Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The right click menu, the clock, and the never combine taskbar options are a step backwards. There is also this funny thing in the start menu where you turn off recommended items, the start menu will still take over space for recommended items even if you have a lot of things pinned to the start menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Internet Explorer posted:

I installed Windows 11 because I wanted to play with the HDR settings and it's been fine. No real complaints. I'll hand in my mod star or whatever.

Just change your name to Edge you monster.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You can restore the original volume menu/slider with WinAeroTweaker

StartAllBack has the option as well, you can chose between 7, 10 and 11 menus.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just change your name to Edge you monster.

The latest Edge update displaying a splash screen advertising some streaming service called "philo" as well as their coupons and "pay later" service integration is pretty absurd as well:
https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/en-us/update/94?exp=ps1-e34&form=MT002O

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
am i missing something or is there no longer an option to not allow windows to automatically download updates in the background?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure there hasn't been in any Windows after 7 (ignoring weird hacks you shouldn't perform or enabling "Metered Connection")

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
On Pro versions you can still use Group Policy to configure Windows Update to notify but not automatically download. I know it works on 10, haven't tried it on 11 yet to confirm.

E:
Here's instructions for configuring that policy or configuring the equivalent registry values. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 22, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Deleting that update orchestra exe always worked well for me.

It downloads and installs automatically, it just never reboots unless you manually do so

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Deleting that update orchestra exe always worked well for me.

It downloads and installs automatically, it just never reboots unless you manually do so

The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Windows 11: I swear I know what I’m doing

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
please do not just start deleting system .exes from your computer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
brb gonna delete explorer.exe to see if that works

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of explorer.exe, anyone else getting it going into crash loops upon resume from sleep or just from the lock screen? It will crash loop for me 8-10 times then be fine all of a sudden. I thought this was an issue with system file corruption so I ran check disk but nothing, smart report comes up clean for the SSD too. Memory tested and it's fine, PSU and GPU fine. Event viewer just gives meaningless babble about ntdll.dll crashing explorer and google is no help. Same hardware with Windows 10, no issues.

I'm about out of ideas so I might just re-install and see if it resolves anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Speaking of explorer.exe, anyone else getting it going into crash loops upon resume from sleep or just from the lock screen? It will crash loop for me 8-10 times then be fine all of a sudden. I thought this was an issue with system file corruption so I ran check disk but nothing, smart report comes up clean for the SSD too. Memory tested and it's fine, PSU and GPU fine. Event viewer just gives meaningless babble about ntdll.dll crashing explorer and google is no help. Same hardware with Windows 10, no issues.

I'm about out of ideas so I might just re-install and see if it resolves anything.

I have had a lot of issues with decreased performance upon boot when I have any slow mass storage devices connected. windows 11 appears to be extra sensitive t those devices. Make sure to boot with the least amount of connected devices possible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

beuges posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Windows 11: I swear I know what I’m doing

Been working for me for three years now. It's the best of all worlds. I automatically get and install the update, the only difference is it will never reboot without me manually doing it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

barnold posted:

please do not just start deleting system .exes from your computer

Yeah, that is the job of crappy game updaters. coughEVE Onlinecough

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MH Knights posted:

Yeah, that is the job of crappy game updaters. coughEVE Onlinecough

Ok please elaborate; this sounds hilarious.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Ok please elaborate; this sounds hilarious.

:ccp:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/12/eve-online-trinity-borks-windows-deletes-boot-ini/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

How do you even gently caress up that badly?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The devs of the game are some of the worst devs in all of the gaming industry. They have this really unique game, unlike any other in existence, and they make the easiest to avoid mistakes.

Deleting the boot.ini is just a small part of that cursed game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was surprised to learn my aging i5 6400 passed the TPM requirement. The CPU itself, of course, isn't supported (for largely arbitrary reasons?).

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sickening posted:

The devs of the game are some of the worst devs in all of the gaming industry. They have this really unique game, unlike any other in existence, and they make the easiest to avoid mistakes.

Deleting the boot.ini is just a small part of that cursed game.

New World devs "Hold my beer"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

eve happened to have a file called boot.ini, and a misplaced slash in the update script meant that instead of deleting boot.ini in the current directory (the eve directory) it deleted boot.ini in the root of the disk instead

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

and this kids, is why in modern operating systems programs get their fingers slapped if they try and stick them in the root directory.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a laptop this year, but wonder how much of a hassle installing 10 might be if it comes with 11. I assume as long as there are drivers which work in 11 there will be drivers for 10, too.

I bought a new laptop yesterday that came with windows 11 (Dell G15 on sale at Best Buy) and after a few hours of trying to get a clean install of Windows 11 and then an “upgrade” to Windows 10 I gave up and just used the media creation tool to create a W10 usb and did it that way in 5 minutes. My Dell provided W11 home license still shows active for W10 home. I find the newest W10 UI’s appearance to be a really pleasing combination of what W10 always was and W11. Wish they would have kept that design.

