Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Solarin posted:

Some MQ2 raid botters are going to make their mortgage payments from a single plane of time run early on. There's at least 20 items that will sell very easily for 50+ krono, and probably even higher in the first week. Plus basically any P4-5 drop that isn't cloth should be 10-30 krono each for a couple months.

Yeah that’s what I’m expecting. A ton of raid drops in PoP in the first month won’t fit under the Bazaar cap. We got two months of use out of the Bazaar before going back to shouting in PoK like it’s the Commonlands tunnel.

Luclin has been a giant flaming disaster for Mischief. I guess cynically if they wanted to murder the server population in time to announce their next TLP this followed by four months of PoP might be the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So I follow this thread because I'll occasionally futz around on live and it's fun to read, but I need some clarity on something. How much $$ is a krono in real money? What with all the crazy boxing talk etc, has this game basically become by the whales, for the whales? Could somebody even feasably get up to speed in the end game without dropping hundreds of dollars?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Krono is like $8-$15 dollars depending on where you get it. At least last I played.

You can get any and all gear without ever spending a dime as long as you put in the time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

WTF BEES posted:

So I follow this thread because I'll occasionally futz around on live and it's fun to read, but I need some clarity on something. How much $$ is a krono in real money? What with all the crazy boxing talk etc, has this game basically become by the whales, for the whales? Could somebody even feasably get up to speed in the end game without dropping hundreds of dollars?

You could feasibly get up to speed with a couple months subscription time on Mischief. After 2-3 you can probably sell enough stuff to fuel your sub without paying.

All the economy stuff in the thread is mostly around the high end current expansion stuff. You can buy a ton of Velious raid gear right now for dirt cheap. You won’t have BIS or all the top raid clickies, but you’ll probably have better gear than you ever did on live back in the day.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

WTF BEES posted:

From DBG krono is $18 each. From other players usually the going rate (so I am told) is ~$10 each.

IMO yes you could easily get up to speed without dropping hundreds of dollars but it’s going to involve some mix of straight up grinding, grouping & guilding with other people and plat raids. We had a cleric disappear at end of luclin come back for OOW and we caught him up in about a week with small group stuff. He’s not our best geared cleric but he can survive on raids now. The content from previous eras becomes substantially easier.

You probably wouldn’t be able to get to the end game alone without dumping money but that’s soooort of fitting because you don’t really play the end game alone.

Once your character is established it becomes easier to deal with the economy. You can (and the longer you stay on a server probably should) build up a krono stash by occasionally buying a krono with your plat and selling items for krono from time to time. It’s good to have a few krono just because when you’re paying attention you can flip them and even if you’re only flipping tiny margins that’s an additional small source of plat income. There is crazy plat inflation over time, you want to convert the plat to krono periodically.

At first I side eyed krono p heavily when I returned to the game. You start to realize though that you can play in the krono economy without throwing USD at it but it does take in game time and effort to acquire and time is money and all that. I personally don’t exchange money for it but I get why some people might.

It adds another aspect to the game though and strangely can be kind of fun? Krono I earned and stashed away in luclin appreciate in value and made it easier to purchase big items in GoD. It just involves some patience.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

WTF BEES posted:

There's basically no barrier to getting raid ready in pre PoP expansions. I guess that's part of the appeal. You level and key and join the zerg of 72 players mashing down enormous boss health bars in 15 minute long fights.

Mischief is probably the easiest server to gear on with raid bosses dropping 2-5x the standard amount of loot. The thing you'd miss the most from not opening your wallet are the 40 slot bags daybreak sells for cash.

As for the boxing, every truebox TLP I've played on has had people automating full raids to sell the loot rights. FV loot just makes it so much easier to get value out of botting raids that I assume there's more than one group doing it on mischief.

There's a lot of greasy behavior on these servers because real money can be made with little effort by people with software and knowledge. To enjoy the game you ignore the botting, hacking and RMT and just hit the dragon with your guild.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Two questions:

- Where is krono bought/sold for money other than the DBG store? I have no issue buying a couple to jump start my journey but I don't want to wind up buying from somewhere that's not permitted or would get me banned or something. But, the idea of getting them for half the cost of the official store has appeal.

- Are there ever balance patches any more? I have a soft spot for rogues but from reading various threads it seems like they have been poo poo for years. I'd like to play one but don't want to commit a bunch of time on something that will never be wanted.

