Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Chiming in late to say Adblock pro for safari is pretty drat good. Even blocks ads in YouTube in safari. That and Noir for safari, great dark mode for every website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Some questions though. Is there a recommended Safari content blocker? I’ve been using Bitwarden for passwords, should I migrate to the built-in iOS one?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Some questions though. Is there a recommended Safari content blocker? I’ve been using Bitwarden for passwords, should I migrate to the built-in iOS one?

Do you have a bitwarden extension or just the keyboard thingy?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

tuyop posted:

Do you have a bitwarden extension or just the keyboard thingy?

…Neither? I just installed the app

Edit: Oh my god I didn’t even realize I could let Bitwarden auto fill along with iCloud

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 25, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
why do all of the official iphone 13 cases have absolutely garbage color options compared to the 12 cases, what the hell apple

did they fire everyone who was involved in making the new imac immediately after that shipped or something? what happened to fun colors, all the color options for both the phones and cases are dogshit now and now i'm stuck trying to find a third party 13 mini case with magsafe compatibility that isnt clear or black and that seems to be impossible

iphone 13 mini cases don't fit the 13 and i just want a case like this :negative: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK003ZM/A/iphone-12-12-pro-silicone-case-with-magsafe-pistachio if anyone knows a third party case that looks like that has wireless charging support (i guess i can take or leave magsafe, im not looking to stick a wallet to my phone or whatever the gently caress) lmk

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 25, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

A lot of non-western retailers don’t use “pistachio” for that shade of green, but take the big brain approach and use “matcha” which can be a wide variance of greens instead.

This one looks close, but I’m basing that off the product image on Amazon and literally nothing else. I imagine searching “matcha green iPhone 13 case” can net some similar results; some lighter than others.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C82GN94/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As someone with a blue iPhone 13 pro, I have to say it was unexpectedly hard to find a case that complements the phone. None of the official Apple cases work. I ended up just buying a slim case in a darker blue.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Vegetable posted:

As someone with a blue iPhone 13 pro, I have to say it was unexpectedly hard to find a case that complements the phone. None of the official Apple cases work. I ended up just buying a slim case in a darker blue.

I feel like the wisteria case goes great, but I’m biased because purple is my favorite color.

Is there a setting that makes the Face ID trigger at odd angles? I swear there was when I was researching stuff prior to delivery. It’d be nice to not have to barely lift my phone and be lazy

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Spigen all the way

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096HVKHPT

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have one issue with Spigen cases, and it's pretty common with pretty much all case makers except Apple: the bumper goes across the bottom edge of the phone and kind of gets in the way of doing app switching gestures. It still works fine, it's just not perfect.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m missing the rounded sides of my old 8 plus if only because they helped keep the case on, I almost never had to pop corners back in.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Vegetable posted:

I had exactly the same issue; I went with a Mujjo blue leather case which seems to fit as nicely as the official Apple case, but it was also nearly as expensive as the official Apple case. :(

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

I have one issue with Spigen cases, and it's pretty common with pretty much all case makers except Apple: the bumper goes across the bottom edge of the phone and kind of gets in the way of doing app switching gestures. It still works fine, it's just not perfect.

I have some bad news about the last two years and seemingly the future of Apple cases…

Can't say they've ever cause me much of an issue though

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looks like ATT has the 11 Pro for $1/month for 36 months. No trade-in needed.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Looks like ATT has the 11 Pro for $1/month for 36 months. No trade-in needed.

I was considering upgrading from my X to a 13 Pro Max or whatever but it looks like at least for Xfinity Mobile all their deals require porting over a number and starting a new line. Guess I’ll keep waiting.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone give the new airpods a try? How's the fit with the weird new shape?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

One of my friends has a China whatever Fulfilled by Amazon 13 case, and the microphone holes are off by the tiniest amount that it makes the mic drop out more than stock cases during convos. Most people wouldn’t notice but it bugs me to hell when talking with her

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

tuyop posted:

Anyone give the new airpods a try? How's the fit with the weird new shape?

They are just like the AirPods Pro minus the in ear part. The older style AirPods fit in my ear well but the new ones were kind of kind of big and did not sit well in my ear. They were loose so easier to slip out if I moved my head quickly. I ended up returning them after a couple of days because they felt loose and I constantly felt like they would fall out if moved the wrong way. They did sound better than older ones though. They sounded noticeably clearer to me. I'm not a fan of spatial audio so can't speak much about that. It just sounds like a gimmick for most stuff I tried from the spatial audio playlist. The head tracking thing changes the sound so it always seems as if it was in front of you.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have replaced 7 AirPods Pro since launch. Hallelujah!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sorry about your acidic ears.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m on a cruise until Monday so only have wifi, and for godknows what reason my phone has logged me out of iMessage and I can’t get back on without a cell signal. It’s been like 12 hours since I got onboard, what the actual hell. I can’t keep in touch with a bunch of friends now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m on a cruise until Monday so only have wifi, and for godknows what reason my phone has logged me out of iMessage and I can’t get back on without a cell signal. It’s been like 12 hours since I got onboard, what the actual hell. I can’t keep in touch with a bunch of friends now.

Go back to the bar!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

Go back to the bar!

He didnt buy the unlimited drinks package though!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does iMessage need a cell signal to verify your account?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t think it does because you can use iMessage on a Mac, iPad or iPod touch.

The first thing that pops in my head is that maybe the network, firewall, whatever on that boat is blocking iCloud or other types of Apple stuff traffic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or it's one of those those lovely AP's that intercept all SSL traffic to inject their own cert to break basically everything.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Today I ordered my 13 Mini 256gb in blue. I cannot wait to be rid of this rounded edge oversized piece of crap 11. I put up with this for over two years. I will not miss it.

