Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"You don't even notice them cause they're invisible to the naked eye! They are everywhere! Everywhere! They're in everything! You're breathing them in right now, probably. You're drinking them whenever you sip that water you have in your hand there! They're everywhere and they're invisible and they're making you fat and sterile and your kids autistic!!"
"It's been a long day for you huh, sport? Come on let's get you to bed. That's right, come with me. That's right. It's okay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

sci-fi novel idea:

we discover a perfect habitable planet 6,000 light years away

FTL travel invented

we abandon earth on a mass exodus to save humanity

as we get closer to our last hope, the composition of the atmosphere changes as the light years decrease

we arrive to a dead, toxic planet. ruins of an alien civilization cover the surface

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

nikosoft posted:

Thank you for the literature, but early-onset is not the same as 'regular' Alzheimer's dementia, and the post I was replying to mentioned early-onset specifically. I think I've candidly talked this in CSPAM before, but my husband was diagnosed with early-onset several years ago in his mid 30s, and this has certainly accelerated my personal lmao crack ping about the future process.

quote:

in his mid 30s
:stare:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Raine posted:

sci-fi novel idea:

FTL travel invented

as we get closer to our last hope, the composition of the atmosphere changes as the light years decrease

we arrive to a dead, toxic planet. ruins of an alien civilization cover the surface

Realistic re-boot 10 years later:

we have a lot of people claim they are working on FTL to make money

wars are fought over the secrets to FTL to reach salvation

turns out it FTL never existed and the perfectly habitable planet was a trick by Exxon to boost it's quarterly profits to get a better share dividend in Q3 2038

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

so i wake up and drink tea every morning, right?

i decided to go look into this

Yeah I have a box of green tea from costco.

The tea bags are plastic.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

weird i wrote a paper on these leaking plastic in undergrad polymer chem like 6 or 7 years ago and the prof thought it was entirely normal and fine because its not really that much plastic lol

coincidentally he was in plastics development and loved stephen harper

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Puppy Burner posted:

weird i wrote a paper on these leaking plastic in undergrad polymer chem like 6 or 7 years ago and the prof thought it was entirely normal and fine because its not really that much plastic lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

on the left is a set of plastic toys my wife had as a kid which our older kid loves (and generally she is past the point of sticking non food poo poo in her mouth). On the right is a compatible set that I got off eBay as a christmas present, to let them build bigger structures.

the left is undated with a metal tin that is dented, scratched, and otherwise very intact; the right is dated 1977 and by this point the Molenaar toy company had switched to a plastic top, which is cracked severely and clearly will need to be covered in duct tape before my kid destroys it.

Not that interesting, I know, but I just thought it was funny that the plastic toys started with the metal lid, and then went to the plastic lid, and it is worse both because plastic and because it actually does a worse job serving the intended purpose :rubby:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Recently I've being playing Oxygen Not Included . I'm not yet very good at it: I build a nice little colony full of home comforts off the back of coal, and then I run out of coal. And things go to poo poo real fast. When the pumps stop working, the toilets stop working, and there's just piss everywhere. All my residents are knee-deep in piss while the CO2 levels go up and O2 runs out. It's a pretty nice Limits to Growth simulator (although its more about "peak oil" than "climate change") and every time I play it I think of this thread.

There's a way to transition to coal (the tech tree has solar panels, which implies I'm not that far from the surface of the asteroid) but I spend too much time building a luxury hovel instead of planning for the future.

oxygen not included is a particularly good game for teaching the idea of closed systems as a whole. the coal example is one of the first issues players generally run into after the initial fossil-fuel powered period of expansion. another that eventually hits is that everything tends to produce heat, which means temperature slowly rises in the areas that are inhabited by your loveable idiots, especially once you reach higher tier industry. so if you don't eventually move that heat somewhere else, you're going to cook yourself alive. and all of this is based on very basic, very understandable science. and even when you consider the fact that there's a lot of magic tech in the game (critters that eat rocks and crap out coal, heat being magically removed in some circumstances, etc), it still gets you to understand that you need some way to power all the various production cycles to keep things in some kind of dynamic equilibrium, or you'll starve or suffocate

eventually you do get to use energy from the sun directly, as you said, but even then you're limited to how much of it can be collected because you don't have an infinite area to place solar panels. so there's a hard cap to your theoretical solar energy "income", much like in reality, and if you spend more, then you have to dip in accumulated reserves of some other form of energy which is finite

also the game is legit fun, so that helps too. highly recommended

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

just buy loose leaf ffs it's easy as poo poo to make

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Raine posted:

sci-fi novel idea:

FTL travel invented

sci-fi novel idea:

that, but in reverse because the planet that the aliens are trying to get to is earth

they get here and tell the last surviving human that it's possible to travel faster than light as they're gasping their last breaths

