, but it's also pretty easy to accidentally spread yourself too thin if you jump around between casting stats and physical stats, too. You can recover somewhat by grinding out more souls, but it's more of a band-aid answer.

Thinking on it, have they confirmed if re-speccing will be a thing in Elden Ring? I assume so but I don't recall seeing a definitive answer on that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Generally if you spread your stats thin there's still stuff with high base damage you can use, including elemental upgrades. You might not be able to use everything you'd want to but you can't really screw yourself over to the point you can't finish the game, even SL1 players end up with strong and capable characters (they just need to be more careful about taking damage).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jank is good.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CYBEReris posted:

Generally if you spread your stats thin there's still stuff with high base damage you can use, including elemental upgrades. You might not be able to use everything you'd want to but you can't really screw yourself over to the point you can't finish the game, even SL1 players end up with strong and capable characters (they just need to be more careful about taking damage).

I do appreciate that about DS1. The elemental weapons can carry you through most of the base game with no problem if you're not getting good damage any other way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The two things to hammer home to people is that folks beat these games naked, with a broken sword, having leveled up 0 times....so don't stress your build *that* much. And second that death really really doesn't matter. Did you have like 8k souls on you and then you die twice trying to zoom back to them? It doesn't mean poo poo, you can grind souls quick is you really really want to. You haven't lost anything that really matters, even if it is a bit annoying. Just let it go and move on, you are fine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Point of order, losing a bloodstain does matter in 2.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mulva posted:

The two things to hammer home to people is that folks beat these games naked, with a broken sword, having leveled up 0 times....so don't stress your build *that* much. And second that death really really doesn't matter. Did you have like 8k souls on you and then you die twice trying to zoom back to them? It doesn't mean poo poo, you can grind souls quick is you really really want to. You haven't lost anything that really matters, even if it is a bit annoying. Just let it go and move on, you are fine.

The thing is that the people that beat these games naked and with broken swords are gods at dodging and ripostes. If you're really bad at those, builds start to matter a lot more.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

The thing is that the people that beat these games naked and with broken swords are gods at dodging and ripostes. If you're really bad at those, builds start to matter a lot more.

But those are learned skills, not innate, and as long as someone is patient they can pick them up for themselves and will probably even learn faster throwing themselves into the deep end

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Not everyone is willing to take off all their clothes just to be good at Dark Souls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nuns with Guns posted:

I do appreciate that about DS1. The elemental weapons can carry you through most of the base game with no problem if you're not getting good damage any other way.

DS1 is still kind of operating on Demon’s Souls logic where pure physical everything is the “hard mode” and magic/fire/lightning is deliberately op.

Dabir posted:

Point of order, losing a bloodstain does matter in 2.

Only for multiplayer which itself doesn’t matter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Does it actually matter for soul memory if you get your bloodstain back in DS2? I thought the way it worked as soon as you died the damage was done because picking them back up will count separately against you from their original acquisition, so whether you pick up your bloodstain or farm new souls its all going in the SM anyways

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CYBEReris posted:

But those are learned skills, not innate, and as long as someone is patient they can pick them up for themselves and will probably even learn faster throwing themselves into the deep end

It all comes down to timing - some people are better at timing than others. It can be learned to a certain extent, but it's not possible for everyone to become a naked fistgod.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The real thing about builds in Souls games is that if you're willing to spend more souls, you can always level more stats. People stop at levels the community tends to agree on for multiplayer matchmaking purposes, especially PvP dueling, but if you're not in it just for the endgame dueling, you can always just level higher than the PvP build levels you see around.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You don't need to be a naked SL1 guy to learn how to dodge...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The main advice I'd give someone starting out in Souls games who's intimidated by their challenge is just that there's no such thing as "playing fair" in Souls. These games fight dirty. You can fight dirty, too. Go ahead and use magic. Use bows to pull enemies farther away without aggroing other nearby enemies (or to outright snipe enemies to death in Demon's Souls, where bows are OP). Level stats higher than you're "supposed" to. Grab a big-rear end shield and tank stuff if you're finding dodging and parrying too hard. Summon help, NPC or player. Do whatever makes the game most fun for you because what's the point if you're not enjoying it?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 26, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

My first play through the drake sword carried me through to the lightning spear in sens, which carried me the rest of the game I think. My stats were a mess of course. I dont remember any one boss giving me too much trouble outside of taurus demon and of course O&S, but only for a bit.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
You can beat the game at SL1, naked, fists only, on a DDR mat, blindfolded. I wouldn't recommend doing this on your first playthrough.

Pick a weapon (or magic) you find fun, level your stats to match its scaling, don't neglect Vitality and Endurance along the way, don't stress over lost souls, and keep your shield up. The new game experience is neither so easy you need to tie one hand behind your back or so hard that you need to agonize over every point spent.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My first time playing DS I got lucky with Black Knight Greataxe and Halberd drops and those weapons carried me nearly the entire game. It was cool to get such good weapons, but otoh I never really got to experiment with the others

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Resistance is flat bad and you shouldn't invest in it at all, but it's also pretty easy to accidentally spread yourself too thin if you jump around between casting stats and physical stats, too. You can recover somewhat by grinding out more souls, but it's more of a band-aid answer.