Mischief, btw

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Syrinxx posted:

Two questions:

- Where is krono bought/sold for money other than the DBG store? I have no issue buying a couple to jump start my journey but I don't want to wind up buying from somewhere that's not permitted or would get me banned or something. But, the idea of getting them for half the cost of the official store has appeal.

- Are there ever balance patches any more? I have a soft spot for rogues but from reading various threads it seems like they have been poo poo for years. I'd like to play one but don't want to commit a bunch of time on something that will never be wanted.

Mischief, btw

Ec tunnel dot com (seriously)

And I don't know about rogues. Bards rule.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Eh, every class has a place in a guild, every expansion changes class balance a bit and everyone gets a time to shine I think at some point. Grouping is a different matter but then again for grouping what is VASTLY more important is how social you are, if you make friends with people who play around the same time as you or are willing to put in the effort in finding people to form a group (people almost universally hate being the group leader, its a pain in the rear end) you'll have an easier time.

Main problem w/ rogues is they are EXTREMELY gear dependant, which can be hard to overcome for a new player, but gear is probably cheaper on mischief than basically any other TLP server if you're willing to spend krono. Rogues can't solo for poo poo tho so you'll basically never kill anything outside of a group above level 10 or so.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 27, 2021

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Syrinxx posted:

Two questions:

Mischief, btw

It’s important to note that ANY krono buying outside of daybreak is TOS violation. So just be aware of that and don’t talk about it in game. Just like you don’t talk about show EQ in game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Syrinxx posted:

Two questions:

Mischief, btw

Rogues are perfectly fine at the era mischief is in, it's more about playing your class well and then what group you get put into in raids if you're worried about topping DPS meters. As for grouping, yeah, just make friends, join a guild etc. People really shouldn't be turning people down for groups unless they are shitheads.

But yeah, as noted, you're gear and group dependent as gently caress.

Have you started your character yet or are you still on the fence/deciding?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean if there’s a lot of people LFG you are absolutely going to get passed over for a more desirable class if you’re a rogue. There’s no point sugar coating it.

Doesn’t mean you won’t ever find grounds but it is definitely putting yourself at a handicap.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
If you really want to do a rogue....

Boxing means you don't have to deal with that crap.

One of my buddies on Selo did an excellent Rogue / Shaman combo, and I partnered with him with my SK / Monk combo and we just blew up stuff effortlessly.
He mentioned it was a very smooth leveling experience when he was just doing his own duo.

It's more work but you can play your desired class and you'd actually get more groups as a combo like that then a solo rogue to be honest.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah rogue shaman is excellent. Shaman tanks and rogue destroys things. Go ogre for easiest time murdering anything.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Rogue is in a strange place on Mischief. Yeah they’re underpowered and also gear dependent. But the ability to twink the everliving hell out of one for very little helps tremendously. Also being the least popular class on Mischief makes a lot of their gear super cheap. As a random example Massive Heartwood Thorn off Tunare regularly dips below 1000pp. Rogue-only gear is dirt cheap. You can also get a 1H Primal/Prismatic weapon for around 20-30k plat as well so you’ll have an Avatar weapon ready to go once you can use it.

The flipside is that we’re not seeing Luclin raid gear plummet in price like the Kunark and Velious gear did. Most of the raid stuff gets bought and relisted by the same 2-3 accounts. (Whomever has the mule Fatkronos seems to do a lot of that) So we’re creeping up on PoP and much of the raid loot is being listed at several Krono worth of plat each.

If that becomes the new normal Rogues lose a lot of the easy gear advantage. I’m guessing when the population drops toward the end of PoP it could be a long slog till Rogues get buffed in later expansions.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm playing rogue and solo wise I can kill up to level 56 bosses in chardok with just pressing attack then go afk. Level 58ish ones I have to use a healing potion every time or try to get a willsapper proc for the sake of saving the potion. For chardok in particular you never lose money spamming literally all the potions you want though, ymmv elsewhere.

My gear is good not great but I have a lot of crap specifically geared towards soloing, ds clicks and regen gear etc. Also the tanking AAs.

Rogue also has the fastest casting invigorate bp so the downtime isn't so harsh.

My reference is all just p99 stuff so I feel hilariously powerful compared to p99 but I dunno how much better or worse other classes have it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kalas posted:

If you really want to do a rogue....

Boxing means you don't have to deal with that crap.