Not related but this built in mousepad is the worst I’ve ever used and is embarrassing for a $1000 laptop.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
PC Health Check failed me on TPM being turned off (it was). I enabled it, PC Health Checker said YER GOOD, Update said gently caress U.

Google told me to opt into the beta channel in the MS Assistant program or some poo poo; I did, no luck (though I guess I get beta updates for win11 now... yay? :toot:)

I chatted with MS and they just had me download the installation assistant and completely ignore the update error, and also could not provide me with any information as to why PC Health check says F YEA and Windows Update says F YOU

I am going to regret this, aren't I

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need to be a Windows Insider to update. In fact, you should opt out again. Don't follow advice you find through Google.

Have you tried updating from a USB stick you created with the Media Creation Tool?

Edit: Apparently, MS support already told you to do this? Why do you care at all whether WU offers the update? Rollouts of new versions are staggered.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 26, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Fame Douglas posted:

You don't need to be a Windows Insider to update. In fact, you should opt out again. Don't follow advice you find through Google.
I did opt out again*, and generally the last point is well taken, however this is the mismatch I was seeing:

This confused me enough to try to find other people in the same state, which were legion, some of whom had this resolve using Insider settings flip. MS got me to win 11 but made no effort to explain this, it's just a curiosity to me.

quote:

Have you tried updating from a USB stick you created with the Media Creation Tool?

Edit: Apparently, MS support already told you to do this? Why do you care at all whether WU offers the update? Rollouts of new versions are staggered.

What MS had me do was just run the update assistant from a page they sent me to and this worked fine, and that would have been fine with me. The initial workflow of "get PC Health Check to pass and then go to windows update" was a thing I was trying to do because it was the process described on the Microsoft.com "upgrading to windows 11 page".

I am sure I will at some point regret not doing a clean install, but mostly this computer just sits here and looks pretty and plays games like 4 hours a week, so as long as it's doing that and not also running a bunch of malware nodes I don't know about, I'm cool.

I don't actually give a poo poo about win11, I don't think, I just tend to keep things as up to date as possible unless there is some good reason not to.

* opting out actually means you keep getting insider updates until the next major release. I might just dump my OS and reinstall a couple months earlier than my general ~8 month schedule.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 26, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I see. Updating through the Media Creation Tool should pretty much always work. It would have also opted you out of Insider updates when you upgraded from 10 to 11.

Insider builds tend to be pretty frequent, I'd do a fresh install if I were you.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

I see. Updating through the Media Creation Tool should pretty much always work. It would have also opted you out of Insider updates when you upgraded from 10 to 11.

Insider builds tend to be pretty frequent, I'd do a fresh install if I were you.

yep, good points all around, and given that the last time I did a win10 install it was literally 8 mins of active attention and like 30 mins of letting it do it's thing, and then 10 mins of installing drivers and steam.... I should never not do that, probably.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake!!

I am a computer toucher but I spend all my professional time in OSX and linux envs, and wow. I used to feel like I understood windows and kept up on it, now it may as well be the OS that my loving washing machine runs on -- I don't care what it's doing, or how, I just want it to work. Years ago I was downloading windows ME as 1.44mb floppies to try it out early (lol), now I have become the epitome Casual User :aaaaa:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The wallpaper on the desktop switcher is always broken for me. These two should have the same image. Anyone seen this? Google turns up nothing but lovely content mill articles about generic Windows 11 topics or scam sites with AI generated text.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

yep, good points all around, and given that the last time I did a win10 install it was literally 8 mins of active attention and like 30 mins of letting it do it's thing, and then 10 mins of installing drivers and steam.... I should never not do that, probably.

Remember the bad old days of clean installing Windows? You could literally spend an entire day downloading and installing updates. Horrific.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Remember the bad old days of clean installing Windows? You could literally spend an entire day downloading and installing updates. Horrific.

Installing updates, then restarting, running Windows Update again, restarting, another round of Windows Update

Good times.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Critical component download gamification

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As a last ditch effort to see if I could get the wifi drivers in my new pc to work, I thought I'd try to upgrade to Windows 11. But I'm not given the option. Looking it up, it seems MS disabled the upgrade for some Intel PCs for the time being. The reason being... driver issues.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 30, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

When will I be able to move my taskbar to the proper location?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

StartAllBack.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kri kri posted:

Service Pack 1

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

I put mine on the bottom left, what is your proper location?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redeyes posted:

I put mine on the bottom left, what is your proper location?

Proper location is left side of screen

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Installing updates, then restarting, running Windows Update again, restarting, another round of Windows Update

Good times.

Shudder. I think it was either with Windows XP or 7 that my uncle came over from England for one day - not even overnight, just a few hours - and brought his laptop over for me to format. 4GB RAM + dual core processor + spinning metal hard drive + Windows updates¹² = you're gonna have a bad time.

12 hours of babysitting that thing until it was ready and I didn't even have time to defrag.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
yeah those post-SP1 Win7 days were loving dire. unless you made special slipstreamed install media, you knew you were in it for the long haul as soon as you installed the drivers and clicked "Check for updates" for the first time