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it is worse..because plastic

:mods: can we stop anti-plastic talk. i'm partially made of plastic and this offends me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Epic store has Oxygen not included on sale for 60% off by the by

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

this is from the tea article and it made me lol pretty hard

quote:

That may sound unappetizing, but is it a health risk?

e:

quote:

The Tea and Herbal Association of Canada told CBC News in a statement that the materials used in the tea bags in the study, PET (polyethylene terephthalate, found in plastic drink bottles) and nylon (used in many food bags and pouches), have been deemed safe for use in contact with hot food and beverages. It added there is no evidence the microparticles pose a risk to human health.

:shepface:

Alobar has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Nov 26, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Puppy Burner posted:

I drink orange cinnamon tea and the box explicitly says only steep in ceramic or glass mugs because the orange oil eats through plastic. Lmao if the tea bags they come in are plastic.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

tuyop posted:

Yeah I have a box of green tea from costco.

The tea bags are plastic.
That's Costco plastic though so it's ok

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

goochtit posted:

That's Kirkland Signature plastic though so it's ok

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
folks... we gotta do something about this

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Homeless Friend posted:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

from a pure logic point of view it would make more sense that it’s just me that’s gone insane vs the entire planet

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i've made that exact same observation before; by all account it's what occam's razor is pointing to

so maybe this new data suggests that maybe i'm not insane?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TACD posted:

from a pure logic point of view it would make more sense that it’s just me that’s gone insane vs the entire planet

it's not just you, friend

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

Cast this malthusian nonsense out

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Alobar posted:

sci-fi novel idea:

that, but in reverse because the planet that the aliens are trying to get to is earth

they get here and tell the last surviving human that it's possible to travel faster than light as they're gasping their last breaths

:mods: can we stop anti-plastic talk. i'm partially made of plastic and this offends me.

I literally grew up chewing up chunks of the poo poo on the grounds I assumed it'd pass through me

let's invent technology to weigh plastic in humans, but, then wear it as a badge of pride instead of horror

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Homeless Friend posted:

Welfare goals = 3 yachts for the top 1%

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I don't know anything about new zealand except the rich are all buying property there for the inevitable collapse of western society. How is that going to work out for them when that collapse is a result of climate?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what do you mean "waiting things out in the bunker" isn't a valid strategy?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

500 good dogs posted:

I don't know anything about new zealand except the rich are all buying property there for the inevitable collapse of western society. How is that going to work out for them when that collapse is a result of climate?

Have they worked out how to stop their security forces from turning on them instantly?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i love my tupperware brain.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blockade posted:

Have they worked out how to stop their security forces from turning on them instantly?

Leftists should really be seeding themselves into private security forces to help organize these uprisings

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Blockade posted:

weren't they at the "bomb collars" stage of things last time we talked about this? i imagine they moved on to something like "all food is poisoned and only me and my descendants will have the genetic modification that makes my piss contain the antidote which needs to be taken regularly" or something equally insane

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

500 good dogs posted:

They might export like half their food and might be self-sustaining, but one thing they're not is self-defending.

When things truly go to poo poo, borders and treaties aren't going to mean a damned thing - only "We need food, you HAVE food, and you can't stop us from taking said food. Oh, by the way, nice country, grow us more food, or die."

coke
Jul 12, 2009
they will probably just stick with australia on defense, much like what they've done for a lot of times since anzac in ww1

pretty much all of the chemical and medium/heavy industries are already from australia too, so nz can probably exchange their food for that

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Alobar posted:

sci-fi novel idea:

i like this

bonus: never explicitly give away that the aliens are aliens. the big reveal at the end is when they get to earth

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Raine posted:

i like this

bonus: never explicitly give away that the aliens are aliens. the big reveal at the end is when they get to earth

:hmmyes:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

El Laucha posted:

Just as buddhist monks who embalmed themselfs alive while eating tree bark, I mummify myself with plastic to transcend the physical realm.

once i got really high and had the idea that human plastic synthesis is part of the transhumanist future path

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just imagining a roman scientist just thinking out loud saying “of course it’s the lead pipes which are causing these psychological issues, but these pipes are everywhere and there’s no way we would be able to replace them all, our economy and society depend on them”

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
im sure we will come up with a way to fix the pipes in the future

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
just gotta learn to live with the lead in the meantime

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
also has anyone tried any of these great tasting lead salts in their wine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A Bakers Cousin posted:

im sure we will come up with a way to fix the pipes in the future

As I understand it the pipes weren't the big problem, they built up a relatively protective layer of oxides. No, the sugar of lead and lead cookware did the real damage