One of my buddies on Selo did an excellent Rogue / Shaman combo, and I partnered with him with my SK / Monk combo and we just blew up stuff effortlessly.
He mentioned it was a very smooth leveling experience when he was just doing his own duo.

It's more work but you can play your desired class and you'd actually get more groups as a combo like that then a solo rogue to be honest.

Thanks, I have actually tried to set up a boxing account but I'm still not clear on what truebox means, and out of fear that I'd be banned or something I set the second client up on an old laptop and use a VNC window to try and control it from my gaming PC. It is... not great. What is the best way to 2 box on Mischief without getting banned? My main PC is more than capable of running it in Virtualbox or something similar.

My second account has a druid that I can level up a bit and I hoped to duo with something melee oriented.... rogue because I love them, maybe bard or paladin both of which I have below level 20 on my main account as well.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

True box simply means one client per physical computer, so if you have a spare laptop made anytime since EQ has been around you have that covered. You do have to krono both accounts but a duo is going to be insanely comfy for ‘I wanna log in and make meaningful progress / camp an item’ without having to fuss with requiring a group.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks, I have actually tried to set up a boxing account but I'm still not clear on what truebox means, and out of fear that I'd be banned or something I set the second client up on an old laptop and use a VNC window to try and control it from my gaming PC. It is... not great. What is the best way to 2 box on Mischief without getting banned? My main PC is more than capable of running it in Virtualbox or something similar.

My second account has a druid that I can level up a bit and I hoped to duo with something melee oriented.... rogue because I love them, maybe bard or paladin both of which I have below level 20 on my main account as well.

There's cheap software (~25$) called Multiplicity that make it a breeze to control two computers. I use it for non-EQ stuff, and it lets you pipe sound over the network as well.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
For my two box setup I dug an old laptop out of the closet and plugged it into a monitor I had. I have a numeric keypad with all my spells/macros tied to those keys, and a trackball I snagged off Facebook Marketplace for $10.

It took a lot of getting used to but I like the two boxes now. It wasn’t till I tried PLing my SK with my Druid that it really “clicked” for me but now I’m having fun. (Pro-tip: don’t try Druid/Enchanter as your first box duo) I’ve started levelling a Bard to use as a lazy third box once I find a $50 laptop or business class desktop for it.

In semi-related news Bard is the coolest class ever and I was a fool for neglecting it so long. Snagged a Mask of Tinkering for 100k when Krono was 160k which felt more than reasonable. Gnome Bard supremacy. :hellyeah:

(Looks like Krono are dipping back down to 160k per, interesting)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I'd suggest not messing with VMs. They have handed out bans in the past for it. I'm sure people who know the EQ client and VMs in depth can circumvent the detection. Average slobs trying to do it are risking their accounts.

Remote desktop or software kvm stuff is gray area enough that most consider it safe. Input Director and Multiplicity are the two programs I hear about often. The way I started boxing was using the Steam streaming feature to mimic having two clients on one PC. I just use a laptop on my desk now and have no idea if steam steaming still works.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Multiplicity and hotkeynet with a dash of autohotkey scripts will set you up perfectly. It does take a bit of legroom to get it going. AHK for your melee rotation, canni dancing, various other looping macros, hotkeynet to input broadcast, and multiplicity to use one mouse/keyboard and treat it like a second screen. Multiplicity is worth paying for the convenience of multi boxing imo.

Just make sure when you use hotkeynet you don’t broadcast simultaneous, identical, inputs. Set it up so if you hit 4, it transmits shift 4 to your box, or something else entirely not just +modifier. just don’t make it send the same key to the client or you’ll be ‘true-boxed’ and disconnected. They only check for same key not whether you did actions at the same moment, with one client sending 4 the other Q. Daybreak are kinda bad at catching stuff like this, people get away with fully automated botting on the regular. You can also build a one of those with autohotkey that scrapes your log file if you’re patient enough to figure it out.