Thinking on it, have they confirmed if re-speccing will be a thing in Elden Ring? I assume so but I don't recall seeing a definitive answer on that.

You could, but there's basically no reason to level both int and faith on top of a physical damage stat since there's no spells that support that until later games.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I'm doing for my first ER playthrough. Normally I'd do quality so I can use basically any weapon but not being able to cast any spells sounds like a miss. Dex + a casting stat seems tempting, in particular if dex still boosts cast speed.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My first time playing DS I got lucky with Black Knight Greataxe and Halberd drops and those weapons carried me nearly the entire game. It was cool to get such good weapons, but otoh I never really got to experiment with the others

Ugh, don't remind me. I wanted to do a vanilla run of DS1 with the Halberd and I had to kill that knight in darkroot like 10 times before it dropped. I'm pretty good at getting through the asylum quickly at least. Now I'd just find a mod or cheatengine it.
The worst thing is that there's probably a smarter way of doing it even in vanilla but I found 1 halberd knight and stuck with it.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 26, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

You could, but there's basically no reason to level both int and faith on top of a physical damage stat since there's no spells that support that until later games.

You can make builds that use low-requirement spells getting scaling from the opposite stat using the Velka Talisman or Darkmoon Catalyst. i.e. a Faith build that can also cast Dark Bead and in the process also has access to the various Oolacile and Vinheim utility spells. There's nothing as synergistic as hexes but that doesn't mean you can't mix it up.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

CYBEReris posted:

You can make builds that use low-requirement spells getting scaling from the opposite stat using the Velka Talisman or Darkmoon Catalyst. i.e. a Faith build that can also cast Dark Bead and in the process also has access to the various Oolacile and Vinheim utility spells. There's nothing as synergistic as hexes but that doesn't mean you can't mix it up.

Sure, but a new player is unlikely to try to go for faith+int+str/dex since there's not much to steer them in that direction. At least I hope so.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

skasion posted:

Only for multiplayer which itself doesn’t matter.

There's limited respawns for every enemy. If you lose a bloodstain, those particular souls are gone forever.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Dabir posted:

There's limited respawns for every enemy. If you lose a bloodstain, those particular souls are gone forever.

Covenant of champions turns that off.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Currently in Anor Alonso with an Iaito +10 going for faith/dex. Chaos blade doesn’t sound worth it, should I go Iaito +15? Also at 25 faith, need to run back and grab my spell for the Sun Spear or whatever. That’s a LONG run back though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If you’re faith hybrid go +15 and cast sunlight blade on it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I never understood how he got his name though

Logan's Run is his favourite movie

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Logan's Run is his favourite movie

Here I was thinking he’s a big Succession fan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

acyclicity posted:

Not everyone is willing to take off all their clothes just to be good at Dark Souls.

poo poo, if I knew that's all it took I'd have done it when I installed the game

multijoe posted:

You don't need to be a naked SL1 guy to learn how to dodge...

Aw, man.

Oh....you guys were referring to my character.

*puts my clothes back on*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gaming pro-tip: Wearing armour will decrease damage taken and allow your character to withstand more hits without dying

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

Gaming pro-tip: Wearing armour will decrease damage taken and allow your character to withstand more hits without dying

Citation needed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acyclicity posted:

Speak for yourself :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

multijoe posted:

ha ha funny guy that's what the resistance stat is for

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Aidan_702 posted:

Trip report please, or just do what everyone else is doing now on these them forums and let us support mock and deride you while giving you the most oblique hints in history on twitch stream

Borrowed a "universal" controller but the game didn't recognize it so doing KB/M. Made a pyromancer per instructions. Took me 3 tries and 8 fire bombs to get the Asylum Demon. Made it to Firelink and explored around a bit, found so treasure chests, fell off the cliff and got killed by skeletons 3 times before I had to go do family stuff. Enjoying it so far but I expected the remaster to have better graphics.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

Borrowed a "universal" controller but the game didn't recognize it so doing KB/M. Made a pyromancer per instructions. Took me 3 tries and 8 fire bombs to get the Asylum Demon. Made it to Firelink and explored around a bit, found so treasure chests, fell off the cliff and got killed by skeletons 3 times before I had to go do family stuff. Enjoying it so far but I expected the remaster to have better graphics.

It’s better than the original graphics in that it can successfully set its own aspect ratio without making GBS threads bricks. That’s it pretty much. They didn’t really remake assets or anything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Speak for yourself :colbert:

sup, fellow unclothed video game player? WE do what it takes

:patriot:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BiggerBoat posted:

sup, fellow unclothed video game player? WE do what it takes