Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Uh so looking at Kalustyan's and stuff, it doesn't seem like any of the stuff listed have expiration dates? How do I know what will keep the longest? Also how much I'll need since like yeah, need six months at least I figure to store but yeah. If I don't know how long it keeps, it's hard to calculate that.

inferis posted:

lmao if we somehow magically got a lockdown for the strain where it won’t help

How would it not help? Like that's the one and only real meaningful thing - assuming it was a real lockdown - that could help, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Chamale posted:

It's somewhere between 8 and 36, data is still very sketchy

hehehe a margin of "extremely bad" to "worst virus known to mankind"

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

I am so mad at these cowards going with omicron

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

corona familiar posted:

lol if the R_0 is 36 wouldn’t that mean it would infect the entire US population in 5.5 generations

no way

R0 assumes the population isn't taking any precautions. The Re in South Africa is currently around 2 with their current behaviour, although that number could be wrong by a wide margin if testing is faulty.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

inferis posted:

there’s still people who don’t think it’s airborne

thinking back to the guy that kramered into this thread earlier in the week saying we were idiots and he got the shot and still washed his hands so he was fine

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1464327805836083201?t=yG6QE2RP4zUrwCOuqeE4KQ&s=19

Good news?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
maybe if it grows more spikes it'll become too many and be spikeless

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Wtf they went with Omicron lol that's like way harder to joke on

Omic Ron Burgundy?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1422993942593904640?t=D5kvgSTXsbb0UZNhQGc_Og&s=19

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Need more data on actual rates given their low vax rate

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah. We need more data points, but this one goes in the good news pile. Sample size is way too small to matter though.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

I love small sample sizes.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Chamale posted:

R0 assumes the population isn't taking any precautions. The Re in South Africa is currently around 2 with their current behaviour, although that number could be wrong by a wide margin if testing is faulty.

yeah I was wondering what the R_eff was. 2 is still quite a bit worse than Delta in US metros from what I can tell (somewhere between 0.9 and 1.2 R_eff)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Also related to my questions; I think things are now dire enough that in addition to the respirator guide, the OP should probably maybe include a quick rundown on doomsday prep foods and similar stuff because, lol, yeah, assuming R8-R36 is valid, then we're absolutely in a situation where complete societal collapse is extremely plausible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
when blue maga realizes their vaccines don't work anymore and we might have another 6-9 months of making news ones, they are gonna double and triple down on "China is at fault for all this and they MUST PAY". they're going to be more sinophobic and racist than the trumpers lol

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How would it not help? Like that's the one and only real meaningful thing - assuming it was a real lockdown - that could help, no?

in Hong Kong it passed between two people in quarantine rooms, if the r0 is 36 people living in apartments will infect all their neighbors and grocery deliveries will do the rest

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Also related to my questions; I think things are now dire enough that in addition to the respirator guide, the OP should probably maybe include a quick rundown on doomsday prep foods and similar stuff because, lol, yeah, assuming R8-R36 is valid, then we're absolutely in a situation where complete societal collapse is extremely plausible.

spin off a pandemic cooking thread imo

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

IAMKOREA posted:

I've crack pinged so hard I'm literally smiling reading this thread like the guy driving the car in the asteroid meme gently caress lmao

I've been doing the exact same poo poo. Darude sandstorm has been on loop in my head while reading all new news.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

20% of south africa is vaccinated IIRC. we would assume hospitalizations would follow a similar low vaccinated number

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

inferis posted:

in Hong Kong it passed between two people in quarantine rooms, if the r0 is 36 people living in apartments will infect all their neighbors and grocery deliveries will do the rest

Heavily gain-of-functioned smallpox once spread 14km over water, confirmed.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

when the large majority of the public is unvaccinated this seems like the obvious result? Like you'd want the delta between those ratios not just 'more unvaccinated' because, well, duh?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I've been sober all of 2021 and it's been reaaaaal tempting to pour a big glass of liquor today

dont do it, raw dog reality with me

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

silicone thrills posted:

I've been doing the exact same poo poo. Darude sandstorm has been on loop in my head while reading all new news.

I'm glad I broke my brain months ago so all I can do is laugh

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the fact that ANY vaccinated people are hospitalized with omicron when only 20% of SA is vaccinated is... not good

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think considering the situation God might be flexible on the no sex before marriage rule.

don’t tell him about our first date🤫

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

By a quick googling 23% of South Africa's population is vaccinated. If Omicron evaded vaccines completely I'd expect the majority of patients to be unvaccinated just due to statistics.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

jinx_player posted:

First recorded detection of this variant was on November 9th in South Africa. If it is as bad as it could be, it would already be everywhere (read: right behind you!)

I think they said first known case in Belgium was Nov 11. lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
you guys just want omicron to be the terminal twelve monkeys style apocalypse virus because it justifies your cowardly agoraphobic avoidance of everything over the past 18 months. the simple fact is that covid isn’t that bad, and if you are vaccinated it is over entirely. maybe learn to cut your losses and admit that all the masks and constant boosters were maybe a little bit too much, and that you might have overreacted a little bit.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

inferis posted:

didn't they say the guy was a dick and didn't cover his mask's exhaust valve - the virus was probably lingering in the hallway because of that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Crack ping anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdycnbjpGI

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

when blue maga realizes their vaccines don't work anymore and we might have another 6-9 months of making news ones, they are gonna double and triple down on "China is at fault for all this and they MUST PAY". they're going to be more sinophobic and racist than the trumpers lol

it would be more harmless if they were mad at afrikaners which seems like a manageable distraction for liberals, dangling white folks w/ questionable racial beliefs for them to beef on is like jangling keys for a baby

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Stereotype posted:

you guys just want omicron to be the terminal twelve monkeys style apocalypse virus because it justifies your cowardly agoraphobic avoidance of everything over the past 18 months. the simple fact is that covid isn’t that bad, and if you are vaccinated it is over entirely. maybe learn to cut your losses and admit that all the masks and constant boosters were maybe a little bit too much, and that you might have overreacted a little bit.

this is mostly true

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

https://kalustyans.com/? Never heard of them before. But neat! This looks like stuff I'd have liked to know about even in the Before Times!

yep

the website isn’t great, but the selection absolutely is.

worth visiting in person if you are in the area, ~28th/lex

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

didn't they say the guy was a dick and didn't cover his mask's exhaust valve - the virus was probably lingering in the hallway because of that

exhaust valves release fewer particles than cloth or surgical masks

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

the fact that ANY vaccinated people are hospitalized with omicron when only 20% of SA is vaccinated is... not good

we don't know what vaccines though

the lady who had 2 doses of Pfizer months ago was asymptomatic - that's promising

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it’s all dry spices/rice/etc

it’ll last a while, I still have lentils from March 2020 that are good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Biden is banning flights, but only from a small section of southern Africa, and not until Monday.

How do these morons think this works

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Stereotype posted:

Mostly I'm just afraid if getting brain damage, but I've learned to stop worrying and embrace the memory loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

mod sassinator posted:

lmfao this is an empty gesture the variant has 32 loving mutations mostly in the spike protein. the vaccine won't do poo poo. they're just buying time to look like they're doing something until there's irrefutable proof of vaccine evasion in a week or two