Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm flabbergasted by people who think it would be cool to live in Los Angeles or its many surrounds that only idiot californians differentiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I lived in Los Angeles for 6 months and it was fine. But I was a kid.

Also nobody cares about the capitalism message in squid game. It's simply riveting tv because of the the creative games that result in really entertaining/sad/frustrating character interactions. I think if they cut it down to 6 episodes it would be a much stronger show. It had some super boring subplots.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
we're seeing capitalism doing its thing with the anti-capitalist sentiment in real time, basically. there's a market for stuff aimed at people who don't like or are disappointed in capitalism, so naturally capital is flooding there and market shares are carved up and investments are made and content is served for the customers to consume. its like che guevara t-shirts but a hundred times more insidious

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I see people on the twitter react with shock whenever a celebrity or rich person loves an anti-capitalist piece of art like Squid Game or Parasite. They're all like, "I guess you clearly didn't understand it" or "Don't you get it's about you?!" or post that picture of Garfield looking at the no Garfield sign.

Which makes me think that people have a very strange opinion of how liking art works. People seem to have this idea that one's taste in art is reflective of one's own values. And it's just not. Barack Obama wouldn't shrivel up like a vampire in sunlight when confronted with anti-capitalist art, because art doesn't have that power.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

nurmie posted:

we're seeing capitalism doing its thing with the anti-capitalist sentiment in real time, basically. there's a market for stuff aimed at people who don't like or are disappointed in capitalism, so naturally capital is flooding there and market shares are carved up and investments are made and content is served for the customers to consume. its like che guevara t-shirts but a hundred times more insidious

Sentiment is meaningless without a structure to turn that sentiment into political action. It's not bad that Netflix makes shows people want, it's bad that the American government gutted the labor movement. It's bad that the CIA destroyed a score of leftwing governments in the cradle that could've gone on to be alternate models for ordering society.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mu Zeta posted:

I think if they cut it down to 6 episodes it would be a much stronger show.

This is true of most shows in general (a somewhat natural consequence of the move from episodic to serialized storytelling), but Netflix is a fairly consistent offender in that regard.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blue Moonlight posted:

This is true of most shows in general (a somewhat natural consequence of the move from episodic to serialized storytelling), but Netflix is a fairly consistent offender in that regard.

Funny there’s a number of shows I’ve watched that have made me go “this should be twice the length”

Although they tend to not be Netflix stuff

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nurmie posted:

There's a famous quote about capitalism "selling the rope to its own hanging" which I think fits perfectly. Capitalism doesn't innovate; it recuperates.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Capitalism doesn't innovate; it recuperates.

Can you explain this to me? I'm not sure I follow.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Robobot posted:

Can you explain this to me? I'm not sure I follow.

It's just a fancier way of saying that in order to neuter revolutionary ideas, capitalism absorbs and reintroduces them in a less "threatening" way. A great example is Che Guevara t shirts that someone else mentioned. Che was an anti capitalist revolutionary, which is why it's so ironic that people are making money off of shirts with his face on them.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ah, thank you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Undercuts look stupid. Stop shaving half of your head

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People who eat peanut butter when they don't have to are gross. "Yeah i like legume grease I'm not a sociopath."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who eat peanut butter when they don't have to are gross. "Yeah i like legume grease I'm not a sociopath."

Why would anyone ever have to eat peanut butter?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why would anyone ever have to eat peanut butter?

I believe it's used as emergency rations during famines and whatnot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

100% peanut butter without palm oil or sugar or whatever is a relatively tasty and healthy thing to put on your bread

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

i know a guy who got somewhat rich off bitcoin but he's semi-depressed because he's aware that while he worked hard at his job (a fairly prestigious job too) the thing that made most of his money was this one impulsive decision he made back in 2011 or whatever rather than the things he actually did

i wouldn't have this problem, i'd just be happy with the money because i hate work, but if you're the kind of guy that loves hard work and stuff it apparently kind of sucks to get money from nowhere

That's fine, he can give it to me and ill give him a small wage which he can earn from doing my laundry

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

2$ an hour??? pfft, of course that's enough to live on??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Everybody knows that the racing and sports games are the only canonical Mario games, and all the narrative Mario games are just plays Mario and his friends put on to entertain the player.

But from that it becomes clear that all the Mario characters are also canonically good people, because they are all allowed to race on Rainbow Road which is in heaven.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

100% peanut butter without palm oil or sugar or whatever is a relatively tasty and healthy thing to put on your bread

No it absolutely isn't, YOU gently caress.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
phuo: Peanut butter on bread is gross anyway; goopy plus soft? Barf.

