Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump would have shut down air traffic from all of Africa immediately.

I’m not saying it would be for noble reasons, but he would absolutely make that call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mod sassinator posted:

lmao the fact we went from Fauci saying "look it's fine, we'll wait for the data and make the right call" to immediate "US banning travel with SA and other countries" in the span of an hour should tell you all you need to know about the potential severity of this thing

or that the white house isn't really consulting fauci on policy any more. they've had their own covid czar and it's been unclear what exactly fauci's job has been this year other than going on tv and telling people everything's fine.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

nexous posted:

horse is getting out, better shut the barn doors…. on Monday

More like horse is already a mile away

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Platystemon posted:

Pour one out for the Biden administration lanyard-holders who have to workshop how to blame this on the unvaccinated over the holiday weekend.

26% of SA is vaccinated, as long as the unvaccinated are around to act as a reservoir covid is going to keep loving us. Goto brunch.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gio posted:

just a reminder that d&d was two days ago explaining away this variant as a likely nothingburger
The nothingburg principle

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CongoJack posted:

More like horse is already a mile away

*swallows a bunch of horse dewormer*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Joementum posted:

very long standing precedent in US law that citizens can't be restricted from entering the US

(unless they're terrorists by which we really just mean muslims of course)

does that mean airlines are compelled to fly if they find it’s unprofitable though?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

does that mean airlines are compelled to fly if they find it’s unprofitable though?

weren’t they doing this to keep their airspace reservations in 2020 anyways

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

corona familiar posted:

what if this actually does cause people to freak out and stop suckin and fuckin so we get less of a wave than last year

lol

LOL

yeah not gonna happen

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

This isn't really Covid related but it's flight related so I'm posting it here anyway https://twitter.com/turbulence898/status/1463897304499462150?s=20

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Platystemon posted:

I’m not saying it would be for noble reasons, but he would absolutely make that call.

And after he did that, he would've learned about the omicron variant

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

corona familiar posted:

weren’t they doing this to keep their airspace reservations in 2020 anyways

yeah they were just flying empty planes constantly lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Trump in Florida right now, dictating a press release/tweet demanding the country of Africa be hit hard to stop the spread.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
all the hubub about omicron is going to hide the fact we'll probably have a third or fourth state requesting federal help today or this weekend because its hospital system is collapsing/full. michigan and colorado so far are down. minnesota next?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

we all just out here jokerifying one after the other
:rubby:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Chamale posted:

New variant is somewhere between 30% worse and 500% worse, the vaccines we have might not affect it at all, and it's bad enough that the US is immediately implementing travel restrictions. You definitely want a bean hoard in case it's anywhere close to the worst-case scenario. But mass panic hasn't started yet so if you're in the ICU waiting for your uncle to die, probably OK to stay there.

Sitting in the ICU waiting for my uncle to die of a highly transmissible virus, so that I can leave to go to Costco and stock up for the next, even worse virus, what a world :allears:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1464290776280666112

Martin wants public health destroyed and is volunteering to replace Fauci

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chamale posted:

Please show me your Zen ways. I'm feeling extremely depressed and wondering if I shouldn't bother signing up for next semester's classes.

There's nothing to do about any of this that you weren't already doing. Live your life, if things get worse at least you'll have made the attempt.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm not going to take this seriously until the NFL cancel the season.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Lacrosse posted:

This isn't really Covid related but it's flight related so I'm posting it here anyway https://twitter.com/turbulence898/status/1463897304499462150?s=20

quote:

Hello, my name is Turbulence. Pilot, birb, fursuiter."

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Well... and here I thought I'd just asphyxiate on carbon dioxide one day

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

American Exponentialism Strikes Again!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
also lolling at people who looked at cases two months ago, booked travel for thanksgiving, flew out earlier this week casually thinking "i've been so good, just bobbing and weaving my way through this pandemic--i'm real smart", had dinner with their families yesterday where everyone talked about how nice it is that everything is normal again, and now they're waking up today with a tickle in the back of their throat, news of omicron potentially making their vaccine useless, and a check-in notification for their flight home tomorrow

lol. lmao. don't loving travel and plan gatherings during a pandemic

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lacrosse posted:

This is the most the US government has done since March 2020

lol its already in Canada

the US probably just jumped on that ban because they have 'africa' in their name

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lol can't wait for the 2022 variant with 57 mutations that cause you to infect people through merely looking at them

Ah, the Langford Variant. :lsd:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Oh lol I didn't even look at their profile I thought it was one of those flight story news collector accounts

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I declare this suck and gently caress winter

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the flight hasn't departed yet

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL187/history/20211126/2010Z/FAOR/KEWR

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i re-watched Alien not too long ago, and why am i feeling like we're at the part where the face hugger detached from kane's face, and everyone's having breakfast brunch and everything's going great, oh but kane just started coughing for some reason

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lol imagine being on that flight right now reading the news

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do you think that Omicron will snipe any low‐tier oligarchs before Paxlovid becomes available to them?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

looking forward to the variant where my antibodies switch sides and join covid

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Do you think that Omicron will snipe any low‐tier oligarchs before Paxlovid becomes available to them?

all i know is bolsonaro's gonna get it at least twice

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

durrneez posted:

drat

what a terrible time to be without health insurance lol!!! :tif:

Got laid off in May, spent the time since then in a room playing xbox. Both safer and cheaper than working. Game Pass > health insurance.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

smoobles posted:

Lol imagine being on that flight right now reading the news

Remembering the times when travelers were full tilt running for busses and trains so they wouldn't get stuck, wonder if we're about to witness that again

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there are currently flights in the air that departed JNB going to cape town, dubai, zurich, paris, istanbul, and DRC

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

30 minutes until New Jersey pops this poo poo off in America

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

Got laid off in May, spent the time since then in a room playing xbox. Both safer and cheaper than working. Game Pass > health insurance.

goon.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lacrosse posted:

Remembering the times when travelers were full tilt running for busses and trains so they wouldn't get stuck, wonder if we're about to witness that again

hoping my handsome prime minister tells all travelling canadians to Come* again

*home