I’m on xfinity mobile because they have better service than ATT in my house and area and they are cheap. I’m getting $450 off my phone plus $185 for my trade in. So about $630 towards my $830. That’s silly. They demand the phone is put on a 24 month payment plan (stupid). I’d rather full pay but I won’t be switching carriers so they win.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Today I ordered my 13 Mini 256gb in blue. I cannot wait to be rid of this rounded edge oversized piece of crap 11. I put up with this for over two years. I will not miss it.

I’m on xfinity mobile because they have better service than ATT in my house and area and they are cheap. I’m getting $450 off my phone plus $185 for my trade in. So about $630 towards my $830. That’s silly. They demand the phone is put on a 24 month payment plan (stupid). I’d rather full pay but I won’t be switching carriers so they win.

I hadn’t seen Xfinity Mobile with any iPhone deals for existing customers, just porting in and/or adding a line. Don’t see the deal you referenced on the website either. Was that some kind of in-store special?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Referee posted:

I hadn’t seen Xfinity Mobile with any iPhone deals for existing customers, just porting in and/or adding a line. Don’t see the deal you referenced on the website either. Was that some kind of in-store special?

I think it fell under an ‘add a 5G device to your plan’. So I think I needed to add another number to my account; but I’ll just stick my SIM card into the new device so it takes my number. I did it in store as there is one close to me and I was out today. We have three lines used on my account (myself/wife/spare we have as a home phone). I don’t remember all the details. I just asked the team member there what the deals were. She said it was going through the 6th or 7th.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think it fell under an ‘add a 5G device to your plan’. So I think I needed to add another number to my account; but I’ll just stick my SIM card into the new device so it takes my number. I did it in store as there is one close to me and I was out today. We have three lines used on my account (myself/wife/spare we have as a home phone). I don’t remember all the details. I just asked the team member there what the deals were. She said it was going through the 6th or 7th.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info :)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

New phone arrived and I forgot I was running the iOS beta on this one, so now it’s been sat there for like half an hour after downloading the relevant beta update thinking about actually installing it.

At some point I may just give up on transferring my poo poo and start over I guess!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Josh Lyman posted:

Every time I’ve travelled abroad and purchased a data eSim, I’ve only been able to iMessage from my email address and it makes a mess of my conversation history. iMessage activates with a background SMS to your phone number or something similar.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

101 posted:

I have some bad news about the last two years and seemingly the future of Apple cases…

Can't say they've ever cause me much of an issue though

to this point, does anyone have a case that they think is particularly good at not getting in the way of gestures (while still having some sort of lip)? I've actually had a bunch of trouble getting the edge gestures to work consistently on a caseless phone; I'm worried I'm gonna get the wrong case and this thing's gonna become impossible to use

this phone is pretty good but drat are the bad hardware decisions just really obnoxious, because you know Apple knows about them and just doesn't care. the camera bump is dumb and makes me just wish they made the whole thing thicker (at least that'll be mooted by getting a case), face ID is just objectively worse than touch ID in every way (is it supposed to somehow work in the dark or am I just not supposed to use my phone with the light off :confused:), the lack of bezel looks cool but makes the phone really annoying to hold

the new macbook pro makes me somewhat hopeful that apple has realized they've made all their poo poo worse to use in the name of making it 0.2mm thinner or whatever, but I assume phone market trends hyper fixating on size across the board means they'll never be like "here's a slightly thicker phone with more battery that's easier to hold"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have the apple leather case for my 12 mini and it's been great. i know people complain about them in here but i don't really know why. i had apple leather cases on my 5s and 7 plus and those were great too. i drop my phone all the time and it's never been damaged, the case isn't super bulky and if it gets scuffed up it sort of heals itself over time

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

abraham linksys posted:

face ID is just objectively worse than touch ID in every way (is it supposed to somehow work in the dark or am I just not supposed to use my phone with the light off :confused:)

I do miss touchID when masked, but faceID absolutely works in the dark. It doesn’t rely on visible light, it shoots a unique pattern of invisible laser beams at your face and IDs off that.

You can see the beams on cheap security cameras.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

I do miss touchID when masked, but faceID absolutely works in the dark. It doesn’t rely on visible light, it shoots a unique pattern of invisible laser beams at your face and IDs off that.

ah, fair enough. it can't seem to detect my face any time i am not looking straight ahead so probably when i'm lying in bed i've just been at angles it can't figure out, i guess. which is also a stupid problem that i shouldn't have because this should just have touchid, but anyways

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

abraham linksys posted:

ah, fair enough. it can't seem to detect my face any time i am not looking straight ahead so probably when i'm lying in bed i've just been at angles it can't figure out, i guess. which is also a stupid problem that i shouldn't have because this should just have touchid, but anyways

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

eddiewalker posted:

It’s an infrared LED dot projector, no laser involved, just to be pedantic.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vegetable posted:

I'm about to get a sierra blue 13 pro max and trying to figure out which case to get. Part of me thinks if I'm never gonna see the actual phone just get a project red. Otherwise just the clear and hope it doesn't yellow into a pea green over a year?

The other part of me just wants to get another Spigen but bundling the phone/case/charger just seems simpler for starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm about to get a sierra blue 13 pro max and trying to figure out which case to get. Part of me thinks if I'm never gonna see the actual phone just get a project red. Otherwise just the clear and hope it doesn't yellow into a pea green over a year?

The other part of me just wants to get another Spigen but bundling the phone/case/charger just seems simpler for starts.

From Apple’s site, and I have this combo too, but I’ll keep trumpeting Wisteria and Sierra Blue is a great combo