I agree with avoid VMs. It is possible but the setup isn’t typical from what I heard. It is also something that if you fuckup somehow you are risking the accounts when they randomly do banwaves. At least with KVM you’re always on wholly different device IDs.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 28, 2021

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004
I am wondering if anyone has Soul Leech, Dark Sword of Blood and Blade of Abrogation on Fironia Vie for sale or can anyone help me with these fights. I am level 60 sk going for it's epic 1.0 and was able to get this far moloing. My char. name is Gnomberto and my alt is globbob please send a tell or reply if you can help

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
PoP today on mischief. How’s it going over there? I guess it’s only been up now like 90 minutes. But share the hoary details and wacky bristlebane RNG fun.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just long zone times.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

didnt notice any problems on thornblade, altho we ported straight to tranquility to start raids. someone said the spell vendors in POK hadnt spawned perhaps at the start?

did get some time loot from plane of innovation i think which was kinda silly

also heard a rumor that a plane of decay mob dropped one of the plane of time backflag things, so, thats also a thing i guess. its nodrop tho

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 9, 2021

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Long handoff times for zoning and the doors in PoK don't work lol. Otherwise seems fine. I was missing more spells than I thought I was

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’ve spent the last hour zoning and getting disconnected in PoTranq personally. Can’t even Origin or cast Ring of Nexus without getting DCed and ending up back in PoTranq.

Some people are saying it’s playable if you can get into a DZ, but otherwise the server is a flaming disaster today. Not a huge surprise with PoP launching, but it’s pretty much broken.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

tranquility is fine as of about an hour ago (maybe a little longer), haven't had an issue going through base tranq zone since.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MF_James posted:

tranquility is fine as of about an hour ago (maybe a little longer), haven't had an issue going through base tranq zone since.

Yeah all the server issues are sorted and it’s pretty much fine in all the places I’ve been so far. (Tranq, Justice, Innovation and Nightmare so far)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Truly a classic experience.

When EQ first came out I was in college, and I don't know why, but every time you zoned when on the dorm's network, you'd get d/c'd. I can't believe I continued to play the game putting up with that. When I went back home for xmas / summer, no issues on our crappy dial up internet.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Same, except instead of crashing when I zoned it just took 10 minutes.

Remember when you couldn't send tells to people while they were zoning :v:

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

suuma posted:

Same, except instead of crashing when I zoned it just took 10 minutes.

Remember when you couldn't send tells to people while they were zoning :v:

PVP servers, you cant attack a player at a zone like till they "jiggle". We had so many wars at Gfay, Lguk, butcherblock and every teleport location.

Such a totally funny time to play, Bards running like hell, wizards 1 shotting people, god help you if you got charmed, feared, or whatever.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I remember I had AOL dialup (lmao) and even when we got AOL broadband (double LOL) for some reason I'd lag to hell and back in Odus. Consistently, constantly, lag when I was on Odus, but only there. Every other continent was relatively lag free.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember playing on dialup and getting disconnected because someone called my house and logging back into find I had died.

Good times

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
I used to be able to disconnect/pull the cable on my first cable modem and run through dungeon's without getting agro for about 15 seconds, then plug it back in and quickly feign death. Caught up to a few raids that way. Not sure if that is still around

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Don't think it works with modern broadband, but I also did this to run through dangerous zones on my mage :)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Seeing kill messages for Mujaki the Devourer (PoN) every 5 mins or so on Mischief. I guess people have figured out an easy way to break the random loot system

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Syrinxx posted:

Seeing kill messages for Mujaki the Devourer (PoN) every 5 mins or so on Mischief. I guess people have figured out an easy way to break the random loot system

Yeah Mujaki is dropping phase 4 PoTime loot apparently.

In unrelated news, I think I’m done. Two days of futility trying to get flag groups is enough for me. I don’t see PoP getting any more enjoyable without a decent guild and Noble Heroes of Mischief loving sucks. Gonna cash out what I can for krono and wait for the next TLP.

Plus Endwalker just dropped and I haven’t played FFXIV in close to a year. Time for something different. :woop:

Edit: lol the forums whiners got stuff nerfed already. PoTime segregated into its own loot pool.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Yeah Mujaki is dropping phase 4 PoTime loot apparently.

In unrelated news, I think I’m done. Two days of futility trying to get flag groups is enough for me. I don’t see PoP getting any more enjoyable without a decent guild and Noble Heroes of Mischief loving sucks. Gonna cash out what I can for krono and wait for the next TLP.

Plus Endwalker just dropped and I haven’t played FFXIV in close to a year. Time for something different. :woop:

Edit: lol the forums whiners got stuff nerfed already. PoTime segregated into its own loot pool.

I guarantee that the people farming Mujaki also reported it to stem the tide of p4 time loot so the prices don't tank right away.