Try graham crackers and/or chocolate chips.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You lightly toast the bread before adding peanut butter to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peanut butter on apple slices is like tasting angel cum

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Khizan posted:

You lightly toast the bread before adding peanut butter to it.

toasting bread is for anglos who also only eat white bread for some reason

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shibawanko posted:

toasting bread is for anglos who also only eat white bread for some reason

What

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Truly, only white people can harness the full power of the Maillard reaction

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Earlier this month I was part of a conversation where someone wondered why we don’t get many stories about a person going from well-meaning revolutionary to authoritarian despite having many examples of that in modern history only for someone else to come in and and say that a story like that would be a slap in the face of anyone trying to make the world better and I don’t know why this has stuck with me but it does.

If you can’t handle the notion that “wanting to make the world a better place doesn’t make it impossible for you to do harm” you shouldn’t be a part of any larger movement

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

christmas boots posted:

Truly, only white people can harness the full power of the Maillard reaction

Was wondering if this could be framed as a Captain Planet joke, then realised Wheeler already uses fire.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Isn't that a really common modern plot beat though? 'Oh no turns out the escaped slaves were just as bad as the slavers, no difference between good and bad, I am very smart'

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Strategic Tea posted:

Isn't that a really common modern plot beat though? 'Oh no turns out the escaped slaves were just as bad as the slavers, no difference between good and bad, I am very smart'

Yeah there's plenty of stories like that. If there are fewer of them recently than the obvious reasons for that would be that every kid in America was forced to read Animal Farm in school and now as writers don't want to do Animal Farm, and they also don't want to be accused of ripping off Hunger Games.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
some revolutions are authoritarian by design so I am not really sure what the point is. liberal democracy can in many ways be just as destructive and cruel as authoritarian styles of government

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Strategic Tea posted:

I can only think of Bioshock Infinite for doing doing that, tbh. I’m open to being wrong on this but I don’t think it’s a common plot beat at all

Following that, I think there’s a huge difference between “actually the slaves and the slavers are morally the same” and “being a revolutionary doesn’t prevent you from being a huge piece of poo poo”

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
"What do you want for your birthday/Christmas/whatever?" is a dumb question that defeats the purpose of gift giving. A gift is special because it shows you've been thinking about the person and understand their tastes, or because you want to share something you also enjoy. Asking what they want is throwing that thoughtfulness back onto the receiver and reducing the gift to empty consumption for consumption's sake. If you have to give a gift and don't know the receiver well enough to know what they'd like, either accept "nothing" as an answer or just do cash!

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Nov 26, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're saying Finns aren't white.

Which is true.

E: toast rye is delicious, by the by.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Hardcordion posted:

"What do you want for your birthday/Christmas/whatever?" is a dumb question that defeats the purpose of gift giving. A gift is special because it shows you've been thinking about the person and understand their tastes, or because you want to share something you also enjoy. Asking what they want is throwing that thoughtfulness back onto the receiver and reducing the gift to empty consumption for consumption's sake. If you have to give a gift and don't know the receiver well enough to know what they'd like, either accept "nothing" as an answer or just do cash!

One million percent this. If you are asking what I want chances are it'd be better off for all involved to go with no gift at all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're saying Finns aren't white.

Which is true.

E: toast rye is delicious, by the by.

Mmm I’d love to put some peanut butter on those

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I can't even remember the last time I had a piece of pre-sliced white bread. Maaaaybe a couple years ago visiting my parents I had a piece of wheat bread, so the same 30g of sugar. I don't remember my last American cheese single either. Or the last time I 'took communion' (bread, crackers, or wafers).

I have failed my homeland :eng99: Thank (their) God.

Hardcordion posted:

A gift is special because it shows you've been thinking about the person and understand their tastes, or because you want to share something you also enjoy.
On the other hand, I've stopped giving gifts unless it's Christmas or liquor because things backfired too often. Even knowing people well, I've given a gift and later found out it was offensive to them in some way because of something that happened in their life they hadn't yet had a chance to tell me.

"Asking when expected to give" is probably better than "offending accidentally at random times". But I don't understand people so. :saddowns:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I'd rather get something I actually want rather than some random bullshit. :shrug:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Literally every culture with bread also had/has toast. You're dunking in Shibwanako who solely posts the dumbest low hanging fruit troll posts in this thread. Just absolute dogshit opinions no one would have to generate controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Mmm I’d love to put some peanut butter on those

HECK YOU!111222elvatolvakatinkorva